Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NEW YORK........... 14:48 - Jan 4 with 4347 viewsOsborneOneNil

Quick question for anyone that's been, what part of the City is best to be based for a 4/5 day break?

Also, I wanted to go in November (anniversary), but I read October is a good time to visit. Any opinions on that would be good too.

Cheers all!
NEW YORK........... on 14:51 - Jan 4 with 4326 viewshype313

Manhattan is decent, plenty of places to stay, obviously if you go in November it might be pricey due to Thanksgiving, but you will then have the holiday spirit around the place.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

NEW YORK........... on 14:56 - Jan 4 with 4308 viewsitfcjoe

What are you going there for? As in interests with your missus....

If doing the tourist stuff (9/11 memorial and all that) then I'd be tempted to stay as close to Downtown as you can - a bit more relaxed time then head up towards Central Park (from my experience)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

NEW YORK........... on 14:59 - Jan 4 with 4284 viewsNewcyBlue

I went ashore to New York once. We had docked in Newark.

I was wandering down some street and was stopped by the biggest black guy I had ever seen. He told me I was obviously lost and should turn round and quickly. Turns out I was walking down Harlem.

Not that that will be much help to, enjoy your holiday!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

NEW YORK........... on 15:00 - Jan 4 with 4275 viewsartsbossbeard

Def Manhattan, all the sights (reasonably) walkable too.

Take a wander over Brooklyn Bridge and have a pizza at Grimaldi's. Life changing experience.

Also, there's a rooftop terrace bar over in Brooklyn that you can sit in and look back over the Manhattan skyline.

We went Feb/Mar time and it was snowy & v cold.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

NEW YORK........... on 15:03 - Jan 4 with 4259 viewschiddley

I went just before Xmas. Was brilliant. I can recommend a great small hotel close to 5th avenue and central park.
Soho area and Greenwich village are the best places if your trendy and like boutique shops and funky restaurants.
Best burgers at "the burger joint"
Tacombi for the best mexican food

Enjoy

Poll: The best joke petition of the last few days

NEW YORK........... on 15:07 - Jan 4 with 4235 viewsbluefunk

October is great, went in 2016 sunshine for 6 of the 7 days we were there.

If its your first trip (?) then difficult to recommend anything other than Midtown - although that is traditional tourist territory its central for all the things you will want to do - Rockefeller Centre, Empire State, Central Park, museums, and easy subway rides to lower Manhattan, Brooklyn etc for all the rest
NEW YORK........... on 15:08 - Jan 4 with 4227 viewsCambonbleu

The Chelsea area of Manhatten is a good location - you've got the highline there so plenty of easy walking access. Times Square / Central Park & Rockerfeller a few blocks north of there (in walking distance), near Empire State also.

Equally we stayed in the Yotel in 2015 and that was good, 2 block from Times Square and fairly well located

Poll: How many Season Ticket holders will ITFC have next season?
Blog: Why All the Positivity?

NEW YORK........... on 15:21 - Jan 4 with 4155 viewsBOjK

I'd say Pretty much anwhere in Manhattan is good, provided you aren't North of the Northern edge of Central Park.

You are getting a little far from the action up there.

We stayed right on the Southern edge of the Park and that was fine.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Login to get fewer ads

NEW YORK........... on 15:27 - Jan 4 with 4121 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

NEW YORK........... on 14:59 - Jan 4 by NewcyBlue

I went ashore to New York once. We had docked in Newark.

I was wandering down some street and was stopped by the biggest black guy I had ever seen. He told me I was obviously lost and should turn round and quickly. Turns out I was walking down Harlem.

Not that that will be much help to, enjoy your holiday!

You'd obviously gone "Across 110th Street" :-)
NEW YORK........... on 15:29 - Jan 4 with 4109 viewsMJallday

i stayed in broadway/clinton (used to be known as hells kitchen)

lovely area

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

NEW YORK........... on 15:32 - Jan 4 with 4100 viewsOsborneOneNil

NEW YORK........... on 14:56 - Jan 4 by itfcjoe

What are you going there for? As in interests with your missus....

If doing the tourist stuff (9/11 memorial and all that) then I'd be tempted to stay as close to Downtown as you can - a bit more relaxed time then head up towards Central Park (from my experience)

Well, it's her 40th and our 10 year anniversary within a week (3-10 Nov). So yeah, tourist type break.
NEW YORK........... on 15:35 - Jan 4 with 4088 viewsOsborneOneNil

NEW YORK........... on 15:07 - Jan 4 by bluefunk

October is great, went in 2016 sunshine for 6 of the 7 days we were there.

