Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - APRIL 2023 09:55 - Feb 13 with 89563 viewschicoazul

What's your personal highlight of the Banter Era?
For me, the way Delaney told Jewell he was off to live in New York and needed to be let go, and then turned up at Palace a month or so later and enjoyed a promotion and a long career in the top flight.
I also like very much the fact Jewell signed Ingimarsson (sp) simply because they were at the same resort on holiday at the same time and Ingi did of course turn out to be an absolute knacker of a player.
Also the gangsters arriving at Playford Rd looking for Chopra.
What are yours?
[Post edited 30 Apr 2023 9:47]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 10:48 - Feb 14 with 7668 viewsTractorCam

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 18:01 - Feb 13 by LankHenners

Kevin Bru’s scouting career starting and ending with the signing of Larsen Toure.

Kevin Bru losing his dog twice.

Kevin Bru never being fit enough to complete 90 mins.

Kevin Bru becoming a sort of cult hero for nothing much more than section 6 going ‘Bruuuuu’.

Kevin Bru now seeming like the halcyon days of midfield signings.

I completely forgot about us signing Larsen Toure from a youtube clip, sensational!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 10:50 - Feb 14 with 7661 viewsTractorCam

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 19:24 - Feb 13 by Funge

Actually fck it, this one is a doozy.

Taking 9,000 fans to Old Trafford on a Wednesday night, to see us lose 3-0 playing a back pairing of Josh Yorwerth and Polish Pete, with the highlight of our attacking threat being Jay Tabb almost winning a corner.

It was only 5,500, but the other 3,500 probably knew this was coming so that's why they didn't bother

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 12:27 - Feb 14 with 7590 viewspatrickswell

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 09:23 - Feb 14 by SamWhiteUK

You've just prompted a memory of Sonko slicing a bicycle kick off his own post.

Someone might even pop up and tell me that it was against Norwich - it was on TV, I'm sure

The Sonko incident was a classic. Barnsley were 2-0 and suddenly got a one on one opportunity. David Stockdale blocked the shot but the ball span into the air, came down behind and started bobbling towards goal. Sonko got there first and side-footed the ball against the inside of the post. The ball bounced back behind him and evaded a Barnsley attacker who lunged for the ball. I think Stockdale caught the loose ball.
BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 13:10 - Feb 14 with 7550 views44_not_out

Leicester at home in the snow. Farcical conditions but the ref was too scared of Keano to call it off when we were 3-0 up
BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 13:17 - Feb 14 with 7542 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 13:10 - Feb 14 by 44_not_out

Leicester at home in the snow. Farcical conditions but the ref was too scared of Keano to call it off when we were 3-0 up

Nothing to do with Keane - the game being live on Sky had far more of an impact on that, one would assume

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 13:42 - Feb 14 with 7496 viewsbluejake78

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 10:22 - Feb 14 by GlasgowBlue

Yes. Keith Andrews saved Jewell’s job that night.

I watched the Ist half of Barnsley Ipswich on freestream (cricfree) 2-0 down at half time so went and cleaned the oven...devastated when we won 5-3.
BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE (n/t) on 14:53 - Feb 14 with 7451 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

[Post edited 14 Feb 2019 14:55]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 15:46 - Feb 14 with 7396 viewsRobTheMonk

Bradley Orr signing as on loan as a RB and ending up playing midfield.
Login to get fewer ads

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 20:29 - Feb 14 with 7340 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Chambers spending January 2017 talking about how we could make a go at the play offs with a couple of additions.

Chambers being linked with Nottingham Forest on the last day of January.

Hearing that Chambers has signed for Nottingham Forest.

Seeing that Chambers was in the starting line up against Derby at home that night.

Chambers playing with broken ribs against Derby.

Losing 3-0 to derby at home that night.

ITFC fans singing Darren Bent's name when he scored against us.

The club's official Twitter account announcing that Chambers was going to go to Nottingham Forest but that it broke down as it was too late.

The club's official Twitter account to post "Actually there wasn't a deal, ignore that. It's been a long day"

The club's official Twitter account not removing the original Tweet.

That was a weird day.

Poll: Best Football Song

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 20:29 - Feb 14 with 7312 viewsRoyKeanesDog

This thread is fantastic by the way.

Poll: Best Football Song

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 21:37 - Feb 14 with 7268 viewsjudespiveyg

Kluge leaving having fallen out with Keane and having no one between Luke Hyam and Teddy Bishop truly stepping up to the first team other than Josh Carson for a few months in 2011.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 07:53 - Feb 15 with 7189 viewsSteve_M

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 21:37 - Feb 14 by judespiveyg

Kluge leaving having fallen out with Keane and having no one between Luke Hyam and Teddy Bishop truly stepping up to the first team other than Josh Carson for a few months in 2011.

