Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour's plans for the trains. 17:03 - Dec 2 with 16839 viewsmonytowbray

✂️Cut rail fares by 33% from Jan 2020
👍Save the average commuter £1097/yr
✔️Fair fares for part-time workers
🎫Deliver a simple, London-style ticketing system nationwide
👛Free rail travel for under 16s

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/labour-rail-fares-cut-train

Backed, I think a 3rd off is fair for investment back if public owned. At the minute they charge double the cost of transporting commuters on a sh1te service to line the pockets of shareholders. Part time tickets have also needed to be a thing for far too long, as well as a simplier ticket/price structure.

I'd actually happily pay for trains knowing it was for the greater good of the nation.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:39 - Dec 3 with 1145 viewsBackToRussia

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:37 - Dec 3 by Radlett_blue

If rail fares are reduced (and Britain does subsidise its railways by the lowest amount in Europe) the main beneficiaries will be commuters based in the South-East of England. Those who don't use the railways and use cars (drivers pay way above in fuel tax & car excise duty what is needed for our road network) won't necessarily be happy.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 8:41]

People should be encouraged, by smart legislation, to use public transport. If through taxation we lower the prices of travelling by rail, and increase how much it costs to own and use a car, then all to the benefit of reducing our carbon emissions. And voters should recognise this unless they're turkeys voting for Xmas.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:41 - Dec 3 with 1139 viewsSuperfrans

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:13 - Dec 2 by GeoffSentence

It is great, obviously, but I'd like to know how they can do the first one.

I imagine that if they legislate to force rail providers to cut their fares by that much, it would make the job of nationalising them much easier.

Presumably by operating it as a break even service, rather than pocketing the profits as private firms need to?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:43 - Dec 3 with 1136 viewsBackToRussia

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:41 - Dec 3 by Superfrans

Presumably by operating it as a break even service, rather than pocketing the profits as private firms need to?

TfL seem to do quite well for themselves. I believe they run at a profit.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:52 - Dec 3 with 1128 viewslowhouseblue

anyone know what today's free stuff is going to be? i'm holding out for at least one of the main utilities being completely free before i'll vote for them.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:53 - Dec 3 with 1126 viewsjeera

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:41 - Dec 3 by Superfrans

This is it.

I mean, there's been too many 'free' promises and if JC and co had packaged this campaign as a view to nationalise*, reduce fares as much is possible but to ensure all profit goes back into infrastructure and improving services, with a guarantee that nothing bleeds out into ridiculous bonuses et al, then maybe more people would be on board - as it were.

The public shouldn't be held to ransom by private firms and their shareholders for trying to get to work etc.

*edit typo
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 9:58]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:57 - Dec 3 with 1122 viewsJonBlue

So under this policy the rural working poor get to pay more in car tax to subsidise middle class metropolitan commuters.

Very helpful when the majority of council areas with the lowest average wage are in rural areas with poor public transport links.

Presumably because the giveaway is more likely to benefit those in important election battlegrounds the above issue was not considered important.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:57 - Dec 3 with 1117 viewslowhouseblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:53 - Dec 3 by jeera

This is it.

I mean, there's been too many 'free' promises and if JC and co had packaged this campaign as a view to nationalise*, reduce fares as much is possible but to ensure all profit goes back into infrastructure and improving services, with a guarantee that nothing bleeds out into ridiculous bonuses et al, then maybe more people would be on board - as it were.

The public shouldn't be held to ransom by private firms and their shareholders for trying to get to work etc.

*edit typo
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 9:58]

we're seeing the return of pork barrel politics.

need the support of a particular union to win a conference vote? give them more guards on trains.

need to win over a difficult backbencher? put a train maintenance yard in her constituency.

difficult by-election? i'm sure they have a station that needs refurbishing.

general election coming up? let's cut the price of season tickets.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour's plans for the trains. on 09:02 - Dec 3 with 1105 viewsjeera

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:57 - Dec 3 by lowhouseblue

we're seeing the return of pork barrel politics.

need the support of a particular union to win a conference vote? give them more guards on trains.

need to win over a difficult backbencher? put a train maintenance yard in her constituency.

difficult by-election? i'm sure they have a station that needs refurbishing.

general election coming up? let's cut the price of season tickets.

It's always thus.

However, for those who believe in the main public services being nationalised it's a no-brainer.

I meant to clarify that I in no way feel that should have an automatic 'free' attached to it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Labour's plans for the trains. on 09:04 - Dec 3 with 1098 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Labour's plans for the trains. on 22:12 - Dec 2 by Funge

Legendary.

Though I'd be careful, some people around here will be taking this seriously.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 09:41 - Dec 3 with 1057 viewssparks

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:02 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

Every commuter is 'well to do' are they?

All train fares are way too expensive... that's even assuming you get a train and not a replacement bus.

