Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... 07:59 - Apr 1 with 1226 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

....and we send them McDonald's, Coca-Cola and other assorted crap.

"Dmitry Medvedev, who served as president in Russia from 2008 to 2012 and is now deputy secretary of Russia’s security council, has issued a warning about Russian agricultural exports, saying in the future they will only go to friends.

Reuters quotes him saying he would like to outline “some simple but important points about food security in Russia,” given the sanctions imposed.

“We will only be supplying food and agriculture products to our friends,” Medvedev said on social media. “Fortunately we have plenty of them, and they are not in Europe or North America at all.”

Agriculture supplies to “friends” will be both in roubles and their national currency in agreed proportion, Medvedev said.

Russia already banned most Western food imports in 2014 after it annexed Crimea from Ukraine."

This is only just beginning!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 08:35 - Apr 1 with 1163 viewsChurchman

According to the EU Commission in 2021 EU Russia trade in 2021 was:

Total trade in goods between the EU and Russia amounted to €257.5 billion. The EU’s imports were worth €158.5 billion and were dominated by fuel and mining products — especially mineral fuels (€98.9 billion, 62%), wood (€3.16 billion, 2.0%), iron and steel (€7.4 billion, 4.7%), fertilisers (1.78 bn, 1.1%). The EU’s exports in 2021 totalled €99.0 billion. They were led by machinery and equipment (€19.5 billion, 19.7%), motor vehicles (€8.95 billion, 9%), pharmaceuticals (€8.1 billion, 8.1%), electrical equipment and machinery (€7.57 billion, 7.6%), as well as plastics (€4.38 billion, 4.3%).

In other words, it’s a lot more complex than McDonalds and junk food. Russia will be able to exploit its Middle East influence, Ukraine when it’s finished its war and of course it’s best friends India and China - a huge market. For the west? America isn’t dependent on Russia for anything. The EU is and so is the impoverished U.K. there’s going to be a lot of realigning in the world.

This war serves no purpose for anyone other than that animal Putin.
Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 09:29 - Apr 1 with 1103 viewsnodge_blue

Russia is getting more and more like Nazi Germany as time goes on.

Totally deluded. Politicians trotting out that the special operation is going to plan as they don't bomb civilians.

Total shut down of any dissenting voices.

Oddly what I think will hurt them as much as anything is their exclusion from most sports. Especially football.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 09:41 - Apr 1 with 1070 viewsLord_Lucan

What I struggle with is the lunacy that so called intelligent governments in Europe have been relying on an unstable, volatile country for their energy.

It really does beggar belief.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 09:49 - Apr 1 with 1047 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 09:41 - Apr 1 by Lord_Lucan

What I struggle with is the lunacy that so called intelligent governments in Europe have been relying on an unstable, volatile country for their energy.

It's almost like global policy has been determined by transnational multinationals in the short term interests of capital over sustainability and security.

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 10:04 - Apr 1 with 1027 viewsChurchman

I agree. U.K. politicians taking money of dodgy Russian billionaires beggars belief too. Didn’t one of them say he was getting donations because the Russian bloke liked the tories? Jeez you couldn’t make it up.

As for energy, the German policy of trying to tie Putins crowd in economically while powering their economy with cheap oil and gas had a certain logic to it but with a little scrutiny it really was a case of plonking one’s head in a lion’s mouth. Not only that, they could see what was coming years ago with Crimea, Salisbury and the other incidents, but shut their eyes to it. It’s nuts.

I hope countries learn from this disaster, but history seems to be telling us politicians don’t learn much at all.
Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 12:18 - Apr 1 with 919 viewsJ2BLUE

But that will hit share prices! Send the army in!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 13:22 - Apr 1 with 857 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 09:49 - Apr 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

It's almost like global policy has been determined by transnational multinationals in the short term interests of capital over sustainability and security.

There was me thinking energy security was the responsibility of government. What do I pay all those taxes for?

