Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well who could have seen this coming.........! 08:49 - Jan 20 with 1509 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

More public wealth drained in to private hands.....
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jan/19/ministers-urged-halt-right-buy-c

40% of former council houses now rented ouf by private landlords so the council pays them for the pleasure of losing our formerly shared asset......Maggie lives on!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Well who could have seen this coming.........! on 09:03 - Jan 20 with 1456 viewsDubtractor

I have mixed feelings on right to buy.

I grew up on a council estate and my parents being able to buy the house (which they still live in) helped give us a platform to a much better standard of living. With this platform (and good parenting) my brothers, sisters, and myself have all done pretty well in life. So I think right to buy - in my limited bubble of experience - has some great positives.

However, the headline from that story is disgusting, and like a lot of other tory initiatives it all comes down to short term gain - sell assets, reduce spending, repeat. We're rapidly heading to a point where this country doesn't own or deliver its services and infrastructure any more. Public housing stock is just another example of that.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Well who could have seen this coming.........! on 09:17 - Jan 20 with 1427 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well who could have seen this coming.........! on 09:03 - Jan 20 by Dubtractor

I have mixed feelings on right to buy.

I grew up on a council estate and my parents being able to buy the house (which they still live in) helped give us a platform to a much better standard of living. With this platform (and good parenting) my brothers, sisters, and myself have all done pretty well in life. So I think right to buy - in my limited bubble of experience - has some great positives.

However, the headline from that story is disgusting, and like a lot of other tory initiatives it all comes down to short term gain - sell assets, reduce spending, repeat. We're rapidly heading to a point where this country doesn't own or deliver its services and infrastructure any more. Public housing stock is just another example of that.

Ok, so genuine question.....in what way were your foundations made stronger by their owning the property? Wasn't it more down to your parents maybe instilling values in you (and perhaps access to funded further education).
In no way would I want to come across as holier than thou on this and for disclosure Miss Slave has recently received, via inheritence, a share in the sale of her former home ..........her values were instilled when they were still renting though. I would still argue that the societal loss top trumps her personal gain.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2019 9:54]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Well who could have seen this coming.........! on 09:44 - Jan 20 with 1388 viewsDripFedFred

There are two major flaws with RTB.

Firstly, why should residents qualify for discounts on market value of up to 60%? The houses are public assets. Everyone else is, in effect, gifting the buyer that % of its value. Imagine the outrage if a private renter was able to buy their house at 60% off after renting it for 10 years.

Second, any council house that is sold should be replaced on a 1 for 1 basis. Not doing so means we end up in exactly the situation we are in.
Well who could have seen this coming.........! on 09:48 - Jan 20 with 1372 viewswkj

As someone who grew up for many years in C/H - I must say I don't fully understand right to buy. Social housing is a godsend to many people, especially in a world where there are so many crooked landlords about for private rent. I do not see the benefit in reducing the number of available social properties under any circumstance, as we are seeing, the initial sell of is costing the country a lot more now than the money it generated then.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Well who could have seen this coming.........! on 11:48 - Jan 20 with 1298 viewsOldsmoker

Do the Tories spin this as wealth creation?
If wealth creation is at the expense of others ie. someone else loses their wealth/assets such as councils then I say this is just exploitation.
The report shows that councils were forced to sell cheaply, below market rates, and some of these porperties are now rented back to councils at considerable markups.
One thing that irks me is that councils were not allowed to reinvest the money from council house sales in new council housing until the Tories lost power to Labour in the '90s.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Well who could have seen this coming.........! on 13:25 - Jan 20 with 1249 viewsFtnfwest

It’s absolutely an issue but it’s always interesting to see the guardian treating London as if it’s the whole country. You’d have thought they might have learned from that mistake.
Well who could have seen this coming.........! on 16:34 - Jan 20 with 1177 viewsLeaky

Selling off older housing stock made sense, as most were built in the 40's & 50's. Probably it was cheaper to sell at a discount as local authorities especially in the early 80's were hopeless at getting anything done a sensible price. Where it went wrong was not reinvesting in more modern housing stock as a replacement.
Well who could have seen this coming.........! on 16:48 - Jan 20 with 1170 viewsjaykay

Well who could have seen this coming.........! on 16:34 - Jan 20 by Leaky

Selling off older housing stock made sense, as most were built in the 40's & 50's. Probably it was cheaper to sell at a discount as local authorities especially in the early 80's were hopeless at getting anything done a sensible price. Where it went wrong was not reinvesting in more modern housing stock as a replacement.

you missed out allowed after not

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024