Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gone electric 07:19 - Sep 12 with 5061 viewshampstead_blue

Just ordered our new run around.....BMW i3.
Get it in two weeks.

Anyone here have a pure electric car? Be happy for some tips.....

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Gone electric on 11:21 - Sep 12 with 2182 viewsJohnWarksTash

Gone electric on 11:07 - Sep 12 by hoppy

"...and one is so close I could push the car there!"

Have you ever had to because you haven't had enough range?

Nope as I don't have an electric car yet :)

I am looking at one when I renew my current car, but that's two years off so tech will have moved on.

My problem is I live on a high street so can't really have charging at home....that makes things harder!
Gone electric on 11:29 - Sep 12 with 2169 viewswkj

Gone electric on 11:21 - Sep 12 by JohnWarksTash

Nope as I don't have an electric car yet :)

I am looking at one when I renew my current car, but that's two years off so tech will have moved on.

My problem is I live on a high street so can't really have charging at home....that makes things harder!

They just put some chargers in at Harleston co-op, I really think us rural suffolkians are setting the trend for electric car infrastructure now

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Gone electric on 11:31 - Sep 12 with 2161 viewsJohnWarksTash

Gone electric on 11:29 - Sep 12 by wkj

They just put some chargers in at Harleston co-op, I really think us rural suffolkians are setting the trend for electric car infrastructure now

The Co-Op seem well equipped....the one in Wickham Market has them too.
Gone electric on 12:14 - Sep 12 with 2130 viewsblue62

Not gone electric as yet, do have a Golf GTE which saves me a fortune on fuel, travel 17 miles to work each day (and back). I only put in £45 worth of fuel in last month, compared to £180 when I was running a diesel.

Going to consider the new VW ID next year when the company car is up for renewal, for most of my use it would be perfect.
Gone electric on 12:16 - Sep 12 with 2127 viewshampstead_blue

Gone electric on 09:17 - Sep 12 by ElephantintheRoom

You make my point for me - electric cars are a totally impractical (and costly) middle class indulgence for pseudo eco warriors to feel good about themselves. Granted living in London makes them slightly less daft, but the need for a proper car do do any lengthy journies - or perish the thought, two small trips in one day makes them a total irrelevance at present.

You can't escape the reality that if the UK went totally green and thrilled that Swedish school girl it wouldn't make an iota of difference. Perhaps people in the real world, like the Chinese for example have a better handle on this than middle class, middle england. Any cars over 8 years old are scrapped there. No tax benefits and no 'free' electricity. Just a practical solution in an area where change actually makes a difference.

Not much of a classic car market in China I suppose.

not sure about that.

Most people don't drive far enough to drain the battery of something like a Tesla, Ipace.
The i3 has a range of around 100 to 120 miles. Plenty for the vast majority of people.

And I am certainly not middle class nor an eco warrior.

Edit; I want to get the Range Rover Sport hybrid but Mrs H won't let me. The deals on leasing for ex-forces are fantastic at the moment. If she did I'd still be working class. ;-)
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 12:19]

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Gone electric on 14:28 - Sep 12 with 2084 viewsClapham_Junction

You make my point for me - electric cars are a totally impractical (and costly) middle class indulgence for pseudo eco warriors to feel good about themselves. Granted living in London makes them slightly less daft, but the need for a proper car do do any lengthy journies - or perish the thought, two small trips in one day makes them a total irrelevance at present.

You can't escape the reality that if the UK went totally green and thrilled that Swedish school girl it wouldn't make an iota of difference. Perhaps people in the real world, like the Chinese for example have a better handle on this than middle class, middle england. Any cars over 8 years old are scrapped there. No tax benefits and no 'free' electricity. Just a practical solution in an area where change actually makes a difference.

Presumably you're not aware that the Chinese government offers subsidies for electric vehicles.

Last time I was there, all but one of the taxis we used were electric.
Gone electric on 18:38 - Sep 12 with 2028 viewsFreddies_Ears

Gone electric on 12:16 - Sep 12 by hampstead_blue

not sure about that.

Most people don't drive far enough to drain the battery of something like a Tesla, Ipace.
The i3 has a range of around 100 to 120 miles. Plenty for the vast majority of people.

And I am certainly not middle class nor an eco warrior.

