Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this because.... 10:13 - Feb 29 with 43841 viewshampstead_blue

....a middle aged white, privileged, probably Oxbridge man in a safe job for life cannot accept working for a very determined and strong woman?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51687287

She has clearly taken away his power base and he does not like it one bit.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Is this because.... on 12:44 - Mar 2 with 2905 viewsGaryCooper

Is this because.... on 14:18 - Feb 29 by Trequartista

It wasn't about racist abuse. It was about non-racist abuse (e.g. people continually calling her out as absolutely hopeless) being racist because she is a black woman.

Bullseye, the hypocrisy , criticise the incompetent Abbott=racist, criticise the incompetent Patel ok because she is a tory, some really need a long hard look at their ingrained dogma.
Is this because.... on 12:53 - Mar 2 with 2873 viewsHerbivore

Is this because.... on 12:44 - Mar 2 by GaryCooper

Bullseye, the hypocrisy , criticise the incompetent Abbott=racist, criticise the incompetent Patel ok because she is a tory, some really need a long hard look at their ingrained dogma.

The problem with arguments that remove all nuance and context is that they generally miss the point, as is demonstrated here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is this because.... on 13:02 - Mar 2 with 2865 viewsfooters

I've not seen any evidence of Patel being attacked for being either a woman or of Asian heritage, whereas Abbott...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Is this because.... on 13:15 - Mar 2 with 2848 viewsHARRY10

Or criticise Patel's words and actions because they are worthy of criticism

Now what are your reasons for getting upset about that level of criticism ?
Is this because.... on 13:18 - Mar 2 with 2840 viewsjeera

Well it's been no secret that Abbot has received much racial abuse throughout her career.

There can't be any reason for anyone to want to defend that naturally:

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/before-anyone-takes-diane-abbott-to-t

“The thing is, it’s got absolutely NOTHING to do with her being BLACK, it’s because she’s Diane BLOODY Abbott.”

Except: "Abbott was the first black woman to be elected to Parliament and she has received racist and sexist abuse throughout her career. And it has escalated – she told Amnesty that she had gone from receiving one racist letter a week to hundreds every day, including pictures of swastikas, monkeys and chimpanzees. “It’s the volume of it which is so debilitating, so corrosive and so upsetting,” she said. "

It doesn't take long to find anything else: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43976366

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/analysis/2019/07/30/we-need-to-talk-about-the-disgus

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Is this because.... on 13:25 - Mar 2 with 2811 viewsDarth_Koont

Oddly enough, you and others are showing your own racism and misogyny however subconscious by seeing Patel as a brown woman and looking to find equivalence with another one.

Abbott has been abused as a black woman. I'm sure Patel has too though not nearly on the same scale if that actually makes a difference.

But here we're talking about Patel being a nasty and untrustworthy politician.

Pronouns: He/Him

Is this because.... on 13:28 - Mar 2 with 2810 viewsGaryCooper

Is this because.... on 13:18 - Mar 2 by jeera

Well it's been no secret that Abbot has received much racial abuse throughout her career.

There can't be any reason for anyone to want to defend that naturally:

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/before-anyone-takes-diane-abbott-to-t

“The thing is, it’s got absolutely NOTHING to do with her being BLACK, it’s because she’s Diane BLOODY Abbott.”

Except: "Abbott was the first black woman to be elected to Parliament and she has received racist and sexist abuse throughout her career. And it has escalated – she told Amnesty that she had gone from receiving one racist letter a week to hundreds every day, including pictures of swastikas, monkeys and chimpanzees. “It’s the volume of it which is so debilitating, so corrosive and so upsetting,” she said. "

It doesn't take long to find anything else: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43976366

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/analysis/2019/07/30/we-need-to-talk-about-the-disgus

She is an incompetent, promoted above her ability, a hypocrite ( her son attended public school) to cap it all she is a racist, I say all of the prior without racism as my driver,

Patel is a blagger and blusterer and I feel, a nasty piece of work, again all stated without racism.
Is this because.... on 13:30 - Mar 2 with 2796 viewsjeera

Is this because.... on 13:28 - Mar 2 by GaryCooper

She is an incompetent, promoted above her ability, a hypocrite ( her son attended public school) to cap it all she is a racist, I say all of the prior without racism as my driver,

Patel is a blagger and blusterer and I feel, a nasty piece of work, again all stated without racism.

