Quantcast
Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Jimi Hendrix 06:37 - Sep 18 with 1000 viewsTheJam

50 years ago today 😢

Poll: Mick in/out v Brexit in/out

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 10:17 - Sep 18 with 803 viewshampstead_blue

Our youngest has Hendrix as a middle name

My guitar hero.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 10:57 - Sep 18 with 788 viewsWeWereZombies

Poll: How thick is Matt Hancock?

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 11:15 - Sep 18 with 776 viewsMetal_Hacker

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 10:57 - Sep 18 by WeWereZombies

Those Marshall stacks.....full of over-driven craziness !! Beautiful

Poll: Who's more out of their depth ?

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 13:02 - Sep 18 with 759 viewsPendejo

uberima fides
Poll: Who will Charlie Austin play for next season?

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 15:08 - Sep 18 with 738 viewsElephantintheRoom

Mitch Mitchell & Noel Redding are none too lively nowadays neither - nor manager Chas Chandler.

Not sure Jimi will be resting in peace - man

Blog: Wing Wonders (Part Two)

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 16:37 - Sep 18 with 703 viewsMullet

I'm a massive fan and still think this is the best cover of all time.

Also weird to think he played with Wilson Pickett in full tux and 50's rock n roll look before emerging as the psychadelic phenom he became.

Pretty sure this version of Hey Joe doesn't have him on it, someone in the comments says it Duane Allman which makes sense

Poll: Would you like Ipswich to get promoted?
Blog: Climbing Up the Walls

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 16:46 - Sep 18 with 689 viewsghostofescobar

And happy birthday me. I was celebrating my second birthday when poor Jimi died. Can't say I remember much about it!

GhostOfEscobar

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 16:52 - Sep 18 with 685 viewsBlueandTruesince82

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 16:37 - Sep 18 by Mullet

Also weird to think he played with Wilson Pickett in full tux and 50's rock n roll look before emerging as the psychadelic phenom he became.

Pretty sure this version of Hey Joe doesn't have him on it, someone in the comments says it Duane Allman which makes sense

It may well be Duane Allman who played on Picketts version of Hey Jude when he was a session musicians at Mussel Shoals.... if you like good music the Mussel Shoals documentuary (Maybe on Iplayer) is well worth a watch... Pickett, The Stones, Candi Stanton all cut records there with the Swampers in session, its a good watch.

The below I haven't come across before and will look forward to checking that out. I can also reccomened Jonny Halidays version, in French
[Post edited 18 Sep 16:53]
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 17:11 - Sep 18 with 664 viewsWeWereZombies

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 16:46 - Sep 18 by ghostofescobar

And happy birthday me. I was celebrating my second birthday when poor Jimi died. Can't say I remember much about it!

It got a mention on the nine'o'clock news...sobering as a fifteen year old.

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 19:43 - Sep 18 with 629 viewsBluespeed225

My old workmate had a great story about seeing him at the funfair on Ranelagh Road the day he was playing at the Gaumont. Which was a package with a great line up! There is footage on YT I think.
RIP Jimi Hendrix on 19:45 - Sep 18 with 625 viewsMullet

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 16:52 - Sep 18 by BlueandTruesince82

It may well be Duane Allman who played on Picketts version of Hey Jude when he was a session musicians at Mussel Shoals.... if you like good music the Mussel Shoals documentuary (Maybe on Iplayer) is well worth a watch... Pickett, The Stones, Candi Stanton all cut records there with the Swampers in session, its a good watch.

The below I haven't come across before and will look forward to checking that out. I can also reccomened Jonny Halidays version, in French
[Post edited 18 Sep 16:53]

Yeah I was listening to the Weight with Aretha this morning whilst setting my classroom up. I think it's likely to be DA on this, it's definitely him on Hey Jude as I was reading that the studio boss was away when he convinced Wilson to record it and they thought he was crazy. Turned out to be gold!

I'm not really an expert on any of that era, so will definitely check that out.

Poll: Would you like Ipswich to get promoted?
Blog: Climbing Up the Walls

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 22:08 - Sep 18 with 555 viewssolemio

Which 'classical' composer's former house did Hendrix live in in London for a while?
RIP Jimi Hendrix on 22:13 - Sep 18 with 555 viewsrfretwell

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 19:45 - Sep 18 by Mullet

Yeah I was listening to the Weight with Aretha this morning whilst setting my classroom up. I think it's likely to be DA on this, it's definitely him on Hey Jude as I was reading that the studio boss was away when he convinced Wilson to record it and they thought he was crazy. Turned out to be gold!

