Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Price of electricity.... 11:43 - Mar 8 with 5592 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

....just seen how woefully low our standing charge is for electric payments following recent increases (owe in excess of £500). Seems we use about £90/month in a small house with nobody in it during work hours....oil fired heating....so essentially this is sockets, lights, cooker, fridge, washing machine.
How much are others paying per month?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Price of electricity.... on 11:48 - Mar 8 with 3496 viewsHARRY10

its those wind combine things, it must cost a fortune running them

I sure they are causing some of these high winds we keep getting
Price of electricity.... on 12:21 - Mar 8 with 3451 viewslongtimefan

I pay around £100 a month for a 4 bed house for combined Electricity and Gas, generally occupied all day. I’d say your bill sounds a bit high in comparison.
Price of electricity.... on 12:30 - Mar 8 with 3438 viewsBent_double

Sounds a lot.

I'm paying between £100-£130 a month for a guesthouse with 6 electric showers, fridges, TVs on most days, washing machine and tumble dryer used a heck of a lot, and that on a business tariff.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Price of electricity.... on 12:49 - Mar 8 with 3394 viewsWeWereZombies

I am another one with the sin of oil fired central heating in a modest (2/3 bedroom) house, so only use electricity for cooking, fridge/freezer, lights and endless TWTD sessions...

I pay around £20-£30 a month on average so it might be an idea for you to check to see if you have a faulty appliance, have left an energy consuming spotlight on in a loft (I did that for weeks once) or have a neighbour who thinks you should share the wealth more and has wired things up accordingly (it happens).

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Price of electricity.... on 12:52 - Mar 8 with 3382 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Price of electricity.... on 12:49 - Mar 8 by WeWereZombies

I am another one with the sin of oil fired central heating in a modest (2/3 bedroom) house, so only use electricity for cooking, fridge/freezer, lights and endless TWTD sessions...

I pay around £20-£30 a month on average so it might be an idea for you to check to see if you have a faulty appliance, have left an energy consuming spotlight on in a loft (I did that for weeks once) or have a neighbour who thinks you should share the wealth more and has wired things up accordingly (it happens).

A cursory scan through my payments seems to suggest that our usage has stayed about the same but the cost has doubled since about a year ago!

Our meter still shows a day and night rate... maybe that's it!
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 12:55]

Price of electricity.... on 12:53 - Mar 8 with 3375 viewsWeWereZombies

Price of electricity.... on 12:52 - Mar 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

A cursory scan through my payments seems to suggest that our usage has stayed about the same but the cost has doubled since about a year ago!

I guess you are going to have to go full on middle class and switch suppliers then.

Price of electricity.... on 12:57 - Mar 8 with 3367 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Price of electricity.... on 12:53 - Mar 8 by WeWereZombies

I guess you are going to have to go full on middle class and switch suppliers then.

I did... that is probably my big mistake... RobinHood/Ebico....but was with them last year too when it was costing half what it is now.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 12:58]

Price of electricity.... on 13:01 - Mar 8 with 3350 viewslongtimefan

Price of electricity.... on 12:57 - Mar 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

I did... that is probably my big mistake... RobinHood/Ebico....but was with them last year too when it was costing half what it is now.

Mine is a group purchase arrangement with EDF brokered by the Prospect Union.
Login to get fewer ads

Price of electricity.... on 13:01 - Mar 8 with 3348 viewsWeWereZombies

Price of electricity.... on 12:57 - Mar 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

Ahh, so double down middle class and switch again then. I am expecting the demise of the username 'BanksterDebtSlave' to be replaced by 'GrannySellingUserer'.

You can spend your savings on a subscription to the Daily Mail.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 13:02]

Price of electricity.... on 13:04 - Mar 8 with 3336 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Price of electricity.... on 13:01 - Mar 8 by WeWereZombies

Ahh, so double down middle class and switch again then. I am expecting the demise of the username 'BanksterDebtSlave' to be replaced by 'GrannySellingUserer'.

You can spend your savings on a subscription to the Daily Mail.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 13:02]

Don't know what you mean...my appointment is already made to borrow the necessary funds! BanksterFuelDebtSlave maybe!

Price of electricity.... on 13:06 - Mar 8 with 3333 viewssparks

The Government is out to get you.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Price of electricity.... on 13:09 - Mar 8 with 3323 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Price of electricity.... on 13:06 - Mar 8 by sparks

The Government is out to get you.

It's gubberment and can you change your username for this thread please. Do you ever have something constructive to say?

Price of electricity.... on 13:21 - Mar 8 with 3292 viewsRyorry

I'm with Ovo, and it took me about 2 years to work out that they'd wired the day/night usage the wrong way round ... plus another 15 months + probably the equivalent of an entire working month in my time spent on it, to convince them that I was right & they were wrong! They had also given me incorrect info on installation of the Economy 10 meter that the GMT & BST hours would automatically switch - they don't, you just have to change your usage according to the clock.

They did sort it & give me a refund in the end (iirc,only because I got my MP involved!) - but of course there was no realistic way of knowing whether that refund was the whole amount of the difference that they actually owed me.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 13:22]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Price of electricity.... on 13:29 - Mar 8 with 3272 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Price of electricity.... on 13:21 - Mar 8 by Ryorry

I'm with Ovo, and it took me about 2 years to work out that they'd wired the day/night usage the wrong way round ... plus another 15 months + probably the equivalent of an entire working month in my time spent on it, to convince them that I was right & they were wrong! They had also given me incorrect info on installation of the Economy 10 meter that the GMT & BST hours would automatically switch - they don't, you just have to change your usage according to the clock.

They did sort it & give me a refund in the end (iirc,only because I got my MP involved!) - but of course there was no realistic way of knowing whether that refund was the whole amount of the difference that they actually owed me.

