Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car insurance Rip Off 10:38 - Aug 12 with 2558 viewsGlasgowBlue

I have twin daughters of 19, both of whom drive.

Daughter A is insured with Churchill. Daughter A had a slight bump in a car park, was at fault and has a claim against her.

Daughter B’s insurance was due for renewal a week or two ago. The Mrs shopped around and got a great deal with Churchill. Today we get a letter saying that they have cancelled daughter B’s insurance as of 12 noon due to us not declaring a bump she had in a car park.

An hour into the call Churchill have realised their mistake and somebody in the office had inputed the wrong twin’s details into the system. However, the deal my wife got for daughter B is no longer available and to set up a new policy will be seven hundred quid dearer. We are welcome to shop around elsewhere or pay the higher premium today and put in a claim for compensation, which we are advised may or may not be successful.

The Mrs will not pass me the phone knowing I will press the nuclear button and call them all the thieving c****s under the Sun. So I’m ranting here.

Does anyone have any experience with the insurance ombudsman?
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 10:39]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Car insurance Rip Off on 10:41 - Aug 12 with 2008 viewsBobsthename

Oh Yes.🐶
Car insurance Rip Off on 10:42 - Aug 12 with 1999 viewsclive_baker

That's a p1ss take, you would've thought they should honour the price given it was their cock up.

Can't help but feel this might've been avoidable though, had you given your daughters more distinct names than 'daughter A' and 'daughter B'.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Car insurance Rip Off on 10:48 - Aug 12 with 1962 viewsmylittletown

No but I had a serious issue with Aviva over insuring an electric car - they told me, after they had agreed to insure me, that my no claims discount would not apply, making a difference of £900.
I threatened them with the ombudsman, and they backed down straightaway, insured me until the end of the month, to give me time to find an alternative, and gave me a 90% refund.
Car insurance Rip Off on 10:55 - Aug 12 with 1918 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The insurance ombudsman are very good and quite harsh on insurance companies. You will however have to make a formal complaint with Churchill first and get their final response

I’d give it one more try with Churchill personally, pointing out that they cancelled the policy in error and should be reinstating it (or providing a replacement policy at the same price). Make clear that you want this treated as a complaint

If they don’t immediately budge you don’t have much choice but to arrange cover wherever is now cheapest for your daughter and to subsequently raise a complaint with the Ombudsman if Churchill don’t respond to the complaint favourably. When raising it helps to be clear as to what resolution you are looking for - presumably if it gets that far it would be the amount you’re out of pocket for their c*ck up plus some hefty distress and inconvenience compensation

Good luck

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Car insurance Rip Off on 11:03 - Aug 12 with 1855 viewsTonytown

Car insurance Rip Off on 10:55 - Aug 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The insurance ombudsman are very good and quite harsh on insurance companies. You will however have to make a formal complaint with Churchill first and get their final response

I’d give it one more try with Churchill personally, pointing out that they cancelled the policy in error and should be reinstating it (or providing a replacement policy at the same price). Make clear that you want this treated as a complaint

If they don’t immediately budge you don’t have much choice but to arrange cover wherever is now cheapest for your daughter and to subsequently raise a complaint with the Ombudsman if Churchill don’t respond to the complaint favourably. When raising it helps to be clear as to what resolution you are looking for - presumably if it gets that far it would be the amount you’re out of pocket for their c*ck up plus some hefty distress and inconvenience compensation

Good luck

You are unlikely to get much of a distress and inconvenience payment, maybe £50 or £100.

The other points in this reply are well made.

Set out clearly what has happened in an e mail and mark it as a complaint.
Car insurance Rip Off on 11:06 - Aug 12 with 1835 viewsZXBlue

Car insurance Rip Off on 11:03 - Aug 12 by Tonytown

You are unlikely to get much of a distress and inconvenience payment, maybe £50 or £100.

