Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Complete squad rebuild each year? 00:09 - Aug 6 with 657 viewsgreyhound

It's looking more likely that by the end of this window we may see 8-10 new faces in the dressing room. That number could be reduced significantly if medicals fail or deals fall through.

On the flip side were not retaining fresher faces either. Compare this to 5 seasons ago where everyone was leaving at the end of contracts on a free. We can maybe get some simple insight into direction that hurst has been given from this. I never expected waggy, garner, and Webster as well as knudsen all to go in one window but the talk is there that it may well happen.

And while I was initially sceptical about this approach, taking time to look back shows that our best signings based on profit and performance may have all come from lower leagues over time or the peripherys of teams where they are not deemed to be at the right level. In my mind that's as good as a lower league signing.

Going forward I wouldn't mind betting that Marcus Evans has said that the money will always be there to spend but hurst and doig have got to create there own wealth. A small injection each season to kick start this process with the rest of the business done on quick profits. In football you have to strike while the irons hot. We got offered 7m for mcgoldrick, he never added that amount of value to the team after the date of that bid and we lost him on a free. He's still a good player, sheff u will be delighted. One poor season from waghorn could turn 5m into 1m quite easily on an expiring contract.

For me if the club is able to keep a good balance sheet and head in the right direction I will couldn't care less about the names of who comes in or out. What I care about is what the backroom staff can get out of them. Case in point omar bogle. For all intents and purposes he's poor, but if he fits the system, and we can do something let's give hurst ET Al the chance to make it so. Waghorn wasn't setting the world on fire before he came here last year now we're looking at a mark up of 20x his purchase price. Football is a business, and while losing strong regulars from Mccarthys regime can look strange, we struggled last year, so clearing out, taking a profit and building the team the manager wants year on year makes perfect business sense to me.

The flip side of all of this is if we get relegated we have taken a low risk approach, with lower wage assets that have the quality and experience in the league we would fall into. Again business wise it makes sense and is quite a shrewd safety net as opposed to just signing a couple of huge names that want 20k a week to play.

I expect the rebuilds to be big and often, but when we can finally brush away the pain of losing Murphy in the way we did and trust judgement in recruitment I think the mix of rebuild and youth really could keep us prepared for whatever league finish we have this season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024