Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been 08:33 - Nov 30 with 1002 viewshomer_123

In my humble opinion.

Having spent some time reflecting on our on and off-field performances as a Club over the weekend, in my opinion, it's a bad as I can remember.

Third Division, aimless and pointless football, with no drive or desire (oddly some of these players are relatively capable which makes it all the more infuriating). We've been unable to address long standing on field issues coupled with an owner you seems irrevocably incapable of making the right decision management wise (and even when he got close, failed, singularly, to support that appointment).

Our latest incumbent, apparently, re-built the relationship between the Club, its fans and its history and whilst that maybe true, his inability at any point (be it trying to keep us in the Championship or getting back there) to deliver on the pitch means this was always going wear thin at some point.

This weekend marked a low point for the Club (how many more low points can we go for?). Any work done to re-build bridges was utterly demolished when it became known that Phil and TWTD are now banned from press conferences. Now, I'll be up front here and say that I could be slightly biased towards Phil and Gav given what they do for fans like ourselves in providing a platform to talk football (and other stuff....oddly, it's actually more the other stuff I think we all value) and support each other (which in the main we do and do well) but for the life of me I cannot fathom Town's decision making process here.

Now, more than ever, the Club needs to be united, to work together to get us out of this situation we are in (whether you support Lambert or Evans or not, we all support the Club). But no, what do Town go and do? They do the one thing that will definitely alienate fans and make a bad situation worse.

I get managers and the Club don't want details leaked (unless it suits their agenda), I don't think anyone has an issue with that but, right now, to ban Phil and TWTD from press conferences is pouring petrol on a fire, it is thoughtless, idiotic, ill judged and short sighted.

The question must be what on earth did they hope to achieve? And, more over, who's decision was it? Lamberts, O'Neills, Evans, who and why? What is there to possibly gain from doing this?

It's not possible to please everyone all of the time, the old saying goes. It's true. But how about not making life more difficult than it already is? It's clear on the pitch we have issues and, with the correct growing clamor for a change in manager, Town really need to stop and think about not only what it is trying to achieve but 'how'.

How we conduct ourselves as a Club and fans is important, very important and we all must not lose sight of that.

Many fans, from TWTD and beyond, have contacted the Club about showing support for Phil and TWTD and we have also seen the local media question this decision and show support as well. The Club needs to act quickly and decisively over the next 24 hours.

In short, Lambert needs to be relieved of duties. An interim team of Dyer, Butcher and Klug take the reigns until a new manager is found. But equally important we need to see Phil and TWTD re-instated at Portman Road press conferences, it's simple and clear.

Town must the repair damage that is now much, much deeper than it was prior to Saturday's game before, more severe, long term damage is done.

EDIT: for clarity - our single biggest issue is Evans. For years now I have made my position clear that until he goes - we will struggle. However, I have come to the conclusion that he is going nowhere (for whatever reason that maybe). So we have to find a manager who can bring success despite Evans.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2020 8:59]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:47 - Nov 30 with 925 viewsSteve_M

You don't mention him directly but, yet again, our owner's silence as the club stumbles further downwards to telling. It's not exactly for the first time either.

Whilst Lambert's failure to achieve adequate returns from a good, if still imbalanced, squad for this division makes him the immediate cause of our current failings the rot at the club is far bigger than him. That PL recognised he needed to do something to try and repair that initially is too his credit but it looks like he's stopped trying at that too.

So, yes, Lambert needs to go but ITFC remains a shell of the club it once was.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:48 - Nov 30 with 920 viewsTheSelkirk

Good post Homer.

Marcus Evans is obviously experiencing a significantly negative impact on his global businesses given the pandemic and associated restrictions. I would imagine that his focus is more on these than that of Ipswich Town Football Club right now. As such, I don't believe that the ongoing demise of our club is his number one priority and he will, for now at least, just let the rot continue.

I can't see Evans sacking Lambert anytime soon (would love to be wrong) for this reason and the fact that his ego might get in the way. He would be holding his hand up to admit that he has made yet another poor managerial appointment and, perhaps, he may have lost some confidence in his ability to get it right in the future.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with some others on here who suggest that Lambert is here to stay for some time yet.
On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:51 - Nov 30 with 902 viewsRegencyBlue

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:47 - Nov 30 by Steve_M

You don't mention him directly but, yet again, our owner's silence as the club stumbles further downwards to telling. It's not exactly for the first time either.

Whilst Lambert's failure to achieve adequate returns from a good, if still imbalanced, squad for this division makes him the immediate cause of our current failings the rot at the club is far bigger than him. That PL recognised he needed to do something to try and repair that initially is too his credit but it looks like he's stopped trying at that too.

