Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lies are just a joke to Johnson 21:31 - Dec 6 with 3163 viewsNthsuffolkblue

His response to what is appropriate for politicians who lie during election campaigns?

They should "go on their knees through the chamber of the House of Commons scourging themselves with copies of their offending documents"

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 22:52 - Dec 7 with 1071 viewslowhouseblue

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 22:44 - Dec 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

But this is the point.

With Johnson it is not just stuff we disagree with.

It is clear, demonstrable untruths.

https://boris-johnson-lies.com/

perhaps, just perhaps, neither you or the person who wrote the website are entirely objective when it comes to defining lies. which is kind of the point i was making.

politics would be more grown up if we could disagree with people without calling them liars.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 22:55 - Dec 7 with 1068 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 22:50 - Dec 7 by WD19

The below suggests that data is kept.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN05125

From that article "Comparing party membership between political parties can sometimes be difficult. Political parties are under no legal obligation to publish membership statistics. There is also no uniformly recognised definition of membership, nor is there an established method or body to monitor it. Nonetheless, the majority of main parties voluntarily include membership figures in annual accounts for the year ending 31 December, submitted to the Electoral Commission.
Although all parties are required to submit these annual accounts by the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act (2000), they are not obliged to include membership data. When annual accounts do include these figures, they’re probably the most reliable estimates available." would suggest the data is only from 200 onwards after the act referred to had been passed.

There is even a graph lower down that conflicts with the data on your graph showing Labour membership at below 2% of the electorate in 1970 and never attaining the same height. Unless the electorate was significantly greater then (which it wouldn't have been) that is nowhere near 1M members.

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 22:57 - Dec 7 with 1061 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 22:52 - Dec 7 by lowhouseblue

perhaps, just perhaps, neither you or the person who wrote the website are entirely objective when it comes to defining lies. which is kind of the point i was making.

politics would be more grown up if we could disagree with people without calling them liars.

Your answer to the question then is YOU do not believe Johnson is a liar?

I agree the website linked is biased. The content is fairly clear on many of them.

For example, do you disbelieve Johnson said the quotes on there or do you not accept they are untrue?

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 22:58 - Dec 7 with 1058 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 22:43 - Dec 7 by longtimefan

I’ll take a guess the bottom axis Is the year

OK. I will also take a guess. The y axis is not Labour Party membership as it would be in conflict with the data quoted as the source further down as I have stated.

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 23:00 - Dec 7 with 1057 viewsHARRY10

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 22:42 - Dec 7 by lowhouseblue

stuff you disagree with isn't the same as an intention to deceive.

the vehemence with which people currently disagree ends up with us all calling each other liars. in the main it just means that we think other people are wrong.

It matters little what we call each other, iot is about the evidence to back claims.

Johnson is an habitual liar, and has been on a daily basis. As can easily be shown.

In response we are told all politicians lie, as if that balances it up. It doesn't as it is nothing more than the usual 'whataboutery' to deflect from Johnson's deceit on a grand scale.As this is not about 'over egging figures' or laying claim to past achievements that are doubtful.

This about a man who has lied conned and cheated his way through his adult live, and has been sacked fro high positions twice for that. A man who even his own wife, familiy and forner mistress say he is not to be trusted....as the DUP found to their cost recently.

To try to wave away that level of deceit with a vacuous comment that they all do it is absurd.
Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 23:02 - Dec 7 with 1053 viewslongtimefan

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 22:34 - Dec 7 by WD19

The graph appears to come from
https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05125/SN05125.pdf#page
Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 23:07 - Dec 7 with 1049 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 23:02 - Dec 7 by longtimefan

The graph appears to come from
https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05125/SN05125.pdf#page

Thank you. That would suggest that if Corbyn is making the claim suggested he is not being entirely truthful, yes.

EDIT: From p 7 of the full document: "In 1953 the Conservative Party had a reported membership of 2.8 million; in the same year, Labour claimed over a million members. However, these figures are academic estimates and subsequent studies suggest estimates for both parties were inflated. Changes in monitoring practices introduced in the late 1970s improved the quality of Labour Party estimates; increased media and Parliamentary attention has encouraged improvements to Conservative Party estimates since the early-1990s." is interesting, though.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 23:10]

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 09:13 - Dec 8 with 1006 viewsblueconscience

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 22:04 - Dec 7 by lowhouseblue

so in your view lying is something only tories do?

Of course Boris lies. Every politician lies, including Corbyn.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Login to get fewer ads

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:08 - Dec 8 with 983 viewsmanchego

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 22:52 - Dec 7 by lowhouseblue

The main problem is that interviewers are not calling Johnson a liar when he clearly is. He is not challenged on it properly.
Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:13 - Dec 8 with 975 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:08 - Dec 8 by manchego

The main problem is that interviewers are not calling Johnson a liar when he clearly is. He is not challenged on it properly.

There’s also a false equivalency angle to it. The scale and depths of Johnson’s lies and deceit are on a level I don’t think we’ve seen before.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:16 - Dec 8 with 970 viewslowhouseblue

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:08 - Dec 8 by manchego

a lie is not the same as something someone disagrees with.

i guess interviewers are concerned with libel law as well as journalistic standards.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:21 - Dec 8 with 966 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:16 - Dec 8 by lowhouseblue

i guess interviewers are concerned with libel law as well as journalistic standards.

We know that, we’re talking about actual lies. Or fibs, untruths, whoppers, dishonesty, falsehoods, deceit, or fabrication if you’d prefer.

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:24 - Dec 8 with 960 viewslowhouseblue

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:21 - Dec 8 by Swansea_Blue

We know that, we’re talking about actual lies. Or fibs, untruths, whoppers, dishonesty, falsehoods, deceit, or fabrication if you’d prefer.

intent to deceive is a high hurdle to prove. i haven't seen anything that gets there yet. but i've seen lots of stuff people think is wrong and that they want to apply a pejorative label to. it's politics reduced to name calling.

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:27 - Dec 8 with 954 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:24 - Dec 8 by lowhouseblue

intent to deceive is a high hurdle to prove. i haven't seen anything that gets there yet. but i've seen lots of stuff people think is wrong and that they want to apply a pejorative label to. it's politics reduced to name calling.

He’s been sacked for lying. You’re just not wanting to see what he is.

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:33 - Dec 8 with 951 viewslowhouseblue

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:27 - Dec 8 by Swansea_Blue

He’s been sacked for lying. You’re just not wanting to see what he is.

so this all about a fabricated quote in an article about archaeology from 30 years ago? ok.

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:53 - Dec 8 with 943 viewsmanchego

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:16 - Dec 8 by lowhouseblue

Yes I know what a disagreement is.
But Johnson is a liar.
Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:54 - Dec 8 with 938 viewsmanchego

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:33 - Dec 8 by lowhouseblue

so this all about a fabricated quote in an article about archaeology from 30 years ago? ok.

No it's not just about that, It's about literally everything he says.
Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:56 - Dec 8 with 935 viewsmanchego

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:24 - Dec 8 by lowhouseblue

" i haven't seen anything that gets there yet "

wow. you are seriously deluded.

https://boris-johnson-lies.com/

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/mbm8p3/boris-johnson-lies-media-bbc

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/06/lying-liar-lies-some-more-as-bo
[Post edited 8 Dec 2019 11:01]
Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 11:03 - Dec 8 with 921 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lies are just a joke to Johnson on 10:33 - Dec 8 by lowhouseblue

No it’s not “all about that”. He’s a compulsive liar, always has been and still is. You don’t have to believe that of course, that’s your right but also a position that ignores all the evidence.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024