That's not what's been discussed though is it.

Incompetent or otherwise doesn't excuse racial abuse nor going out of one's way to excuse it.

Login to get fewer ads

Is this because.... on 13:34 - Mar 2 with 2774 viewsHARRY10

Is this because.... on 13:28 - Mar 2 by GaryCooper

I presume you hav evidence of Abbott's supposed incompetence - and the claim that she is a racist (!)

and her son attended a private school, not a public school

there is a difference

meanwhile I shall wait for you evidence of the above
Is this because.... on 13:39 - Mar 2 with 2759 viewstractordownsouth

Read my post at the end of page 4. Abbott and Patel are both incompetent, to criticise them both is fine. However, much of the criticism of Abbott has spilled over to racist abuse in the past, and I don't think the same can be said of Patel, or at least not on the same scale.

Not that hard to grasp.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Is this because.... on 13:40 - Mar 2 with 2757 viewstractordownsouth

Is this because.... on 13:34 - Mar 2 by HARRY10

I presume you hav evidence of Abbott's supposed incompetence - and the claim that she is a racist (!)

and her son attended a private school, not a public school

there is a difference

meanwhile I shall wait for you evidence of the above

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16423278

I assume this is what GaryCooper is referring to

Is this because.... on 13:51 - Mar 2 with 2723 viewsHARRY10

Is this because.... on 13:40 - Mar 2 by tractordownsouth

n the context oif how it was written it hardly meets the criteria of what is commonly acknowledged as racism

and the irony is that those squeaking about this interchange, between two black people about the racist murder of a black boy, would usually be howling to the moon about free speech and it all being 'political correctness'

but then when cornered I suppose you have to grasp at any straw you can
[Post edited 2 Mar 2020 13:58]
Is this because.... on 13:51 - Mar 2 with 2712 viewsHerbivore

Is this because.... on 13:40 - Mar 2 by tractordownsouth

If that's what he's referring to it's pretty weak evidence in its own. There's far more evidence that our current PM, for example, is racist than is provided in that one link on Abbott.

Is this because.... on 21:00 - Mar 2 with 2607 viewsHerbivore

Is this because.... on 10:14 - Feb 29 by Herbivore

No, it's because Priti Patel is a hateful ****.

This post has been edited by an administrator

This.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51705069

Is this because.... on 21:09 - Mar 2 with 2610 viewssparks

Partially right.

Abbott has had racist abuse. I suspect that much of it was not prompted by racism (rather- it was driven by her stupidity, arrogance and incompetence- and condescending manner)- but then used racist abuse- which is unacceptable. Patel has not been in the public eye nearly so much yet, and we have no information about what abuse she has or has not received.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Is this because.... on 21:53 - Mar 2 with 2576 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is this because.... on 21:00 - Mar 2 by Herbivore

This.

As if we needed more evidence. Your first post was spot on. I’ve never met her, but from her actions it’s hard to draw any other conclusion than she’s heartless and hateful. And judging by her promise to tackle “counter terrorism”, she’s none too bright either. But she’s seemingly prepared to do anything to climb the greasy pole.

Besides, having been kicked out of Government before and being a security threat should alone be enough to ensure she’s nowhere near government (or parliament).

She’s certainly a ****, a ***** and a ****.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is this because.... on 22:01 - Mar 2 with 2556 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is this because.... on 21:09 - Mar 2 by sparks

Partially right.

Abbott has had racist abuse. I suspect that much of it was not prompted by racism (rather- it was driven by her stupidity, arrogance and incompetence- and condescending manner)- but then used racist abuse- which is unacceptable. Patel has not been in the public eye nearly so much yet, and we have no information about what abuse she has or has not received.

And it’s all a huge dollop of whataboutery as well. Not one person that I’m aware of has made this a race issue. Patel doesn’t appear to have either (bonus point over Abbott there!). But it’s utterly irrelevant distraction because her supporters don’t appear to have anything else.

The only race angle I’ve considered is that she’s pushing policies that would have prevented her parents entering the country. Literally pulling the ladder up behind her by denying people of her family’s background the same opportunity. All to win votes/supporters. It’s disgusting, small minded and mean spirited.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is this because.... on 22:13 - Mar 2 with 2529 viewsjeera

Is this because.... on 22:01 - Mar 2 by Swansea_Blue

And it’s all a huge dollop of whataboutery as well. Not one person that I’m aware of has made this a race issue. Patel doesn’t appear to have either (bonus point over Abbott there!). But it’s utterly irrelevant distraction because her supporters don’t appear to have anything else.

