Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The roadmap out of lockdown 09:53 - Feb 23 with 1410 viewsbluelagos

Do I take the lack of comment/threads as the Twtderatti being happy with the roadmap/way forward?

Or just a weariness for all thing CV?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The roadmap out of lockdown on 09:56 - Feb 23 with 1210 viewsm14_blue

Seems fairly sensible to me, surprisingly.

Also feel much better now knowing there are dates to work towards, even if they’re not set in stone.
The roadmap out of lockdown on 09:57 - Feb 23 with 1212 viewsWallingford_Boy

Why would anyone not be happy?

Its a very positive step towards normality.

Some idiots will say "ooohhh its too cautious", but as he said himself last night, better that than risk lives.

Bloody amazing effort on the vacincation front!

RIP Sir Bobby

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:01 - Feb 23 with 1187 viewsSteve_M

It's both broadly sensible from Johnson but also a little rushed in that the successive loosenings of restrictions have some shorter gaps - 8 to 29 March for example - between them. On top of that people are going to see family, probably indoors, whatever the regulation say.

From (rightly) stating that the easing of restrictions will be lead by "data not dates" the use of indicative dates has done the opposite too I think.

There's certainly weariness, especially at the moment when both case and death rates are decreasing but everyone sensible knows it's too soon to relax, and June seems a long way off at the moment - four months ago I was just back from a week in Scotland and the Autumn restrictions were just coming in.

I read this earlier, and thought it interesting both on the vaccination data we're now seeing and the re-opening:

https://unherd.com/2021/02/should-we-vaccinate-children/

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:08 - Feb 23 with 1172 viewsFixed_It

Schools reopening in one hit seems a bit unrealistic due to the logistics of testing, although at least teachers won't have to be teaching two audiences as they are at the moment - those in school and those at home. Some sort of prioritising of vaccinations for school staff would have made sense if that is the approach they intend to take.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:13 - Feb 23 with 1142 viewshomer_123

On the face of it, reasonably sensible and the balance that the PM has to strike seems about right.

It's not perfect but it won't ever be.

The question though is how they react if things go tits up after re-opening schools. That's not to say I am expecting things to but we are bound to see an increase in cases - I'll be very interested to see how things are handled at that point.

If we do see another hefty surge, will they (correctly) close schools again and move to considering vaccinating children? Or, as I fear, they work on the basis that if they NHS can cope, leave it?

There is still a lot of people not vaccinated and if we see another surge and there is a lot more virus in the community, then it greatly increases the risks of mutations etc. So, going to be an interesting few months.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:17 - Feb 23 with 1132 viewsbluelagos

The roadmap out of lockdown on 09:57 - Feb 23 by Wallingford_Boy

Why would anyone not be happy?

Its a very positive step towards normality.

Some idiots will say "ooohhh its too cautious", but as he said himself last night, better that than risk lives.

Bloody amazing effort on the vacincation front!

Who would anyone not be happy?

Small business facing bankruptcy.
Employees of the above.
People missing out on seeing ageing or dying relatives.
People wanting to get married.
People missing gigs/holidays/going to football etc.
People seeing their children struggling with a lack of social interaction.
People missing seeing their grandkids.

Lots of legitimate reasons why many people will want a faster lockdown ending.

As it happens I think we need to be cautious. But there are lots of legitimate arguments for wanting to see lockdown end asap.

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:17 - Feb 23 with 1129 viewshype313

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:13 - Feb 23 by homer_123

On the face of it, reasonably sensible and the balance that the PM has to strike seems about right.

It's not perfect but it won't ever be.

The question though is how they react if things go tits up after re-opening schools. That's not to say I am expecting things to but we are bound to see an increase in cases - I'll be very interested to see how things are handled at that point.

If we do see another hefty surge, will they (correctly) close schools again and move to considering vaccinating children? Or, as I fear, they work on the basis that if they NHS can cope, leave it?

There is still a lot of people not vaccinated and if we see another surge and there is a lot more virus in the community, then it greatly increases the risks of mutations etc. So, going to be an interesting few months.

