Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England - a call to be more adventurous 08:07 - Mar 30 with 1089 viewsunstableblue

A really good article from Henry Winter on England’s prospects and a need to move away from going too defensive and solid

He’s promoting a 4-3-3

With Rice, mount and foden, supporting sterling, Kane and Rashford?! For the championship in the summer

I think Grealish needs to come in, and that foden, rice, mount is young and perhaps lacking some steel.

At least as Ipswich falter again, we’ve got a BIG England game against Poland to get excited about!!

Although Bristol Rovers has now been made MASSIVE - the last chance saloon, now or never

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

England - a call to be more adventurous on 08:13 - Mar 30 with 1047 viewsMetal_Hacker

Personally I think Mount has been stand out and has played the last 7 consecutive England games

For me , he's the driving force in that midfield that makes things happen in all fairness

For a guy so young and "inexperienced" he's superb

Poll: If it were one or the other

England - a call to be more adventurous on 08:27 - Mar 30 with 1013 viewsJon_456

Id go for Henderson/Rice holding with Mount and Grealish either side. Kane up top with Sterling left and Foden right.

In recent times we always have too many defensive players in CM, pure speed in those attacking wide roles and then struggle to create when teams sit in. Having good ball players like Grealish and Mount in CM with the option of Sterling with pace on one side and Foden with his skill on the other would really give teams something to think about.
England - a call to be more adventurous on 09:00 - Mar 30 with 969 viewsRadlett_blue

"A really good article from Henry Winter".
Not often I see that phrase. I think he's a pompous fool.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

England - a call to be more adventurous on 09:18 - Mar 30 with 935 viewshype313

England - a call to be more adventurous on 09:00 - Mar 30 by Radlett_blue

Yep, can't stand the bloke, but occasionally he does write some decent pieces.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

England - a call to be more adventurous on 09:27 - Mar 30 with 905 viewsHerbivore

Shouldn't we be going two up top?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

England - a call to be more adventurous on 09:28 - Mar 30 with 910 viewsSomethingBlue

This one from Jacob Steinberg is far shrewder: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/mar/28/southgate-should-ignore-en

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

England - a call to be more adventurous on 09:53 - Mar 30 with 856 viewsCoco

England - a call to be more adventurous on 09:00 - Mar 30 by Radlett_blue

haven't read the article but does he shoehorn a mention of Frank Lampard in it?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

England - a call to be more adventurous on 11:37 - Mar 30 with 811 viewsBlueBadger

England - a call to be more adventurous on 09:28 - Mar 30 by SomethingBlue

This one from Jacob Steinberg is far shrewder: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/mar/28/southgate-should-ignore-en

You could replace the words 'Gareth' and 'Southgate' with 'Mick' and 'McCarthy' and this article would still ring true...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

England - a call to be more adventurous on 11:51 - Mar 30 with 795 viewsclive_baker

I do feel like the England team get so much unnecessary stick. I saw people complaining that we only scored 5 against San Marino. A second string England string who didn't get out of 1st gear, and why would they. I think there's bigger questions around why those games are taking place at all, but from England's perspective we can only beat who we're up against. I saw Pope has kept 6 clean sheets in his 6 appearances for England, and only faced 7 shots. We're so consistently dominant against the lesser sides. Worth noting that Spain scraped an injury time winner against Georgia on Sunday.

The real tests are against anyone in the top 20 and I don't think the qualifying helps us by playing so rarely against quality opposition. I still think we've got a sniff at the Euro's though. It's one of those where if we get out of our group comfortably, I can see us going far, but it's not a given. That opening game against Croatia will really set the tone.

Southgate reckons he knows his team for that. If I had to have a guess I would go with:

Pickford

Walker
Shaw
Maguire
Stones

Henderson
Mount
Foden

Sterling
Rashford
Kane

Rice & Grealish have definitely got a role to play, and Sancho off the bench. Trippier maybe for Walker but I would go with Walker. TAA doesn't seem to be in favour. Pope or Pickford will be interesting but I think he'll stick with Pick.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

England - a call to be more adventurous on 12:19 - Mar 30 with 766 viewsIpswichKnight

Pope does not as comfortable as Pickford with the ball and I think that is very important for Southgate.

we are assembling a decent set of centre halves but we do not need to be playing 2 holding midfielders against most of the opposition in our qualifying group.

We need to work out who plays wide on the right, we looked at our most threatening with Sancho and Hudson-Odoi out there.

We also have a glut of good attacking midfielders in Grealish, Maddison, Mount, Foden and Barnes.
England - a call to be more adventurous on 12:34 - Mar 30 with 756 viewsrickw

That would be an entertaining team, I can't see it though.
The issue is the last 2 tournaments have been won by France and Portugal playing defensive football and relying on their stars doing a bit of magic.

I fear Southgate will play something like this
__________Pickford
___Walker__Stones___Maguire
Trippier__Henderson__Rice__Shaw
Sterling_________________Mount
____________Kane
It's commonly called 3-4-3 but it's more of a 5-2-3 with 2 holding midfielders. If Henderson doesn't make it, then I'd expect Phillips to come in (who's plays far too many sideways and backwards passes for England)

If it was me I'd for for something like:
___________Pope
TAA___Stones__Maguire___Shaw
_____Henderson___Rice
Sterling____Grealish____Rashford
___________Kane
My team is harsh on Mount who's been very good for England for a while, I would be tempted to try him in Henderson's position if he's doubtful

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

England - a call to be more adventurous on 12:42 - Mar 30 with 735 viewsclive_baker

England - a call to be more adventurous on 12:34 - Mar 30 by rickw

That would be an entertaining team, I can't see it though.
The issue is the last 2 tournaments have been won by France and Portugal playing defensive football and relying on their stars doing a bit of magic.

I fear Southgate will play something like this
__________Pickford
___Walker__Stones___Maguire
Trippier__Henderson__Rice__Shaw
Sterling_________________Mount
____________Kane
It's commonly called 3-4-3 but it's more of a 5-2-3 with 2 holding midfielders. If Henderson doesn't make it, then I'd expect Phillips to come in (who's plays far too many sideways and backwards passes for England)

If it was me I'd for for something like:
___________Pope
TAA___Stones__Maguire___Shaw
_____Henderson___Rice
Sterling____Grealish____Rashford
___________Kane
My team is harsh on Mount who's been very good for England for a while, I would be tempted to try him in Henderson's position if he's doubtful

Quite like your 2nd XI.

Offers enough protection with Hendo and Rice in the middle, but with 4 players that can really create. That looks sensible against a Croatia, with perhaps Mount or Foden in for one of those against Scotland.

Another one that I wouldn't discount just based purely on his club form is Maddison.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

England - a call to be more adventurous on 12:44 - Mar 30 with 723 viewsStokieBlue

England - a call to be more adventurous on 08:27 - Mar 30 by Jon_456

Id go for Henderson/Rice holding with Mount and Grealish either side. Kane up top with Sterling left and Foden right.

In recent times we always have too many defensive players in CM, pure speed in those attacking wide roles and then struggle to create when teams sit in. Having good ball players like Grealish and Mount in CM with the option of Sterling with pace on one side and Foden with his skill on the other would really give teams something to think about.

You'd play Foden ahead of Rashford?

That's a no from me.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024