If its your first trip (?) then difficult to recommend anything other than Midtown - although that is traditional tourist territory its central for all the things you will want to do - Rockefeller Centre, Empire State, Central Park, museums, and easy subway rides to lower Manhattan, Brooklyn etc for all the rest

Ok cool......yeah I've read November can get a bit chilly at night, so Oct maybe best.
NEW YORK........... on 15:36 - Jan 4 with 4084 viewsOsborneOneNil

Cheers all!!
NEW YORK........... on 15:58 - Jan 4 with 4029 viewsElderGrizzly

If it is just for Touristy stuff, stay in Manhattan and it is easy to then get around using the Subway.

I've stayed in ROW NYC which is 1 block from Times Square and if you book there (or any hotel with BA and combine with flight) you normally get 1 or 2 nights worth of discount thrown in.
NEW YORK........... on 16:01 - Jan 4 with 4012 viewsReuser_is_God

NEW YORK........... on 15:32 - Jan 4 by OsborneOneNil

Well, it's her 40th and our 10 year anniversary within a week (3-10 Nov). So yeah, tourist type break.

You a pizza fan?

If so go to Kestes in Greenwich.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

NEW YORK........... on 17:07 - Jan 4 with 3892 viewsbluefunk

NEW YORK........... on 15:36 - Jan 4 by OsborneOneNil

Cheers all!!

sent a PM with more info

Enjoy
NEW YORK........... on 17:21 - Jan 4 with 3850 viewshorsehollerer

NEW YORK........... on 17:07 - Jan 4 by bluefunk

sent a PM with more info

Enjoy

Bear in mind that keeping to Times Square/Midtown is like building a trip to London around Leicester Square/Piccadilly Circus. Yes, you need to do these things, but everything else is a better experience.
Much of the appeal of NYC is walking around and watching, seeing, feeling, taking it all in.
I've lived here more than 18 years, so PM me if you need any specific recs for any type of food, especially my expert fields - pizza and burgers!

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

NEW YORK........... on 17:34 - Jan 4 with 3820 viewsgreenkingtone

New York is an easy place to get around. Use the dedicated bus from JFK to Grand Central Terminal and the same on the way back. It only costs a few dollars. I recommend The Bedford at 118 East 40th Street. www.bedfordhotel.com

Its a few minutes walk from where the bus drops you. You can safely book online. Six nights cost us $1234 including taxes. This price is ten years old. The rooms are quiet and loads of sights within walking distance.

See Top of the Rock at night and Empire State in the day.

Enjoy the trip.
NEW YORK........... on 12:09 - Jan 5 with 3595 viewsOsborneOneNil

NEW YORK........... on 17:07 - Jan 4 by bluefunk

sent a PM with more info

Enjoy

Cheers for that PM, massively appreciate it.
NEW YORK........... on 22:22 - Jan 5 with 3485 viewsIpswich1984

NEW YORK........... on 15:58 - Jan 4 by ElderGrizzly

If it is just for Touristy stuff, stay in Manhattan and it is easy to then get around using the Subway.

I've stayed in ROW NYC which is 1 block from Times Square and if you book there (or any hotel with BA and combine with flight) you normally get 1 or 2 nights worth of discount thrown in.

Fully recommend booking through BA, done both our trips there, last one was thanksgiving 2015 and it cost us £1100 for 9 nights in midtown & flights.

Loved the area around Downtown and a visit to the 9/11 museum ( although you have to ignore the idiots taking selfies with the crushed fire truck). One World Trade Centre was amazing for the view it gave. Another poster said go to Rockefeller at night, would go in the day as at night you can't see the view of Central Park.

Not sure if you are planning any sports but you'll get the NFL & NBA (if you go in November) that time of year, both well worth going to.

Poll: Should there be a lap of honour after the Sheffield United game?

NEW YORK........... on 01:27 - Jan 6 with 3431 viewsbluepirate

Hi, I've lived in New Jersey about 30 minutes from NY for the past 12 years, always willing to provide advice.

If you're staying a few days, anywhere is good enough and you can get around easily on the subway. Manhattan is obviously the place to be, but Brooklyn is very trendy now. Also, just a short underground ride to Jersey is Hoboken, a hidden gem for bars and restaurants, there is a W hotel there too which is very nice and usually occupied by national teams and NFL teams when they play at MetLife. Weehawken and Jersey City, also a small hop on the underground (known as PATH) are easiil to get to NYC with good hotels and great views of NYC skyline.

If possible, come October. It can still be warm, and November can be brutally cold at times.

NY is an unbelievable place, and offers everything to everyone. Enjoy!!!
NEW YORK........... on 06:33 - Jan 6 with 3389 viewsBluespeed225

Best stuff, bar wise, is below 14th st.
NEW YORK........... on 07:22 - Jan 6 with 3359 viewsflashblue

If you can afford it (and not many can) I fully recommend flying the BA 1 or 3 from London City. Immigration at Shannon and then straight out at JFK. Great way to go!

If something's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.
Poll: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024