Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough league†09:50 - Sep 1 with 6281 viewsunstableblue

…. And a poor start due to errors from new players… and the refrain this morning is “If Cook doesn’t get us automatic promotion he’s a complete fraud” “there are no excuses for Cook not to secure automatic promotion”

I agree play-offs is an absolute must. But this concept that we now have some god given right for automatic promotion seems a little naive - this is league one, this is football, we are now the team everyone wants to beat and play up against.

This amount of squad flux and bedding in is unheard of in our history. It’s going to take time to get all the moving parts in synch. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

You’ve also got Sheff Weds, Sunderland, Wigan, Wycombe, Rotherham, Portsmouth. Are they going to suddenly roll over… “Ipswich squad looks strong here beat us and take the 3 points”

Plus these teams like Burton, MK they are just no pushovers.

You win games through 3 things, and we’ve only got one of those factors through having the best squad (note Sheff Weds, Wigan, Sunderland look good on paper also), you also need confidence/belief/desire/cohesion (where we look miles off currently), and system/tactics (where the buck stops with Cook)

Play offs is a minimum (and hopeful promotion through that route), in a few months starting to dominate teams and show excellence in performance is also a must, and a hope that if it clicks in time to mount a serious top two challenge.

But football is tough…. We’ve no god given right even with the obvious squad strength.

BACK THE PROJECT. This will take time.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 14:09 - Sep 1 with 1293 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 13:28 - Sep 1 by jayessess

In real life football more often than not the richest clubs win promotion and sack their manager if they don't.

This is true. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it or it's the right way to go about things! One doesn't have to look any further than Derby. There are plenty of other examples.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 14:10 - Sep 1 with 1300 viewstimothyeo

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 13:33 - Sep 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

I've not seen a single person happy with just finishing top half.

There's several just on one thread:
Expectation thread by Bluefish 15 Aug 2021 10:13
Please can you post your expectation for the season and how long you give as gelling time

Top 2

Needs to be winning football by mid Sept

Some of whom don't seem to even have a particular concern about where we finish whatsoever, just so long as there is evidence of 'progress'
Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 14:14 - Sep 1 with 1285 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 14:10 - Sep 1 by timothyeo

Please can you post your expectation for the season and how long you give as gelling time

Top 2

Some of whom don't seem to even have a particular concern about where we finish whatsoever, just so long as there is evidence of 'progress'

Haven't read that thread. Off my lunch break now so I'll have a look later.

Anyone happy with bottom half is as bonkers as your suggestion that you won't be happy with second, only champions will do.

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 14:16 - Sep 1 with 1284 viewsitfcjoe

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 14:09 - Sep 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

This is true. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it or it's the right way to go about things! One doesn't have to look any further than Derby. There are plenty of other examples.

Derby were trying to compete against teams getting £40m parachute payments though - they were big spenders but there were always at least 4 or 5 teams in the division able to easily outspend them. That's not the case at this level

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 14:24 - Sep 1 with 1257 viewsjayessess

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 14:16 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

Derby were trying to compete against teams getting £40m parachute payments though - they were big spenders but there were always at least 4 or 5 teams in the division able to easily outspend them. That's not the case at this level

If people think a league finish in line with your budget is a big ask, heaven help us if we get back to the Championship!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 14:32 - Sep 1 with 1234 viewsunstableblue

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 13:24 - Sep 1 by Vic

I see you put “If Cook doesn’t get us automatic promotion he’s a complete fraud” as a quite. Who exactly said this? I think you’re putting words into people’s mouths - as is your comment about auto promotion being some sort of ‘god given right’. Really, no one is saying that. All some of us assaying is that with this squad it ought to be achievable.

We all know it’s what we’re targeting, but equally we all know that we might not make it.

And as far as I can tell everyone single person on this board is currently ‘backing the project’. No one is saying Cook should go. Even Joe hasn’t put any ifs or buts in his comments today! But I will! The fact remains that so far Cook has had a dismal record here at ITFC and he needs to improve it quickly. I honestly expect him to now he’s got Morsy and another GK in. But it doesn’t always happen, and just pointing that out doesn’t mean I’m not behind the project. In fact it means I am even more so, because the project isn’t Paul Cook, the project is promotion and consolidation in the championship, regardless of who is manager.

Good post

But again you miss my point a little

If Cook doesn’t get a win in September i’ll Probably be calling for his head. And as stated playoffs and playing very good and cohesive football is the minimum come May.

To be honest unless we’re flying come January the guy needs to go.