Edit; I want to get the Range Rover Sport hybrid but Mrs H won't let me. The deals on leasing for ex-forces are fantastic at the moment. If she did I'd still be working class. ;-)
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 12:19]

I suspect it will be many years before I can go electric, as I regularly drive 500+ miles in a day - often for away games, where charging opportunities around a football stadium are not great. Equally, my mum lives 200 miles away and with no charging point anywhere near her remote-ish nursing home.

I'd need a real-world range of 600 miles, or the comfort of knowing that I could add enough charge without having to wait for hours.
Gone electric on 19:04 - Sep 12 with 2023 viewshampstead_blue

Gone electric on 18:38 - Sep 12 by Freddies_Ears

I suspect it will be many years before I can go electric, as I regularly drive 500+ miles in a day - often for away games, where charging opportunities around a football stadium are not great. Equally, my mum lives 200 miles away and with no charging point anywhere near her remote-ish nursing home.

I'd need a real-world range of 600 miles, or the comfort of knowing that I could add enough charge without having to wait for hours.

you are one of the few.

How about hydrogen? My firm are doing a lot of work with Toyota at the moment. We saw their latest hydrogen car at their UK traning academy last week. Awesome.
That is about infrastructure.

I think TFL are talking to them about hydrogen taxis.....That will be just awesome for londoners and the country as a whole.
The Met are also sniffing.

Electric battery technology needs to move forward and away from lithium. Am learning a lot about the tech right now with this new client relationship.

Can't wait to get the Panda (monochrome i3!!)....

Login to get fewer ads

Gone electric on 19:07 - Sep 12 with 2020 viewsSpruceMoose

It's amazing really, the fact that there doesn't seem to be a single subject on which your opinions don't make me think that you're an utter plank.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Gone electric on 00:26 - Sep 13 with 1975 viewsFreddies_Ears

Gone electric on 19:04 - Sep 12 by hampstead_blue

you are one of the few.

How about hydrogen? My firm are doing a lot of work with Toyota at the moment. We saw their latest hydrogen car at their UK traning academy last week. Awesome.

I think TFL are talking to them about hydrogen taxis.....That will be just awesome for londoners and the country as a whole.

Electric battery technology needs to move forward and away from lithium. Am learning a lot about the tech right now with this new client relationship.

I may be being a bit pessimistic, as technology is certainly moving quickly. Hydrogen? Isn't there an explosion risk???
Gone electric on 01:37 - Sep 13 with 1955 viewsJimInGreensboro

Gone electric on 08:50 - Sep 12 by ElephantintheRoom

erm no - just like any electric car you cant leave your indulgence zone when driving because its range is so limited. And you have to refuel it every day at the planet's expense. Google where your hampstead electricity comes from as well - my guess is wood chips from North Carolina virgin forests currently classified as green burnt at the power station just up the road - but I may be wrong on that. Enjoy.

I live in North Carolina.Where are these virgins in forests? ;-
Gone electric on 02:10 - Sep 13 with 1946 viewsjeera

Gone electric on 09:00 - Sep 12 by GeoffSentence

If was like refueling with petrol that would be great and overcome probably the biggest obstacle to electric car take up. Refueling with liquid fuels takes a couple of minutes, electric cars have to be tethered up for some time.

Or have a really long cable.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Gone electric on 02:11 - Sep 13 with 1946 viewsjeera

Gone electric on 09:27 - Sep 12 by ElephantintheRoom

You should at least consider being against them. Crossing the road in London or Cambridge is already fraught with danger due to arrogant cyclists. Electric cars can be a bit of a surprise to pedestrians and those cyclists. The silent menace of electric cars is actually something that will have to be addressed if they ever become anything other than a waitrose shopper's self-indulgence.

They could be fitted with a little bell.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Gone electric on 06:35 - Sep 13 with 1909 viewsEly_Blue

Gone electric on 08:43 - Sep 12 by ElephantintheRoom

Top tip would be to use your proper car when need to go on a real car journey

Or get a Tesla model 3 for under 40k!

Priced in the same bracket as the A4/3 series Bmw and has more than the usual 30 mile electric car range
https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/model3

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Gone electric on 06:48 - Sep 13 with 1899 viewshampstead_blue

Gone electric on 00:26 - Sep 13 by Freddies_Ears

I may be being a bit pessimistic, as technology is certainly moving quickly. Hydrogen? Isn't there an explosion risk???

Now, I asked that question to Toyota and can't remember the technical side of the answers.#

In short it is many times safer than diesel and petrol.

Ah, now I think I recall. The hydrogen instantly disseminates into the atmosphere. The risk is for fire in components more than the fuel cell.

