Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
State of the Board Discussion 18:16 - Jun 5 with 61184 viewsPhilTWTD

Another not overly pleasant day on here, even though we've had a signing, even if not a particularly high profile one.

Despite its not particularly brilliant or insightful starting point the 'All these protesters' thread has rather got to the crux of one of the bigger issues at the moment.

There are a number of posters who, rather than engaging in debate on an issue - political, brexit-related usually - post an insult aimed at a group they disagree with or something deliberately inflammatory without having any intention of involving themselves in any actual debate. It's all got very snipey, not just at other users but in a wider sense, protesters being today's target.

The forum has always been a friendly, inclusive place, welcoming to all, a community. Disagreements and argument maybe, but for the most part there's been an underlying geniality and good humour, posters have helped one another out and looked out for one another. This does appear to be being undermined by the recent unpleasant undertone.

While we've always been the ones running the site, we've never sought to be overly dictatorial. We've often put matters relating to it to posters. I don't particularly like banning people (although we have banned one user as Gav had an investigate and discovered a long-banned user with a new name), I usually give posters more than enough warnings to give them ample chance to use the board in line with the manner in which most others post.

Should we be a bit more draconian in how we police this sort of thing? Getting a bit fed up with how the last few days have progressed. We've gone from abuse PMs being a rarity to them becoming frequent most days. Have had a fair bit going on away from TWTD lately and haven't really needed the additional unnecessary hassle.

Obviously the sort of nonsense outlined above needs to end or we will have to ban a few more users, but any thoughts on how else we can try to get things back to normal?
State of the Board Discussion on 21:18 - Jun 7 with 3554 viewsDarth_Koont

State of the Board Discussion on 20:53 - Jun 7 by J2BLUE

Oh yes, i've dared change my mind a couple of times. I'm such an idiot.

Wouldn't it be nice is more people could change their minds and admit they've got something wrong? We might not be heading for a hard Brexit in that case.

I'm pulling your chain. I think it's to your credit you're willing to change your mind.

But there's no reason to have a strong opinion about things you haven't really investigated.

Like me and cricket. It seems awful and I don't like it but I don't know enough to wade into a cricket discussion.

Pronouns: He/Him

State of the Board Discussion on 21:21 - Jun 7 with 3544 viewsJ2BLUE

State of the Board Discussion on 21:18 - Jun 7 by Darth_Koont

I'm pulling your chain. I think it's to your credit you're willing to change your mind.

But there's no reason to have a strong opinion about things you haven't really investigated.

Like me and cricket. It seems awful and I don't like it but I don't know enough to wade into a cricket discussion.

I keep hearing this. I don't think it applies to anything i've had an opinion on. Before the vote I felt strongly we should leave and posted at length why. Since the vote things have changed significantly.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

State of the Board Discussion on 21:21 - Jun 7 with 3544 viewswkj

State of the Board Discussion on 21:17 - Jun 7 by J2BLUE

I agree. Are you suggesting I have done this?

More like challenging you on it. I would love to elaborate more but prefer to do so over PM rather than here.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

State of the Board Discussion on 21:25 - Jun 7 with 3528 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

State of the Board Discussion on 21:17 - Jun 7 by StochesStotasBlewe

That must sting somewhat.

It takes the mind off the flagellation.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

State of the Board Discussion on 21:26 - Jun 7 with 3523 viewsSuperblue95

State of the Board Discussion on 20:08 - Jun 7 by witchdoctor

😂😂😂😂

Ah a laugh at one of my posts, it’s about time.

See you next year TWTD

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

State of the Board Discussion on 21:27 - Jun 7 with 3517 viewsJ2BLUE

State of the Board Discussion on 21:21 - Jun 7 by wkj

More like challenging you on it. I would love to elaborate more but prefer to do so over PM rather than here.

As you wish

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

State of the Board Discussion on 21:41 - Jun 7 with 3489 viewsDarth_Koont

State of the Board Discussion on 21:21 - Jun 7 by J2BLUE

I keep hearing this. I don't think it applies to anything i've had an opinion on. Before the vote I felt strongly we should leave and posted at length why. Since the vote things have changed significantly.

I'm being harsh. We've disagreed on Brexit back in the day and the whys and wherefores of Scottish Independence. So if it were most other subjects (apart from a sharp cheddar and Shefki) then I wouldn't be involved.

Think what you want. And continue to question me, others and yourself!

State of the Board Discussion on 21:47 - Jun 7 with 3473 viewsRyorry

State of the Board Discussion on 20:59 - Jun 7 by wkj

It would be nice if people who do change their mind and apologise for getting it wrong don't get ignored and shunned for admitting they got it wrong.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 21:01]

Well I was going to do this via an edit to one of my posts on p.11 as I thought the thread had taken a different direction this afternoon & I didn't want to stir up old embers, but you've actually given me a very apt hook here wkj, thanks -

Would just like to say re the convo between DK & myself on here either side of midnight last night/this a.m. (p.11) that his posts actually triggered some quite significant memory recall for me. I had actually forgotten that I'd posted on 2nd June in the heat of the moment on the 14-pager anti-Semitism thread referring to an old thread (a few months ago I think) in which I thought DK was coming out with sexist abuse. He wasn't, it was a complex thread with posts quoting others every few seconds, & he accidentally got caught up with someone else's comments.

