Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No subject 22:25 - Aug 7 with 8945 viewstextbackup

18 months away from ‘home’

And 80% of the heroic north stand stood in silence

It’s honestly fcking painful

If you sit there, and don’t bother singing, why are you there?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

No subject on 16:23 - Aug 8 with 1596 viewsCheltenham_Blue

No subject on 15:17 - Aug 8 by tonydinning

The acoustics in the north stand are terrible. I couldn't hear the flag wavers below from about 8 rows behind. It's basically like being in an open top stand.

If the club were interested, they could actually use sound reflecting materials on the overhanging upper tier bit. That's never going to happen.

The drum in section 6 seems to do more harm than good, stomping all over other singing from elsewhere. And they started the same "we follow, we follow" about 12 times.

People seem to do their main singing under the stand in the bar for the phone cameras and then that's it once they go upstairs.

Realistically there just isn't the culture at the club for people singing. I wish there was. But I've come to the conclusion there's no real appetite from people.

I can't be effed caring about it now. Next home game I'm just going to sit in the west stand and enjoy the view.

"If the club were interested, they could actually use sound reflecting materials on the overhanging upper tier bit. That's never going to happen."

I think your confusing Gamechanger20's Ipswich Town with Marcus Evans' Ipswich Town.

This lot listen, and if they hear enough ideas like this, it'll make the list, but people need to get involved with the club.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

No subject on 16:27 - Aug 8 with 1584 viewsTractorWood

You know I'm with your passion on this one texters but Suffolk is a meek and reticent place. It has an enormous amount of people who just want to watch the game in familiar and quiet surroundings.

It's much more about routine and the sense of belonging to most of our fans than raw emotion and passion. Has always been and shall ever be thus.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

No subject on 17:01 - Aug 8 with 1537 viewsMatt_Netherlands

No subject on 08:21 - Aug 8 by textbackup

And that’s the problem, too many sit there for some nostalgic reasons, without being there to actually support.
View is sht too, not even like there’s anything to gain from sitting there if you aren’t there to sing

I get where you’re coming from with this, but implying that unless you’re singing, you’re not supporting the team is a bit of a stretch. Also seems a bit insulting to those who travel thousands of miles a season and spend thousands of pounds to follow the town without singing along.

Did seem a bit strange yesterday that the concourse was bouncing before kick off and then the stands were a bit quiet. I was upper tier and couldn’t hear a lot.
No subject on 20:27 - Aug 8 with 1482 viewsstrikalite

No subject on 14:32 - Aug 8 by north_stand77

Please, please, please stop with the Delia songs. There were some singing it in the north stand yesterday and its horrible. Just makes us look stupid.

She's 80 years old and our dick***ds are all jumping about singing about her, doesn't get any lower does it..
No subject on 21:28 - Aug 8 with 1443 viewstextbackup

No subject on 14:48 - Aug 8 by TheBlueGnu

Polite answer - because I pay my money, like sitting there, sat there for ages with my friends, I like cheering at goals, but I'm not keen on singing myself - but like hearing others singing.

Abrasive answer: F-ck off.

Should inject that passion into your match day experience mate

No subject on 23:53 - Aug 8 with 1391 viewsArthur_Hayes

No subject on 09:02 - Aug 8 by Bluespeed225

Since someone decided to replace ‘Blue n white’ with ‘Barmy’, it hasn’t been the same. Bobby/Jonny/George/BIg Fat Joe’s, Blue n White army created a tempo, was easy for all to get involved in, and could go on for 15 minutes plus. Needs to return.

As Citeh used to sing about Shaun Goater, a nice easy song for Piggott could be, “Feed the pig and he will score”.

For those unfamiliar with the tune…

No subject on 08:45 - Aug 9 with 1301 viewsSlambo

Must say, we were left extremely deflated after Saturday. The Brewer's Arms was absolutely electric, we all marched down to the ground, the concourse was ear-splittingly loud, then into the stands and - silence...

We've worked hard these last few years to try and 'unite' the atmosphere generators and change the culture and it feels like we're back to square 1. We moved down to the front of the big part of 6 to get more central and visible ad we advertised this weeks ago; and yet there were STILL dozens of folk in that little mini section standing there with their arms crossed, staring glumly at the pitch. Men and women, young and old, replica shirt over hoodie, dripping in the latest terrace gear. Folk have read this thread, coughed nervously and stared at their feet; others have got very defensive; others don't care either way. But if we agree that a loud, positive atmosphere in a football ground is a good thing - both for the spectator and the player - then there's no reason why we couldn't have a 200 seat block somewhere for that express purpose. The other 29,800 supporters could go on supporting the team as they want. But we all have to self-reflect and take personal responsibility...