As I have said elsewhere, just sacking the manager is like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

It’s not going to deal with the real problem, which is Evans and the way he has run this club in his time here!
On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:52 - Nov 30 with 894 viewsitfcjoe

I personally think the reaction to the ban has been a little bit OTT, because ultimately it is one man (Lambert) lashing out, and with such a small media pack it's difficult for the club not to go along with it.

It's totally the wrong thing, and I fully support Phil in getting reinstated - I think the biggest thing it shows is that there isn't an experienced media manager in there who was able to sort this situation with Phil and Lambert before it got to the stage it has now. There's no way really Phil can go back now until Lambert is gone, which we all hope is today, or tomorrow!

I have great sympathy with Phil, and think it's totally unjustified and have said this privately to him so it's not about picking sides.

All this is just noise though and distracts from the real issues which you mention at the start of your post.

We are looking pretty hopeless in the 3rd division, we are one of the best resourced clubs in this league (and that gives you a big advantage) and we can't set a team up against anyone good.

Couple that with the fact that when Lambert came in he was everything to everyone, and did a great job at uniting the fanbase which was definitely required.

The opposite is now true, he treats Brennar Wooley with disdain, he has banned Phil, his conduct to EADT boys is of a man that can't be bothered. He lacks enthusiasm, motivation and all the things he can control - i.e. the personality traits opposed to the tactical acumen.

If he isn't giving us the PR, and there has been a total 180 on that, then what is he giving us because it's certainly not on pitch performance.

Failing on the pitch, failing off the pitch - he needs removing before he does any more damage

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:52 - Nov 30 with 882 viewshype313

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:51 - Nov 30 by RegencyBlue

As I have said elsewhere, just sacking the manager is like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

It’s not going to deal with the real problem, which is Evans and the way he has run this club in his time here!

Indeed, unless there is a seismic change, then we will just keep bimbling along with a merry go round of managers, in the hope that one strikes it lucky.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:54 - Nov 30 with 873 viewsIpswichKnight

It’s an unholy mess in all regards and it could have been avoided which makes it all the more baffling.

As Phil said it’s very hard to stop people posting stuff like team news when your not around to remove it, it’s also not exactly hard to work out how we set up as most teams seem to have figured that out. Better man management at the club could have avoided this.

Marcus should have ended Lamberts reign at the end of last season only COVID stopped that and he should have called his bluff and told him no one in there right mind thinks we’re making 6th never mind winning the play offs.

This is not the club that I grew up with and feel in love with it has now nothing in common with the Cobbolds or even Sheepy other than the name and possibly the badge.

On the plus side the media black out from the official channels this weekend and so far today hopefully is a sign something is brewing and maybe Sunderland sacking there manager has made Marcus move slightly quicker than a glacier!
On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:56 - Nov 30 with 857 viewshomer_123

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:47 - Nov 30 by Steve_M

I haven't Steve - because it's the one thing that won't change.

I've long ago stopped posting and noting that merely changing managers won't relieve the problem because clearly Evans isn't going anywhere.

I've said before, changing the manager is a stop gap.

I haven't changed that view but it is clear that Evans is going nowhere. So, the only thing that can be changed to try and resolve the on-field issues with Lambert and his team - so that has to change because currently it isn't working.

Will that bring success - unlikely because Evans still calls the shots but - there is always a chance that someone succeeds despite Evans.

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:57 - Nov 30 with 851 viewshomer_123

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:52 - Nov 30 by hype313

Indeed, unless there is a seismic change, then we will just keep bimbling along with a merry go round of managers, in the hope that one strikes it lucky.

Which is what I've been posting for many year now but given that isn't changing....changing the manager is the only option we have.

Login to get fewer ads

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 09:03 - Nov 30 with 828 viewsRobTheMonk

Evans has made a massive error with the 5 year contract. We're coming up to one year of that contract? The payoff surely will be large as it won't just be Lambert that goes. I can see him sticking his head in the sand muttering about league position without actually watching the dross we've had to put up with from Lambert over the past two years.

I just want Lambert gone. It's become a toxic relationship. It's incredibly frustrating as a fan at the moment.
On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 09:10 - Nov 30 with 778 viewsKeno

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:48 - Nov 30 by TheSelkirk

Good post Homer.

Marcus Evans is obviously experiencing a significantly negative impact on his global businesses given the pandemic and associated restrictions. I would imagine that his focus is more on these than that of Ipswich Town Football Club right now. As such, I don't believe that the ongoing demise of our club is his number one priority and he will, for now at least, just let the rot continue.

