Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
what a football club Brentford have become 20:09 - Jun 26 with 4014 viewsMrTown

Such an efficient, well run football club.

Everything we should be looking to be.

I got laughed out of this place last year when I said how far away we were from then, looks a disparity now ay.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

what a football club Brentford have become on 00:24 - Jun 27 with 723 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:52 - Jun 26 by MrTown

Exactly, you've just hit the nail on the head.

Its all about structure, a model and working to that model. Brentford's model is fairly simple. Obviously the have a international approach, but they look at teams that punching way behind their budget and means, then they look for the players within who are excelling in that team, and are therefore able to compete with wages.

Then they get the spotlight to excel in this country and tend to be turned on for a real real profit.

It is such a successful model they have developed.

It can be summed up with Benrahma, spent a lot of time out of loan from Nice, picked him up for £2.5m, will be sold for £25m no doubt.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 21:54]

Christ if we got 1 of them a season - we would all be happy. Marcus can sit back and watch his side grow without a worry on his pocket.
what a football club Brentford have become on 06:59 - Jun 27 with 675 viewsShawsey

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:25 - Jun 26 by BloomBlue

But disbanding their youth setup saved them millions, is that what Town should do?

You have to run the youth team the same as the first team. Same system, style, formation etc. that way, when they make the first team, they already know what they are doing. From what I have seen lately, the youths are playing a different system to the first team. That makes no sense. Brentford are well run and well drilled, something sadly missing from us.
what a football club Brentford have become on 07:19 - Jun 27 with 678 viewsHerbivore

Brentford are a well run club indeed, though I wouldn't want to go down the route of ditching the academy. Everyone has always agreed how well Brentford are run, so if you were indeed laughed out of this place I doubt that was the reason.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

what a football club Brentford have become on 08:46 - Jun 27 with 626 viewsChrisd

what a football club Brentford have become on 06:59 - Jun 27 by Shawsey

You have to run the youth team the same as the first team. Same system, style, formation etc. that way, when they make the first team, they already know what they are doing. From what I have seen lately, the youths are playing a different system to the first team. That makes no sense. Brentford are well run and well drilled, something sadly missing from us.

Completely agree with this theory, but the first team has been a separate entity in the manner of their style of play for a considerable amount of time, not just recently.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

what a football club Brentford have become on 09:23 - Jun 27 with 591 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:45 - Jun 26 by Dubtractor

Such a tedious point that is raised every time Brentford are mentioned. Just because Brentford decided to scrap their academy, it doesn't follow that any team wanting to use their recruitment approach also has to. Brentford have an average crowd of about 11k - their income from supporters will therefore be much lower than ours.

Yeah it’s a pretty ridiculous non-point when a team that is objectively half the size of Town are now comfortably miles ahead of us as a club, and doing so without the benefit of a billionaire funding it. To be honest if it was guaranteed we’d be as effective at it as Brentford I’d bite your hand off at ditching the academy anyway

However ditching it is fundamental to their model - the whole point is that the academy savings go into recruitment

I also wouldn’t be surprised if their attendance outstrips ours next season! 😳

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

what a football club Brentford have become on 09:37 - Jun 27 with 567 viewsDubtractor

what a football club Brentford have become on 09:23 - Jun 27 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah it’s a pretty ridiculous non-point when a team that is objectively half the size of Town are now comfortably miles ahead of us as a club, and doing so without the benefit of a billionaire funding it. To be honest if it was guaranteed we’d be as effective at it as Brentford I’d bite your hand off at ditching the academy anyway

However ditching it is fundamental to their model - the whole point is that the academy savings go into recruitment

I also wouldn’t be surprised if their attendance outstrips ours next season! 😳

Absolutely, I wouldn't argue that Brentford needed to scrap the academy, given their relative size and income.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

what a football club Brentford have become on 09:38 - Jun 27 with 568 viewsBeckets

what a football club Brentford have become on 08:46 - Jun 27 by Chrisd

Completely agree with this theory, but the first team has been a separate entity in the manner of their style of play for a considerable amount of time, not just recently.