You do, however, have a contract which they appear to be in breach of. Assuming they had taken payment and incpeted the policy.
Car insurance Rip Off on 11:09 - Aug 12 with 1810 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Car insurance Rip Off on 11:03 - Aug 12 by Tonytown

Incorrect, the FOS regularly award higher amounts than that on insurance cases, and the insurer incorrectly cancelling a mandatory policy will fall on the higher side. I reckon £250, on top of any actual out of pocket amount is quite feasible

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Car insurance Rip Off on 11:18 - Aug 12 with 1768 viewsTrequartista

I think, but am not certain, that if it goes to an Ombudsman, the insurance company have to foot the bill (a few hundred quid) of an Ombudsman case whether they win or lose, so threatening to take it to the Ombudsman often makes them back down.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

Car insurance Rip Off on 11:43 - Aug 12 with 1661 viewsPinewoodblue

First get alternative quotes, and try a local broker. Tell them why you are seeking quotes, a good broker will see an opportunity to secure business from not just your daughter but the rest of the family, they will go the extra mile.

Then give Churchill an opportunity to do the right thing. If you don’t secure a satisfactory outcome tell them you will Make a formal complaint and take it to the ombudsman if necessary.

If they are only making a 90% refund they are making a charge for cancelling the policy. Tell them you will be looking for the difference between the original quote and the new policy, the refund of any admin charges plus a minimum of £100, or more if they delay the process, to cover your time and general inconvenience.

If you keep your cool, and get to the right person they will honour the original quote.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Car insurance Rip Off on 11:45 - Aug 12 with 1650 viewsSitfcB

As it was their mistake they should honour it!

I had a problem with a renewal once when I was changing vehicles, I had to cancel the policy on the one I was selling at a cost of £25 but they said if I took out the new policy with them they’d refund it once done.

Got the new car and turned out they were the cheapest anyway so went back to them, said about the refund and they said that’s not something that can be done, I told them I was told it was happening etc so I told them to listen to the calls etc and investigate, which they did and they honoured it.

Obviously a little bit different to your situation and a little amount of money but it’s worth trying to push them, inform them you will go to the ombudsman and ask them to investigate it. Assume the original quote was given online not over the phone?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Car insurance Rip Off on 12:15 - Aug 12 with 1552 viewsGlasgowBlue

Thanks for the feedback. We have a call with the complaints and investigations dept on Tuesday.

Meanwhile Mrs GB is still wasting her day trying to get my daughter insured.

Iron Lion Zion

Car insurance Rip Off on 13:17 - Aug 12 with 1423 viewsIpswichKnight

That’s Churchill! I noticed they once charged me £350+ via a direct debit which was about the same as my then car insurance which I paid a few months back. I called them to ask why they’d taken money without contacting me only for them to say my car had been involved in accident to which I asked where as it was news to me, they couldn’t tell me where ( convenient) this happened told them I’d dispute the transaction with my bank got put on hold for 10 minutes for them to come back to say they would not now be taking the money. I happily told them they were thieves and I’d get insurance elsewhere next year.
Car insurance Rip Off on 13:21 - Aug 12 with 1396 viewsPlums

Have you threatened them with the Information Commissioner? Your case sounds like a clear breach of GDPR which will have more than their underwriting department hot under the collar.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 13:24]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Car insurance Rip Off on 13:27 - Aug 12 with 1367 viewsGlasgowBlue

Car insurance Rip Off on 13:21 - Aug 12 by Plums

Have you threatened them with the Information Commissioner? Your case sounds like a clear breach of GDPR which will have more than their underwriting department hot under the collar.

That's a fantastic point that I hadn't thought of.

Iron Lion Zion

Car insurance Rip Off on 16:15 - Aug 12 with 1224 viewsgreyhound

Car insurance Rip Off on 13:21 - Aug 12 by Plums

Came here to add this. Massive gdpr breach on their part. Just because girls are sisters doesn't allow them any leeway. Would push buttons hard. I would expect reinstatement plus a decent compensation level. If done right the insurer would have to report that breach I believe so there is challenge available to you.
Car insurance Rip Off on 16:21 - Aug 12 with 1204 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Good luck with this. You deserve compensation to the full difference in what you pay with another insurer and some.

