Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. 19:35 - Jun 8 with 6188 viewsBlueBadger

Phil has very kindly said he will pass this on.

Long term stadium announcer Rob Chandler has officially announced his departure from Portman Road, so please, leave your messages to say 'thank you'.

It would be nice if we could keep the comments positive please - the old saying of if you have nothing nice to say... would be appropriate here - it is the very least he deserves.

I'm by no means a PR regular attendee but he was always an important part of the matchday experience and one of life's rare constants, be it anouncing the line ups to the sly digs the announcing Norwich scores it will not be the same at PR.

Good luck to Rob in whatever you're doing next.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2021 20:45]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 19:44 - Jun 8 with 5124 viewspointofblue

I really enjoyed Rob being the stadium announcer - funny, self-deprecating, engaging, always involving the fans including those in the visiting enclosure. He has big shoes to fill!

Enjoy the games as a season ticket holder, Rob, and thank you for all the hard work down the years.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 19:57 - Jun 8 with 5065 viewswkj

Cheers to Rob who was as big a part of the match day experience as any of the players I have ever watched.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 19:59 - Jun 8 with 5079 viewsEastTownBlue

Yes, good luck Rob. A true fan.

A couple of memories.

On one of the number of occassions that Norwich got promoted to the PL they had chanted at the Ipswich supporters during a match "we will never see you again". About 18 months later they were back at Portman Road in the Championship and RC announced while on the pitch to them, "oh, I thought that we were never going to see you again".

Another memory was I believe when he (or the club) received a warning from the FA. Manchester City scored from a corner during the televised FA Cup match in 2002. It should have been our goal kick but Rob announced to the crowd know what they already knew about the decision before the second half started.
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 19:59 - Jun 8 with 5070 viewstextbackup

please say its not "and coming on to replace xxxxx is the judge, alan judge" that'll be on it fulltime?!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 20:27 - Jun 8 with 4992 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Very much the voice of Portman Road. Well done, Rob and I only hope whoever takes over can live up to the role.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 20:35 - Jun 8 with 4948 viewsMerseyBlue

Thank you for being a great servant to the club through thick and a hell of a lot of thin. It genuinely won't be the same without you.

Not many people can perfectly balance hype, humour and professionalism but I always felt you were a master of your craft. You will be sorely missed but we all hope you enjoy your time watching from the stands.

Nice one Rob

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 20:35 - Jun 8 with 4946 viewsPrideOfTheEast

A massive part of the Portman Road experience and I suspect he didn’t even realise it.

Great at this job. The play off games from years gone by stand out.
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 20:41 - Jun 8 with 4922 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 20:35 - Jun 8 by PrideOfTheEast

A massive part of the Portman Road experience and I suspect he didn’t even realise it.

Great at this job. The play off games from years gone by stand out.

Loved the way he started at Wembley with thanking the Barnsley fans for their tribute to Alan Brazil.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 21:08 - Jun 8 with 4826 viewslongtimefan

Lived around the corner from Rob as a kid and went to the same Primary school. He was a year above me but used to play football with him in the local park too. He was always the best player there. Have always enjoyed listening to him at the matches and he was really part of the furniture. Will miss his contribution.
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 21:57 - Jun 8 with 4703 viewsFrank_Dollop

Well done Rob, a fantastic run of service to the club and the PA job. Your boots will be very difficult to fill. The combination you had of being a natural broadcaster and true fan won’t be easy to replicate. Enjoy being a fan again. P.S. - can you recommend the best place to get a black rinse for my barnet 😉
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 22:31 - Jun 8 with 4614 viewsEiffel78

A huge part of the matchday experience for so many years, it never feels quite right when someone else has taken over for odd games. I remember my first game back in 1998, a 3-1 win over Charlton, with about 50 of us going from my school as part of a promotion and he gave us a special shout out before the game (his brother, my history teacher, had organised us going down, so there was a connection). Through all the ups and downs, he's been there; the joy of Wembley and the pain of relegation, getting in trouble for pointing out Man City's goal in the FA Cup shouldn't have happened, stabbing a Norwich shirt with a pitchfork after wearing it for Children in Need, getting behind the idea to play Tom Hark for that game against Sheffield United, so many memories... matches won't be the same without him and whoever comes next has some very big shoes to fill.
Thanks for everything Rob, you made the matchday experience so much better for thousands of people and you'll be missed.

