Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London commuters.... 08:32 - Oct 17 with 22513 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.....stressy lot aren't they?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/extinction-rebellion-tube-disruption-l

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

London commuters.... on 09:33 - Oct 19 with 1153 viewsStokieBlue

London commuters.... on 09:16 - Oct 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

In further developments.....
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/19/police-seek-tougher-powers-a
.....smell the freedom in the air....but at least we aren't Hong Kong, right!

It's nothing like Hong Kong. When they start shooting live rounds and using tear gas and water cannon on juveniles you might have a point. The proposed changes aren't what I would want but the comparison is silly.

Getting rather sick of these false equivalencies people push on this forum. Yesterday it was China and the Uighurs equated to data collection in the UK which was ridiculous and now this one which has been pushed by multiple posters.

It belittles the original instances in order to make some cheap anti-establishment point about the UK.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

London commuters.... on 09:43 - Oct 19 with 1139 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 09:33 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

It's nothing like Hong Kong. When they start shooting live rounds and using tear gas and water cannon on juveniles you might have a point. The proposed changes aren't what I would want but the comparison is silly.

Getting rather sick of these false equivalencies people push on this forum. Yesterday it was China and the Uighurs equated to data collection in the UK which was ridiculous and now this one which has been pushed by multiple posters.

It belittles the original instances in order to make some cheap anti-establishment point about the UK.

SB

.....or you can stop inventing false equivalence and see the parallels about right to protest.

Edit.....having been charged and battoned by mounted riot police in the middle of Salisbury plain and seen the Met in action throughout West Yorkshire I wouldn't be too complacent if I were you!
[Post edited 19 Oct 2019 9:47]

London commuters.... on 09:54 - Oct 19 with 1114 viewsWeWereZombies

London commuters.... on 09:33 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

SB

The most interesting thing that has come out of this thread, for me, is the post by DanTheMan highlighting the division within Extinction Rebellion itself about the course of action to take. That triggered a few posts (from Lagos and one or two others) that were considered and constructive. My take on things as they stand is:

1. As much as anything matters the protection of habitats for as many species as this planet can sustain is vital because a web of living things aids the preservation of all living things even if some of those living things predate on other living things (although a tiny sliver of nihilism within me wants to suggest that we should give the worst of human beings as much power as we can so that our wretched species can consign itself to the dustbin of history without delay).

2. To atomise the legalities around things, as you constantly seem to attempt to do, does not help. In a World where everything connects to something else (and often many things) to try and operate a control experiment is pointless. Wait until the heat death of the Universe to go for that approach. Except no broadcast will be possible. And even if it was there would be no reception.

3. Personal habits can seem irrelevant when such large scale destruction is happening but, there again, it is that large network of personal habits that can have wrought much of the destruction so to change them can have a profound effect. But changing personal habits at short notice requires extreme methods of coercion.

I keep on rediscovering the importance of the dialectal method throughout my life and it isn't half annoying. However it is necessary.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

London commuters.... on 09:57 - Oct 19 with 1109 viewsStokieBlue

London commuters.... on 09:43 - Oct 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

.....or you can stop inventing false equivalence and see the parallels about right to protest.

Edit.....having been charged and battoned by mounted riot police in the middle of Salisbury plain and seen the Met in action throughout West Yorkshire I wouldn't be too complacent if I were you!
[Post edited 19 Oct 2019 9:47]

I'm sorry it hear that but I suspect it was a long time ago and it's still nothing like what is going on in HK.

You're still drawing an equivalence between the UK police and HK police, one of which has used live rounds on protestors and thus I think my original point has been strengthened.

SB

London commuters.... on 10:17 - Oct 19 with 1099 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 09:57 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

I'm sorry it hear that but I suspect it was a long time ago and it's still nothing like what is going on in HK.

You're still drawing an equivalence between the UK police and HK police, one of which has used live rounds on protestors and thus I think my original point has been strengthened.

