Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rooney- you tool 17:28 - Apr 5 with 2949 viewssparks

Not content with complaining that footballers had been used as guineau pigs (young fit men, playing a game and not mixing with the crowd, which ceased PRIOR to the rest of us ceasing pretty much normal work)

Now apparently "Derby striker Rooney says he is happy to offer support but asked: "Why are footballers suddenly the scapegoats?""

It seems he is worried that a 30% cut might financially ruin some players. ANYONE on 50k a week cannot be ruined by a 30% cut. Sell the ridiculous car, or the second house if you have to Wayne...

Entitled muppet.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Rooney- you tool on 23:02 - Apr 5 with 607 viewssparks

Rooney- you tool on 19:46 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

Classic populist nonsense, read his whole piece and tell me he’s actually wrong with what he has said.

He said lpayers were scapegoats. And that prem footballers could be finnacially ruined. Utter utter nonsense.

And a couple of weeks back he was bitching at being a "guinea pig" for taking far less risk and being paid a fortune for it, than the vast majority of the adult UK population diong their daily jobs.

MASSIVE weapon.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Rooney- you tool on 23:38 - Apr 5 with 588 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Rooney- you tool on 20:19 - Apr 5 by m14_blue

Fair enough, you make some good points but we’ll have to agree to disagree overall.

I understand the logic behind a points based system in principle but completely disagree with your interpretation of how it will be implemented by Priti Patel.

And once again, we have the inherent difficulty with the definition of ‘highly skilled’ and how it’s distinct from ‘highly paid’.

Oh i'm not sure we need to agree to disagree then. I'm not saying it will be implemented well haha. We may end up on same page there lets see.

I'm just saying salary criteria element can actually be a protective measure to ensure companies only employ where needed and not for cheap labour (wher all lose but company profit).

Highly skilled HAS to be distinct from highly paid 100%. I think we actually agree care workers etc ARE highly skilled so we need them in!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Rooney- you tool on 06:51 - Apr 6 with 544 viewsm14_blue

Rooney- you tool on 23:38 - Apr 5 by Terry_Nutkins

Oh i'm not sure we need to agree to disagree then. I'm not saying it will be implemented well haha. We may end up on same page there lets see.

I'm just saying salary criteria element can actually be a protective measure to ensure companies only employ where needed and not for cheap labour (wher all lose but company profit).

Highly skilled HAS to be distinct from highly paid 100%. I think we actually agree care workers etc ARE highly skilled so we need them in!

Let’s agree to agree 😀
Rooney- you tool on 07:39 - Apr 6 with 518 viewsitfcjoe

Rooney- you tool on 23:02 - Apr 5 by sparks

He said lpayers were scapegoats. And that prem footballers could be finnacially ruined. Utter utter nonsense.

And a couple of weeks back he was bitching at being a "guinea pig" for taking far less risk and being paid a fortune for it, than the vast majority of the adult UK population diong their daily jobs.

MASSIVE weapon.

They are being made to be scapegoats, what other industry is being called out by the health secretary?

Not all PL footballers earn £50k ok long term contracts, even in our own squad someone like Luke Garbutt is a PL footballer earning £25k a week, which is likely going to drop to £5-6k in the summer as he drops into L1. Sure there are plenty earning less who will also be being released and ripping down the leagues in the summer.

Or players earning £15k a week at Norwich whose wages are going to be cut in half when they get relegated in the summer? These players will have mortgages and commitments and also a retirement age of 35 and a long life to live afterwards.

Footballers, as always, are an easy target for the media and powers that be because people like you will lap it up

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Rooney- you tool on 07:50 - Apr 6 with 500 viewssparks

Rooney- you tool on 07:39 - Apr 6 by itfcjoe

They are being made to be scapegoats, what other industry is being called out by the health secretary?

Not all PL footballers earn £50k ok long term contracts, even in our own squad someone like Luke Garbutt is a PL footballer earning £25k a week, which is likely going to drop to £5-6k in the summer as he drops into L1. Sure there are plenty earning less who will also be being released and ripping down the leagues in the summer.

Or players earning £15k a week at Norwich whose wages are going to be cut in half when they get relegated in the summer? These players will have mortgages and commitments and also a retirement age of 35 and a long life to live afterwards.

