Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? 14:51 - Feb 10 with 16044 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Both Will Keane and Collin Quaner look (very) unlikely to score regularly. Our inability to scout for and/or recruit good players has to be questioned, but is it a result of budget constraints or people not doing their respective jobs very well?

FWIW, I think that Paul Lambert has the ability to put a good side together, but he needs the necessary support.
Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 14:53 - Feb 10 with 8624 viewsBLUEBEAT

They were probably 3rd or 4th choices

Nobody wants to come here due to the current plight

Poll: W or W

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 14:55 - Feb 10 with 8609 viewsblueconscience

You get what you pay for.

People will defend St Marcus saying no one would want to join the club at the bottom of the league, but we are there for a reason. 10 years of poor investment into the team, a constant flow of loanees in and out of the club and any loanees who do well here are snapped up by other clubs in the division willing to spend.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 14:58 - Feb 10 with 8594 viewsRegencyBlue

The problem is that we shop in the bargain basement.

It comes down to money and we don’t/won’t spend what is required.
Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:07 - Feb 10 with 8553 viewsParisBlue

Keane is not a front man. I'd like to see him play deeper.

Quaner is a wide player not a forward.

I'd like to see Harrison given a run but with some support.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:10 - Feb 10 with 8541 viewschristiand

You get what you pay for, it's as simple as that. If we had serious thoughts of staying up ME had to dig deep and get a proven striker in and that was going to cost serious money. That's why we've ended up with Keane and the other fella!! Just not good enough to keep us up I'm afraid.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:10 - Feb 10 with 8540 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 14:55 - Feb 10 by blueconscience

You get what you pay for.

People will defend St Marcus saying no one would want to join the club at the bottom of the league, but we are there for a reason. 10 years of poor investment into the team, a constant flow of loanees in and out of the club and any loanees who do well here are snapped up by other clubs in the division willing to spend.

I think having McCarthy here disguised the plight we have been in for a long time. He could get away with recruiting cheap players by playing an agricultural style of football.

Clearly, Hurst considered that he needed different players to play his style of football, but he needed greater resources than McCarthy ever had. In effect, Evans handed him an empty pot that he had to fill himself by ironically selling the very players, Webster and Waghorn, who were capable of playing a better style of football. It appears that Evans handed Lambert the same pot in January!
Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:12 - Feb 10 with 8531 views3_5_2

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:07 - Feb 10 by ParisBlue

Keane is not a front man. I'd like to see him play deeper.

Quaner is a wide player not a forward.

I'd like to see Harrison given a run but with some support.

With Freddie out and Quaner absolutely toilet it seems, it may be a Harrison / Keane pairing which could work

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:30 - Feb 10 with 8483 viewsBinner

You'd need to be daft to think you'll get an in-form high quality striker in the January window unless you are able to spend £millions over the odds.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Login to get fewer ads

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:42 - Feb 10 with 8447 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:30 - Feb 10 by Binner

You'd need to be daft to think you'll get an in-form high quality striker in the January window unless you are able to spend £millions over the odds.

What about just a good striker? Joe Garner cost millions? Martyn Waghorn cost us millions? Call me daft, but I think we could have done better, but I agree, we needed to throw a bit more money at it too.
Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:49 - Feb 10 with 8408 viewstractorshark

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:42 - Feb 10 by FrankfurtBlue

What about just a good striker? Joe Garner cost millions? Martyn Waghorn cost us millions? Call me daft, but I think we could have done better, but I agree, we needed to throw a bit more money at it too.

I suppose it depends not just on money but whether you want to come here.
Waghorn and Garner arrived in the summer.
In this window, how many strikers would have chosen us given our plight?
Does anyone know the reason for Quaner not being in the squad???
Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 16:11 - Feb 10 with 8367 viewsBinner

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:42 - Feb 10 by FrankfurtBlue

You're daft. A 'good' striker is defined by what he is doing in games, ie, to be 'good' he needs to be playing well, scoring and creating goals. Such players are highly valued by their clubs are not, generally, sold in the January windw.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 16:32 - Feb 10 with 8325 viewsCoastalblue

I think people were probably as excited by Waghorn and Garner when they signed as they were by Keane and Quarner?

Neither of the former were viewed as likely to be prolific? That's how we recruit, sometimes it comes off.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 16:51 - Feb 10 with 8283 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 16:11 - Feb 10 by Binner

You're daft. A 'good' striker is defined by what he is doing in games, ie, to be 'good' he needs to be playing well, scoring and creating goals. Such players are highly valued by their clubs are not, generally, sold in the January windw.