Edit: been reminded it was Mark Murphy who actually wore the shirt. But it was the stabbing that made us laugh.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 22:44]
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 23:14 - Jun 8 with 4543 viewsNthQldITFC

Thanks Rob. I always enjoyed your rich, melodic voice over the Tannoy, second only to that fella at Anfield, imho. The clarity of your "whoo-whoo-whoo" for the safety announcement still amazes me.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 23:23 - Jun 8 with 4534 viewsdominiciawful

As said above, Rob Chandler has been the voice of football at Portman Road. Going to games without him on the mic will seem very odd as he has become so familiar and, I suppose, "comforting" to hear. A great voice and sense of humour too. His enthusiasm and genuine love for the team and club shine through. He really will be missed and his successor has sizeable shoes to fill. I hope Rob gets to enjoy watching us from the stands in the 2021/22 season as we look to move forwards in this new era.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 23:33 - Jun 8 with 4520 viewsBLUEBEAT

Thank you and congratulations on your retirement from PA duties

You have been the only constant at Portman Road over recent decades

Had some fun too 😂

Poll: W or W

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 00:16 - Jun 9 with 4487 viewsreusersfreekicks

Great job. Thank you.
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 07:24 - Jun 9 with 4318 viewsMeadowlark

Will miss you on the mic Rob.
I remember Bryan Knights who was on the PA for 20 years.
We will now remember you both as "the voice of Portman Road."
Thanks.
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 08:11 - Jun 9 with 4263 viewsMeadowlark

Will miss you on the mic Rob.
I remember Bryan Knights who was on the PA for 20 years.
We will now remember you both as "the voice of Portman Road."
Thanks.
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 08:22 - Jun 9 with 4251 viewsTrumptonBlue

Rob's tribute to Dale Roberts before that Sheffield United game was a truly wonderful thing. Incredibly moving without being mawkish, it left me - and many others, I'm sure - in tears but simultaneously determined to do my bit to help the team put in a performance of which Dale would have been proud. I truly believe it was a factor in what happened on the pitch on that incredible day.

He's long been an important and entertaining part of going to the match, but I always wanted to thank him in particular for his words that day.
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 10:53 - Jun 9 with 4084 viewsDebsyAngel

You can enjoy yourself the other side with the fans now! Will miss your announcements, you have done a terrific job over the years. Thank you Rob!
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 11:24 - Jun 9 with 4042 viewsjonbull88

All the very best Rob. As many have stated you have been a huge part of the match day routine for so long and it never did feel right when people stepped in for the odd game or 2.

I hope you enjoy returning as a supporter in what hopefully should be a better era than this last one.

All the best. 👍🏻
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 12:23 - Jun 9 with 3981 viewschrismakin

There are many things that contribute to a matchday experience.

Rob was one of these. You didnt just call out a squad selection you really made sure the ground got pumped up. I remember the stand wars younwould start. North v Churchmans v Pioneer v Cobbold.

Thanks for all you efforts Rob. And welcome to the other side.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 13:43 - Jun 9 with 3835 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's part of the furniture and it's going to be really strange not hearing his voice. I'm not a regular by any means either, but to me he's synonymous with the FPR match day experience and I can't imagine it without him.

Thanks Rob and good luck in your next adventure.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 14:29 - Jun 9 with 3768 viewsIP4Blue

Through my 20 odd years of going to PR he will always be the voice of Ipswich Town matchdays. He always brought the right balance of humour, positivity and clear communication. He also involved visiting fans at times too.

Favourite memory was when we came from 0-2 behind at home to Sheffield Utd in 2003/04 (?) proclaiming at the final whistle 'it might be my wife's lucky night!'.
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 14:44 - Jun 9 with 3753 viewsSwailsey

Thank you for bringing positivity and humour into an often depressing and unfunny match day!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 17:16 - Jun 9 with 3667 viewsblaggers

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 19:59 - Jun 8 by textbackup

please say its not "and coming on to replace xxxxx is the judge, alan judge" that'll be on it fulltime?!

So my comment gets deleted and this one stays?

Poll: What happens next?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024