Think Whitty mentioned last night that they have factored the R rate to increase slightly after the school reopen.

The one thing that wasn't mentioned was what if the rates drop off a cliff, Vaccinations are going through the roof and we have 3 cases and 30 deaths, but still have to wait 5 weeks before the next stages?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:23 - Feb 23 with 1108 viewsWallingford_Boy

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:17 - Feb 23 by bluelagos

Employees of the above.

As it happens I think we need to be cautious. But there are lots of legitimate arguments for wanting to see lockdown end asap.

This is all happening over a few months, they are hardly going to say "right everyone do want you want NOW".

Can't go much quicker!

We all want lockdown ended ASAP, but just because people are missing people isn't really a good enough reason to ignore the science!

We don't want to be make in this mess AGAIN.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 10:24]

RIP Sir Bobby

Login to get fewer ads

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:30 - Feb 23 with 1073 viewshomer_123

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:17 - Feb 23 by hype313

Think Whitty mentioned last night that they have factored the R rate to increase slightly after the school reopen.

The one thing that wasn't mentioned was what if the rates drop off a cliff, Vaccinations are going through the roof and we have 3 cases and 30 deaths, but still have to wait 5 weeks before the next stages?

What a great situation we'd be in!

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:34 - Feb 23 with 1058 viewshype313

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:30 - Feb 23 by homer_123

What a great situation we'd be in!

Well, yes, but can you imagine the outcry if that were the case and businesses were going to the wall because we had to wait.

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:36 - Feb 23 with 1050 viewsthebooks

I think so. My only concern is all kids going back at once. It’s better that the govt. isn’t doing the whole macho this will definitely happen thing.

Does throw the whole "Eat Out to Help Out" thing into sharp relief and what a mess we made last time.
The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:40 - Feb 23 with 1046 viewsIpswichKnight

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:17 - Feb 23 by hype313

Vaccinations will be down this week and possibly start of next, supply issues have been the cause of the drop ( though government was aware that this would happen). We should see a massive ramp up of vaccinations though from 2nd week of March. April we will start to receive the Moderna vaccine as well and possibly the one shot Johnson and Johnson too.

Schools will have been back for a month when they break up for Easter that will not only give a smal fire break but also a chance to see what the data looks like and make a decision to see if they were right to re-open schools.
The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:41 - Feb 23 with 1041 viewsbluelagos

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:23 - Feb 23 by Wallingford_Boy

This is all happening over a few months, they are hardly going to say "right everyone do want you want NOW".

Can't go much quicker!

We all want lockdown ended ASAP, but just because people are missing people isn't really a good enough reason to ignore the science!

We don't want to be make in this mess AGAIN.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 10:24]

The arguments for ending lockdown are a lot stronger than "missing people"...

E.G. The lockdown is causing increased suicides, eating disorders, mental health issues, rates of domestic violence.

I think on balance we need to stay in lockdown, but also think we need to be addressing the negative aspects of lockdown asap.

The banning of visitors to care homes even for window visits atm is just one small example of how the lockdown is criminalising completely harmless activities with no benefits in terms of controlling the spread of the virus.

Is it a blunt instrument that is causing way more harm than is necessary. What is necessary I would argue is limiting indoor physical contacts (Where the virus spreads) rather than say criminalising people seeking to comfort a distressed elderly relative, as is the case at present.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 10:42]

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:41 - Feb 23 with 1040 viewsGlasgowBlue

Employees of the above.

Not being able to open until the middle of May (at the earliest) added to already having been closed for five months of 2020 and two months of 2021, really is squeaky bum time in terms of whether my business is still viable.

But I’d rather be in this position than opening too early, only to face another long shutdown which would definitely sink me.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:46 - Feb 23 with 1015 viewsbluelagos

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:41 - Feb 23 by GlasgowBlue

Not being able to open until the middle of May (at the earliest) added to already having been closed for five months of 2020 and two months of 2021, really is squeaky bum time in terms of whether my business is still viable.

But I’d rather be in this position than opening too early, only to face another long shutdown which would definitely sink me.

