Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 5 part 3 07:46 - Mar 31 with 2255 viewseastangliaisblue

The top five for today is favourite football stadia.
The only rule is Portman Road is not allowed.
In no particular order.

La Bombonera - Boca Juniors. Never experienced an atmosphere like this place.

Old Wembley

Amsterdam Arena - Ajax/Holland

New White Hart Lane - Absolute gem of a stadium. Spurs have changed the blueprint of how a modern stadium should be.

Loftus Road - QPR. This place to me represents old school stadiums. Always a cracking atmosphere when we play there.
I also love the fact you almost feel like you're on the pitch and it's in the middle of a dodgy estate. It's everything an old stadium should be.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2020 7:52]
Top 5 part 3 on 08:11 - Mar 31 with 1826 viewshype313

The old Mestalla was a bonkers stadium, I'm not a fan of heights and that experience made my palms sweat uncontrollabley, The MCG is quite a stadia too, haven't been too the new WHL but heard great things.

Still love the quirkiness of Craven Cottage and the Rec at Bath is a great ground to watch some Rugby.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Top 5 part 3 on 08:15 - Mar 31 with 1816 viewsLord_Lucan

The old Upton Park, White Hart Lane and Goodison Park

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Top 5 part 3 on 08:29 - Mar 31 with 1793 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Assuming it’s grounds you’ve visited.

1. Anfield
2. Nou Camp
3. San Siro
4. Emirates
5. White Hart Lane
Top 5 part 3 on 08:37 - Mar 31 with 1768 viewspeterleeblue

Based only on where I have been.

1. Anfield
2. Loftus Road
3. Sunderland Stadium of Light
4. Elland Road
5. Carrow Road - Included as there is no better place to win at.
Top 5 part 3 on 09:07 - Mar 31 with 1739 viewsUB9Blue

Loftus Road, QPR - first ground I ever went and also quite local for Town games
Son Moix, Real Mallorca - watching football, drinking cold lager and taking in the sun
Vicarage Road, Watford - again very local, usually a good atmosphere for Town games (although miss the old walk around the allotments
Bernabeu, Real Madrid - atmosphere and the tapas bars in the business sector a few minutes away
Gigg Lane, Bury - compact, easy to reach and good local pubs
Top 5 part 3 on 09:18 - Mar 31 with 1725 viewsfactual_blue

Sandy Lane
Champion Hill
Burnden Park
The Baseball Ground
Victoria Ground

#nowthatswhaticalloldschool

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Top 5 part 3 on 09:22 - Mar 31 with 1720 viewsIPS_wich

Going to extend the interpretation of football given I've lived down under for seven years and football means Aussie Rules here.

1: Old Wembley - mainly because I was there for the 2000 play-off final and it is still one of my finest memories

2: MCG - watched a couple of Aussie Rules games there when I visited four years ago. It really is impossible to describe the scale of the place - a 101,000 seat stadium surrounding a cricket/footy pitch. The walk to the stadium is iconic, about a 2km walk from the CBD along the banks of the Yarra River and as you come round a bend in the river, there it is rising in front of you. Gave me goosebumps.

3: The Old Olympic Stadium in Munich - saw Bayern play Werder Bremen about 20 years ago. Was a great game with a unique atmosphere - quite unlike watching football in English stadiums.

4: The new Perth Stadium - my local stadium, also known as the mini-MCG (only a 60,000 capacity). Opened two years ago and it really is the epitome of a modern 21st century stadium. Loads of leg room, great views from any seat, every seat has a cup holder, enormous high-def screens at each end. It recently won a global architecture award for the best looking stadium (see pic below). Just a shame my (aussie rules) footy team have been pretty rubbish since it opened and are only getting crowds around 38,000.

5: Stadium of Light (Sunderland) - I've been to watch Ipswich there a few times as the wife is from those neck of the woods (not a Sunderland fan I hasten to add). There is quite a fabulous home end roar when Sunderland are on the attack and I just like it so much more than any of the identikit stadiums that went up in the 90s/00s. Seemed to have character from day one.

Perth stadium pictures

Top 5 part 3 on 09:26 - Mar 31 with 1713 viewsITFC_Forever

- Old Wembley.
- Hillsborough
- Anfield
- Old White Hart Lane
- Any of the old grounds with a nice low roof so you can make a lot of noise - Southend away this season was the best away game in years - was like going back to the "good old days".

Definitely not any of the soulless new grounds. Yes, they're all very modern facilities wise, but all (without exception) are devoid of any character. Can't think of a single good one. And they're often stuck out of town with no parking facilities (Reading and Coventry being particularly bad examples).
[Post edited 31 Mar 2020 9:27]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Top 5 part 3 on 09:46 - Mar 31 with 1665 viewsWeWereZombies

Nou Camp
Old Wembley
Highbury
Pink Floyd - Meddle
David Bowie - Hunky Dory

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Top 5 part 3 on 09:49 - Mar 31 with 1660 viewsAce_High1

Nou Camp
Old Wembley
Upton Park

and if we can pick non football stadiums....