Added to which we have a first team manager with no discernible idea about how he wants to set up the first team. Without that how can we effectively recruit players from outside the club or maximise the effectiveness of the Academy.
what a football club Brentford have become on 09:53 - Jun 27 with 561 viewsChrisd

what a football club Brentford have become on 09:38 - Jun 27 by Beckets

Added to which we have a first team manager with no discernible idea about how he wants to set up the first team. Without that how can we effectively recruit players from outside the club or maximise the effectiveness of the Academy.

The club appears to have good staff within the Academy, but everyone needs to be on the same page and that's from the first team manager down. Initially, I thought that was PL's philosophy, but that seems to have been diluted over time. I'm not a big PL fan and there's plenty of questions that remain unanswered about his management, which has been discussed endlessly on here. PL needs to change and if he hasn't used this time to reflect on his approach then he deserves the inevitable outcome. It is certainly going to be very interesting to observe because you would've thought that PL is in the last chance saloon in terms of his management career. Something needs to give.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

what a football club Brentford have become on 09:55 - Jun 27 with 560 viewsartsbossbeard

Christ, you're painful.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

what a football club Brentford have become on 10:12 - Jun 27 with 542 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

what a football club Brentford have become on 09:37 - Jun 27 by Dubtractor

Absolutely, I wouldn't argue that Brentford needed to scrap the academy, given their relative size and income.

Yes but I meant that you can’t really say you’re following the Brentford model without ditching the academy - as not having an academy and investing the savings elsewhere is integral to that model

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

what a football club Brentford have become on 10:30 - Jun 27 with 527 viewsbournemouthblue

what a football club Brentford have become on 08:46 - Jun 27 by Chrisd

The youth teams are certainly taught to play passing football. It wasn't so long ago a 'Barcelonaesque' goal from one of our youth teams went viral for example?

Even our reserve team were splitting the centre backs and trying to zip it about so the thinking has been muddled for quite a while.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

what a football club Brentford have become on 11:01 - Jun 27 with 501 viewsRadlett_blue

what a football club Brentford have become on 09:37 - Jun 27 by Dubtractor

Brentford's youth academy hadn't been producing players for the first team, partly because the best talent was being stolen away by Premier League clubs at young ages when Brentford was not due compensation for the transfer. The situation meant that the large investments being made in developing young talent were not returning any positive results to the club. Hence Matthew Benham decided to close the Brentford academy and solely focus on recruitment from other clubs. They also created a B-team consisting of players previously rejected by other clubs and overseas players looking to trial in English football. They switched from being a feeder club of young talent into larger rivals to partnering with them for the release of the other club's surplus assets for a small fee. With a B-team as a stepping stone into the first team, the club ensure a the have a plan of succession and a place to develop talented players regardless of their age. Now, wile the Brentford system seems to be working well as they have sold on some good players for large fees, Benham is also believed to have invested £100m in the club.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

what a football club Brentford have become on 11:47 - Jun 27 with 481 viewspatrickswell

what a football club Brentford have become on 10:30 - Jun 27 by bournemouthblue

The youth teams are certainly taught to play passing football. It wasn't so long ago a 'Barcelonaesque' goal from one of our youth teams went viral for example?

Even our reserve team were splitting the centre backs and trying to zip it about so the thinking has been muddled for quite a while.

We seem caught in a vicious circle. McCarthy could feed Academy kids into the first team, and although there was concern that his style and the Academy’s were unaligned, those youngsters were getting experience in a relatively stable environment given that Mick’s teams could win the occasional game of football. The shame for Mick was that the best players from the Academy which he put in and wanted to work with kept breaking down with injuries.

In the last two seasons, the ascent from Academy to first team has become more fraught mostly because the first team has been operating in a perpetual state of crisis. The relegation battle of 2018-19 was not seen as a good place in which to be playing youngsters, while the campaign just gone was complicated by the fact that we never seemed clear on whether we were going for promotion or starting the rebuild. Hence why Dobra and El-Mizouni skirted around the team instead of being part of it. Throw into the mix that further widely fancied prospects such as Morris, Folami, Nydam and Lankester have seen their momentum halted by major injuries and it’s no surprise that we’ve not progressed anywhere near where we’d have liked.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2020 11:50]
what a football club Brentford have become on 12:06 - Jun 27 with 469 viewsPablokuqi