The only way forward as we see it now is the club taking the reins with this. I'm not sure if a feel optimistic or pessimistic about that: they did the absolute bare minimum when we wanted to move this season (hence why so many singers are still stranded up in the corner) and didn't listen to our suggestions at all, but we're willing to put it down to them just having bigger fish to fry, what with all the upheaval and having to build a competitive team from scratch. Hopefully we can get an audience with Mark Ashton and discuss some things. As someone rightly said, this regime is different, and there has definitely been a paradigm shift in terms of a 'can do' attitude. Standing areas would also massively help, but rail seats are not the panacea everyone thinks. The model I mostly see bandied about is still a 'one ticket, one standing spot' design, which does nothing to solve the problem of singers/non-singers being able to move about and congregate as they see fit...

Just a quick response to the songs: we ourselves have got at least 4 new songs that out there that have varying degrees of success. Solid, catchy songs that we repeat over and over so people can get the hang of. None of them involve slagging off Delia Smith and Norwich. But if the people in the row behind us won't even join in, how can we expect the whole stand to..?

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

No subject on 08:55 - Aug 9 with 1286 viewsPrideOfTheEast

No subject on 23:53 - Aug 8 by Arthur_Hayes

As Citeh used to sing about Shaun Goater, a nice easy song for Piggott could be, “Feed the pig and he will score”.

For those unfamiliar with the tune…

Exactly - much better.

Allez allez - my god. It’s a song that reminds us of the support applauding relegation. So slow, so negative - just please stop signing it.
Login to get fewer ads

No subject on 08:56 - Aug 9 with 1288 viewsSlambo

No subject on 15:17 - Aug 8 by tonydinning

The acoustics in the north stand are terrible. I couldn't hear the flag wavers below from about 8 rows behind. It's basically like being in an open top stand.

If the club were interested, they could actually use sound reflecting materials on the overhanging upper tier bit. That's never going to happen.

The drum in section 6 seems to do more harm than good, stomping all over other singing from elsewhere. And they started the same "we follow, we follow" about 12 times.

People seem to do their main singing under the stand in the bar for the phone cameras and then that's it once they go upstairs.

Realistically there just isn't the culture at the club for people singing. I wish there was. But I've come to the conclusion there's no real appetite from people.

I can't be effed caring about it now. Next home game I'm just going to sit in the west stand and enjoy the view.

It's a fair point and we all bitterly lament the demise of the one tier kop of the old North Stand, and it certainly felt like we were literally and metaphorically screaming into the wind. However, go on YouTube and watch clips of, say, San Lorenzo fans. Massive, sprawling, uncovered stands and loud, non-stop singing. Where there's a will, there's a way...

UPPA TOWEN!

No subject on 09:00 - Aug 9 with 1280 viewstextbackup

No subject on 08:56 - Aug 9 by Slambo

It's a fair point and we all bitterly lament the demise of the one tier kop of the old North Stand, and it certainly felt like we were literally and metaphorically screaming into the wind. However, go on YouTube and watch clips of, say, San Lorenzo fans. Massive, sprawling, uncovered stands and loud, non-stop singing. Where there's a will, there's a way...

all too easy for them to say "ah yeah the stand doesn't hold the sound, so pointless singing to begin with"

half our trouble this season will be down to expectations set too high, fans going expect to be entertained, then might chip in with a bit of support after. where as other clubs see it as a 2 way relationship.

its sad but its what out fanbase is, SBR was right when he called them zombies years ago.

No subject on 09:04 - Aug 9 with 1267 viewsSlambo

No subject on 14:48 - Aug 8 by TheBlueGnu

Polite answer - because I pay my money, like sitting there, sat there for ages with my friends, I like cheering at goals, but I'm not keen on singing myself - but like hearing others singing.

Abrasive answer: F-ck off.

But can you not see what happens if everyone were to have that attitude? If 3,000 fans who don't like singing go into the NSL in order to hear singing, no-one's going to sing..!!

UPPA TOWEN!

No subject on 09:09 - Aug 9 with 1256 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

No subject on 09:00 - Aug 9 by textbackup

all too easy for them to say "ah yeah the stand doesn't hold the sound, so pointless singing to begin with"

half our trouble this season will be down to expectations set too high, fans going expect to be entertained, then might chip in with a bit of support after. where as other clubs see it as a 2 way relationship.

its sad but its what out fanbase is, SBR was right when he called them zombies years ago.

