Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? 23:16 - Apr 16 with 2429 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It's symbolic of the existential angst of our age and the conflict between rampant individualism and our deeper unfulfilled spiritual yearning for community don't you know!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 00:04 - Apr 17 with 2363 viewswellhungphil

There's certainly a lot of nauseating merde-talk in both English & French news.

"Nous sommes tous ensemble, nous allons batailler comme pendant la guerre, pour l'avenir de la France et avec la force de notre peuple".

Levels of charabia gone into total overload.

I'm not sure where you got your quote from (I made mine up as a summary of the corn my ears have been slapped with today) but it sounds like something that cretin Owen Whats-His-Face from The Grauniad would writewhinge! Rampant Individualism? Jesus Lazarus Raising Christ, if more people would only think for themselves once in a while there'd be a loss less bull in the news.
How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 00:11 - Apr 17 with 2353 viewsGuthrum

There's a lot of TV rolling news hours to be filled and precious little new information. Not to mention little actual understanding by most of the presenters ("What caused the roof to go up so quickly?" indeed - wood, man, wood ... the framework is made of old, dry wood!). Comprehension of medieval ecclesiatical architecture had they none.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 00:12 - Apr 17 with 2345 viewsXYZ

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 00:04 - Apr 17 by wellhungphil

"Nous sommes tous ensemble, nous allons batailler comme pendant la guerre, pour l'avenir de la France et avec la force de notre peuple".

I'm not sure where you got your quote from (I made mine up as a summary of the corn my ears have been slapped with today) but it sounds like something that cretin Owen Whats-His-Face from The Grauniad would writewhinge! Rampant Individualism? Jesus Lazarus Raising Christ, if more people would only think for themselves once in a while there'd be a loss less bull in the news.

10/10 on the strawmanning index, Congrats.
How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 00:19 - Apr 17 with 2341 viewsbluejake78

What a waste....just think of the untoasted baguettes in Calais.
How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 01:36 - Apr 17 with 2293 viewswellhungphil

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 00:12 - Apr 17 by XYZ

10/10 on the strawmanning index, Congrats.

Thank you. I'm not sure strawmanning is the appropriate term in this case but a ten is a ten and I'll take it!

I do like to think I herald the end of the civilised world as succinctly as you herald the end of the alphabet.
How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 02:45 - Apr 17 with 2260 viewsXYZ

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 01:36 - Apr 17 by wellhungphil

Thank you. I'm not sure strawmanning is the appropriate term in this case but a ten is a ten and I'll take it!

I do like to think I herald the end of the civilised world as succinctly as you herald the end of the alphabet.

Apart from the totally unnecessary dig at Owen Jones and the G, I quite liked it.

Not as much as I liked the second para, though. That's a piece of linguistic beauty I stand back and applaud.
How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 07:34 - Apr 17 with 2115 viewslowhouseblue

i think it's symbolic of not ignoring the fire alarm the first time it goes off.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 07:43 - Apr 17 with 2089 viewsGeoffSentence

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 00:11 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

There's a lot of TV rolling news hours to be filled and precious little new information. Not to mention little actual understanding by most of the presenters ("What caused the roof to go up so quickly?" indeed - wood, man, wood ... the framework is made of old, dry wood!). Comprehension of medieval ecclesiatical architecture had they none.

Was it just wood though monsieur? I have learnt this morning that one of the reasons why York Minster went up in flames so vigorously back in '84 was centuries of accumulated dust.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 08:09 - Apr 17 with 2024 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I channelled my inner Owen to preçis something a french woman had come up with on R4. Simon Schama did himself proud too!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 08:22 - Apr 17 with 2004 viewsGuthrum

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 07:43 - Apr 17 by GeoffSentence

Was it just wood though monsieur? I have learnt this morning that one of the reasons why York Minster went up in flames so vigorously back in '84 was centuries of accumulated dust.

True. But then given most people don't dust behind the radiators in their own living rooms or behind the sofa (I've seen, I know), then the loft-space of a vast public building is unlikely to get done very often.

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 08:23 - Apr 17 with 1999 viewsWhymarkmariner

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 07:34 - Apr 17 by lowhouseblue

i think it's symbolic of not ignoring the fire alarm the first time it goes off.

Holy smoke, the church is on fire.
How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 08:24 - Apr 17 with 2001 viewsGuthrum

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 07:34 - Apr 17 by lowhouseblue

Don't think it's suggested they ignored the alarm at 18:20 (began evacuating the building, after all), just couldn't find any sign of fire at that stage.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 8:25]

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 09:12 - Apr 17 with 1931 viewsGuthrum

In reality, they got off quite lightly, considering. Yes, there's a couple of piles of rubble and burnt wood in the nave below where the spire used to be and where it crashed through, plus some holes in the ceiling. But the blaze did not take hold of the interior and the majority of the structural stonework held. Well done to the pompiers and to the original architects who were aware of the danger of fire.

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 09:16 - Apr 17 with 1912 viewsGeoffSentence

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 09:12 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

In reality, they got off quite lightly, considering. Yes, there's a couple of piles of rubble and burnt wood in the nave below where the spire used to be and where it crashed through, plus some holes in the ceiling. But the blaze did not take hold of the interior and the majority of the structural stonework held. Well done to the pompiers and to the original architects who were aware of the danger of fire.

Les Pompiers were, as ever, brave and professionial.

When faced with danger we should all follow their example and 'faire un pompier'.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 09:51 - Apr 17 with 1856 viewsGuthrum

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 09:16 - Apr 17 by GeoffSentence

Les Pompiers were, as ever, brave and professionial.

When faced with danger we should all follow their example and 'faire un pompier'.

Drone view from the outside. Gives a good idea of how the fan vaulting and the flying buttresses work to direct the loads.

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 09:54 - Apr 17 with 1853 viewsfactual_blue

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 08:22 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

True. But then given most people don't dust behind the radiators in their own living rooms or behind the sofa (I've seen, I know), then the loft-space of a vast public building is unlikely to get done very often.

Also the dust at somewhere like York Minister is Grade 1* listed, so can't be removed without planning permission.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How much guff can be sucked out of a fire? on 10:20 - Apr 17 with 1816 viewsRyorry

Tbh, I rather liked that politicians and other "bigwigs", as well as "normal" people, haha, got passionate, emotional and spiritual about something that is, after all, of incredible cultural, historic & spiritual significance going up in smoke. Makes a change from their usual compassionless (in the case of many politicians & big businessmen) grinding on about money, profit, drive for economic growth etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024