The signing of Aluko, looking technically inferior to burton at times, and seemingly not getting the number 10 to function in his system to date are further causes for concern.

But if we look massively improved and strong come May but miss the top two because a Wednesday or a Wigan got away from us... do the owners sack him, or roll the project into another season? We’ve no God given right for automatic, and we’re already points down.

But totally agree the project is not the manager.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 15:43 - Sep 1 with 1197 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 14:16 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

It was more a general point that throwing money and sacking managers doesn't necessarily bring success.

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 15:55 - Sep 1 with 1179 viewstimothyeo

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 15:43 - Sep 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

It was more a general point that throwing money and sacking managers doesn't necessarily bring success.

If you keep getting the wrong managers, then of course. Much like ourselves recently.
Login to get fewer ads

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 15:57 - Sep 1 with 1168 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 14:10 - Sep 1 by timothyeo

Top 2

Ok, I've had a look now, and you were, unsurprisingly, telling fibs.

ONE person said mid-table.
TWO people said they have no real expectation.

Everyone else said top 6 minimum and many said higher.

Once again, you were straw-manning.

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:08 - Sep 1 with 1141 viewsjayessess

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 15:55 - Sep 1 by timothyeo

If you keep getting the wrong managers, then of course. Much like ourselves recently.

In 2017-18 Derby's wage bill was the 6th largest in the division.
From 2013 to 2019, they finished 3rd, 8th, 5th, 9th, 6th, 6th. Hard to make the case that they under-achieved because they kept firing people, when they were more or less finishing where you'd expect them to, given the budget involved.

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:16 - Sep 1 with 1121 viewsChurchman

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 13:24 - Sep 1 by Vic

I see you put “If Cook doesn’t get us automatic promotion he’s a complete fraud” as a quite. Who exactly said this? I think you’re putting words into people’s mouths - as is your comment about auto promotion being some sort of ‘god given right’. Really, no one is saying that. All some of us assaying is that with this squad it ought to be achievable.

We all know it’s what we’re targeting, but equally we all know that we might not make it.

And as far as I can tell everyone single person on this board is currently ‘backing the project’. No one is saying Cook should go. Even Joe hasn’t put any ifs or buts in his comments today! But I will! The fact remains that so far Cook has had a dismal record here at ITFC and he needs to improve it quickly. I honestly expect him to now he’s got Morsy and another GK in. But it doesn’t always happen, and just pointing that out doesn’t mean I’m not behind the project. In fact it means I am even more so, because the project isn’t Paul Cook, the project is promotion and consolidation in the championship, regardless of who is manager.

I think the point made that Cook is an element in the project is absolutely key. When you put structure in place throughout the club, the first team and it’s manager is part of that. A key part, obviously, but If Cook doesn’t deliver and is replaced, it shouldn’t alter what the owners are trying to do in rebuilding the club and getting it back to where it should and can be.

After an awful start, I think it will come good for Cook, but the pressure is on now, just as it should be.
Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:16 - Sep 1 with 1115 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:08 - Sep 1 by jayessess

In 2017-18 Derby's wage bill was the 6th largest in the division.
From 2013 to 2019, they finished 3rd, 8th, 5th, 9th, 6th, 6th. Hard to make the case that they under-achieved because they kept firing people, when they were more or less finishing where you'd expect them to, given the budget involved.

Also hard to make the case that sacking managers and throwing money at the next one was a successful tactic...

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:24 - Sep 1 with 1101 viewstimothyeo

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 15:57 - Sep 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

Ok, I've had a look now, and you were, unsurprisingly, telling fibs.

ONE person said mid-table.
TWO people said they have no real expectation.

Everyone else said top 6 minimum and many said higher.

Once again, you were straw-manning.

Well, no, it was you that said NO-ONE would be happy with midtable.

That was factually incorrect. I was telling the truth - you were lying, or just ignorant of reality.
Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:29 - Sep 1 with 1085 viewsjayessess

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:16 - Sep 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

Also hard to make the case that sacking managers and throwing money at the next one was a successful tactic...

I'd say 4 play-offs in 6 seasons with the 6th biggest budget is success, relatively speaking. Equivalent for us would be winning L1 this season and comfortably staying up next.

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:37 - Sep 1 with 1065 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:24 - Sep 1 by timothyeo

Well, no, it was you that said NO-ONE would be happy with midtable.

That was factually incorrect. I was telling the truth - you were lying, or just ignorant of reality.

No.

I said I'd not seen a single person, which was true.