So you don't think we could have done any better? What about if Evans had been prepared to release some of the gains (£4m?) made from the Summer transfers?
Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 16:58 - Feb 10 with 8261 viewsagentp

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:10 - Feb 10 by FrankfurtBlue

I think having McCarthy here disguised the plight we have been in for a long time. He could get away with recruiting cheap players by playing an agricultural style of football.

Clearly, Hurst considered that he needed different players to play his style of football, but he needed greater resources than McCarthy ever had. In effect, Evans handed him an empty pot that he had to fill himself by ironically selling the very players, Webster and Waghorn, who were capable of playing a better style of football. It appears that Evans handed Lambert the same pot in January!

He did not have to sell Waghorn, Webster to raise funds.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:01 - Feb 10 with 8257 viewsagentp

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 16:51 - Feb 10 by FrankfurtBlue

So you don't think we could have done any better? What about if Evans had been prepared to release some of the gains (£4m?) made from the Summer transfers?

£4m gain. I take it Maths isnt your strongest subject.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:11 - Feb 10 with 8233 viewspointofblue

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 16:58 - Feb 10 by agentp

True but they both made it clear that they wanted to go.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:13 - Feb 10 with 8223 viewsagentp

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:11 - Feb 10 by pointofblue

True but they both made it clear that they wanted to go.

I said. 'He did not have to sell Webster and Waghorn to raise funds' It was suggested he had to do just that. He didn't.

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:20 - Feb 10 with 8211 viewsPilgrimblue

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 15:49 - Feb 10 by tractorshark

I suppose it depends not just on money but whether you want to come here.
Waghorn and Garner arrived in the summer.
In this window, how many strikers would have chosen us given our plight?
Does anyone know the reason for Quaner not being in the squad???

Pick players in their best position. If Quaner is Right mid then thats' where he should be
but I don't feel that there are any goals in the team that played
For me Bish must play from the start. He's got goals in him and will help others whereas Skuse could be there for ever and never look like he will ever. Time for Downes to be our DM and picked every game plus I thought Nolan was feisty and linked up well .
However neither Chambo nor Pennington are very good on corners as their headers are too defensive. I hope Collins is fit for Derby and I'd pick Nsiala with him as It cant get any worse!
Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:27 - Feb 10 with 8177 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:01 - Feb 10 by agentp

£4m gain. I take it Maths isnt your strongest subject.

Did you notice the question mark after the figure, or is English not your strongest subject?What was the figure then, professor?
Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:29 - Feb 10 with 8165 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 16:58 - Feb 10 by agentp

What was the transfer budget given to Hurst in the Summer?
Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:30 - Feb 10 with 8157 viewsagentp

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:27 - Feb 10 by FrankfurtBlue

Did you notice the question mark after the figure, or is English not your strongest subject?What was the figure then, professor?

We sold a handful of players and bought a handful of players. It doesn't take a lot of working out. No need for an, excusing question mark.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2019 17:30]

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:41 - Feb 10 with 8135 viewspointofblue

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:13 - Feb 10 by agentp

I said. 'He did not have to sell Webster and Waghorn to raise funds' It was suggested he had to do just that. He didn't.

Yes, hence I said 'true'. But I can see why he decided not to keep players around who didn't want to play for the team.

That does remind me though - we're facing Waghorn on Wednesday.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:47 - Feb 10 with 8095 viewsagentp

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:41 - Feb 10 by pointofblue

Yes, hence I said 'true'. But I can see why he decided not to keep players around who didn't want to play for the team.

That does remind me though - we're facing Waghorn on Wednesday.

The value of 'want out players' reduces considerably. It's not like we are Chelsea and can make them serve out their time. We had some gems last season and with the right acquisitions this season we would have pushed on. What a Fck up it became.

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:47 - Feb 10 with 8096 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:30 - Feb 10 by agentp

We sold a handful of players and bought a handful of players. It doesn't take a lot of working out. No need for an, excusing question mark.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2019 17:30]

You wrote that I had it wrong, but you can't tell me the true figure. Why?

A question mark because it I personally didn't see the transfer contracts myself and therefore cannot be completely sure that I got the figures correct. If you know better, please reveal. If not, why bother replying?
Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:53 - Feb 10 with 8082 viewsagentp

Why are we still so toothless up front after a January transfer window? on 17:47 - Feb 10 by FrankfurtBlue

You wrote that I had it wrong, but you can't tell me the true figure. Why?

A question mark because it I personally didn't see the transfer contracts myself and therefore cannot be completely sure that I got the figures correct. If you know better, please reveal. If not, why bother replying?

I can tell you what the figure is I have done it FOUR TIMES now on different threads.

If I recall (excluding loan fees) there was a 1.85M surplus. Our loanees would have more than wiped out that!

Five times

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024