Look out for thousands of hydrogen cars and vehicles at the Tokyo Olympics.

Gone electric on 07:50 - Sep 13 with 1871 viewsMeadowlark

So much battery negativity on here!
My pal's family has two cars, both fully electric. Home charging is done using solar or from his storage battery, or straight from the mains obviously, if none of that is available, but that is rare.
He regularly travels from Norfolk to both London and Manchester, as well as daily trips around and about his home. Charging on long journeys is getting easier, quicker and less difficult to find, although he says he has to carry a multitude of payment cards to make sure he gets the right one.
His first electric car was only about three years ago (i3) and he liked it so much he just bought an I-pace.
Gone electric on 08:25 - Sep 13 with 1855 viewsGeoffSentence

Gone electric on 19:04 - Sep 12 by hampstead_blue

you are one of the few.

The big disadvantage of hydrogen is that it is very inefficicent compared to battery technology, first you need to use electricity to make the hydrogen, which is an inefficient process, then hydrogen fuel cells have to break the hydrogen to create electricity to power the motor. Both of those processes are very inefficient.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Gone electric on 08:55 - Sep 13 with 1842 viewsColin_Viljoen

You should at least consider being against them. Crossing the road in London or Cambridge is already fraught with danger due to arrogant cyclists. Electric cars can be a bit of a surprise to pedestrians and those cyclists. The silent menace of electric cars is actually something that will have to be addressed if they ever become anything other than a waitrose shopper's self-indulgence.

I agree with the point about the silent killer of electric cars, how will you feel when somebody steps out infront of your car because they won't hear you coming, you have to live with the knowledge that you knew this was going to happen!!
(No subject) (n/t) on 21:55 - Sep 13 with 1750 viewsipswich78

Gone electric on 19:07 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

It's amazing really, the fact that there doesn't seem to be a single subject on which your opinions don't make me think that you're an utter plank.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Gone electric on 03:06 - Sep 14 with 1713 viewsTractorWood

I think you are misinterpreting not wanting to get hit by a car as arrogance in cyclists. I would say I can do 80% or more of journeys in Cambridge on off road cycle lanes anyway.

My main experience of issues with cyclists in Cambridge is people who are not proficient on bikes or people who don't know the fundamentals of the green cross code. Very rarely is it arrogance.

I see no issues caused by electric cars to cyclists. Both parties should be considerate, act reasonably and patiently.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Gone electric on 07:03 - Sep 14 with 1683 viewsEly_Blue

Gone electric on 03:06 - Sep 14 by TractorWood

I think you are misinterpreting not wanting to get hit by a car as arrogance in cyclists. I would say I can do 80% or more of journeys in Cambridge on off road cycle lanes anyway.

My main experience of issues with cyclists in Cambridge is people who are not proficient on bikes or people who don't know the fundamentals of the green cross code. Very rarely is it arrogance.

I see no issues caused by electric cars to cyclists. Both parties should be considerate, act reasonably and patiently.

There are certain areas in the centre of Cambridge that I hate driving in because of the ignorance of the cyclists (and pedestrians to that matter) this is just a pure lack of understanding of the rules of the road

Gone electric on 08:10 - Sep 14 with 1658 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Gone electric on 07:50 - Sep 13 by Meadowlark

So much battery negativity on here!
My pal's family has two cars, both fully electric. Home charging is done using solar or from his storage battery, or straight from the mains obviously, if none of that is available, but that is rare.
He regularly travels from Norfolk to both London and Manchester, as well as daily trips around and about his home. Charging on long journeys is getting easier, quicker and less difficult to find, although he says he has to carry a multitude of payment cards to make sure he gets the right one.
His first electric car was only about three years ago (i3) and he liked it so much he just bought an I-pace.

So can you pick up a second hand one for a few hundred quid that will see you right for about 5 to 10 years?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Gone electric on 09:28 - Sep 14 with 1625 viewsEly_Blue

Gone electric on 08:10 - Sep 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

So can you pick up a second hand one for a few hundred quid that will see you right for about 5 to 10 years?

what an idiotic post

Gone electric on 10:22 - Sep 14 with 1609 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Gone electric on 09:28 - Sep 14 by Ely_Blue

what an idiotic post

Your concern for the rural working poor is noted.....thanks!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Gone electric on 14:18 - Sep 14 with 1557 viewsipswich78

Gone electric on 08:10 - Sep 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Define "see you right"??

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024