So apologies on both counts DK, and people will no doubt be glad to know that a good-natured truce has been arrived at via PMs. Well, till he receives my mud-pie throwing challenge anyway
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 21:48]

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Login to get fewer ads

State of the Board Discussion on 21:54 - Jun 7 with 3457 viewsDarth_Koont

State of the Board Discussion on 21:47 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

Well I was going to do this via an edit to one of my posts on p.11 as I thought the thread had taken a different direction this afternoon & I didn't want to stir up old embers, but you've actually given me a very apt hook here wkj, thanks -

Would just like to say re the convo between DK & myself on here either side of midnight last night/this a.m. (p.11) that his posts actually triggered some quite significant memory recall for me. I had actually forgotten that I'd posted on 2nd June in the heat of the moment on the 14-pager anti-Semitism thread referring to an old thread (a few months ago I think) in which I thought DK was coming out with sexist abuse. He wasn't, it was a complex thread with posts quoting others every few seconds, & he accidentally got caught up with someone else's comments.

So apologies on both counts DK, and people will no doubt be glad to know that a good-natured truce has been arrived at via PMs. Well, till he receives my mud-pie throwing challenge anyway

Thanks R. I appreciate it.

Bring it on! I can throw a mud pie. It's basically an organic rugby ball.

State of the Board Discussion on 22:06 - Jun 7 with 3427 viewswkj

Hi Ryorry. Please don't think that was me having a sly dig at you. That was me having an emotional breakdown because of something I had caused unwittingly. I'm glad a bit of unity could come of it though. Lot of good people showing their humility and good intentions on this post over all. Perhaps this post is all Phil needed to do to heal the world.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 22:07]

State of the Board Discussion on 22:40 - Jun 7 with 3378 viewsRyorry

State of the Board Discussion on 22:06 - Jun 7 by wkj

Hi Ryorry. Please don't think that was me having a sly dig at you. That was me having an emotional breakdown because of something I had caused unwittingly. I'm glad a bit of unity could come of it though. Lot of good people showing their humility and good intentions on this post over all. Perhaps this post is all Phil needed to do to heal the world.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 22:07]

Hi wkj - No, absolutely not, hadn't even occurred to me that it could be at me, no worries.

Yes, good positive stuff out of it. And a 20-pager by Phil! - his first ever? We should donate him an Audi, along with his Ig Nobel prize and medal!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ig_Nobel_Prize

Poll: Time of the annunciation

State of the Board Discussion on 22:46 - Jun 7 with 3367 viewswkj

State of the Board Discussion on 22:51 - Jun 7 with 3360 viewsDarth_Koont

State of the Board Discussion on 22:46 - Jun 7 by wkj

Communist.

State of the Board Discussion on 22:53 - Jun 7 with 3355 viewswkj

State of the Board Discussion on 22:51 - Jun 7 by Darth_Koont

Communist.

I beg to differ, I hate using public toilets

State of the Board Discussion on 23:01 - Jun 7 with 3342 viewsDarth_Koont

State of the Board Discussion on 22:53 - Jun 7 by wkj

I beg to differ, I hate using public toilets

Even worse, you're a Trotskyite that wants the soft touch of velvety Andrex after perusing your copy of Workers' Fight.

Sickening.

State of the Board Discussion on 23:07 - Jun 7 with 3336 viewswkj

State of the Board Discussion on 23:01 - Jun 7 by Darth_Koont

Even worse, you're a Trotskyite that wants the soft touch of velvety Andrex after perusing your copy of Workers' Fight.

Sickening.

With shea butter? You bet

State of the Board Discussion on 00:57 - Jun 8 with 3278 viewsHerbivore

Fair play to you for this, very admirable humility on display.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

State of the Board Discussion on 00:59 - Jun 8 with 3274 viewsHerbivore

State of the Board Discussion on 21:21 - Jun 7 by J2BLUE

I'm not convinced much has changed materially. Your perspective has changed massively but that's another matter.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

State of the Board Discussion on 01:39 - Jun 8 with 3259 viewsBluestar

Whutsup peeps?!
State of the Board Discussion on 11:59 - Jun 8 with 3090 viewsMJallday

State of the Board Discussion on 19:17 - Jun 7 by pickles110564

Well that's ok as i am old.

we have a fair few "seniors" in my main guild (you can join 5) - it makes for a leisurely play experience. the youngsters tend to go off and get slaughterd by the dragons whilst we just sit at the back and point and laugh :)

for £4.99 - i can honestly say ive never paid less for what is now over 130 DAYS of gametime entertainment. astonishing, given the whole thing is in 4k HDR, has 14miion players a month and the size it is (the current game stands at 120gb or so)

i literally live on there. id urge anybody who is into MMO's to play it.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

State of the Board Discussion on 12:17 - Jun 8 with 3077 viewspickles110564

State of the Board Discussion on 11:59 - Jun 8 by MJallday

we have a fair few "seniors" in my main guild (you can join 5) - it makes for a leisurely play experience. the youngsters tend to go off and get slaughterd by the dragons whilst we just sit at the back and point and laugh :)

for £4.99 - i can honestly say ive never paid less for what is now over 130 DAYS of gametime entertainment. astonishing, given the whole thing is in 4k HDR, has 14miion players a month and the size it is (the current game stands at 120gb or so)

i literally live on there. id urge anybody who is into MMO's to play it.