The Polish have been warning their neighbours for years not to build reliance on Russian gas imports, alas they were ignored by the Germans et al.
Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 17:04 - Apr 1 with 778 viewsRob88

Cheap isn't it.

Just like we rely on the Chinese for their cheap products.

The government does have to take some accountability but they also only pander to public opinion.
Login to get fewer ads

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 17:06 - Apr 1 with 769 viewsGlasgowBlue

The energy imported from Russia to Europe has actually gone up since the beginning of the war.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 17:54 - Apr 1 with 714 viewsKievthegreat

There is a logic to it (beyond JUST being the cheap and easy option).

The idea was that by Europe being reliant on Russian gas, and Russia being reliant on Europe as customers, it should have made war impractical for everyone. Obviously it hasn't worked, but while everyone loses short term (Russia loses money and Europe deals with chronic shortages), medium to longer term Europe will wean itself off fossil fuels far quicker than if climate change was the only driver. Russia now needs to pivot it's economy off of oil and gas while under huge technological and economic restrictions from the west.
Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 18:01 - Apr 1 with 695 viewsRob88

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 17:54 - Apr 1 by Kievthegreat

The idea was that by Europe being reliant on Russian gas, and Russia being reliant on Europe as customers, it should have made war impractical for everyone. Obviously it hasn't worked, but while everyone loses short term (Russia loses money and Europe deals with chronic shortages), medium to longer term Europe will wean itself off fossil fuels far quicker than if climate change was the only driver. Russia now needs to pivot it's economy off of oil and gas while under huge technological and economic restrictions from the west.

I think Putin wanted leverage so he could do what he wanted (as he is now) and the West wanted cheap energy as politically it makes things far easier rather than dealing with the pi$$ed off public as they actually have to pay closer to a true market value for their energy.
Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 18:05 - Apr 1 with 687 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 17:54 - Apr 1 by Kievthegreat

I think you will find that Poland, India etc will have some appealing cheap 'carbon capture' (ha ha!)coal available and China plus many others will happily take Russian oil and gas.

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 18:10 - Apr 1 with 669 viewsKievthegreat

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 18:01 - Apr 1 by Rob88

I think Putin wanted leverage so he could do what he wanted (as he is now) and the West wanted cheap energy as politically it makes things far easier rather than dealing with the pi$$ed off public as they actually have to pay closer to a true market value for their energy.

Problem is that Putin has used his leverage and overplayed it. Europe will have some real pain to deal with, next winter could be especially hard, but I don't think the situation can return to where Europe relies on Russian gas. Putin has shown there is zero strategic benefit to Europe by placating Russia any longer.

There is of course one way to take the edge off the rising energy prices by taxing the record profits that energy companies have been creaming the last 12 months, but the trend of rising prices is much easier to swallow when a significant reason is a fascist dictator invading democratic countries on their borders. Much harder to endure will be shortages!
Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 18:25 - Apr 1 with 632 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 18:10 - Apr 1 by Kievthegreat

Problem is that Putin has used his leverage and overplayed it. Europe will have some real pain to deal with, next winter could be especially hard, but I don't think the situation can return to where Europe relies on Russian gas. Putin has shown there is zero strategic benefit to Europe by placating Russia any longer.

There is of course one way to take the edge off the rising energy prices by taxing the record profits that energy companies have been creaming the last 12 months, but the trend of rising prices is much easier to swallow when a significant reason is a fascist dictator invading democratic countries on their borders. Much harder to endure will be shortages!

Putin (and China) may well feel that the end of dollar hegemony is a win whatever.

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 20:34 - Apr 1 with 537 viewsLord_Lucan

Russia sends the 'West' gas and grain.... on 18:05 - Apr 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

I think you will find that Poland, India etc will have some appealing cheap 'carbon capture' (ha ha!)coal available and China plus many others will happily take Russian oil and gas.

China gets most of its coal from Indonesia.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024