Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unprovoked Attack 09:08 - Nov 23 with 23298 viewsGodalmingOwl

Away fan, been going for 30+ years and seen Wednesday at Portman Road best part of 20 occasions.
Last night my father was attacked, totally unprovoked. He was punched a few times down an alley behind your main home end (residential on one side) that leads to a main road.

We hadn't been drinking (wish I had, might have made our turgid performance marginally more bearable). We weren't wearing colours. We don't have northern/Sheffield accents. We weren't taking any joy afterwards from our injury time equaliser, more lamenting our listless display, devoid of ambition. There wasn't even a brush past or a treading on toes, or a conversation as we were walking down. Even if any of this were the case, so what?

This guy (early 30s), decided to pick on my Dad for no reason at all. My Dad is 61. The guy was clearly drunk (possibly on something else, too?). My Dad almost certainly has a broken nose. Against my better judgement (or may be it was my better judgement?) I didn't hit the guy and told my Dad to run and get away from it.

My point is who the hell does this? We could have easily been Ipswich fans. You guys rightly have a reputation for being a friendly, welcoming down to earth bunch. If you saw anything, please let me know.
Unprovoked Attack on 12:06 - Nov 23 with 5754 viewsblue_oyster

Unprovoked Attack on 11:59 - Nov 23 by hype313

My uncle is a local plod.

So is this a different attack from the Alderman Road one reported on the Evening Star website? The descriptions don't match.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

on 12:07 - Nov 23 with 5735 views_

Unprovoked Attack on 12:06 - Nov 23 by blue_oyster

So is this a different attack from the Alderman Road one reported on the Evening Star website? The descriptions don't match.

Unprovoked Attack on 12:08 - Nov 23 with 5732 viewshype313

Unprovoked Attack on 12:06 - Nov 23 by blue_oyster

Same one I'm led to believe.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Unprovoked Attack on 12:25 - Nov 23 with 5678 viewsRyorry

So sorry to hear this Godalming Owl.

I hope the thug was nothing to do with ITFC - we rightly have a reputation for being friendly, but I suppose like any other cross-section of society, there'll always be the odd nutter or two around to let everyone else down.

Very best wishes to your Dad for a speedy recovery, and thanks for coming on here to report the incident - I hope it helps to catch the perpetrator, and maybe even create friendships to be followed up next season - if we're in the same division

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Unprovoked Attack on 12:57 - Nov 23 with 5609 viewsswede

I am so very sorry to hear this GodalmingOwl and hope that your Dad has a speedy and full recovery.
This attack is in the local news this morning and I hope that the police find the thug and throw the book at him. Unfortunately the Alderman Road area has a bit of a rough reputation and it appears from reports that this bloke had been threatening other people too. I would not feel comfortable walking through there at all, however, there is no way that you would know that and is no excuse for what happened.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/elderly-man-assaulted-in-alderman-road-park-after-ips

As others have said, we have long prided ourselves on being a friendly, family orientated club, but sadly there are thugs and unsociable wasters in all places. I hope that this awful incident will not deter you from coming to Ipswich again.
Best wishes to you both.
Unprovoked Attack on 13:00 - Nov 23 with 5600 viewsMaySixth

Unlucky

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Unprovoked Attack on 13:23 - Nov 23 with 5529 viewsSwansea_Blue

That sucks. Hope your father makes a speedy recovery.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Unprovoked Attack on 13:39 - Nov 23 with 5479 viewsSuperfrans

This is disgusting and extremely upsetting to hear (though not as upsetting as it was for your dad, obviously).

It won't make him feel better, but it seems clear that this wasn't an "away fan attacked by home fan" scenario, it appears to be totally unrelated to club affiliation. But I hope your dad is quickly on the road to recovery.

I hope you'll send him the best wishes of everyone who has posted on here. This is really not what we are about as a club.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

Unprovoked Attack on 14:20 - Nov 23 with 5409 viewsDebsyAngel

What a dreadful thing to happen. Speedy recovery to your Dad and hope this does not put you off coming to Portman Road again.

I hope this scumbag is caught - sadly this town is not as safe as it used to be, and we need more Police and stronger sentencing for the people who do this.
Unprovoked Attack on 14:21 - Nov 23 with 5399 viewsKieran_Knows

Unprovoked Attack on 13:00 - Nov 23 by MaySixth

Unlucky

Really?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

on 14:37 - Nov 23 with 5359 views_

Unprovoked Attack on 13:00 - Nov 23 by MaySixth

Unlucky

Unprovoked Attack on 14:41 - Nov 23 with 5353 viewsPendejo

Morons do this, the simple answer to the question that starts your last paragraph.

Here's hoping that this does not have any long term detrimental affects and that the culprit is caught and dealt with.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Unprovoked Attack on 14:45 - Nov 23 with 5324 viewsblue_oyster

Unprovoked Attack on 12:08 - Nov 23 by hype313

Same one I'm led to believe.

thanks

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Unprovoked Attack on 14:49 - Nov 23 with 5320 viewsGodalmingOwl

Unprovoked Attack on 14:41 - Nov 23 by Pendejo

Morons do this, the simple answer to the question that starts your last paragraph.

Here's hoping that this does not have any long term detrimental affects and that the culprit is caught and dealt with.

