Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh aggers 09:10 - May 14 with 5372 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/may/13/jonathan-agnew-row-with-journ

This is actually very funny as well as slightly deranged.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Oh aggers on 09:15 - May 14 with 4498 viewsSteve_M

I find Agnew a really good commentator but once he strays beyond that he is very mixed. Ronay probably has it right, a very think skilled middle-aged man.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Oh aggers on 09:22 - May 14 with 4460 viewsWD19

The whole thing is a bit of a reminder of what a bunch of schoolboys occupy the press room.

Bloke claiming moral high ground on mental health unnecessarily writes further article about another bloke (Agnew) behaving strangely and hinting that he might have mental health issues.....

..... Adding for equal measure that he doesn't think Agnew is racist, but mentioning that the target of Agnew's vitriol was Chinese.......which was presumably slotted in to the article simply as bait to try and get anther rise out of the bloke he has just decided has mental health issues and shouldn't take bait.....

Classy all round.
Oh aggers on 09:26 - May 14 with 4433 viewsBrianTablet

I think years of being cooped up with Boycott is taking its toll.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Oh aggers on 09:28 - May 14 with 4430 viewsgordon

Yeah the stuff around Jofra Archer has been a bit odd - Chris Woakes publicly saying that he didn't think it would be fair if Archer was called up was bang out of order in my opinion, although perhaps more self-serving than anything else, given that they play similar roles.

But then, imagine if Moeen Ali publicly said that a call-up for Joe Denly would be unfair on the rest of the team - it would be treated with contempt.
Oh aggers on 09:37 - May 14 with 4391 viewsgordon

Oh aggers on 09:22 - May 14 by WD19

The whole thing is a bit of a reminder of what a bunch of schoolboys occupy the press room.

Bloke claiming moral high ground on mental health unnecessarily writes further article about another bloke (Agnew) behaving strangely and hinting that he might have mental health issues.....

..... Adding for equal measure that he doesn't think Agnew is racist, but mentioning that the target of Agnew's vitriol was Chinese.......which was presumably slotted in to the article simply as bait to try and get anther rise out of the bloke he has just decided has mental health issues and shouldn't take bait.....

Classy all round.

I think what Liew highlights though is a really important and difficult thing to talk about sensibly - the structural, embedded mild prejudices in society/sports are difficult to talk about because (like with the Danny Baker thing) the debate is always boiled down to a binary debate on whether person X is decided to be 'racist' or not.

The fact that in sport fans, the media and commentators have a different way of describing the appearance, behaviour, and talents of sportsmen based on their race is manifestly true, but something that's difficult to address and discuss without calling people out in a way which can seem to be unfair.
Oh aggers on 09:54 - May 14 with 4361 viewsBrianTablet

Oh aggers on 09:28 - May 14 by gordon

Yeah the stuff around Jofra Archer has been a bit odd - Chris Woakes publicly saying that he didn't think it would be fair if Archer was called up was bang out of order in my opinion, although perhaps more self-serving than anything else, given that they play similar roles.

But then, imagine if Moeen Ali publicly said that a call-up for Joe Denly would be unfair on the rest of the team - it would be treated with contempt.

Isn't it more of a nationality thing than a race thing?

Personally, I feel that there is no point to nation-based teams if the players aren't from those nations, and particularly where they grew up and competed for another country.

It started with Graham Hick and has just become ridiculous... in my opinion.

Oh aggers on 09:56 - May 14 with 4354 viewsSomethingBlue

Oh aggers on 09:22 - May 14 by WD19

Classy all round.

Third par misses the point totally — he's just giving one reason why Liew might be interested in exploring, and indeed qualified to explore, such issues, and why one might wish to hear him out. Nothing about "getting a rise". Agnew behaved disgracefully in this instance.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Oh aggers on 09:59 - May 14 with 4328 viewschicoazul

HAhahahahahahaha

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Oh aggers on 10:00 - May 14 with 4328 viewsgordon

Oh aggers on 09:54 - May 14 by BrianTablet

Personally, I feel that there is no point to nation-based teams if the players aren't from those nations, and particularly where they grew up and competed for another country.

That's right, but even when we nicked KP who was pretty obviously a tw*t no one was talking much about team morale etc. being affected by his inclusion (initially anyway).
Oh aggers on 10:02 - May 14 with 4320 viewsBrianTablet

Oh aggers on 09:37 - May 14 by gordon

I think what Liew highlights though is a really important and difficult thing to talk about sensibly - the structural, embedded mild prejudices in society/sports are difficult to talk about because (like with the Danny Baker thing) the debate is always boiled down to a binary debate on whether person X is decided to be 'racist' or not.

The fact that in sport fans, the media and commentators have a different way of describing the appearance, behaviour, and talents of sportsmen based on their race is manifestly true, but something that's difficult to address and discuss without calling people out in a way which can seem to be unfair.

Wouldn't it be a sign that we had equality when we could comment upon physical differences and not associate that with race/racism/etc? This binary racist/not racist thing means we are now at the point where physical characteristics can't be commented upon because of racial inferences.

Personally I wish we (in particular the media) would stop using the terms black and white to describe people. It just compounds the issue. Just say brown skin, peach skin, olive skin, whatever. Our society should reclaim skin colour as a physical description and not pigeon-hole everyone into a racial box.

Oh aggers on 10:02 - May 14 with 4321 viewsHerbivore

It started much earlier than Hick. And as the article points out nobody uses this kind of language when Zimbabwe born white cricketer Gary Ballance was in the frame to be called up.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Oh aggers on 10:09 - May 14 with 4290 viewsitfcjoe

Oh aggers on 09:15 - May 14 by Steve_M

I find Agnew a really good commentator but once he strays beyond that he is very mixed. Ronay probably has it right, a very think skilled middle-aged man.

