Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? 08:02 - Jul 22 with 1375 viewsgiant_stow

And have you stayed overnight before a game with your charges? My boys club has a glammer friendly lined up with a relatively big northern club but no wheels man and too far to go there and back in 1 day with 10 8 year olds. Wonderring whether to come to the rescue or not.

Edit% the game would be played before the adult friendly in front of a proper crowd in a stadium with stands and everything!
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 8:05]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 08:56 - Jul 22 with 1275 viewsSteve_M

That seems excessive but that experience for the kids would be great. As a one-off probably worth the effort.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 09:00 - Jul 22 with 1264 viewschicoazul

Don’t all you metropolitan elitists subscribe to car sharing apps and whatnot. Or just rent a car. Very impressive though, he must be a good player.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 09:04 - Jul 22 with 1254 viewsartsbossbeard

Has your club got a Child Welfare Officer? If you've not done already, get him/her involved from the overnight stay angle as there's some clear FA guidelines (soz if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here).

We got offered a tour of Holland and a few friendlies organised a few years back but it was an absolute ball-ache from a CW angle with myself and only 1x other coach fully DBS'ed.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 09:14 - Jul 22 with 1219 viewsChiefXL

From living in SW Ipswich for a league game Smokey the furthest has been Bury St Edmunds (70 mile round trip) which I have to make a couple of times a season.

Furthest for a pre-season tournament was Theftord (83 miles), And what a cheating bunch of Norfolk swine they turned out to be....
Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 09:23 - Jul 22 with 1195 viewsgiant_stow

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 09:00 - Jul 22 by chicoazul

Don’t all you metropolitan elitists subscribe to car sharing apps and whatnot. Or just rent a car. Very impressive though, he must be a good player.

He's alright but tbh, the club he plays for is very lefty and very inclusive so everyone gets a game regardless of ability. So we always get beaten!!

More for the experience. Just seems too good a chance to go begging, but 5 hours each way min. Dilemmas!!!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 09:25 - Jul 22 with 1189 viewsgiant_stow

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 09:04 - Jul 22 by artsbossbeard

Has your club got a Child Welfare Officer? If you've not done already, get him/her involved from the overnight stay angle as there's some clear FA guidelines (soz if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here).

We got offered a tour of Holland and a few friendlies organised a few years back but it was an absolute ball-ache from a CW angle with myself and only 1x other coach fully DBS'ed.

That's what I'm worried about, but I'm about to get dbs checked so think that'll be alright.

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 09:27 - Jul 22 with 1179 viewsgiant_stow

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 09:14 - Jul 22 by ChiefXL

From living in SW Ipswich for a league game Smokey the furthest has been Bury St Edmunds (70 mile round trip) which I have to make a couple of times a season.

Furthest for a pre-season tournament was Theftord (83 miles), And what a cheating bunch of Norfolk swine they turned out to be....

I can only apologise for my cheating comrades!

Was the journey a nightmare with all those nippers?

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 09:31 - Jul 22 with 1148 viewsChiefXL

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 09:27 - Jul 22 by giant_stow

I can only apologise for my cheating comrades!

Was the journey a nightmare with all those nippers?

Not had to take that many TBF, the most has been four which was fine.
Login to get fewer ads

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 10:47 - Jul 22 with 1083 viewsclive_baker

Definitely do it if you can make it work. Get the club to hire a minibus? Some of my fondest memories of playing football as a child was the away matches and tournaments. We went up to Newcastle for a tournament at Ipswich (U14's I think) and it was great fun, staying in dorms. We took a few years up there and did pretty well. Matt Richards got b0llocked for breaking one of the slats in a bed by jumping on it.

Perhaps if you make a bit of a trip of it you could arrange another game for the following morning, so you can make sure everyone gets enough game time to justify the trip.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 10:53 - Jul 22 with 1070 viewsSwansea_Blue

As a one off that sounds awesome. Definitely worth making it work if you can. I can’t offer any advice though; it was years ago when I toured as a kid and the rules were pretty much non-existent back then I expect.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 12:25 - Jul 22 with 1037 viewsCrawfordsboot

For the sake of the 8 year olds I hope they modify the pitch size if they are playing in front of stands and before an adult game.
Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 12:59 - Jul 22 with 1009 viewsPlums

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 09:23 - Jul 22 by giant_stow

He's alright but tbh, the club he plays for is very lefty and very inclusive so everyone gets a game regardless of ability. So we always get beaten!!

More for the experience. Just seems too good a chance to go begging, but 5 hours each way min. Dilemmas!!!

You mean they do it properly? Nothing to do with being ‘lefty’.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 13:00 - Jul 22 with 1008 viewsgiant_stow

Thanks for the pep talk fellas - I'm gonna do my best to make it happen. Its a wonderful opportunity.

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 13:06 - Jul 22 with 993 viewsgiant_stow

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 12:59 - Jul 22 by Plums

You mean they do it properly? Nothing to do with being ‘lefty’.

No mr, I mean the whole ethos of the whole club (adult teams as well) is very left wing to the point where its quite well known in such circles. They put out a new away shirt a while back and its been bought all over the world (17,000 at the last count) by like-minded folk. Apparently, its particularly popular in northern Spain for some reason and the money received is buying their old ground back of a hated former owner.

We buy in totally to this - its why he's there and not in more competitive or commercially-minded club (there are loads locally).

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 13:13 - Jul 22 with 977 viewsPlums

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 13:06 - Jul 22 by giant_stow

No mr, I mean the whole ethos of the whole club (adult teams as well) is very left wing to the point where its quite well known in such circles. They put out a new away shirt a while back and its been bought all over the world (17,000 at the last count) by like-minded folk. Apparently, its particularly popular in northern Spain for some reason and the money received is buying their old ground back of a hated former owner.

We buy in totally to this - its why he's there and not in more competitive or commercially-minded club (there are loads locally).

Ah, fair enough, that’s quite a different perspective which wasn’t clear from your post. I just get tired of the mini-mourinhos I come across at grass roots e.g. those advertising for a U7 goalkeeper or experienced U9 strikers...
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 13:14]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 13:22 - Jul 22 with 963 viewsgiant_stow

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 13:13 - Jul 22 by Plums

Ah, fair enough, that’s quite a different perspective which wasn’t clear from your post. I just get tired of the mini-mourinhos I come across at grass roots e.g. those advertising for a U7 goalkeeper or experienced U9 strikers...
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 13:14]

Fair enough and agreed. This club really practices what they preach though. Totally open practice sessions, £3 quid donation for those who can afford it (to pay for the pitch time) and anyone who turns up for a game will get pitch time.

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 13:26 - Jul 22 with 955 viewsPlums

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 13:22 - Jul 22 by giant_stow

Fair enough and agreed. This club really practices what they preach though. Totally open practice sessions, £3 quid donation for those who can afford it (to pay for the pitch time) and anyone who turns up for a game will get pitch time.

Thanks, would be interested in a look; can you share the name? By DM if you don’t want to on here. I’m chair of a junior club with 31 teams and always looking to nick sustainable ideas.

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 13:31 - Jul 22 with 952 viewsgiant_stow

Kids footy coaches, how far have you travelled for a game? on 13:26 - Jul 22 by Plums

Thanks, would be interested in a look; can you share the name? By DM if you don’t want to on here. I’m chair of a junior club with 31 teams and always looking to nick sustainable ideas.

edit
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 13:37]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024