Footballers, as always, are an easy target for the media and powers that be because people like you will lap it up

No- they are not. Noone is blaming them for the situation in any way. Which is what a scapegoat would be. People are just expressing reasonable distaste at clubs furloughing staff whilst paying people tens of thousands a week in full. £25k a week is an enormous salary for a fairly average footballer in a reserve team who has never made it. A cut is not going to financially cripple someone on that wage.

If there is a mortgage it is unlikely to be an issue. 1- there are mortgage holidays. 2- a mortgage of 2.5m would be 10k a month against his current 45k a month salary.

Of course there may be the odd outlier- and you simply make a cutoff below whihch it doesnt apply.

But the idea that prem footballers will be financially ruined- whilst half the nation are facing deferrals and cuts / furlough etc is absurd.

Rooney- you tool on 08:03 - Apr 6 with 490 viewsDanTheMan

Rooney- you tool on 07:50 - Apr 6 by sparks

No- they are not. Noone is blaming them for the situation in any way. Which is what a scapegoat would be. People are just expressing reasonable distaste at clubs furloughing staff whilst paying people tens of thousands a week in full. £25k a week is an enormous salary for a fairly average footballer in a reserve team who has never made it. A cut is not going to financially cripple someone on that wage.

If there is a mortgage it is unlikely to be an issue. 1- there are mortgage holidays. 2- a mortgage of 2.5m would be 10k a month against his current 45k a month salary.

Of course there may be the odd outlier- and you simply make a cutoff below whihch it doesnt apply.

But the idea that prem footballers will be financially ruined- whilst half the nation are facing deferrals and cuts / furlough etc is absurd.

"No- they are not. Noone is blaming them for the situation in any way. Which is what a scapegoat would be. People are just expressing reasonable distaste at clubs furloughing staff whilst paying people tens of thousands a week in full"

That's not the players fault though, the clubs have decided to do that.

But honestly this whole thing has been a mess from start to finish.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Rooney- you tool on 08:06 - Apr 6 with 481 viewssparks

Rooney- you tool on 08:03 - Apr 6 by DanTheMan

"No- they are not. Noone is blaming them for the situation in any way. Which is what a scapegoat would be. People are just expressing reasonable distaste at clubs furloughing staff whilst paying people tens of thousands a week in full"

That's not the players fault though, the clubs have decided to do that.

But honestly this whole thing has been a mess from start to finish.

No one said it was the players fault.

Though if I had been one of them seeing non playing folk furloughs I would already have taken steps voluntarily. ..

Rooney- you tool on 08:07 - Apr 6 with 480 viewsitfcjoe

The players aren’t the ones deciding what to do with staff, who is making the furlough decisions?

The collective wealth of the 20 PL owners is well over £100bn, these are the ones electing to furlough staff, why is the finger not pointing at them?

Login to get fewer ads

Rooney- you tool on 08:08 - Apr 6 with 476 viewsDanTheMan

Rooney- you tool on 08:06 - Apr 6 by sparks

No one said it was the players fault.

Though if I had been one of them seeing non playing folk furloughs I would already have taken steps voluntarily. ..

There has been criticism, albeit mainly through social media. But I imagine if you're one of the players and you see that, it is going to grate.

It sounds like there were discussions going on behind closed doors about what they could do but that's all been wiped now they've gone for a blanket approach.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Rooney- you tool on 08:09 - Apr 6 with 472 viewssparks

Rooney- you tool on 08:07 - Apr 6 by itfcjoe

The players aren’t the ones deciding what to do with staff, who is making the furlough decisions?

The collective wealth of the 20 PL owners is well over £100bn, these are the ones electing to furlough staff, why is the finger not pointing at them?

It is. But they are not coming out saying its a disgrace.

They are also running businesses with no income and a massive player wage bill. ..

Rooney- you tool on 08:14 - Apr 6 with 465 viewsitfcjoe

Rooney- you tool on 08:09 - Apr 6 by sparks

It is. But they are not coming out saying its a disgrace.

They are also running businesses with no income and a massive player wage bill. ..

They are not having the Health Secretary point the finger at them in the daily press conference, and continue to do so in the press.

These are, in the majority, offshore billionaires with massive funds and we are as a country letting these decision makers off the hook and pointing the finger at other PAYE employees.

Footballers are an easy target, as always - plenty of industries so far, far less

Rooney- you tool on 08:29 - Apr 6 with 439 viewssparks

Rooney- you tool on 08:14 - Apr 6 by itfcjoe

They are not having the Health Secretary point the finger at them in the daily press conference, and continue to do so in the press.

