Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development 12:22 - Mar 3 with 4119 viewsBlueForYou

Been reading about the takeover this morning & found this site which details the plans for the Pawtucket site by Fortuitous Partners. Looks very positive & impressive. Is this the future & are we in at the right time with the right people?

http://thetidewaterlanding.com/
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 12:32]
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 15:44 - Mar 3 with 733 viewshype313

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 15:42 - Mar 3 by SpruceMoose

The thing nobody ever discusses is how in many parts of the US drink driving isn't he huge taboo that it is in the UK. I dread to think how many folks drive away from NFL or MLB games over the limit!

They all drink light beers over there though, it would be like us going to football drinking pints of Top Deck.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 15:46 - Mar 3 with 719 viewsSpruceMoose

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 15:44 - Mar 3 by hype313

They all drink light beers over there though, it would be like us going to football drinking pints of Top Deck.

Ah but the cars are twice the size and they all drive them like golf buggies as they don't have to worry about changing gears!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 16:12 - Mar 3 with 682 viewsportmanroadblue

I always wondered if they could turn the pitch around and create a new stadium with ammenities like Spurs did?
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 17:02 - Mar 3 with 649 viewsdirtyboy

The sums we're talking about don't seem feasible to rebuilding etc, but I can see some mileage in saying to the council, we'll build a new stadium and regenerate a poorer part of the town with investment.

That's in exchange for abandoning Portman Road allowing the council to sell that off as prime land along with the carpark opposite that wouldn't be needed without the stadium. Joint venture with proceeds? I don't know what's possible in current climate.

I'd look at GraftonWay along the river, but don't think it's big enough for even a smaller stadium if you want to stay near town centre to maintain local economy on matchday, but the new owners won't want to support local economy, they'll want you to eat and drink and be merry all day at their venue.

Maybe they can see value in the training pitch, catering and the Alderman Park for gathering somehow?

Let's be honest, they're not pissing about with pocket change and it isn't all their money either, so they'll have a plan already.
You're not going to believe this.. on 18:12 - Mar 3 with 625 viewsScottCandage

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 12:43 - Mar 3 by StokieBlue

Watched a minor league baseball game in Pawtucket about 30 years ago.

The massive brawl when the pitcher hit the batsman was excellent viewing for a youngster.

SB

But I was an usher at that stadium (McCoy Stadium) around that time. Can I ask a few questions, as I might have been working that night and played a part in it...

1. Was it Souvenir bat night?
2. Did the appearance of Bill Buckner as a replacement first base coach make the crowd mad again?

If so, I was there and on his side of the field, facing 2000 angry Red Sox fans with souvenir bats, having to protect him.
You're not going to believe this.. on 18:14 - Mar 3 with 615 viewsjeera

You're not going to believe this.. on 18:12 - Mar 3 by ScottCandage

But I was an usher at that stadium (McCoy Stadium) around that time. Can I ask a few questions, as I might have been working that night and played a part in it...

1. Was it Souvenir bat night?
2. Did the appearance of Bill Buckner as a replacement first base coach make the crowd mad again?

If so, I was there and on his side of the field, facing 2000 angry Red Sox fans with souvenir bats, having to protect him.

Always thought you were Canadian for some reason Scott.

So you are US based?

How did I think that?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Pawtucket Red Sox... on 18:16 - Mar 3 with 615 viewsScottCandage

tried for years to get that site developed for a new stadium. They couldn't get it done, and they lost their affiliation with the Red Sox because of it. The new AAA Red Sox affiliate is 40 miles up the road in Worcester now.

But Brett Johnson came in and got the approval to develop that parcel. And people had been looking at it for years. It's going to start as a 7500 "soccer" specific stadium, expandable to 15K, but they also plan on having it as a second tier summer concert pavilion (we could use one in RI).
The Pawtucket Red Sox... on 18:47 - Mar 3 with 583 viewsBlueForYou

The Pawtucket Red Sox... on 18:16 - Mar 3 by ScottCandage

tried for years to get that site developed for a new stadium. They couldn't get it done, and they lost their affiliation with the Red Sox because of it. The new AAA Red Sox affiliate is 40 miles up the road in Worcester now.

But Brett Johnson came in and got the approval to develop that parcel. And people had been looking at it for years. It's going to start as a 7500 "soccer" specific stadium, expandable to 15K, but they also plan on having it as a second tier summer concert pavilion (we could use one in RI).

