Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A little bit of perspective... 04:22 - Aug 22 with 1751 viewsIPS_wich

I would suggest that about 80% of our fans wanted MM gone by the end of last year. I stuck by him until pretty close to the end; only really coming to the conclusion that he had to move on at about the 3/4 point last season. Since Evans came in we've appointed three managers who had each managed to get teams out of the Championship into Premier League - not one of them succeeded. Evans came out and said we were going to try a different and riskier approach - which most of us agreed was the right way to go.

We're now four (discounting Exeter) games in and some people seem to be ready to jump ship - which is mind boggling!!

We are one of the most financially weak teams in the second tier and have only had five seasons in the top flight in the last 30 years. Yes we have an amazing history, but then so do Huddersfield, Preston and Blackpool. I've been following Town since I was six years old in 1982, but even at that point the Robson era was history. We have no god given right to success and need get some perspective.

We have been in the top two tiers of English Football since 1957. In that time, each of the following 39 teams (who have all played in the Premier League at one time) have spent time in the third tier. This includes seven teams that have won the top league title since we did in 60-61.

This season has to be about change, laying the foundations for our next push to the Premier League and having a club we can be proud of again; not over-reactionary BS and panic. It's tiresome and totally counter-productive. Get down to Portman Rd, sing your heart out and let's get our Ipswich back.

Sunderland
Wigan
Blackburn
Charlton
Portsmouth
Bradford
Blackpool
Oldham
Wimbledon
Sheff Utd
Bolton
Swindon
Coventry
Wolves
Bournemouth
Sheff Wed
Huddersfield
Brighton
Southampton
Norwich
Leeds
Leicester
Swansea
Nottm Forest
Hull
QPR
Reading
Cardiff
Stoke
Burnley
Man City
Watford
Fulham
Birmingham
WBA
Middlesboro
Derby
Palace
Aston Villa
A little bit of perspective... on 05:30 - Aug 22 with 1686 viewsWestover

Good post.
A little bit of perspective... on 06:10 - Aug 22 with 1638 viewsBenters2

Its football people want to win.
A little bit of perspective... on 06:46 - Aug 22 with 1601 viewssotd78

Good post. Start judging ten games in. Start worrying twenty games in. Expect to stay up. Be glad if we finish four off the bottom. Then we can have a foundation.
Look not too long ago at Palace who escaped relegation from this division on the last day with seven minutes left. Then got promoted with exciting youth.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

A little bit of perspective... on 07:06 - Aug 22 with 1554 viewsTractorWood

We won the league in 61-62. Please edit it before PJH sees it!

I don't disagree. If we did go down I just think of Sheffield United who really struggled getting back up again despite being seemingly the biggest club in league one.

Despite Evans' contribution to the club, which we can all agree is significant, we have drifted financially. MM helped cover this by man motivation and ruthlessly playing a brand of football that's was totally results driven to the detriment of most other facets of the club.

I think we'll struggle this season because our squad as is, just isn't good enough. Skuse and Chambers are approaching 33 and playing every game. Chabolah, Donacien and Edwards look very promising but the rest look like pretty decent league one players. Compare that to the strength and depth of even the most average championship teams and we are well behind in terms of quality. I appreciate we have Downes, Huws and Dozzell who may be worth their weights in gold but they need to get some game time asap. These are the same players we were bemoaning injury to in August last year.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 7:17]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

A little bit of perspective... on 07:16 - Aug 22 with 1518 viewsSamWhiteUK

A little bit of perspective... on 06:46 - Aug 22 by sotd78

Good post. Start judging ten games in. Start worrying twenty games in. Expect to stay up. Be glad if we finish four off the bottom. Then we can have a foundation.
Look not too long ago at Palace who escaped relegation from this division on the last day with seven minutes left. Then got promoted with exciting youth.

And Palace finished 11th in one of the biggest leagues in the world after 7 games lost and no goals. Things happen
A little bit of perspective... on 07:34 - Aug 22 with 1474 viewsBloomBlue

I would suggest 90% of our fans want to win and really don't care less about the style we play. Trouble is they like to sound trendy and talk about pass and move, moan about hoof football is from a dinasour age, and actually too scare to admit winning to them is more important then style.
A little bit of perspective... on 07:36 - Aug 22 with 1470 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I like your style. Good post.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

A little bit of perspective... on 09:32 - Aug 22 with 1350 viewstractorshark

A little bit of perspective... on 07:16 - Aug 22 by SamWhiteUK

And Palace finished 11th in one of the biggest leagues in the world after 7 games lost and no goals. Things happen

Not sure that works as Palace sacked their manager after 5 games.
Are you suggesting we do the same?
Login to get fewer ads

A little bit of perspective... on 09:46 - Aug 22 with 1329 viewsMullet

How many people have called for Hurst to go? I've not seen a serious suggestion, so what kind of numbers are we talking?

I think we have to acknowledge when, why and how these changes aren't working though. This emotive talk of "faith" that seems so accusatory and pre-emptive isn't helpful at all. Hurst has made radical changes and at the minute none of them are paying off.

Debating how that happens seems to be being typecast as treachery or more.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

A little bit of perspective... on 09:56 - Aug 22 with 1304 viewstractorshark

A little bit of perspective... on 09:46 - Aug 22 by Mullet

How many people have called for Hurst to go? I've not seen a serious suggestion, so what kind of numbers are we talking?

I think we have to acknowledge when, why and how these changes aren't working though. This emotive talk of "faith" that seems so accusatory and pre-emptive isn't helpful at all. Hurst has made radical changes and at the minute none of them are paying off.

Debating how that happens seems to be being typecast as treachery or more.

Spot on. Just because you’re not convinced by our start of the season doesn’t mean you want Hurst to be fired.
It’s a debate, it’s not being overly critical of the new manager.
If you dare to mention McCarthy or draw any kind of comparison, you get the ‘Move On’ brigade up in arms.
It’s just a debate, don’t join it if you don’t like it.
I like Hurst, I supported his appointment and McCarthy’s exit but I’m sure he’s feeling a bit of pressure himself right now.
It is a transition, a work in progress etc but no win in 5 probably wasn’t in his script either.
A little bit of perspective... on 10:10 - Aug 22 with 1279 viewsNo9

&, in England, football has changed to the point where it is no longer a sporting challenge
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024