These are, in the majority, offshore billionaires with massive funds and we are as a country letting these decision makers off the hook and pointing the finger at other PAYE employees.

Footballers are an easy target, as always - plenty of industries so far, far less

He was asked the question- which has been fairly publically debated for the last fortnight. Famous people in the limelight, are inevitably more noticeable issues than those who sit quietly in the background.

Especially when multi multi millionaires come4 out and claim that it is a "disgrace"that people are questioning their salaries at a time when non playing staff are being furloughed...

Rooney- you tool on 08:39 - Apr 6 with 429 viewshampstead_blue

Rooney- you tool on 18:33 - Apr 5 by azuremerlangus

I should imagine players have lots of their income tied up and committed to various investments and business schemes rather just being lumped into a building society.

if that is the case then they have been poorly advised.

A simple asset allocation model for High Net Worth Individuals will show you how much cash and liquidity they ought to be holding.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Rooney- you tool on 08:52 - Apr 6 with 418 viewsitfcjoe

Rooney- you tool on 08:29 - Apr 6 by sparks

He was asked the question- which has been fairly publically debated for the last fortnight. Famous people in the limelight, are inevitably more noticeable issues than those who sit quietly in the background.

Especially when multi multi millionaires come4 out and claim that it is a "disgrace"that people are questioning their salaries at a time when non playing staff are being furloughed...

Rooney isn't a PL footballer, so his salary isn't being debated.

Also, this is often how representation works - it needs the high profile player to come out and go after it.

I'm sure if Chris Basham (£11k a week) put it in his column it would have got just as much traction.

Also Hancock has continued to go on about PL footballers in his column in the paper. Why not someone like Lewis Hamilton? A non dom who earns a fortune and pays next to no tax in the UK?

Rooney- you tool on 09:02 - Apr 6 with 405 viewsitfcjoe

Rooney- you tool on 08:39 - Apr 6 by hampstead_blue

if that is the case then they have been poorly advised.

A simple asset allocation model for High Net Worth Individuals will show you how much cash and liquidity they ought to be holding.

Circumstances change though, I know of a case of a foremer ITFC player who my wife sorted mortgage off.

He'd recently divorced, recently dropped down from PL and a PL contract, in his early 30s and ended up requiring a whacking great mortgage for himself as couldn't run it past 35.

A significant amount of footballers go bankrupt when they finish playing, and a huge amount are due to a divorce - people live to their means and have short careers.There obviously is the very top end of players, that everyone seems to think covers everyone.

I'm sure if clubs and players spoke they could get rid of the ridiculous situation where they are furloughing people on a few hundred quid a week - but in example I gave earlier - if I was a Spurs player and the owner is worth $5bn, the club has just announced an £87m profit and generally their players are the lower paid of the elite clubs I could see why asking for money back is a bit of a joke when the club can clearly afford it anyway.

Compare a football club, and easyjet - Easyjet about to pay best part of £200m in dividends and want a Government hand out - who do people go after there? The board, because they are the decision makers - why is it different in football?

Rooney- you tool on 09:06 - Apr 6 with 400 viewsjonbull88

It’s every easy to sit and complain or spend someone else’s wages. At the end of the day it’s up to each person to be concerned about their wages, no one else. A lot of them earn a lot yes, However most pay tax each year that most of will be lucky to pay in our lifetime.

The idea that these people have ££££ just sitting there in a bank (whilst it may happen) is silly. I bet many of them will likely have investments. Also you don’t know about their personal life, they might be supporting a former partner and their children. A friend of mine is currently doing just this and I’ve seen how loss of income is affecting him.
Rooney- you tool on 11:36 - Apr 6 with 350 viewssparks

Rooney- you tool on 09:06 - Apr 6 by jonbull88

It’s every easy to sit and complain or spend someone else’s wages. At the end of the day it’s up to each person to be concerned about their wages, no one else. A lot of them earn a lot yes, However most pay tax each year that most of will be lucky to pay in our lifetime.

The idea that these people have ££££ just sitting there in a bank (whilst it may happen) is silly. I bet many of them will likely have investments. Also you don’t know about their personal life, they might be supporting a former partner and their children. A friend of mine is currently doing just this and I’ve seen how loss of income is affecting him.

On £45k a month net, none of that would mean that a 30% reduction or deferral would result in financial ruin.

20% from workers furloughed on already low wages, however...

Rooney- you tool on 16:05 - Apr 6 with 301 viewsericclacton

Rain Woombie.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024