At the moment I'm on Azuremyst but will look for a pvp server and guild when classic starts.
Played rated arena last night and got lucky plugging a holy pala. Turns out he was in his 50's too. It was chilled games and understanding while we learnt to play together. Ended up with just under 1500 rating and winning slightly over 50% of the games.
State of the Board Discussion on 12:20 - Jun 8 with 3071 viewspickles110564

State of the Board Discussion on 12:17 - Jun 8 by pickles110564

At the moment I'm on Azuremyst but will look for a pvp server and guild when classic starts.
Played rated arena last night and got lucky plugging a holy pala. Turns out he was in his 50's too. It was chilled games and understanding while we learnt to play together. Ended up with just under 1500 rating and winning slightly over 50% of the games.

Meant to add dont think this expansion is that great for pvp as the raiders come in with top gear. Liked it better when we had to earn specific pvp gear.
State of the Board Discussion on 12:34 - Jun 8 with 3049 viewsMJallday

State of the Board Discussion on 12:20 - Jun 8 by pickles110564

Meant to add dont think this expansion is that great for pvp as the raiders come in with top gear. Liked it better when we had to earn specific pvp gear.

ESO is split into specific PVP and PVE areas, so you wont get killed unwittingly. i like that. im not much of a PVP'er but ill do it when theres a group of us, or im pushing for Emporer on a low level campaign.

If you ever play it, i urge you to try the PVE 1 man content "veteran maelstrom arena" - which is possibly the most frustrating,upsetting and traumatic - but yet rewarding piece of computer game content i have ever done in close on 35 years of playing games.

i consider myself a relatively calm person, but i've thrown my controller at the TV on more than one occasion whilst playing this. people have smashed their houses and TV's up because of this place. its got a serious reputation.

ive never known a place like it to do what it does to a person. Its like the content knows how well you are doing and then suddenly without warning kicks you in the nuts, putting you back to square 1.

when i completed it for the first time (it took me 6-9 months of learning it) - i actually cried and i'm not even joking. the weird thing, EVERYONE goes through the same emotional journey - which is what makes it brilliant.

weirdest bit, i can clear it in about an hour now. but my first clear - it was genuinely emotional. it literally felt liek that bit at the end of the shawshank redemption when Andy Dufrey climbs out of the sewers!

i spend most of my time doing the 12 man trials and 4 man dungeons these days - that and helping out newbies in my guilds.

id urge anyone to play ESO - it is fabulous - take a look at some of the videos online.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

State of the Board Discussion on 12:36 - Jun 8 with 3044 viewspickles110564

State of the Board Discussion on 12:34 - Jun 8 by MJallday

ESO is split into specific PVP and PVE areas, so you wont get killed unwittingly. i like that. im not much of a PVP'er but ill do it when theres a group of us, or im pushing for Emporer on a low level campaign.

If you ever play it, i urge you to try the PVE 1 man content "veteran maelstrom arena" - which is possibly the most frustrating,upsetting and traumatic - but yet rewarding piece of computer game content i have ever done in close on 35 years of playing games.

i consider myself a relatively calm person, but i've thrown my controller at the TV on more than one occasion whilst playing this. people have smashed their houses and TV's up because of this place. its got a serious reputation.

ive never known a place like it to do what it does to a person. Its like the content knows how well you are doing and then suddenly without warning kicks you in the nuts, putting you back to square 1.

when i completed it for the first time (it took me 6-9 months of learning it) - i actually cried and i'm not even joking. the weird thing, EVERYONE goes through the same emotional journey - which is what makes it brilliant.

weirdest bit, i can clear it in about an hour now. but my first clear - it was genuinely emotional. it literally felt liek that bit at the end of the shawshank redemption when Andy Dufrey climbs out of the sewers!

i spend most of my time doing the 12 man trials and 4 man dungeons these days - that and helping out newbies in my guilds.

id urge anyone to play ESO - it is fabulous - take a look at some of the videos online.

I will ask my son about it when he finishes his 18th Birthday treat at the Gun club.
State of the Board Discussion on 12:40 - Jun 8 with 3041 viewsbluelagos

My twopenneth...

When you are unhappy with a poster, give them a warning and a week ban. Second time, make it a fortnight, 3rd time cheerio.

Posters may reform and if they refuse, you get rid.

I'd maybe consider having some mods. You don't have the time and some arguments could be stopped way quicker.

Lastly, I'd think the enforced mutual ignore could be a goer where 2 otherwise OK posters simply can't respond to each other.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024