Better look into that then!

Price of electricity.... on 13:34 - Mar 8 with 3260 viewsjeera

Bulb!

Use a code I get through their site and they'll give us each 50 quid on our accounts for swapping.

I do only live in a one-bed flat but it is quite nice, with high ceilings and all that. Large double bedroom.

I am here pretty much all the time and my gas + electric combined is around £40 a month.

Yes, £40 a month. For the 2. And the thermostat is currently set on 22 degrees.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Price of electricity.... on 13:40 - Mar 8 with 3248 viewsjeera

Price of electricity.... on 13:21 - Mar 8 by Ryorry

Some of these firms are feckers it has to be said.

I used to naively trust everyone, thinking they knew their own business but some of them are crooks, or careless with no will to do the right thing.

I found myself paying £200 a month for my gas and electric on a 2 bed bungalow when I was working 10 hour days.

It took 10 months of rowing with them before they agreed to send someone out to have a look.

He changed the meter and my bills halved.

They did refund a few hundred but although it should have been more I couldn't be bothered any more.

Price of electricity.... on 13:54 - Mar 8 with 3222 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Price of electricity.... on 13:34 - Mar 8 by jeera

Bulb!

Use a code I get through their site and they'll give us each 50 quid on our accounts for swapping.

I do only live in a one-bed flat but it is quite nice, with high ceilings and all that. Large double bedroom.

I am here pretty much all the time and my gas + electric combined is around £40 a month.

Yes, £40 a month. For the 2. And the thermostat is currently set on 22 degrees.

Feck...I'm being fleeced!

Price of electricity.... on 14:00 - Mar 8 with 3214 viewsjeera

Price of electricity.... on 13:54 - Mar 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

Feck...I'm being fleeced!

Maybe.

I have to say I don't like the way firms don't have to display their unit prices anymore.

For a while they did and that cut through all the nonsense. All you had to do was see how much they charged per unit, alongside their standing charges and the outcome was obvious.

None of this compare rubbish which is mostly sponsored of course and then confusing because the rates aren't always transparent regarding the zones some of them of them use; Economy this/that.

Just tell me the sodding price and I'll decide from there. But that was changed due to ridiculously named 'fair trading' regulations.

Anyways, if you can, do that. Look at the individual unit prices and the standing charges.

The rest is smoke and mirror stuff.

Edit: You mean by Standing Charge your Direct Debit, right? I mean actual Standing Charge which is part of your billing.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 14:13]

Price of electricity.... on 16:14 - Mar 8 with 3127 viewsWeWereZombies

Price of electricity.... on 14:00 - Mar 8 by jeera

Maybe.

I have to say I don't like the way firms don't have to display their unit prices anymore.

For a while they did and that cut through all the nonsense. All you had to do was see how much they charged per unit, alongside their standing charges and the outcome was obvious.

None of this compare rubbish which is mostly sponsored of course and then confusing because the rates aren't always transparent regarding the zones some of them of them use; Economy this/that.

Just tell me the sodding price and I'll decide from there. But that was changed due to ridiculously named 'fair trading' regulations.

Anyways, if you can, do that. Look at the individual unit prices and the standing charges.

Edit: You mean by Standing Charge your Direct Debit, right? I mean actual Standing Charge which is part of your billing.

SSE put the unit price for consumption (in the value per kWh which is what my meter is denominated in so no piddling around converting it into therms or something) and the day rate for the standing charge on each bill I get. And they sent me an email telling me what the increase in both of these would be per unit when the prices went up.

Price of electricity.... on 16:19 - Mar 8 with 3125 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Price of electricity.... on 14:00 - Mar 8 by jeera

Maybe.

Yep meant direct debit.

Price of electricity.... on 19:17 - Mar 8 with 3034 viewsjeera

Price of electricity.... on 16:14 - Mar 8 by WeWereZombies

SSE put the unit price for consumption (in the value per kWh which is what my meter is denominated in so no piddling around converting it into therms or something) and the day rate for the standing charge on each bill I get. And they sent me an email telling me what the increase in both of these would be per unit when the prices went up.

Good and some do that. But they're not obliged to make that immediately apparent.

As I say, that should be first and foremost on all bills so people know where they stand.

It can be looked up of course, by going through each quote individually when checking out comparisons. But it's so time-consuming you eventually give up.

Price of electricity.... on 19:41 - Mar 8 with 2992 viewsClapham_Junction

What is your unit rate on your most recent bill?

Also, your direct debit may have only gone up to £90 to recover your debt and not be reflective what you use or prices. Electricity companies tend to try and set the DD a fair amount higher than required to cover bills — I ended up about £300 in credit once and they were still reluctant to reduce my monthly payments.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 19:44]
Price of electricity.... on 19:52 - Mar 8 with 2961 viewsGlasgowBlue

I've just asked the wife and she says we are about £350 a month for gas and electric.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Price of electricity.... on 21:40 - Mar 8 with 2899 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Price of electricity.... on 19:41 - Mar 8 by Clapham_Junction

What is your unit rate on your most recent bill?

Also, your direct debit may have only gone up to £90 to recover your debt and not be reflective what you use or prices. Electricity companies tend to try and set the DD a fair amount higher than required to cover bills — I ended up about £300 in credit once and they were still reluctant to reduce my monthly payments.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 19:44]

Unit price is 18.29 standing charge 23.77/day
I upped my dd to 45 quid/month about a year ago to meet the cost at that point (looking back at account it was costing nearer 52 and now it is costing me 83/month)
I owe them £550 shortfall.

Price of electricity.... on 21:41 - Mar 8 with 2898 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Price of electricity.... on 19:52 - Mar 8 by GlasgowBlue

I've just asked the wife and she says we are about £350 a month for gas and electric.

Is your castle very drafty?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024