Don't forget Jewell talking up Byron Lawrence and chucking him on for 10 minutes at Doncaster purely as a gesture to fans.

Oh and Ryan Stephenson scored a cracker in that game. He deserves his own mention, what really was the point there?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 08:11 - Feb 15 with 7168 viewsGlasgowBlue

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 07:53 - Feb 15 by Steve_M

Don't forget Jewell talking up Byron Lawrence and chucking him on for 10 minutes at Doncaster purely as a gesture to fans.

Oh and Ryan Stephenson scored a cracker in that game. He deserves his own mention, what really was the point there?

I was talking to both Ryan Stephenson and Damien Delaney in a Carlisle bar on the afternoon of cup tie there. When I asked why they were in there so close to the game they both said they were no longer part of Jewel’s plans and were off.

I think they both left a few days later.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 08:18 - Feb 15 with 7159 viewschicoazul

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 20:29 - Feb 14 by RoyKeanesDog

Chambers spending January 2017 talking about how we could make a go at the play offs with a couple of additions.

Seeing that Chambers was in the starting line up against Derby at home that night.

The club's official Twitter account announcing that Chambers was going to go to Nottingham Forest but that it broke down as it was too late.

The club's official Twitter account to post "Actually there wasn't a deal, ignore that. It's been a long day"

That was a weird day.

This is very very good and is an excellent microcosm of the last few years.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 08:20 - Feb 15 with 7165 viewschicoazul

The Jewell chapter of my book is currently called "Paul & the age of Byron Lawrence is like Jack Wilshere"

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 09:44 - Feb 15 with 7115 viewsSamWhiteUK

That was a weird day.

I remember the link, but not hearing that he'd signed, or the tweets.

If you have a link to said tweets, that would be amazing
BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 09:50 - Feb 15 with 7110 viewsSteve_M

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 09:44 - Feb 15 by SamWhiteUK

I remember the link, but not hearing that he'd signed, or the tweets.

If you have a link to said tweets, that would be amazing

He would have signed I think had Mick not stopped it. Chambers has spoken about how it came about publicly (at a supporters forum in London last year) if not the full details.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 09:52 - Feb 15 with 7111 viewsPhilTWTD

Think it was more about his value in a tribunal than that as there were big clubs very keen at that point.
BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 09:53 - Feb 15 with 7100 viewschicoazul

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 09:50 - Feb 15 by Steve_M

He would have signed I think had Mick not stopped it. Chambers has spoken about how it came about publicly (at a supporters forum in London last year) if not the full details.

How did Mick stop it..? Chambo was out of contract, no?

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 09:55 - Feb 15 with 7109 viewsPhilTWTD

That was a weird day.

Did any of the latter part of that happen? I don't recall it. There appear to be a lot of half-truths, exaggerations or Chinese whispers added to an awful lot of stories in this thread.
BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 09:59 - Feb 15 with 7096 viewsbluewein

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 09:55 - Feb 15 by PhilTWTD

Did any of the latter part of that happen? I don't recall it. There appear to be a lot of half-truths, exaggerations or Chinese whispers added to an awful lot of stories in this thread.

Always one who has to derail a perfectly good thread...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 10:04 - Feb 15 with 7085 viewsPhilTWTD

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 09:59 - Feb 15 by bluewein

Always one who has to derail a perfectly good thread...

Truth, not lies, as Alan Parker Urban Warrior would put it.
BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 10:07 - Feb 15 with 7079 viewsPhilTWTD

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 09:53 - Feb 15 by chicoazul

How did Mick stop it..? Chambo was out of contract, no?

No, he effectively had 18 months, six months plus an option. Mick didn't want him to go and Forest didn't offer enough to tempt us, even though Efe Ambrose had been sounded out as a potential replacement on loan in case things did progress.
BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 10:09 - Feb 15 with 7075 viewschicoazul

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 10:07 - Feb 15 by PhilTWTD

No, he effectively had 18 months, six months plus an option. Mick didn't want him to go and Forest didn't offer enough to tempt us, even though Efe Ambrose had been sounded out as a potential replacement on loan in case things did progress.

Ah thank you. Still, letting Chambo get as far as the A14 with a bag packed is pure Banter Era.

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 10:13 - Feb 15 with 7065 viewsPhilTWTD

BANTER ERA NOV 2007 - DATE on 10:09 - Feb 15 by chicoazul

Ah thank you. Still, letting Chambo get as far as the A14 with a bag packed is pure Banter Era.

I'm pretty sure he said that was nonsense.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024