SB

No the edit is a separate point.....the original one is about laws clamping down on protest.

London commuters.... on 10:39 - Oct 19 with 1088 viewsStokieBlue

London commuters.... on 10:17 - Oct 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

No the edit is a separate point.....the original one is about laws clamping down on protest.

Once again though they are two different things. In HK non-disruptive protests are being banned as are public gatherings. If they go ahead the means to break them up are far different to here. This is a discussion around invasive civil disobedience. A rally in an agreed location won't be banned in the UK I wouldn't think - they haven't been before.

It's a discussion between freedom of protest and freedom of people to live and go about their lives. Both should be compatible, XR have taken an approach which makes them incompatible.

Now XR have good reasons why they think this method of protesting is the only viable method to get results and they might be right but surely you can see that some happy medium needs to be reached?

It's a discussion that needs to be had. XR have good points and they need to be addressed but perhaps the protesting methods need to be addressed as well.

SB

London commuters.... on 10:52 - Oct 19 with 1080 viewsWeWereZombies

London commuters.... on 10:39 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

Once again though they are two different things. In HK non-disruptive protests are being banned as are public gatherings. If they go ahead the means to break them up are far different to here. This is a discussion around invasive civil disobedience. A rally in an agreed location won't be banned in the UK I wouldn't think - they haven't been before.

It's a discussion between freedom of protest and freedom of people to live and go about their lives. Both should be compatible, XR have taken an approach which makes them incompatible.

Now XR have good reasons why they think this method of protesting is the only viable method to get results and they might be right but surely you can see that some happy medium needs to be reached?

It's a discussion that needs to be had. XR have good points and they need to be addressed but perhaps the protesting methods need to be addressed as well.

SB

What about protests about tube fares?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-50106743
[Post edited 19 Oct 2019 10:56]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

London commuters.... on 21:38 - Oct 19 with 981 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

London commuters.... on 09:00 - Oct 17 by footers

I understand the frustration it may cause some people but tbf the future of the planet is probably more important than being a bit late on one day.

If governments had taken greater action before then maybe this wouldn't need to happen. But they didn't

If you want to be angry at people, may I suggest the complacent politicians who've done nothing or the crooked ones taking backhanders from fossil fuel companines instead of people taking action to save the planet?

Almost all of them seem to be absolute freakshows though.

Like wtf is moving around and waving their arms as ‘trees’ going to do ffs.

Weirdos. I have no sympathy for any of them whatsoever.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Login to get fewer ads

London commuters.... on 21:43 - Oct 19 with 977 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 21:38 - Oct 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Fancy some acid Rommers?

London commuters.... on 05:15 - Oct 20 with 916 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Rowan Atkinson & Leslie Ash might well disagree.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

London commuters.... on 09:09 - Oct 20 with 885 viewsbrogansnose

ER have got a lot of support and agreement with a lot of their aims within the general populace. A lot of this is based on concerns with climate change and also helped along with soft focus matters raised by the likes of Attenborough, images of oceans covered with plastic and Meerkats suffocating in carrier bags !

If they are to succeed and have any viable traction in influencing and making change happen then they need the support of people who normally don't protest and engage on any political level. Alienate them and then they'll be swung over to a dismissive media and vested interest paradigm of 'nutters and trouble makers' which isn't helped by attacking, albeit in an attempt to bring the issues to the forefront, the population who see tube travel and public transport and greener. Those commuters trying to get the protesters off the top of the train were not the decision makers at the top.

There are far better targets to go for which would get support and in my view this was a missguided stunt which has backfired on them and lost them support. Its not about self righteous acts of protest based the whatever validity of the cause, its about hearts and minds. No movement for change has ever succeeded without that unless it has become a malign entity.
London commuters.... on 09:11 - Oct 20 with 883 viewsBackToRussia

I'm sure you've got a great idea to help.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

London commuters.... on 09:22 - Oct 20 with 865 viewsHerbivore

You really are young Benters.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024