Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? 17:35 - Oct 16 with 4499 viewsCopfordBlue

If so, what are you basing it on?

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

We’re 5 points off the play-offs in October, and have yet to deliver more than on 12:50 - Oct 17 with 806 viewsjayessess

We’re 5 points off the play-offs in October, and have yet to deliver more than on 12:30 - Oct 17 by patrickswell

Just on your last point, I don’tthink Mark Robins would have been on anyone’s radar in 2017 and understandably so. At at time he was the epitome of a round the track Football League manager with no tangible achievements bar keeping Rotherham in the football league from a -17 point start.

He’s had a marvellous couple of years though especially given the difficulties Coventry have had to contend with.

As for the OP, I think we’re going to be far too inconsistent unfortunately unless the team can develop greater resilience, or unless Leam Richardson takes pity on Cook and jacks Wigan in in order to help his friend out.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2021 12:34]

Quite a lot of the good bosses in the EFL wouldn't have been on anyone's radar when they got hired for their current job.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 12:58 - Oct 17 with 792 viewsthebooks

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 00:02 - Oct 17 by jayessess

Funny thing, having watched football for the last 3 decades, it's this sort of thinking that strikes me as delusional. Football teams don't tend to have 2-year cycles, they don't usually have transition seasons and managers don't usually go from massive underachievement to overachievement simply because one season has passed to another.

Generally speaking, a managerial appointment works, at least a little, relatively quickly and after 15 games or so teams look more or less as good as they're going to.

That's reality the majority of time. Everything else is just fans bargaining with grief as things go wrong. Chances are from here, we get it right more or less in the next few games, or we'll bumble along at this level until Cook gets the chop. The rest is just wishful thinking.

I couldn’t agree more, especially at this level. It’s generally pretty simple — the teams with the best players tend to do better, while you get the odd breakthrough team who hit on some form or find a really good coach.

It’s very easy to overthink football, especially when you want to somehow (and for some reason) justify a particular appointment. Cook was awful last season, has been poor this and suddenly it’s all about changing the club culture, bedding players in and some sort of five year plan, when we’re playing Accrington, Cambridge United and Morecambe week in week out.

Anything apart from actually beating really, really moderate opposition.
Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 13:06 - Oct 17 with 761 viewsmylittletown

NO. We will do well to finish mid-table.

A lot of that must be down to Cook, but Ashton and the other Bristol City crew must also be held to account. They disappointed at Ashton Gate, backed by a huge budget, must be every chance that they will do the same here.
Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 14:35 - Oct 17 with 702 viewsgazzer1999

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 22:27 - Oct 16 by ArnieM

Anyone who thinks this new squad , new regime from top to bottom was going to secure promotion this season knows did all about football ! It will take the WHOLE of this season for this new set up to bed in - I suggest quite a few fans need to start dealing with it … and as someone else has said Paul Cook will not be sacked . The new owners are at least realistic in their goals for this season. I’m case people have forgotten ; this Club has had and is still having a complete overhaul . These changes “take time”.

So should we have made all these changes? or are you just an apologist for the crap that cook has served up since he got here with his mates. With an avatar like you have you should be demanding top 2 as a minimum, I guess at the end of the season you will move the goal posts again and say he needs more time. We have only been waiting since super Jim was here to get into the top 6 in the championship not the bloody 3rd division.
Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 14:38 - Oct 17 with 693 viewsbraveblue

Great track record. Only 5 points off play offs. Good squad if players. A good chance.
Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 14:46 - Oct 17 with 675 viewsHerbivore

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 14:35 - Oct 17 by gazzer1999

So should we have made all these changes? or are you just an apologist for the crap that cook has served up since he got here with his mates. With an avatar like you have you should be demanding top 2 as a minimum, I guess at the end of the season you will move the goal posts again and say he needs more time. We have only been waiting since super Jim was here to get into the top 6 in the championship not the bloody 3rd division.

Erm, we made the play offs in the Championship since Jim left and Jim never got us there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 14:52 - Oct 17 with 665 viewsHARRY10

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 14:38 - Oct 17 by braveblue

Great track record. Only 5 points off play offs. Good squad if players. A good chance.

and only 5 points off relegation

squad quality is reflected in that position
Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 14:55 - Oct 17 with 654 viewsHerbivore

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 14:52 - Oct 17 by HARRY10

You genuinely think the quality in this squad is only sufficient to be right in the middle of the relegation zone and the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 14:55 - Oct 17 with 652 viewssidmouthblue

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 14:52 - Oct 17 by HARRY10

Plenty of points to play for yet so far to early to get despondent
Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 15:01 - Oct 17 with 629 viewsmylittletown

The squad is far better than that. The coaching appears not to be.
Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 15:02 - Oct 17 with 622 viewsHARRY10

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 22:27 - Oct 16 by ArnieM

Anyone who thinks this new squad , new regime from top to bottom was going to secure promotion this season knows did all about football ! It will take the WHOLE of this season for this new set up to bed in - I suggest quite a few fans need to start dealing with it … and as someone else has said Paul Cook will not be sacked . The new owners are at least realistic in their goals for this season. I’m case people have forgotten ; this Club has had and is still having a complete overhaul . These changes “take time”.

What changes, off the field, that will take time, will eventually see us promoted

much as with on the field

what is it that after 15 or so competitive games the squad is still lacking ?

Perhaps it is Peter Reids input at Playford Road, or Morsy s need to gel. Could it be that the keeper we signed as first choice is not ready yet.

The pitch, perhaps when that is replaced, and all the light bulbs that don't work have also been replaced ?

The recruitment team have only just recruited the missing component, or the coaching staff are still getting used to coaching in a new (to them) training ground.

Or in the real world, where we are failing is on the pitch, via a dozen or more players who have been playing football for 15 years, as a minimum. What is it about playing for us that requires them a full season to be able to play to the level we were told was to be not only expected, but almost guaranteed ?
We’re 5 points off the play-offs in October, and have yet to deliver more than on 15:03 - Oct 17 with 612 viewsSwansea_Blue

We’re 5 points off the play-offs in October, and have yet to deliver more than on 12:50 - Oct 17 by jayessess

Quite a lot of the good bosses in the EFL wouldn't have been on anyone's radar when they got hired for their current job.

Yeah, you need an owner or leadership team with a good eye for a character that fits the club. We didn’t have that with Evans. It’s not easy mind. Plenty more managers fail than succeed.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 15:40 - Oct 17 with 562 viewsHARRY10

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 14:55 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

You genuinely think the quality in this squad is only sufficient to be right in the middle of the relegation zone and the top 6?

eh ?

Might be an idea to reply to what I actually said
Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 15:52 - Oct 17 with 552 viewsHerbivore

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 15:40 - Oct 17 by HARRY10

eh ?

Might be an idea to reply to what I actually said

I did. You pointed out that we're only 5 points above the relegation zone in response to someone saying we're 5 points from the top 6 and you added "squad quality is reflected in that position". Perhaps you meant something entirely different to what you posted, but that meaning isn't open to me.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2021 15:52]

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 15:55 - Oct 17 with 541 viewsHARRY10

Do any of you think Cook will get us promoted this season? on 14:55 - Oct 17 by sidmouthblue

Plenty of points to play for yet so far to early to get despondent

if it were only down to wishful thinking

as to 'despondency'

I am as tall as I will ever be, recognising that does not make me despondent.

perhaps though given that there are probably fewer years left in me than I have lived I could shake off this 'despondency' by telling my self there are loads more years left in the world to be lived

still, if the below helps

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024