Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New manager 08:45 - Mar 12 with 3726 viewsmuccletonjoe

Anyone who has ANY doubts that Paul Cook is the right man for the job.
Come back in a years time, dig this post out and we will talk again.👍
New manager on 08:56 - Mar 12 with 3490 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

No not yet. This is Paul Lamberts squad. Paul Cook will be good for us

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

New manager on 09:02 - Mar 12 with 3452 viewsmuccletonjoe

New manager on 08:56 - Mar 12 by TRUE_BLUE123

No not yet. This is Paul Lamberts squad. Paul Cook will be good for us

He has inherited Lamberts squad, but not only will they want to play for him. They will bust a gut to play for him.
New manager on 09:25 - Mar 12 with 3370 viewsBlueWorldOrder

New manager on 09:02 - Mar 12 by muccletonjoe

He has inherited Lamberts squad, but not only will they want to play for him. They will bust a gut to play for him.

He's not going to hide behind that excuse forever either. If we're not out of this league by or look to be by this time next year he hasn't done a good job. No more time to restart or refresh. We want success.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

New manager on 09:32 - Mar 12 with 3347 viewshaynes_toe1

I dont see why people wouldn't have ANY doubts unless they're incapable of thinking objectively.

The guy has good pedigree but other than talking well like the last two guys before him there's nothing else to go on.

In fact we do know that typically Evans makes bad decisions so the odds in that sense are against him.

Too early to tell either way but a bit nonsensical to just assume its going to be the right or wrong person.
New manager on 10:10 - Mar 12 with 3249 viewssuffolkpoker

You only have to see his record at other clubs.

Emerald Isle - Winners league cup and Europe.
Chesterfield - L2 Champs and L1 play offs following year.
Portsmouth - L2 Champs.
Wigan - League 1 Champs and would of come mid table L1

I would say that is the secound best magerial record in Marcus evans ownership.

We are in good hands and i belive Marcus Evans has appointmented the right man this time.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

New manager on 10:26 - Mar 12 with 3187 viewstrncbluearmy

If Cook was solely an Evans appt. it is doomed, but given the early rumours and timeline the potential owners must have had an input.
New manager on 10:39 - Mar 12 with 3108 viewsCoastalblue

I'm optimistic but we've been burnt so many times now, lived through so many false dawns that I'd rather give him my backing but watch what happens before I make any great declarations.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

New manager on 10:40 - Mar 12 with 3100 viewsclive_baker

I have maximum confidence in Cook if he's given the time and support to see the project though, but we can't really judge him until after a transfer window and a pre season. If he gets us in the playoffs this season, great. That firmly should be the aim with the players we've got and the run in. If we win them, even better, but that's much less likely I would say. But I'm viewing this season as something of a free hit, give him the summer to do a proper job on this squad, on his backroom team and get us going for next season, whether that's in L1 or the Championship who knows.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

New manager on 11:14 - Mar 12 with 3026 viewsBlueWorldOrder

New manager on 10:40 - Mar 12 by clive_baker

I have maximum confidence in Cook if he's given the time and support to see the project though, but we can't really judge him until after a transfer window and a pre season. If he gets us in the playoffs this season, great. That firmly should be the aim with the players we've got and the run in. If we win them, even better, but that's much less likely I would say. But I'm viewing this season as something of a free hit, give him the summer to do a proper job on this squad, on his backroom team and get us going for next season, whether that's in L1 or the Championship who knows.

No more time. We keep giving time. We keep getting told League One is good for us when it is not. If we aren't promoted this season or aren't looking like we're going up within a year he needs to go. We have heard this all before. Action not failure now. No more accepting we have to fail.

New manager on 11:39 - Mar 12 with 2990 viewsGuthrum

New manager on 11:14 - Mar 12 by BlueWorldOrder

No more time. We keep giving time. We keep getting told League One is good for us when it is not. If we aren't promoted this season or aren't looking like we're going up within a year he needs to go. We have heard this all before. Action not failure now. No more accepting we have to fail.

So how do you propose to judge 'aren't looking like we're going up within a year' without giving him a reasonable slice of time (and a transfer window or two) to prove that? Would have to be at least next March before that can be said for certain.

Plus if we become a furiously sacking club, how are we going to attract decent managers - or, for that matter, good players? Not to mention the constant payoffs draining the club's budget.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

New manager on 11:42 - Mar 12 with 2978 viewsChurchman

New manager on 10:40 - Mar 12 by clive_baker

Play offs should be the aim, but if he gets us into them it’ll be some achievement with what he’s got. I too view it as a free hit but think his primary objective should be decisions on who he wants at the club, players and staff, and how much of the dross he can unload. Basically, to start building a team - for the first time here in years.
New manager on 13:13 - Mar 12 with 2871 viewsmuccletonjoe

New manager on 11:42 - Mar 12 by Churchman

Play offs should be the aim, but if he gets us into them it’ll be some achievement with what he’s got. I too view it as a free hit but think his primary objective should be decisions on who he wants at the club, players and staff, and how much of the dross he can unload. Basically, to start building a team - for the first time here in years.

And looking it from that perspective , it is a very good time for him to be here.
New manager on 14:18 - Mar 12 with 2726 viewsArnieM

I suspect they’ll be a lot of players ready to bust a gut now...it’s contract renewal time for many of them Isn’t it.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I'm completely sold.... on 14:23 - Mar 12 with 2715 viewsunstableblue

.. he just feels the right fit. I do think there are other 'modern' managers out there, Appleton for example, but Cook seems to have the energy and personality, honesty and insight we have lacked.