Anyone who doesn't like this proposal is either not a frequent train user or mad.

You appear to have missed the point.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 09:47 - Dec 3 with 1048 viewsStokieBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:02 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

Every commuter is 'well to do' are they?

All train fares are way too expensive... that's even assuming you get a train and not a replacement bus.

Anyone who doesn't like this proposal is either not a frequent train user or mad.

Let be precise there though - 40% of train fares will be unaffected and actually go up 2.7% in line with the latest rises.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Labour's plans for the trains. on 11:48 - Dec 3 with 1003 viewsSacrebleu

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

January depression soon to follow.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 11:51 - Dec 3 with 999 viewslowhouseblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 11:48 - Dec 3 by Sacrebleu

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

January depression soon to follow.

i've heard that rather than releasing a manifesto labour considered doing it as an advent calendar. doesn't seem to much behind the little door today though

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:38 - Dec 3 with 954 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:37 - Dec 3 by Radlett_blue

If rail fares are reduced (and Britain does subsidise its railways by the lowest amount in Europe) the main beneficiaries will be commuters based in the South-East of England. Those who don't use the railways and use cars (drivers pay way above in fuel tax & car excise duty what is needed for our road network) won't necessarily be happy.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 8:41]

People commute into London from all sides, why do you focus on the South-East?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:40 - Dec 3 with 951 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:43 - Dec 3 by BackToRussia

TfL seem to do quite well for themselves. I believe they run at a profit.

You believe wrong then.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:44 - Dec 3 with 944 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:52 - Dec 3 by lowhouseblue

anyone know what today's free stuff is going to be? i'm holding out for at least one of the main utilities being completely free before i'll vote for them.

I see you've gone from 'straight out lying' into 'desperate belittling as well as lying' mode now.

You're not really a fan of democracy are you?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:45 - Dec 3 with 939 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:57 - Dec 3 by JonBlue

So under this policy the rural working poor get to pay more in car tax to subsidise middle class metropolitan commuters.

Very helpful when the majority of council areas with the lowest average wage are in rural areas with poor public transport links.

Presumably because the giveaway is more likely to benefit those in important election battlegrounds the above issue was not considered important.

You mean the poor public transport under 10 years of Tory austerity?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:46 - Dec 3 with 936 viewslowhouseblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:44 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

I see you've gone from 'straight out lying' into 'desperate belittling as well as lying' mode now.

look, democracy means my vote is important. so if labour want it I expect either free electricity or free water. both are necessities. unless they up the offer from just free broadband they can count me out.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:47 - Dec 3 with 933 viewsBackToRussia

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:40 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

You believe wrong then.

Just looked into it. The tube makes a huge profit but the buses a huge loss.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:48 - Dec 3 with 930 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 09:41 - Dec 3 by sparks

You appear to have missed the point.

I've re-read your post and am not sure where I have, so maybe you could help me out?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:55 - Dec 3 with 913 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:47 - Dec 3 by BackToRussia

Just looked into it. The tube makes a huge profit but the buses a huge loss.

So you were wrong then. £742 million of wrong in fact (in 2019/20).

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:59 - Dec 3 with 900 viewsBackToRussia

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:55 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

So you were wrong then. £742 million of wrong in fact (in 2019/20).

Obviously. Are you going to do a little dance or just add it a tally in a little notebook?

Now why may a publicly funded rail network making a profit be significant to this thread?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 12:59]

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:05 - Dec 3 with 885 viewslowhouseblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:46 - Dec 3 by lowhouseblue

look, democracy means my vote is important. so if labour want it I expect either free electricity or free water. both are necessities. unless they up the offer from just free broadband they can count me out.

dolly, why the down arrow? i'm prepared to negotiate. i'm sure you can speak on corbyn's behalf - what free packages on mobile phones is he prepared to offer? if he can go to a free 20gb of data we might still have a deal?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:08 - Dec 3 with 877 viewsJonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:45 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

You mean the poor public transport under 10 years of Tory austerity?

That doesn't alter the fact that some of the poorest people in Britain will made worse off by this policy because of their location.

I support a number of Labour's policies but this one from a social justice/equality point of view looks ill thought out and more concerned with winning votes in marginal constituencies.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 13:10]
Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:10 - Dec 3 with 868 viewsStokieBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:44 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

He does have a point though Dolly. Lots of good stuff in the Labour manifesto but also an awful lot of promises with more coming out almost daily that aren't in there.

If they gain power it's going to be hard to implement them all and please everyone. Lots of people will have voted for them for lots of different things and will expect whichever one they voted for to be implemented.

I know you aren't like that - you are happy if the general gist of the manifesto is implemented (as would be very many people) and if some things get lost by the wayside then so be it. A lot of people won't be like that - remember what happened to the Lib Dems over tuition fees.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024