Highlights the need of supporting the many businesses through to the end of lockdown.

Then we all have to pay for it one way or another - but that's a debate for next year I guess.

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:55 - Feb 23 with 997 viewshomer_123

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:34 - Feb 23 by hype313

Well, yes, but can you imagine the outcry if that were the case and businesses were going to the wall because we had to wait.

It's an almost impossible task though isn't it.

Any evidence we could have come out quicker is going to jumped on but in all honestly, we have seen first hand what has happened when we haven't been sensible with restrictions.

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:57 - Feb 23 with 988 viewsGlasgowBlue

The roadmap out of lockdown on 10:46 - Feb 23 by bluelagos

Highlights the need of supporting the many businesses through to the end of lockdown.

Then we all have to pay for it one way or another - but that's a debate for next year I guess.

The support for my industry so far has been fantastic. But with another three months tacked in to what was only supposed to be until the end of February necessitates more financial support.

I agree with Kier Starmer. Yesterday’s announcement should have been followed up by a statement from the Chancellor today. They must have an idea of what they will offer so why keep business owners sweating until next week’s budget?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:02 - Feb 23 with 953 viewsipswich78

My views on it is that I think the government were quite bold in giving specific dates in May / June - that's a long way off and things could change massively.

I would've been more comfortable if they have just said early summer or similar as people will jump on those dates if things change.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:03 - Feb 23 with 942 viewshype313

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:02 - Feb 23 by ipswich78

My views on it is that I think the government were quite bold in giving specific dates in May / June - that's a long way off and things could change massively.

I would've been more comfortable if they have just said early summer or similar as people will jump on those dates if things change.

Also, they stated that would be driven by data not dates, yet all we were given last night were dates

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:05 - Feb 23 with 932 viewsipswich78

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:03 - Feb 23 by hype313

Also, they stated that would be driven by data not dates, yet all we were given last night were dates

Without appearing to be negative i'll be absolutely stunned if that roadmap plays out as planned without any bumps along the way.

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:06 - Feb 23 with 931 viewsbluelagos

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:02 - Feb 23 by ipswich78

There is a worry - that they become a hostage to fortune by putting the dates out there.

The flipside is that business needs dates to work towards (Breweries need to brew the beer and distribute it to pubs) to get open as/when.

Suppose the "Not before June 21st" works as it gives people hope/a focus - but not everyone with hear the "Not before" part...

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:06 - Feb 23 with 931 viewsStokieBlue

Employees of the above.

I see the holiday industry are bombarding people with emails and adverts today for foreign holidays. The dates for that aren't fixed in the roadmap but getting people to book now is applying pressure to the government, especially whilst we don't even know how others countries vaccination programmes are going to look.

It's either going to make for a lot of disappointed people (who might struggle to get their money back) if it's not allowed or if they can pressurise the government it's going to make for a situation in which expert advice is going to be sidelined.

SB
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 11:08]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:07 - Feb 23 with 922 viewsStokieBlue

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:03 - Feb 23 by hype313

With the large caveat that the dates will change if the data changes.

I think it's fair enough to have a timetable with dates but people need to acknowledge that it's not set in stone (which some won't).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:07 - Feb 23 with 917 viewsipswich78

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:06 - Feb 23 by bluelagos

There is a worry - that they become a hostage to fortune by putting the dates out there.

The flipside is that business needs dates to work towards (Breweries need to brew the beer and distribute it to pubs) to get open as/when.

Suppose the "Not before June 21st" works as it gives people hope/a focus - but not everyone with hear the "Not before" part...

I am hoping that their messaging and dates were purposefully cautious, so things may get better sooner - as you say many people will not hear 'Not before'.

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:08 - Feb 23 with 905 viewsbluelagos

The roadmap out of lockdown on 11:07 - Feb 23 by StokieBlue

With the large caveat that the dates will change if the data changes.

I think it's fair enough to have a timetable with dates but people need to acknowledge that it's not set in stone (which some won't).

SB

Said the same above - some won't hear the "Not before" part of "Not before June 21st"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024