Scott. Were you the guy on Radio Suffolk last night who mentioned this particular development as an example as to the competence of our new prospective owners?
Login to get fewer ads

The Pawtucket Red Sox... on 18:49 - Mar 3 with 578 viewsjeera

The Pawtucket Red Sox... on 18:47 - Mar 3 by BlueForYou

Scott. Were you the guy on Radio Suffolk last night who mentioned this particular development as an example as to the competence of our new prospective owners?

I was working up to that!

There's 350 odd million Americans.

They can't all be called Scott and those who are sure as hell don't all support Town.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I was on 18:55 - Mar 3 with 575 viewsScottCandage

The Pawtucket Red Sox... on 18:47 - Mar 3 by BlueForYou

I was more repeating my points for those who might not have heard the broadcast.
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 02:11 - Mar 4 with 541 viewstextbackup

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 17:02 - Mar 3 by dirtyboy

The sums we're talking about don't seem feasible to rebuilding etc, but I can see some mileage in saying to the council, we'll build a new stadium and regenerate a poorer part of the town with investment.

That's in exchange for abandoning Portman Road allowing the council to sell that off as prime land along with the carpark opposite that wouldn't be needed without the stadium. Joint venture with proceeds? I don't know what's possible in current climate.

I'd look at GraftonWay along the river, but don't think it's big enough for even a smaller stadium if you want to stay near town centre to maintain local economy on matchday, but the new owners won't want to support local economy, they'll want you to eat and drink and be merry all day at their venue.

Maybe they can see value in the training pitch, catering and the Alderman Park for gathering somehow?

Let's be honest, they're not pissing about with pocket change and it isn't all their money either, so they'll have a plan already.

sorry I made another post without reading this, I too thought about alderman park.

with Bibb way (ex BT offices) becoming apartments, theres plenty already going on down there.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 07:23 - Mar 4 with 507 viewsBaaBaaBlue

I watched the video for the new development in Pawtucket and am insanely jealous.. jealous that local government, business people and locals want to invest so much into a sport in their town.. yeah, it's probably easier if you don't have the history like we do.. but it's still a punt on what, the fourth most popular sport in the US?

If Ipswich don't modernise very soon, we stand ro lose much much more than I think people realise..

We have lost a ton of ground on our biggest rival, I wouldn't be surprised if they move home before us.. Norwich as a place seems to be a lot more forward thinking than Ipswich..

Also, with a country like the US now heavily investing in 2nd tier football, eventually even the Premier League will start to lose a little of it's limelight.

Yes, I've loved going to Portman Rd over the years, we ALL have.. but, we as a team have stood still for far too long now..both on and off the pitch.. and in this fast moving game, that means we've gone backwards
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 07:38 - Mar 4 with 496 viewshype313

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 07:23 - Mar 4 by BaaBaaBlue

I watched the video for the new development in Pawtucket and am insanely jealous.. jealous that local government, business people and locals want to invest so much into a sport in their town.. yeah, it's probably easier if you don't have the history like we do.. but it's still a punt on what, the fourth most popular sport in the US?

If Ipswich don't modernise very soon, we stand ro lose much much more than I think people realise..

We have lost a ton of ground on our biggest rival, I wouldn't be surprised if they move home before us.. Norwich as a place seems to be a lot more forward thinking than Ipswich..

Also, with a country like the US now heavily investing in 2nd tier football, eventually even the Premier League will start to lose a little of it's limelight.

Yes, I've loved going to Portman Rd over the years, we ALL have.. but, we as a team have stood still for far too long now..both on and off the pitch.. and in this fast moving game, that means we've gone backwards

You have to change with the times, yes, PR is great right now, with the location and recent history but in 100 years time if we move it will be all forgotten bar a maybe Steve M's grandson posting brilliant pictures of our 'old ground'.

PR is a convenient spot for the fans, but if this new lot are looking at changing the landscape of the Club and looking at how football entertainment will be viewed in years to come then if the plans they have in the US were replicated here then this would be hugely beneficial to the town longer term.

I love PR, but lets be honest, it's a tired looking ground, the surrounding area isn't great and bar the ease of access there's not a great deal for the fans to get involved in.

Looking at the Everton fans and the amazing plans for thier new ground, the majority seem sad to see Goodison go but excited for the new stadium and ideas going forward. They are taking a very pragmatic view, which we should explore at the very least.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024