As I said earlier in the thread though, it’s so frustrating because some of the support away is fantastic. Burton Saturday will be louder from our end than the game a couple of days ago despite having just under 10% of the numbers in comparison.

Edit - That actually furthers your original point. Fans that go away are often the ‘diehards’ so tend to have more people who will sing and because they’re more tightly packed together.. the atmosphere is louder.

I agree with you that the problem is the north stand lower having too many who don’t want to sing. It should be the bare minimum to leave the stadium with your voice at least partially sore.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 9:11]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

No subject on 09:11 - Aug 9 with 1236 viewstextbackup

No subject on 09:04 - Aug 9 by Slambo

But can you not see what happens if everyone were to have that attitude? If 3,000 fans who don't like singing go into the NSL in order to hear singing, no-one's going to sing..!!

No subject on 09:12 - Aug 9 with 1238 viewsSlambo

No subject on 09:00 - Aug 9 by textbackup

Yeah, that's a good point and definitely contributed. There's never any one thing, always a confluence of factors...

UPPA TOWEN!

No subject on 09:15 - Aug 9 with 1226 viewsPinewoodblue

No subject on 08:45 - Aug 9 by Slambo

Must say, we were left extremely deflated after Saturday. The Brewer's Arms was absolutely electric, we all marched down to the ground, the concourse was ear-splittingly loud, then into the stands and - silence...

We've worked hard these last few years to try and 'unite' the atmosphere generators and change the culture and it feels like we're back to square 1. We moved down to the front of the big part of 6 to get more central and visible ad we advertised this weeks ago; and yet there were STILL dozens of folk in that little mini section standing there with their arms crossed, staring glumly at the pitch. Men and women, young and old, replica shirt over hoodie, dripping in the latest terrace gear. Folk have read this thread, coughed nervously and stared at their feet; others have got very defensive; others don't care either way. But if we agree that a loud, positive atmosphere in a football ground is a good thing - both for the spectator and the player - then there's no reason why we couldn't have a 200 seat block somewhere for that express purpose. The other 29,800 supporters could go on supporting the team as they want. But we all have to self-reflect and take personal responsibility...

The only way forward as we see it now is the club taking the reins with this. I'm not sure if a feel optimistic or pessimistic about that: they did the absolute bare minimum when we wanted to move this season (hence why so many singers are still stranded up in the corner) and didn't listen to our suggestions at all, but we're willing to put it down to them just having bigger fish to fry, what with all the upheaval and having to build a competitive team from scratch. Hopefully we can get an audience with Mark Ashton and discuss some things. As someone rightly said, this regime is different, and there has definitely been a paradigm shift in terms of a 'can do' attitude. Standing areas would also massively help, but rail seats are not the panacea everyone thinks. The model I mostly see bandied about is still a 'one ticket, one standing spot' design, which does nothing to solve the problem of singers/non-singers being able to move about and congregate as they see fit...

Just a quick response to the songs: we ourselves have got at least 4 new songs that out there that have varying degrees of success. Solid, catchy songs that we repeat over and over so people can get the hang of. None of them involve slagging off Delia Smith and Norwich. But if the people in the row behind us won't even join in, how can we expect the whole stand to..?

Just a regular post about self entitlement. Why should you expect people to move just because you want them to?

It really isn’t about you.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

No subject on 09:29 - Aug 9 with 1201 viewslazyblue

If you want singing and the atmosphere then all move to upper SAR in the corner next to away fans and create a new area.
The loudest song form any of the stands in the last 20 years was when SBR stand was being built and SAR upper stand sang the Marcus Stewart song.

Just try it as you cant get any real continuous atmosphere going when you are so far away from the away fans and a level below them.

Stop complaining and do it yourselves.
No subject on 09:30 - Aug 9 with 1197 viewswitchdoctor

No subject on 08:45 - Aug 9 by Slambo

plenty of room in the Churchmans upper..right next to the away fans..there’s a few there that try and get the atmosphere going and I’m sure they’d welcome you lot to join their merry band…
No subject on 09:35 - Aug 9 with 1186 viewstextbackup

No subject on 09:29 - Aug 9 by lazyblue

If you want singing and the atmosphere then all move to upper SAR in the corner next to away fans and create a new area.
The loudest song form any of the stands in the last 20 years was when SBR stand was being built and SAR upper stand sang the Marcus Stewart song.

