Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why only the North Stand? 12:16 - Nov 22 with 4415 viewsskyblue23

One thing I always think to myself, and I sit/stand in the North Stand is why the North Stand is always the stand that's relied upon to make the noise?

I understand it's been known to be the noisy stand but why can't the other 3 with thousand of people make some noise without the North stand starting it?

I remember years ago Rob Chandler pointing to each stand before the game and getting them all to cheer trying to out do the other stand and I genuinely think that gave it a boost!

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Why only the North Stand? on 12:20 - Nov 22 with 4362 viewsBurwell_Blue

You assume that people *want* to make noise?
Why only the North Stand? on 12:23 - Nov 22 with 4341 viewsGlebeTractor

Why the Kop? Why the Stretford End? Why the Matthew Harding Lower?

People who want to make noise should be together, those that like Bovril and wine gums could sit in other places :)

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

Why only the North Stand? on 12:26 - Nov 22 with 4325 viewsTractorWood

The people of Suffolk are very reticent. It's a conscious decision to not make noise. It's also worth bearing in mind that the average age of fans outside of the North Stand and family areas is very old.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Why only the North Stand? on 12:27 - Nov 22 with 4319 viewsMattinLondon

To be fair when the north stand is loud the lower tiers of both main stands join in. There’s more life in a tramps vest than the Sir Alf Stand.

Most grounds tend to have one vocal stand.
Why only the North Stand? on 12:37 - Nov 22 with 4260 viewsTractorCam

Because it's where the fans who want to make the noise are. It's good when you often get the cobbold joining in but i would never expect another stand to start any chants.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Why only the North Stand? on 12:38 - Nov 22 with 4255 viewsBrightonBlue

Why only the North Stand? on 12:27 - Nov 22 by MattinLondon

To be fair when the north stand is loud the lower tiers of both main stands join in. There’s more life in a tramps vest than the Sir Alf Stand.

Most grounds tend to have one vocal stand.

As stated above, most clubs have one predominantly vocal stand, its not unique to Ipswich. Obviously the North Stand is the catalyst, particularly with continuous singing/noise. But lets not be arrogant enough to suggest that when things get going on the pitch its only the north and lower tiers making noise. Think back to recent bigger games etc...

I have sat in all stands over the years and when the team is performing all tiers join in.
Why only the North Stand? on 12:39 - Nov 22 with 4245 viewsGarv

Why only the North Stand? on 12:23 - Nov 22 by GlebeTractor

People who want to make noise should be together, those that like Bovril and wine gums could sit in other places :)

I see a large number of sweets consumed in the North Upper.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Why only the North Stand? on 12:43 - Nov 22 with 4222 viewsGlebeTractor

Why only the North Stand? on 12:39 - Nov 22 by Garv

I see a large number of sweets consumed in the North Upper.

Lies!

Login to get fewer ads

Why only the North Stand? on 13:02 - Nov 22 with 4133 viewsskyblue23

All fair points and I do get that all stands join in when it gets going in games against the scum etc. Just wish we could have every stand up on there feet even just a couple of times a game singing the same song at the same time. I get that won't happen, but I'm happy enough in the lower north when we get going!
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 13:03]

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Why only the North Stand? on 13:19 - Nov 22 with 4074 viewslukey130490

Why only the North Stand? on 12:23 - Nov 22 by GlebeTractor

What if I like Bovril and singing? Such a dilemma!
Why only the North Stand? on 13:42 - Nov 22 with 4004 viewsPinewoodblue

Why only the North Stand? on 13:02 - Nov 22 by skyblue23

All fair points and I do get that all stands join in when it gets going in games against the scum etc. Just wish we could have every stand up on there feet even just a couple of times a game singing the same song at the same time. I get that won't happen, but I'm happy enough in the lower north when we get going!