The only race angle I’ve considered is that she’s pushing policies that would have prevented her parents entering the country. Literally pulling the ladder up behind her by denying people of her family’s background the same opportunity. All to win votes/supporters. It’s disgusting, small minded and mean spirited.

I have just been reading some comments under a coronavirus article and how the country is dealing with the situation.

Someone has already piped up that "it's a good job that dictator Corbyn isn't in charge of all this".

Any opportunity!

Is this because.... on 07:33 - Mar 3 with 2424 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this because.... on 21:00 - Mar 2 by Herbivore

This.

She should resign whilst an investigation is carried out with regards to the bullying.

Of course she should never have been given another job in cabinet after she was caught hav8ng unauthorised meetings with members of a foreign government.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is this because.... on 07:58 - Mar 3 with 2409 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this because.... on 22:01 - Mar 2 by Swansea_Blue

I’m not comfortable with this view of attacking her status as the daughter of immigrants.

Priti Patel is a deeply unpleasant woman and she has no place in government imo

That is all that needed to be said. Bringing up her ethnicity and her parents status as refugees is at best patronising. It's like patting her on the head and saying that "nice refugee girl, you should be grateful all that our country has given you so you should reciprocate that goodwill to others".

Why can't she just be a horrible woman who has unpleasant views and says things which as deeply offensive? Otherwise you are saying that a person from her background can't be a nasty piece of work in her own right. She is having to overcompensate.

When that has been said about woman overcompensating in the boardroom it has rightly been pointed out as sexist.

She should be judged in the same way you would judge somebody from the right such as Iain Duncan Smith or John Redwood. Her ethnicity and her parents background are irrelevant.

Iron Lion Zion

Is this because.... on 08:06 - Mar 3 with 2405 viewsHerbivore

Is this because.... on 07:58 - Mar 3 by GlasgowBlue

I’m not comfortable with this view of attacking her status as the daughter of immigrants.

That is all that needed to be said. Bringing up her ethnicity and her parents status as refugees is at best patronising. It's like patting her on the head and saying that "nice refugee girl, you should be grateful all that our country has given you so you should reciprocate that goodwill to others".

Why can't she just be a horrible woman who has unpleasant views and says things which as deeply offensive? Otherwise you are saying that a person from her background can't be a nasty piece of work in her own right. She is having to overcompensate.

When that has been said about woman overcompensating in the boardroom it has rightly been pointed out as sexist.

She should be judged in the same way you would judge somebody from the right such as Iain Duncan Smith or John Redwood. Her ethnicity and her parents background are irrelevant.

This is why I just went with her being a hateful ****.

Is this because.... on 08:09 - Mar 3 with 2401 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this because.... on 08:06 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

This is why I just went with her being a hateful ****.

Fair and accurate.

Iron Lion Zion

Is this because.... on 09:52 - Mar 3 with 2357 viewstractordownsouth

Is this because.... on 07:58 - Mar 3 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah I don't like this whole " would your parents have been allowed in?" line of questioning. Plenty of other sticks to beat her with, like her meetings with the Israeli Government, lying about supporting the death penalty etc.

Is this because.... on 10:24 - Mar 3 with 2328 viewsGaryCooper

Is this because.... on 13:51 - Mar 2 by HARRY10

n the context oif how it was written it hardly meets the criteria of what is commonly acknowledged as racism

and the irony is that those squeaking about this interchange, between two black people about the racist murder of a black boy, would usually be howling to the moon about free speech and it all being 'political correctness'

but then when cornered I suppose you have to grasp at any straw you can
[Post edited 2 Mar 2020 13:58]

You also probably think Gandhi wasn't a racist?
Is this because.... on 10:27 - Mar 3 with 2322 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this because.... on 09:52 - Mar 3 by tractordownsouth

Yeah I don't like this whole " would your parents have been allowed in?" line of questioning. Plenty of other sticks to beat her with, like her meetings with the Israeli Government, lying about supporting the death penalty etc.

It’s not the first time I’ve seen this done on here. It’s dividing people into good immigrants and bad immigrants.

Sunny Hundal covers this very well with regards to another British Asian member of the cabinet.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024