Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No more social distancing announced 21:04 - May 11 with 1024 viewsPablokuqi

if you are a member of school staff or a reception, year 1 or year 6 pupil. The guidance has just been announced. No social distancing required when schools return.
No more social distancing announced on 21:19 - May 11 with 971 viewsStokieBlue

It's a bit more complicated and involved than that:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/may/11/headteachers-raise-concerns-ov

But you are right that the specific 2m rule won't apply everywhere.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

No more social distancing announced on 21:20 - May 11 with 966 viewsPablokuqi

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-implementing-pro

15 pupils per class.
No more social distancing announced on 21:24 - May 11 with 945 viewsDublinBlue84

All of this has to get past the Unions first that represent both the teachers and all other staff working in schools and other education providers.

The Unions have released their statement and will protect their members:
https://www.tuc.org.uk/news/unions-set-out-needs-safe-reopening-schools-letter-e

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

No more social distancing announced on 21:43 - May 11 with 900 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No more social distancing announced on 21:24 - May 11 by DublinBlue84

All of this has to get past the Unions first that represent both the teachers and all other staff working in schools and other education providers.

The Unions have released their statement and will protect their members:
https://www.tuc.org.uk/news/unions-set-out-needs-safe-reopening-schools-letter-e

This is the issue.

There is no way there can be any realistic social distancing with the age groups quoted.

The NEU has laid out 5 points to address and written to the Government 3 times now with no response.

The likelihood is that if the Government attempts to open schools on their schedule, there will only be those staff who are not in the NEU at best and quite plausibly no staff from any union (not far off 100% of staff). The Government will need to engage with them.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

No more social distancing announced on 21:53 - May 11 with 854 viewsPablokuqi

No more social distancing announced on 21:19 - May 11 by StokieBlue

It's a bit more complicated and involved than that:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/may/11/headteachers-raise-concerns-ov

But you are right that the specific 2m rule won't apply everywhere.

SB

I was going for dramatic effect! Nuance is not always a appreciated on the forum.

It was never going to be possible to social distance in early years so at least they haven't tried to say otherwise. But I think school staff will find it bizarre that in their work social distancing doesn't exist but you can't see your mum or dad. I expect further relaxation of measures prior to the 1st June to close this gap.
No more social distancing announced on 21:56 - May 11 with 845 viewsStokieBlue

No more social distancing announced on 21:43 - May 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

This is the issue.

There is no way there can be any realistic social distancing with the age groups quoted.

The NEU has laid out 5 points to address and written to the Government 3 times now with no response.

The likelihood is that if the Government attempts to open schools on their schedule, there will only be those staff who are not in the NEU at best and quite plausibly no staff from any union (not far off 100% of staff). The Government will need to engage with them.

It's a real mess because obviously the unions are right to protect the interests and health of their members and teachers as well as students should be as safe as possible.

It will however mean there will be huge numbers of parents unable to return to work and there will be no furlough in place for those currently on one.

A huge mess with no easy solution except extending the furlough which is a whole different debate. There is also the fact that all the time schools are closed, kids education is suffering, The teachers have been trying their very best but it's very difficult to send a "one-fits-all" set of work to a class of 30 with hugely differing abilities.

SB

No more social distancing announced on 22:06 - May 11 with 822 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No more social distancing announced on 21:56 - May 11 by StokieBlue

It's a real mess because obviously the unions are right to protect the interests and health of their members and teachers as well as students should be as safe as possible.

It will however mean there will be huge numbers of parents unable to return to work and there will be no furlough in place for those currently on one.

A huge mess with no easy solution except extending the furlough which is a whole different debate. There is also the fact that all the time schools are closed, kids education is suffering, The teachers have been trying their very best but it's very difficult to send a "one-fits-all" set of work to a class of 30 with hugely differing abilities.

SB

The solution involves the Government engaging with the Union and addressing the concerns.

That may not be easy but surely is the job of Government.

Instead, I presume they will continue to ignore and then attempt to paint any failure to proceed on the teachers and the unions. I will say again, the NEU has written to the Government 3 times now over schools reopening and not received any response.

EDIT: As for your last sentence I do not understand it. What are you trying to say? That the work we are setting is somehow less appropriate for our classes than that which we would deliver to them face-to-face? I am not sure you quite understand what is being done in schools at the moment. Of course, if you mean lack of access to devices disadvantages some more than others I follow but it wasn't quite how it was worded.
[Post edited 11 May 2020 22:11]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

No more social distancing announced on 22:16 - May 11 with 788 viewsStokieBlue

No more social distancing announced on 22:06 - May 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

The solution involves the Government engaging with the Union and addressing the concerns.

That may not be easy but surely is the job of Government.

Instead, I presume they will continue to ignore and then attempt to paint any failure to proceed on the teachers and the unions. I will say again, the NEU has written to the Government 3 times now over schools reopening and not received any response.

EDIT: As for your last sentence I do not understand it. What are you trying to say? That the work we are setting is somehow less appropriate for our classes than that which we would deliver to them face-to-face? I am not sure you quite understand what is being done in schools at the moment. Of course, if you mean lack of access to devices disadvantages some more than others I follow but it wasn't quite how it was worded.
[Post edited 11 May 2020 22:11]

I was agreeing with you that the union should ensure their members are safe.

I am not sure how the concerns can be addressed. 30 people don't go into a space for 15 or even 10 people with the same level of education for all - it's a physical impossibility. That is why I said it was a mess, I wasn't apportioning blame to the teachers. The further mess ensues when schools aren't open and people are expected to go to work or not earn any money. It's just a circumstance of the situation.

My last sentence is an individual point - the school send work and they are doing an excellent job in preparing a PDF booklet set into days with interesting work. My point specifically is that the booklet is designed for the median of the class, it's usually completed by the end of Monday leaving myself to allocate work for the rest of the week. That is fine and entirely not their fault as I said - they are doing their best to provide a single solution for everyone but when they are at school they are given extra work and challenges when they finish and can't race ahead and complete everything because the class work at an allotted time as as a single unit. No matter what I set them and do with them it's never going to be as good as a proper teacher engaging with them in the way they have been trained to do, doubly so when having to work.

SB
[Post edited 11 May 2020 22:28]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024