MCG and SCG are both amazing in different ways.
Top 5 part 3 on 09:55 - Mar 31 with 1644 viewsPJH

Top 5 part 3 on 09:26 - Mar 31 by ITFC_Forever

- Old Wembley.
- Hillsborough
- Anfield
- Old White Hart Lane
- Any of the old grounds with a nice low roof so you can make a lot of noise - Southend away this season was the best away game in years - was like going back to the "good old days".

Definitely not any of the soulless new grounds. Yes, they're all very modern facilities wise, but all (without exception) are devoid of any character. Can't think of a single good one. And they're often stuck out of town with no parking facilities (Reading and Coventry being particularly bad examples).
[Post edited 31 Mar 2020 9:27]

Certainly Old (and real) Wembley and Old White Hart Lane.

As some others have said Upton Park.

Carrot Rud when we win.

Molineux was good with 55000 in there for a game against WBA in 1960's.
Top 5 part 3 on 09:57 - Mar 31 with 1644 viewsFtnfwest

Nou Camp, Villa Park, Boleyn, Old Wembley, Leeds Road
Top 5 part 3 on 10:10 - Mar 31 with 1628 viewseastangliaisblue

Top 5 part 3 on 09:22 - Mar 31 by IPS_wich

Going to extend the interpretation of football given I've lived down under for seven years and football means Aussie Rules here.

1: Old Wembley - mainly because I was there for the 2000 play-off final and it is still one of my finest memories

2: MCG - watched a couple of Aussie Rules games there when I visited four years ago. It really is impossible to describe the scale of the place - a 101,000 seat stadium surrounding a cricket/footy pitch. The walk to the stadium is iconic, about a 2km walk from the CBD along the banks of the Yarra River and as you come round a bend in the river, there it is rising in front of you. Gave me goosebumps.

3: The Old Olympic Stadium in Munich - saw Bayern play Werder Bremen about 20 years ago. Was a great game with a unique atmosphere - quite unlike watching football in English stadiums.

4: The new Perth Stadium - my local stadium, also known as the mini-MCG (only a 60,000 capacity). Opened two years ago and it really is the epitome of a modern 21st century stadium. Loads of leg room, great views from any seat, every seat has a cup holder, enormous high-def screens at each end. It recently won a global architecture award for the best looking stadium (see pic below). Just a shame my (aussie rules) footy team have been pretty rubbish since it opened and are only getting crowds around 38,000.

5: Stadium of Light (Sunderland) - I've been to watch Ipswich there a few times as the wife is from those neck of the woods (not a Sunderland fan I hasten to add). There is quite a fabulous home end roar when Sunderland are on the attack and I just like it so much more than any of the identikit stadiums that went up in the 90s/00s. Seemed to have character from day one.

Perth stadium pictures

That looks very impressive
Top 5 part 3 on 10:47 - Mar 31 with 1596 viewsGuthrum

Old Ninian Park
City Ground
Pirelli Stadium
Ashton Gate
St Andrews, Birmingham

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Top 5 part 3 on 11:01 - Mar 31 with 1572 viewsGeoffSentence

Top 5 part 3 on 09:07 - Mar 31 by UB9Blue

Loftus Road, QPR - first ground I ever went and also quite local for Town games
Son Moix, Real Mallorca - watching football, drinking cold lager and taking in the sun
Vicarage Road, Watford - again very local, usually a good atmosphere for Town games (although miss the old walk around the allotments
Bernabeu, Real Madrid - atmosphere and the tapas bars in the business sector a few minutes away
Gigg Lane, Bury - compact, easy to reach and good local pubs

I'm not getting the love for Loftus Road in this thread. it's a shltheap of a ground with virtually all restricted views in the top-tier of the away end.

And in a grotty part of London overlooked by the towering sadness of Grenfell.

I disliked it so much I vow never to go back there again, even if we do play QPR at some point in the future.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Top 5 part 3 on 13:10 - Mar 31 with 1516 viewsRomeo4

Anfield - for its history. And under lights it was really impressive
Loftus Rd - proper old stadium. close to pitch. Great atmosphere created.
The hawthorns - never heard noise like it when the place got boinging!
Carrow Rd - only when we win!
Old Wembley - special memories
Top 5 part 3 on 14:31 - Mar 31 with 1481 viewseastangliaisblue

Top 5 part 3 on 11:01 - Mar 31 by GeoffSentence

I'm not getting the love for Loftus Road in this thread. it's a shltheap of a ground with virtually all restricted views in the top-tier of the away end.

And in a grotty part of London overlooked by the towering sadness of Grenfell.

I disliked it so much I vow never to go back there again, even if we do play QPR at some point in the future.