Just wanted to say Thank You for all your kind comments. My Dad will be ok, just a horrible experience and hopefully they'll catch the guy. From the sounds of it, not an Ipswich fan. Even if was, wouldn't change my view of your club or you, the fans.

Won't stop me going to Portman Road, always enjoy a visit there (even if our record at yours isn't spectacular). You're a very good bunch. Good luck for the rest of the season (apart from at Hillsborough), let's make the next fixture between us at PR a Prem one. Been too long.
Unprovoked Attack on 16:06 - Nov 23 with 5169 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Sorry to hear this. How did he not get nicked if it he's walking around whacking OAPs at FT?

Or are all Town home games usually police free these days?

I know everyone likes to think it's a nice little market town but really post 2000 a lot of Ipswich is full of drugged up scumbags behaving like this. Massively gone downhill, I hear it's not got much better in the last few years
Unprovoked Attack on 16:11 - Nov 23 with 5137 viewshype313

Unprovoked Attack on 16:06 - Nov 23 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Sorry to hear this. How did he not get nicked if it he's walking around whacking OAPs at FT?

Or are all Town home games usually police free these days?

I know everyone likes to think it's a nice little market town but really post 2000 a lot of Ipswich is full of drugged up scumbags behaving like this. Massively gone downhill, I hear it's not got much better in the last few years

Didn't see much police presence last night, but it's not like there are random nutters attacking football fans every few weeks.

Thankfully it was a one off.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Unprovoked Attack on 16:17 - Nov 23 with 5126 viewsbrogansnose

This is an appalling thing to have happened. I hope your Dad recovers fully and wish you both all the best.
Unprovoked Attack on 16:33 - Nov 23 with 5093 viewsGunnsAirkick

Hope your Dad makes a quick recovery and they find this guy. He sounds like a nasty piece of work.
Unprovoked Attack on 21:39 - Nov 23 with 4857 viewsm14_blue

Unprovoked Attack on 14:49 - Nov 23 by GodalmingOwl

Just wanted to say Thank You for all your kind comments. My Dad will be ok, just a horrible experience and hopefully they'll catch the guy. From the sounds of it, not an Ipswich fan. Even if was, wouldn't change my view of your club or you, the fans.

Won't stop me going to Portman Road, always enjoy a visit there (even if our record at yours isn't spectacular). You're a very good bunch. Good luck for the rest of the season (apart from at Hillsborough), let's make the next fixture between us at PR a Prem one. Been too long.

Very decent of you.

I'm sure there'll be no shortage of Town fans (myself included) waiting to buy you and your old man a pint next time you're here.

Proper club Wednesday.
Unprovoked Attack on 23:41 - Nov 23 with 4755 viewsBrixtonBlue

Unprovoked Attack on 09:39 - Nov 23 by J2BLUE

Sorry to you and your dad. Among the vast majority of Town fans our reputation as a friendly club is something we value but unfortunately, like all clubs, we have our share of idiots. I hope the idiot responsible is caught quickly and punished accordingly.

"unfortunately, like all clubs, we have our share of idiots"

There is nothing to suggest this horrible incident is any way related to our club, so please don't suggest it is.

I'm sorry, but lazy comments like this making me effing angry. This is not, from reading the thread, an ITFC incident. It's a nutter who needs help and/or prosecution.

Apologies to the OP but in my experience ITFC fans just don't do this. Particularly for no reason.

I echo the wishes for a speedy recovery for your dad.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

on 23:44 - Nov 23 with 4742 views_

Unprovoked Attack on 23:41 - Nov 23 by BrixtonBlue

There is nothing to suggest this horrible incident is any way related to our club, so please don't suggest it is.

I'm sorry, but lazy comments like this making me effing angry. This is not, from reading the thread, an ITFC incident. It's a nutter who needs help and/or prosecution.

Apologies to the OP but in my experience ITFC fans just don't do this. Particularly for no reason.

Unprovoked Attack on 23:45 - Nov 23 with 4745 viewsjeera

Unprovoked Attack on 23:41 - Nov 23 by BrixtonBlue

"There is nothing to suggest this horrible incident is any way related to our club"

As the gentleman from SWFC has already acknowledged.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Unprovoked Attack on 00:18 - Nov 24 with 4699 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 23:44 - Nov 23 by _

But if the incident isn't connected to the club the point is moot.

Comments like this suggest it is something to do with our great club.

I've also down arrowed your unnecessary childish posts on what is a serious incident. You don't do yourself any favours at times, IMO. I doubt if it was your own father assaulted you'd be making stupid glib posts.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Unprovoked Attack on 00:20 - Nov 24 with 4695 viewsBrixtonBlue

Unprovoked Attack on 23:45 - Nov 23 by jeera

"There is nothing to suggest this horrible incident is any way related to our club"

As the gentleman from SWFC has already acknowledged.

So I reiterate, why did J2 post "unfortunately, like all clubs, we have our share of idiots"?
[Post edited 24 Nov 2017 0:21]

Unprovoked Attack on 00:22 - Nov 24 with 4682 viewsjeera

Unprovoked Attack on 00:20 - Nov 24 by BrixtonBlue

So I reiterate, why did J2 post "unfortunately, like all clubs, we have our share of idiots"?
[Post edited 24 Nov 2017 0:21]

Does it really matter?

The thread's done.

The fine people of the board have offered their best regards and the chap has decently responded.

It's done. Everyone's happy.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024