"think skilled"

It amazes me that people in the public eye, who are so established in their careers are still "thin skinned" and must be reading everything about themselves.

If I do a podcast I only skim through any feedback that comes on Twitter, my ego obviously isn't as fragile! And he has totally made it, he is the main man for TMS so why worry what people are saying like that?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Oh aggers on 10:10 - May 14 with 4279 viewsBrianTablet

Oh aggers on 10:00 - May 14 by gordon

That's right, but even when we nicked KP who was pretty obviously a tw*t no one was talking much about team morale etc. being affected by his inclusion (initially anyway).

But I think that's to do with the tight-knit 'team' mentality that has built up with central contracts, etc. It's bringing in 'an outsider' to that group. And the group includes Moeen Ali, Rashid and Jordan, so I personally don't thinks it's a 'racial' thing. I think it's more to do with a clic of players building up, something which helped our football squad do well at the world cup.

The fact that Archer is a fantastic cricketer and will undoubtedly replace one of the established clic is what is upsetting the players, and the fact that he has played cricket for Barbados probably means he needs - rightly or wrongly - to fight harder for inclusion into that clic. The same was true would be true for an Aussie, S African, etc.

Oh aggers on 10:11 - May 14 with 4276 viewsWD19

Oh aggers on 09:56 - May 14 by SomethingBlue

Third par misses the point totally — he's just giving one reason why Liew might be interested in exploring, and indeed qualified to explore, such issues, and why one might wish to hear him out. Nothing about "getting a rise". Agnew behaved disgracefully in this instance.

I read Liew's article when it was first published and I think the biggest issue is that he just didn't do it very well. It probably suffered from begin a truncated, clickbaity, 'daily' piece, but it was all very obvious, didn't really 'explore' anything and did pretty much directly suggest Agnew was racist. If you are exploring nuances and trying to stimulate adult debate then it wasn't a great way to go about it.

Doesn't excuse Agnews behaviour in any way.
Oh aggers on 10:11 - May 14 with 4274 viewsBrianTablet

Oh aggers on 10:02 - May 14 by Herbivore

It started much earlier than Hick. And as the article points out nobody uses this kind of language when Zimbabwe born white cricketer Gary Ballance was in the frame to be called up.

What language are they using?

(Genuine question)

Oh aggers on 10:12 - May 14 with 4267 viewsHerbivore

Oh aggers on 10:11 - May 14 by BrianTablet

What language are they using?

(Genuine question)

Read the article.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Oh aggers on 10:21 - May 14 with 4230 viewsFtnfwest

The ECCB changed its rules in November i think it was to reduce the residency period for overseas players in terms of qualification (from 7 to 3, otherwise Archer wouldn't have been available until next year). So i guess certain players in the existing squad (definitely fast bowlers) might be a bit resistant to the idea of him being parachuted in. Archer though has an English parent and in terms of qualification it's the same situation as with Pietersen years ago, its just being implied that it's now racist with this situation. God know what Agnew's on though.
Oh aggers on 10:22 - May 14 with 4223 viewsFtnfwest

Oh aggers on 10:00 - May 14 by gordon

this is centered around a rule change though plus we are currently nr 1 in the rankings at one day whereas in 2005 at test level we needed all the help we could get!
Oh aggers on 10:24 - May 14 with 4220 viewsSteve_M

Oh aggers on 10:09 - May 14 by itfcjoe

"think skilled"

It amazes me that people in the public eye, who are so established in their careers are still "thin skinned" and must be reading everything about themselves.

If I do a podcast I only skim through any feedback that comes on Twitter, my ego obviously isn't as fragile! And he has totally made it, he is the main man for TMS so why worry what people are saying like that?

FFS.

It's odd isn't it? Agnew isn't the only one but there are plenty of people on Twitter who clearly are unable to cope with any criticism.

In his case, someone bought me one of his books once, there were readable bits but the whole thing was a set up to the Johnson "leg over" incident, something that was mildly amusing at the time but stands up about as well as Delboy falling through a bar once it's been recounted hundreds of times.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Oh aggers on 10:26 - May 14 with 4206 viewsFtnfwest

Ballance qualified purely through residency rather than actually having an English parent like Archer and Pietersen (and the latter had had far more stick over his qualification than either of the others, which is purely because of his personality otherwise Ballance would have had more criticism).
Oh aggers on 10:55 - May 14 with 4131 viewsBobbychase

Barney Roney used the word trope. He clearly is a c...

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Oh aggers on 11:32 - May 14 with 4059 viewsgordon

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-cricket-world-cup-squad-jofr

There's the original article - it's difficult to argue that all the references about 'upsetting team culture' aren't a bit off. There's never been a question about Archer's attitude, commitment or personality.
Oh aggers on 12:08 - May 14 with 3991 viewsReuser_is_God

Oh aggers on 11:32 - May 14 by gordon

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-cricket-world-cup-squad-jofr

There's the original article - it's difficult to argue that all the references about 'upsetting team culture' aren't a bit off. There's never been a question about Archer's attitude, commitment or personality.

Really good article that.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Oh aggers on 12:09 - May 14 with 3988 viewsReuser_is_God

Ballance should never have played for England.

He is sh1t.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Oh aggers on 14:57 - May 14 with 3864 viewsGuthrum

Oh aggers on 10:09 - May 14 by itfcjoe

"think skilled"

He's still human and not all top media personalities are entirely inwardly secure.

Moreover, accusations of racism (even nuanced ones suggesting unconscious bias) could be seriously damaging to his career.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024