Still no wins though, and I just really hope he gets the win against Plymouth, and his friend. I do think there is a banana skin in there.

I've always craved a certain insight from Ipswich manager's press conferences, and just never really got anything from the recent appointees. I find myself interested in what Cook has to say.

I really hope you are able to bring this post up when we're doing well in the Championship. But a long long way to go my boy.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

New manager on 14:23 - Mar 12 with 2714 viewsBlueWorldOrder

New manager on 11:39 - Mar 12 by Guthrum

So how do you propose to judge 'aren't looking like we're going up within a year' without giving him a reasonable slice of time (and a transfer window or two) to prove that? Would have to be at least next March before that can be said for certain.

Plus if we become a furiously sacking club, how are we going to attract decent managers - or, for that matter, good players? Not to mention the constant payoffs draining the club's budget.

If we are in this position or lower next season he should go. He has to deliver, we can't continue to be an easy ride. Hurst didn't get much time did he? We should have been as ruthless with Lambert and with Cook. The world is passing us by while we muck about with League One and keep telling ourselves its good for the club......... just another season, needs more time. It's been proven wrong. Get us up or get out.

New manager on 14:42 - Mar 12 with 2679 viewsArnieM

New manager on 14:23 - Mar 12 by BlueWorldOrder

If we are in this position or lower next season he should go. He has to deliver, we can't continue to be an easy ride. Hurst didn't get much time did he? We should have been as ruthless with Lambert and with Cook. The world is passing us by while we muck about with League One and keep telling ourselves its good for the club......... just another season, needs more time. It's been proven wrong. Get us up or get out.

Oh ffs are you for real? Probably a bloody summer.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

New manager on 14:45 - Mar 12 with 2660 viewsChurchman

New manager on 14:23 - Mar 12 by BlueWorldOrder

He does have to get the job done. But he’s inherited an unbalanced mess of a squad with no spine in a club that’s a shambles. The owner is on his 7th manager in 13 years.

Cook has to be given a time to do the job and a modicum of support to do it. The pattern of the Hurst period of we’ll flog all the best players, replace with cheap rubbish and trouser the difference cannot work now. Thanks to that and two hapless clowns as managers, we are a mid table League One club. No more, no less and besides, we have nothing left to sell.

It’s up to Evans. Give the bloke half a chance and I think he will get us up, in all probability next season and in a state to compete in the Championship which is crucial..
New manager on 17:11 - Mar 12 with 2509 viewsclive_baker

New manager on 11:14 - Mar 12 by BlueWorldOrder

How do you expect him to make a difference if he's not given time? I agree it's been frustrating, and we shouldn't be in L1 but the issue is we've been giving the wrong managers too long, and that's not Cook's fault. He should've been here in July. It's a rebuilding job for him and really I would say lets judge his progress 10 games into next season. Hopefully we're in the Championship, stranger things have happened.

New manager on 17:16 - Mar 12 with 2494 viewsclive_baker

New manager on 10:39 - Mar 12 by Coastalblue

I'm optimistic but we've been burnt so many times now, lived through so many false dawns that I'd rather give him my backing but watch what happens before I make any great declarations.

I hear you. There's certainly always that risk, and I do think there's wider factors at play than just the manager. There comes a point where you have to question if Keane, Jewell, Hurst, Lambert were all bad managers, or operating in the wrong structure. FWIF I do believe Hurst and Lambert were awful managers, also in the wrong structure. I think both of those things can be true. I do think Cook is cut from a different cloth, its been refreshing to see his enthusiasm for the role but you're right, we should proceed with cautious optimism.

New manager on 18:23 - Mar 12 with 2350 viewsghostofescobar

New manager on 10:39 - Mar 12 by Coastalblue

I'm with you. And until Evans goes, any manager works with one hand tied behind their back.

GhostOfEscobar

New manager on 18:55 - Mar 12 with 2276 viewsoneoffposter

I saw an interview with Alex Bruce who played under him at Wigan and wasn’t very complementary, he talked about leaving for Kilmarnock and how good Steve Clarke was

He spoke well of Jim and said Keane was a good bloke if not a manager

Not sure how anyone can say Cook is good or bad yet, he is after all Wigan’s 2nd most successful manager in recent history behind Jewell
New manager on 19:15 - Mar 12 with 2201 viewsLeoMuff

New manager on 18:55 - Mar 12 by oneoffposter

I saw an interview with Alex Bruce who played under him at Wigan and wasn’t very complementary, he talked about leaving for Kilmarnock and how good Steve Clarke was

He spoke well of Jim and said Keane was a good bloke if not a manager

Not sure how anyone can say Cook is good or bad yet, he is after all Wigan’s 2nd most successful manager in recent history behind Jewell

Still though you would have to be crazy not to say he was head and shoulders the best realistic option for us. In fact I thought he would be out of our league so well done ME.

Unfortunately though to be successful will need drastic changes at the club, the current structure does not work and many managers have alluded to, let’s hope ME is ready to give up control to people who have a clue, or just sell.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

New manager on 20:33 - Mar 12 with 2078 viewsblueconscience

He will only succeed when not under the restraints of Evans.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

New manager on 20:40 - Mar 12 with 2059 viewsSwansea_Blue

They didn't against Gillingham. He seems like a decent choice, but I don't see how everyone can be so certain that he's going to be a massive success. He's got his work cut out here off the back of 13 years of decline. Let's hope he does it, but the odds are stacked against him.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New manager on 20:43 - Mar 12 with 2048 viewsOsborneOneNil

I love him
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024