Anyone on here go to the Hendrix exhibition in London a few years ago? Fantastic footage and fans from all round the world attended. His manager had him on a watertight contract by which he had to play Hey Joe etc every live gig and also play with his teeth. Fans lapped that up of course but H desperate to branch out. Who knows where his musical genius would have led him.
RIP Jimi Hendrix on 22:22 - Sep 18 with 553 viewsBlueandTruesince82

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 19:45 - Sep 18 by Mullet

Thats true, it was DAs suggetion, talked him to.it over lunch coz he and Pickett ate at the studio on account of the black man and the long hair not being welcome in many establishments down south
RIP Jimi Hendrix on 22:50 - Sep 18 with 535 viewsMelford

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 16:37 - Sep 18 by Mullet

Even Bob himself said it pisses all over his version and took it somewhere else
The first time that Bob Dylan heard Jimi Hendrix's rendition of "All Along the Watchtower," he was blown away. "It overwhelmed me, really," he said in 1995. "He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn't think of finding in there.

I love this in the same vein, he was touring over here when Pepper came out.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: Lovejoy or Bergerac?

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 23:18 - Sep 18 with 527 viewsWeWereZombies

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 19:43 - Sep 18 by Bluespeed225

My old workmate had a great story about seeing him at the funfair on Ranelagh Road the day he was playing at the Gaumont. Which was a package with a great line up! There is footage on YT I think.

Here you go

G.F. Handel by the way, solemio

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 23:37 - Sep 18 with 515 viewsMelford

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 23:18 - Sep 18 by WeWereZombies

Here you go

G.F. Handel by the way, solemio

Everybody used to play at the Gaumont back in the day, The Beatles played there. Nowadays Ipswich is off the map, bands play Norwich and Cambridge but not Ipswich. Most of the bands I want to see touring I have to go to London or Norwich. You have the odd decent one like Squeeze and Heaven 17 last year but Ipswich isn't a stop on most band's tours now.

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 00:11 - Sep 19 with 500 viewsvapour_trail

Thanks people, some great links, one of my favourite threads of recent times.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 00:27 - Sep 19 with 486 viewsjaykay

even 6 and 8 year olds are learning about him today.
the kids in this family were having a great time in quarantine

bring back callis + young footers

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 10:26 - Sep 19 with 413 viewsBlueandTruesince82

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 00:27 - Sep 19 by jaykay

even 6 and 8 year olds are learning about him today.
the kids in this family were having a great time in quarantine

Long may that continue.... so much of my taste comes from my parents and in particular the tape that was always on in the car.

Hendrix
Seager
Zappa
Marsharl Tucker Band
Dire Straits
Pistols
Stones and more.

Expose your kids to good music early people

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 12:24 - Sep 19 with 390 viewsmarcus1642

All three of my kids have been fully introduced to alot of classic Rock. I was a couple of months old when Hendrix died, however his music lives on and I still listen to it.

My middle son Cameron plays mafia 3 on ps4, it has an absolutely brilliant sound track. There was some really excellent music during the late 60s to early 70s check it out on Spotify.

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 12:42 - Sep 19 with 383 viewsjaykay

i was 21 and life was good. then this happened ,it seemed what was all good in the 60s was ending at the start of the 70s. they did release voodoo child later in the year which did go to number 1.
the only good thing , was we were in what is known today as the premier league

bring back callis + young footers

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 19:18 - Sep 19 with 351 viewssolemio

We Were Zombies, I think you may be the Messiah.
RIP Jimi Hendrix on 00:05 - Sep 20 with 315 viewsMelford

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 00:11 - Sep 19 by vapour_trail

Thanks people, some great links, one of my favourite threads of recent times.

I was so lucky in that my old man was a proper hippie, and went to both Isle of Wights, Hyde Park in 69 for the Stones, He's seen Dylan, Hendrix, Doors, Stones in their prime. He's passed so much music my way.

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 00:20 - Sep 20 with 306 viewsstiff_talking

RIP Jimi Hendrix on 00:05 - Sep 20 by Melford

I was so lucky in that my old man was a proper hippie, and went to both Isle of Wights, Hyde Park in 69 for the Stones, He's seen Dylan, Hendrix, Doors, Stones in their prime. He's passed so much music my way.

Wonderful guitarist and there are so many great recording moments

Some of his remastered live performances are worth purchasing and add new insights into his incredible ability.

Very controversial ending but let’s not dwell on negatives when we can celebrate this great man !

Jimi RIP !

Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2020