I am not sure how relevant it is but we use Admiral Multicar for our insurance. They are the first insurer we have used where the automatic renewal premium is cheaper every year.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Car insurance Rip Off on 16:22 - Aug 12 with 1202 viewsDeano69

Car insurance Rip Off on 10:42 - Aug 12 by clive_baker

That's a p1ss take, you would've thought they should honour the price given it was their cock up.

Can't help but feel this might've been avoidable though, had you given your daughters more distinct names than 'daughter A' and 'daughter B'.

Child 1 and Child 2 is more generic and distinctive!

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Car insurance Rip Off on 16:23 - Aug 12 with 1193 viewsDeano69

Car insurance Rip Off on 11:06 - Aug 12 by ZXBlue

You do, however, have a contract which they appear to be in breach of. Assuming they had taken payment and incpeted the policy.

And a GDPR issue with using incorrect personal details. Was any documentation sent?

Car insurance Rip Off on 16:26 - Aug 12 with 1164 viewsDeano69

Car insurance Rip Off on 16:23 - Aug 12 by Deano69

And a GDPR issue with using incorrect personal details. Was any documentation sent?

Apologies, just seen someone else mention the same.

Car insurance Rip Off on 16:27 - Aug 12 with 1163 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

That is shocking.

Shocking that anyone would insure a 19 year old, especially a girl. Did she prang it while parking?!

This joke was brought to you by the 1950's.

No, jokes aside, that is shocking. All insurance companies are cunits.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Car insurance Rip Off on 16:27 - Aug 12 with 1162 viewsmylittletown

Car insurance Rip Off on 16:21 - Aug 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Good luck with this. You deserve compensation to the full difference in what you pay with another insurer and some.

I am not sure how relevant it is but we use Admiral Multicar for our insurance. They are the first insurer we have used where the automatic renewal premium is cheaper every year.

Have you made a claim on Admiral Multicar?
I did and they were a total nightmare. They did everything they possibly could to make things difficult and delay. If I had been hard up, or if I badly needed the car for work etc, I would have been struggling.
I went back to a proper insurer, the next renewal.
Car insurance Rip Off on 16:30 - Aug 12 with 1135 viewsmylittletown

Car insurance Rip Off on 16:27 - Aug 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

That is shocking.

Shocking that anyone would insure a 19 year old, especially a girl. Did she prang it while parking?!

This joke was brought to you by the 1950's.

No, jokes aside, that is shocking. All insurance companies are cunits.

Some are, some are not.
Car insurance Rip Off on 17:01 - Aug 12 with 1067 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Car insurance Rip Off on 16:30 - Aug 12 by mylittletown

Some are, some are not.

Feel free to tell us the ones who are not.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Car insurance Rip Off on 17:13 - Aug 12 with 1051 viewsjontysnut

Car insurance Rip Off on 10:55 - Aug 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Good luck

We had grief with Hastings re daughter. She had a collision a year ago today. They alleged fault, we countered. Loads of delays. We complained twice about process and have had 2 payouts through the complaints procedure. Finally agreed on 50/50 as the best outcome without going to court but other side still arguing a year on! Hastings are useless but their complaints team were pretty good. They must get lots of practice.
Car insurance Rip Off on 17:22 - Aug 12 with 1035 viewsMeadowlark

I cannot help, but I can sympathise.
A few years ago my son who shares my first and last name, and at that time the same address, but not of course the same birthdate, had cause to make a claim due to a minor accident.
For years afterwards, I had to explain, argue and moan that it was not me, when dealing with insurance companies who kept telling me I was not being truthful and was not declaring a claim "I" had made.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024