Just try it as you cant get any real continuous atmosphere going when you are so far away from the away fans and a level below them.

yeah maybe that's the answer, i'll go sit up there, in the hope others follow..... or not

No subject on 09:36 - Aug 9 with 1179 viewsPinewoodblue

No subject on 09:29 - Aug 9 by lazyblue

Suspect they don’t want to pay more for their season tickets so not an option.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

No subject on 10:03 - Aug 9 with 1149 viewsEwan_Oozami

No subject on 09:09 - Aug 9 by The_Romford_Blue

As I said earlier in the thread though, it’s so frustrating because some of the support away is fantastic. Burton Saturday will be louder from our end than the game a couple of days ago despite having just under 10% of the numbers in comparison.

Edit - That actually furthers your original point. Fans that go away are often the ‘diehards’ so tend to have more people who will sing and because they’re more tightly packed together.. the atmosphere is louder.

I agree with you that the problem is the north stand lower having too many who don’t want to sing. It should be the bare minimum to leave the stadium with your voice at least partially sore.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 9:11]

I left the stadium with a very sore voice after all that shouting about the Morecambe back passes.....
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 10:19]

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

No subject on 11:41 - Aug 9 with 1080 viewsTheBlueGnu

No subject on 09:04 - Aug 9 by Slambo

Stick the attitude up your ar-e matey

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

No subject on 11:46 - Aug 9 with 1056 viewslegoman

Televised footy matches had fake crowd noises during Covid shutdown which was ok imo. Could the club install speakers under the roof and fill in the quiet times with someone controlling to suit?

Poll: Sheepshanks 5 years -v- Evans 5 points

No subject on 11:47 - Aug 9 with 1053 viewsportmanking

For me, I think the root cause is simpler than any of the above. It's merely that we've been starved of success for so long. The majority of fans are LONGING to believe in our team and will back them to the hilt vocally, but how many false dawns have we had in the last 10 years? We are so scarred as a fanbase, it's hardly surprising that the atmosphere quite literally popped like a balloon when Morecambe scored.

You've also got a squad of complete new faces/personalities/characters to throw into the equation. Fans are going to take time to find things to relate to in the new era, that's just natural, surely?
No subject on 13:16 - Aug 9 with 975 viewsSlambo

No subject on 09:15 - Aug 9 by Pinewoodblue

Just a regular post about self entitlement. Why should you expect people to move just because you want them to?

It really isn’t about you.

We take very special care to not come across as entitled. If you see any sense of entitlement in anything we say, it's because you want to see it. To make it clear: the travails of Blue Action are inconsequential as long as the team on the pitch is doing well. We're excited as everyone about where this club is going, and if we peter out into nothing while the club goes from success to success, there'd be no complaints from us...

We'd LIKE the club to consider properly addressing the variable atmosphere at PR as we - and the majority of fans - feel its good for the team on the pitch, the wider support base and the general self-esteem of the club. We've tried doing it on our own for 3 years but events at Morecambe make us worried we're not getting anywhere. If fans don't want to accommodate us - or any other 'singing' group - not a lot can be done and we'll just do the best we can with what we have ..

UPPA TOWEN!

No subject on 13:24 - Aug 9 with 961 viewsFunge

No subject on 11:47 - Aug 9 by portmanking

For me, I think the root cause is simpler than any of the above. It's merely that we've been starved of success for so long. The majority of fans are LONGING to believe in our team and will back them to the hilt vocally, but how many false dawns have we had in the last 10 years? We are so scarred as a fanbase, it's hardly surprising that the atmosphere quite literally popped like a balloon when Morecambe scored.

You've also got a squad of complete new faces/personalities/characters to throw into the equation. Fans are going to take time to find things to relate to in the new era, that's just natural, surely?

This is a good post.

Big up to BA - love what you lot are doing, and, for what it's worth, I was hoarse after Saturday - but the two Morecambe goals Saturday both deflated the crowd, massively.

Conversely, though, there is such a groundswell of hope for this team, that good stuff happening on the pitch, will result in good support off it - I'm sure of it. Everyone lost their sh1t for both goals on Saturday.

We have had a few goals against those pricks from up the road, and Tamas Priskin, to celebrate in almost 15 years. Nothing else. That's nuts. We need something to shout about, and then the noise, and support, will come - I'm sure of it.

Luckily I think we're gonna get it, this season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024