Be nice when SBRL unite and sing together

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Why only the North Stand? on 13:52 - Nov 22 with 3974 viewsBecclesITFC

Why only the North Stand? on 13:42 - Nov 22 by Pinewoodblue

I can only think of Leeds away where I have witnessed both ends singing loud. As much as we hate them they have very vocal support.
Why only the North Stand? on 13:53 - Nov 22 with 3970 viewsPJH

Why only the North Stand? on 13:42 - Nov 22 by Pinewoodblue

Better still if it is the right words in the right order and at the right tempo.

To the best of my knowledge that was never achieved with the Joey Garner song/chant.
Why only the North Stand? on 14:00 - Nov 22 with 3953 viewsElephantintheRoom

People who grow up move out of the North Stand and settle somewhere else. You confuse moronic chanting and singing with noise. You get a different kind of noise in the two stands along the pitch. Haven't been in Churchman's for a while but that was always quite noisy in my day. Most of the blame lies with Sheepshanks for destroying the acoustics with two new stands that of course were built with money coming from income streams separate from the football club. And if you accept the premise that most people alongside the pitch have grown up a bit, got pensioner dads, kids etc then you have a few priorities beyond making moronic noise whilst tedious football grinds on.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Why only the North Stand? on 14:06 - Nov 22 with 3932 viewsGlebeTractor

Why only the North Stand? on 13:19 - Nov 22 by lukey130490

What if I like Bovril and singing? Such a dilemma!

Then the person who stands infront of you probably will have stock/gravy in their hair.

Why only the North Stand? on 14:09 - Nov 22 with 3923 viewsChondzoresk

Why only the North Stand? on 12:26 - Nov 22 by TractorWood

The people of Suffolk are very reticent. It's a conscious decision to not make noise. It's also worth bearing in mind that the average age of fans outside of the North Stand and family areas is very old.

Define 'very old' please.
Why only the North Stand? on 14:17 - Nov 22 with 3906 viewsMattinLondon

Why only the North Stand? on 14:00 - Nov 22 by ElephantintheRoom

People who grow up move out of the North Stand and settle somewhere else. You confuse moronic chanting and singing with noise. You get a different kind of noise in the two stands along the pitch. Haven't been in Churchman's for a while but that was always quite noisy in my day. Most of the blame lies with Sheepshanks for destroying the acoustics with two new stands that of course were built with money coming from income streams separate from the football club. And if you accept the premise that most people alongside the pitch have grown up a bit, got pensioner dads, kids etc then you have a few priorities beyond making moronic noise whilst tedious football grinds on.

Are you always the life and soul of the party?
Why only the North Stand? on 14:20 - Nov 22 with 3897 viewsBurwell_Blue

Why only the North Stand? on 14:17 - Nov 22 by MattinLondon

Are you always the life and soul of the party?

He does have a point though, at least to me anyway.

You get to a certain age and the match becomes more that smashing as much beer as you can and 'singing' with other grown men. You just move out of it, thats not a slight against anyone, I enjoyed jumping around like a pillock during the late 80's and early 90's but things and people move on.
Why only the North Stand? on 14:53 - Nov 22 with 3836 viewsfactual_blue

Why only the North Stand? on 12:26 - Nov 22 by TractorWood

Average age of fans outside the North Stand > average age of fans inside it. (i.e. fifty)
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 14:53]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Why only the North Stand? on 15:02 - Nov 22 with 3815 viewsMattinLondon

Why only the North Stand? on 14:20 - Nov 22 by Burwell_Blue

He does have a point though, at least to me anyway.

You get to a certain age and the match becomes more that smashing as much beer as you can and 'singing' with other grown men. You just move out of it, thats not a slight against anyone, I enjoyed jumping around like a pillock during the late 80's and early 90's but things and people move on.

Absolutely. People move on etc

Just took issue with the ‘moronic noise and singing’ comment. Sounded a bit like someone looking down on others who enjoy singing at matches.
Why only the North Stand? on 15:07 - Nov 22 with 3800 viewsGeoffSentence

Why only the North Stand? on 13:02 - Nov 22 by skyblue23

The other stands do make some noise. When they do the SBRL will be making more noise and you probably won't hear anyone else over it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024