I also said "happy with bottom half" not midtable.

And you said "There's several just on one thread."

Which was false.

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:40 - Sep 1 with 1063 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:29 - Sep 1 by jayessess

I'd say 4 play-offs in 6 seasons with the 6th biggest budget is success, relatively speaking. Equivalent for us would be winning L1 this season and comfortably staying up next.

They were trying to buy promotion. They failed every time... and in fact almost got out of the Championship the other way last season.

By no measure can you call Derby's strategy a success. They've been a running joke on TWTD (and I imagine many other forums) for years!

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:45 - Sep 1 with 1053 viewsjayessess

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:40 - Sep 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

They were trying to buy promotion. They failed every time... and in fact almost got out of the Championship the other way last season.

By no measure can you call Derby's strategy a success. They've been a running joke on TWTD (and I imagine many other forums) for years!

With the 6th biggest budget they bought the 6th best team in the league. That's value for money, isn't it?

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 17:03 - Sep 1 with 1034 viewsblueboyd

"The Project" one of the worst names that our club has become....
Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 17:20 - Sep 1 with 1012 viewsChurchman

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 17:03 - Sep 1 by blueboyd

"The Project" one of the worst names that our club has become....

As a term, The Project is an awful lot better than ‘cash strapped Ipswich’, ‘punching above their weight’ and many other depressing descriptions this club has deservedly attracted for the best part of 20 years.

We have attracted gales of laughter when anybody has bothered to notice what is now an established League 1 shambles of a club. I’ll take any term you like if it means some people are trying to turn things around and move ITFC forward.

You never know, one day we may even make the Suttons of this world laugh on the other side of their smug faces. I can hope.
Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 10:00 - Sep 2 with 920 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:37 - Sep 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

No.

I said I'd not seen a single person, which was true.

I also said "happy with bottom half" not midtable.

And you said "There's several just on one thread."

Which was false.

Funny you haven't come back on this Timmy.

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 11:20 - Sep 2 with 896 viewstimothyeo

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 10:00 - Sep 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

Funny you haven't come back on this Timmy.

Sorry, I didn't see you'd replied.

Regardless, I never said people were happy with bottom-half, I said midtable, you changed that to bottom-half.

The point is you'd seen no-one, I found people who were happy with midtable or with no level of expectation whatsoever beyond 'improvement'.
Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 12:54 - Sep 2 with 875 viewsElephantintheRoom

BACK THE PROJECT? Erm no - I quite liked it when there was a football club in Ipswich. Having a ridiculous franchise allegedly owned by 'three lions' currently having some differences about whether Tucson or Phoenix looks a better bet, but actually being run by a property fund in Ohio, fronted by a smug, opportunistic git in an open neck shirt is not really what Ipswich Town has been about for its entire existance. An entire rent-a-mob in blue shirts and some odds and sods in an overblown backroom staff, none of whom probably even knew where Ipswich is four months ago is not really that appealing as an image for a club.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:51 - Sep 2 with 826 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 11:20 - Sep 2 by timothyeo

Sorry, I didn't see you'd replied.

Regardless, I never said people were happy with bottom-half, I said midtable, you changed that to bottom-half.

The point is you'd seen no-one, I found people who were happy with midtable or with no level of expectation whatsoever beyond 'improvement'.

Originally you said "There's been posters happy with us finishing top half this season." That means anything down to the very middle of the table. And it means plural - posterS.

I said "I've not seen a single person happy with just finishing top half."

You then claimed you'd seen several who were happy with just finishing top half and linked to a thread as your evidence - in which ONE PERSON said they'd be happy with midtable.

So you were telling fibs. You've created an argument on the basis of one person and claimed it's a widely held view.

And you claimed in another thread you're not a troll!

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 13:45 - Sep 3 with 741 viewstimothyeo

Come off it TWTD!! 19 new players.. many of them just arrived.. a tough leagueï¿ on 16:51 - Sep 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

Originally you said "There's been posters happy with us finishing top half this season." That means anything down to the very middle of the table. And it means plural - posterS.

I said "I've not seen a single person happy with just finishing top half."

You then claimed you'd seen several who were happy with just finishing top half and linked to a thread as your evidence - in which ONE PERSON said they'd be happy with midtable.

So you were telling fibs. You've created an argument on the basis of one person and claimed it's a widely held view.

And you claimed in another thread you're not a troll!

Well no, I linked you to one thread as an example. It's not the only one. It's not my job to do your reading for you. If youre incapable of opening your eyes that's not my problem..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024