I can't see Evans sacking Lambert anytime soon (would love to be wrong) for this reason and the fact that his ego might get in the way. He would be holding his hand up to admit that he has made yet another poor managerial appointment and, perhaps, he may have lost some confidence in his ability to get it right in the future.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with some others on here who suggest that Lambert is here to stay for some time yet.

its crappier than somethings that is really crappy stirring a pile of really crappy crap

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 09:12 - Nov 30 with 763 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cheer up Homer. You know what they say...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 09:12 - Nov 30 with 763 viewsMrTown

Certainly agree, cna't put into words the damage Lambert is doing to the club day by day now.

Problem is we've got an owner with very limited ambitions. Cheques over Success for him.

The smaller amount of financial damage he can get away with here per year the happier he is, hence he won't be coughing up Lambert's contract any time soon.

Would probably cost shy of £1.5m get rid of staff at this point.

B*stard Lambert, done us up like a kipper here.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2020 9:56]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 09:41 - Nov 30 with 672 viewsGuthrum

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:52 - Nov 30 by itfcjoe

I personally think the reaction to the ban has been a little bit OTT, because ultimately it is one man (Lambert) lashing out, and with such a small media pack it's difficult for the club not to go along with it.

It's totally the wrong thing, and I fully support Phil in getting reinstated - I think the biggest thing it shows is that there isn't an experienced media manager in there who was able to sort this situation with Phil and Lambert before it got to the stage it has now. There's no way really Phil can go back now until Lambert is gone, which we all hope is today, or tomorrow!

I have great sympathy with Phil, and think it's totally unjustified and have said this privately to him so it's not about picking sides.

All this is just noise though and distracts from the real issues which you mention at the start of your post.

We are looking pretty hopeless in the 3rd division, we are one of the best resourced clubs in this league (and that gives you a big advantage) and we can't set a team up against anyone good.

Couple that with the fact that when Lambert came in he was everything to everyone, and did a great job at uniting the fanbase which was definitely required.

The opposite is now true, he treats Brennar Wooley with disdain, he has banned Phil, his conduct to EADT boys is of a man that can't be bothered. He lacks enthusiasm, motivation and all the things he can control - i.e. the personality traits opposed to the tactical acumen.

If he isn't giving us the PR, and there has been a total 180 on that, then what is he giving us because it's certainly not on pitch performance.

Failing on the pitch, failing off the pitch - he needs removing before he does any more damage

Spot on. I gave him a lot of leeway at the start because of the PR and relationship rebuilding. However, much of that has fallen by the wayside and he has been unable to deliver on the pitch.

You might get by on one or the other, but if neither can be achieved, what is the point?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 09:44 - Nov 30 with 655 viewsTieDyedIn95

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 08:51 - Nov 30 by RegencyBlue

Absolutely if Evans remains as owner we're going to further fall to new depths. Lambert would never been appointed by any owner worth his salt, neither would Hurst but our owner is absolutely terrible.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 09:51 - Nov 30 with 628 viewsChrisd

Oh, we're a shambles make no mistake and the reputation the club is built on in the game is gradually eroding. We've been mismanaged for so long now the chickens have finally come home to roost. Without doubt , PL needs to go like yesterday, but the real problem remains, the constant in our demise and that's ME with his poor decision making, lack of leadership, cutting corners on club infrastructure and minimal investment. The longer he remains we just can't move forwards. Yes, we can all say he does this and that, he puts his own money in to keep us afloat each season blah, blah, blah, then when challenged you get ridiculous comebacks, 'Put your own money in if you have a problem with it!' The fact is ME is a multi-millionaire, he is a club owner and he made that agreement when he first took over to fund the club. If he didn't know the full extent of the financial constraints then that's his problem. Football has moved on, sadly he hasn't. He's still running us like it is 2007. If he needs more financial clout then he or his advisors should be the ones to be actively going out to seek that additional support. The impression you get is he's more than happy to let us drift along, especially if that means he can keep his spending to a bare minimum. It generally appears 'hope' is his only driving factor to stop this sinking ship rather than showing any proactive leadership. The phrase that keeps getting banded about with the prospect of change is, 'Be careful what you wish for,' in his case I'd be perfectly happy to take that gamble.

Currently, I'm embarrassed and sapped of any enthusiasm and pride being an ITFC supporter it is bloody miserable, this black cloud continues to loom menacingly over PR and shows no sign of imminently moving.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2020 12:37]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

On and off the pitch, this is the worst it has ever been on 10:00 - Nov 30 with 580 viewsDyland

Precisely. Removing Lambert is imperative, he is not up to the task. That is abundantly clear. This does not detract from the fundamental problem at ITFC, which is the lack of any kind of structure, which in turn makes foresight and planning impossible. Why does Evans never learn? The five year contract is a red herring. There should be a structure in place to enable ITFC to quickly remove managers or staff without dismantling the whole set up. Evans is absolutely culpable in this regard, and where the biggest blame lies.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024