Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mike Riley was wrong about VAR 22:13 - Oct 17 with 884 viewsstiff_talking

VAR was supposed to assist referee’s per it’s leader Mike Riley

Instead it has become a decision making body without autonomy.

It makes referees second guess themselves and relies on outsiders to make decisions based upon slow motion manipulation.

Does any supporter, player, manager or referee now actually agree with Mike Riley dream ?
Mike Riley was wrong about VAR on 22:14 - Oct 17 with 866 viewsSwansea_Blue

Gorgeous though.

Ah sorry, that's Rachel Riley.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mike Riley was wrong about VAR on 23:16 - Oct 17 with 778 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I agree with the principle of VAR but think it has a long way to go to be working.

Ultimately the reason for it was all the over-analysis from Sky about has the referee got it right or not. There will always be grey areas and it should only really be over-ruling the clear and obvious error and I would include offside in that. Let the assistant referee make a decision and, if there is a clear error change it. If you can't see that it is wrong in normal time on one replay then it was tight and keep with the original decision on the pitch whatever it was!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Mike Riley was wrong about VAR on 23:41 - Oct 17 with 749 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mike Riley was wrong about VAR on 23:16 - Oct 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

I agree with the principle of VAR but think it has a long way to go to be working.

Ultimately the reason for it was all the over-analysis from Sky about has the referee got it right or not. There will always be grey areas and it should only really be over-ruling the clear and obvious error and I would include offside in that. Let the assistant referee make a decision and, if there is a clear error change it. If you can't see that it is wrong in normal time on one replay then it was tight and keep with the original decision on the pitch whatever it was!

Yeah, I think they've got to make that distinction clearer. Unless not clearly wrong, don't change the original decision. Fundamentally it's broken because the officials seem incapable of getting all decisions right even with a replay. It'll never be perfect for that reason alone.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mike Riley was wrong about VAR on 10:10 - Oct 18 with 609 viewsIpswichKnight

Mike Riley should have been sacked years ago, like Gordon Taylor he seems to have a job for life, he chased out the best referee in Europe in Mark Clattenburg and has made a total horlicks of VAR.

I’d change it so they teams have 1 challenge a half and the only other time that VAR should be used is for looking at potential red cards.
Mike Riley was wrong about VAR on 11:49 - Oct 18 with 560 viewsgtsb1966

If we could go back to the days when there had to be clear daylight between an attacker and defender for an offside decision then var would work so much better.
Mike Riley was wrong about VAR on 12:01 - Oct 18 with 538 viewsElephantintheRoom

For 100 + years football lived with a number of laws governed by the phrase 'in the referee's opinion'. Wise words because the ref could never be wrong - it was his opinion based on a micro-second of observation in a free-flowing game where cheating is instituionalised.

IF there ever was a need for VAR - then by definition, the referee's opninion is overuled by the VAR referee's opinion. It really is that simple.

Look upon VAR as Brexit.... the pluses, if you can think of any are very much outweighed by the minuses - and the end result is something that will never be as good as what we had. And nobody will be happy with the botched outcome.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024