But that's what makes it what it is. I'd take a crap view and a grotty housing estate any day over a soulless edge of town identikit bowl.
Top 5 part 3 on 14:44 - Mar 31 with 1469 viewsuefacup81

Emirates
Olympiastadion - Berlin
Stadion an der Alten Försterei
New White Hart Lane
Friedrich Ludwig Jahn Sportpark

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Top 5 part 3 on 15:10 - Mar 31 with 1453 viewsRadlett_blue

I'd agree with the Amsterdam Arena. Saw Ajax thump Utrecht there last year and the football was electric.
I think the Emirates is also an excellent stadium (with getting away from it the only real issue).
Anfield & Upton Park (Boleyn Ground to post-modernists) seemed to have great atmospheres, as did old White Hart Lane.
I also liked the Baseball Ground & Goldstone Ground.
Craven Cottage scores for pubs & the walk, but loses out for its temporary away stand.
I like The Valley, but some emotional attachment as my father came from nearby & used to visit.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Top 5 part 3 on 15:27 - Mar 31 with 1433 viewsSwansea_Blue

Oooh, toughie.

In no particular order:

1) Westfalenstadion. I'd love to see Dortmund there. I stayed opposite once when I was on a conference and had a bit of a snoop around, but there wasn't a match on that week.

2) Şükrü Saracoğlu (Fenerbahçe) - mad bonkers crowd

3) Gigg Lane. Not sure why, just always enjoyed our trips there back in the Matt Holland era. Bury face a winding up order tomorrow btw :(

Than a whole load of possibles:

4) Probably Anfield - been there quite a few times over the years as a friend's family have STs. Can't beat an European night with the Kop in full voice (but can be very quiet at other times).

5) Vicarage Road - again, a place I've spent quite a bit of time due to a good mate who's a ST holder. I used to watch all our matches there back when we were at the same level.

Honorable mentions for Swindon (terrace days) and Ashton Gate, Villa Park, Molineux (several bizarre visits there whilst they were turning the pitch 90 degrees and still had the old wooden stand down one side). Crewe was a good day out crammed under that low roof. Emirates is awesome, but lacks atmosphere.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Top 5 part 3 on 15:38 - Mar 31 with 1425 viewsRadlett_blue

Top 5 part 3 on 15:27 - Mar 31 by Swansea_Blue

Oooh, toughie.

In no particular order:

1) Westfalenstadion. I'd love to see Dortmund there. I stayed opposite once when I was on a conference and had a bit of a snoop around, but there wasn't a match on that week.

2) Şükrü Saracoğlu (Fenerbahçe) - mad bonkers crowd

3) Gigg Lane. Not sure why, just always enjoyed our trips there back in the Matt Holland era. Bury face a winding up order tomorrow btw :(

Than a whole load of possibles:

4) Probably Anfield - been there quite a few times over the years as a friend's family have STs. Can't beat an European night with the Kop in full voice (but can be very quiet at other times).

5) Vicarage Road - again, a place I've spent quite a bit of time due to a good mate who's a ST holder. I used to watch all our matches there back when we were at the same level.

Honorable mentions for Swindon (terrace days) and Ashton Gate, Villa Park, Molineux (several bizarre visits there whilst they were turning the pitch 90 degrees and still had the old wooden stand down one side). Crewe was a good day out crammed under that low roof. Emirates is awesome, but lacks atmosphere.

I'm amazed at any of the love for Vicarage Road, unless it's down to St Chaplow's Day. It used to be a crappy ground with viewing poor because it had a wretched dog track round it, with the laughable allotments. After redevelopment, it's now a fairly ugly ground with an away end with a tiny concourse. It's only 6 miles from where I live so I've been there umpteen times & I also had to live through that unbelievable period when when we lost 12 & drew 2 out of 14 consecutive games against Watford, including that travesty of an FA Cup tie. My son told me he's probably seen Watford win more often than he's seen Ipswich win (in total).

Top 5 part 3 on 16:09 - Mar 31 with 1398 viewssolemio

Filbert Street
Old Wembley
Villa Park
Anfield
Elm Park, Reading
Top 5 part 3 on 16:20 - Mar 31 with 1389 viewsRadlett_blue

Top 5 part 3 on 16:09 - Mar 31 by solemio

Filbert Street
Old Wembley
Villa Park
Anfield
Elm Park, Reading

I understand why a Town fan has found memories of Old Wembley (we don't count the Charity Shield) but it was a shocking stadium in terms of viewing.

Top 5 part 3 on 16:23 - Mar 31 with 1386 viewssolemio

Top 5 part 3 on 16:20 - Mar 31 by Radlett_blue

I understand why a Town fan has found memories of Old Wembley (we don't count the Charity Shield) but it was a shocking stadium in terms of viewing.

Yes, it wasn't good for viewing, but as you say the memories...
I really liked the almost art deco architecture of the stadium; better from the outside than the inside.
Top 5 part 3 on 16:37 - Mar 31 with 1375 viewsPJH

Top 5 part 3 on 16:23 - Mar 31 by solemio

Yes, it wasn't good for viewing, but as you say the memories...
I really liked the almost art deco architecture of the stadium; better from the outside than the inside.

The twin towers were and always will be iconic.

Walking up Wembley Way was special.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024