what a football club Brentford have become on 11:01 - Jun 27 by Radlett_blue

Brentford's youth academy hadn't been producing players for the first team, partly because the best talent was being stolen away by Premier League clubs at young ages when Brentford was not due compensation for the transfer. The situation meant that the large investments being made in developing young talent were not returning any positive results to the club. Hence Matthew Benham decided to close the Brentford academy and solely focus on recruitment from other clubs. They also created a B-team consisting of players previously rejected by other clubs and overseas players looking to trial in English football. They switched from being a feeder club of young talent into larger rivals to partnering with them for the release of the other club's surplus assets for a small fee. With a B-team as a stepping stone into the first team, the club ensure a the have a plan of succession and a place to develop talented players regardless of their age. Now, wile the Brentford system seems to be working well as they have sold on some good players for large fees, Benham is also believed to have invested £100m in the club.

Brentford are surrounded by larger clubs and as you say that is why they have struggled to produce through the academy. We have or should say had the advantage of being geographically isolated so less competition. But now the big clubs can come and take our best 15/16 year olds for very little compensation. Norwich have a development centre in the town for goodness sake. I know of a kid in our academy who is contacted by Norwich on a almost weekly basis as well as Chelsea too. We are between a rock and a hard place. We are not turning a profit compared to likes of Brentford as we are not able to spend the 2ms that they are and not profiting from academy as kids are being poached for peanuts. The answer I do not know.
what a football club Brentford have become on 12:07 - Jun 27 with 469 viewsArnieM

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:25 - Jun 26 by BloomBlue

But disbanding their youth setup saved them millions, is that what Town should do?

I’m some ways you can see why they did. Premier league clubs stealing young talent for practically sod all recompense. Why should they of any club spend £ms got essentially the benefit of bigger clubs ?

At least when Brentford sell their players they do get a decent buck got them , unlike us !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

what a football club Brentford have become on 12:37 - Jun 27 with 454 viewsLeaky

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:29 - Jun 26 by judespiveyg

Maybe, but I think there should be some kind of penalty for them and Wycombe for not running youth teams. It only harms English football if they're not going to produce any players for it.

You can see there point . You bring on promising youth players through, for them to get poached by the top Premier League sides, so they can profit by sending them out on loan.
what a football club Brentford have become on 12:49 - Jun 27 with 443 viewsHerbivore

what a football club Brentford have become on 12:06 - Jun 27 by Pablokuqi

Brentford are surrounded by larger clubs and as you say that is why they have struggled to produce through the academy. We have or should say had the advantage of being geographically isolated so less competition. But now the big clubs can come and take our best 15/16 year olds for very little compensation. Norwich have a development centre in the town for goodness sake. I know of a kid in our academy who is contacted by Norwich on a almost weekly basis as well as Chelsea too. We are between a rock and a hard place. We are not turning a profit compared to likes of Brentford as we are not able to spend the 2ms that they are and not profiting from academy as kids are being poached for peanuts. The answer I do not know.

But then we only need to sell an academy product fairly infrequently to cover its cost. Selling Wickham covered academy costs for around 4 years. If Downes and Woolfy go it'll also cover costs for the next few years. Even losing the likes of Brown and Knight, whilst massively frustrating, covers a big chunk of running the academy for a year. We have a good academy and I don't think it's worth sacrificing it for the sake of a couple of million a year when, over time, the costs are covered by us selling from the academy.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

what a football club Brentford have become on 14:03 - Jun 27 with 373 viewsbournemouthblue

what a football club Brentford have become on 12:49 - Jun 27 by Herbivore

But then we only need to sell an academy product fairly infrequently to cover its cost. Selling Wickham covered academy costs for around 4 years. If Downes and Woolfy go it'll also cover costs for the next few years. Even losing the likes of Brown and Knight, whilst massively frustrating, covers a big chunk of running the academy for a year. We have a good academy and I don't think it's worth sacrificing it for the sake of a couple of million a year when, over time, the costs are covered by us selling from the academy.

If you kept this system alongside the Brentford model, you'd be quids in

You could argue that some of the fees you get for younger players is now higher than it would have been but it certainly means you don't get to sell them as their value begins to sky rocket

It's more sensible than it once was to pick up promising players from the leagues around Europe and sell them on after a few seasons of development

We have missed out on the European market where there are more bargains to be had

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024