Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket 12:00 - Jan 3 with 5312 viewsKeno

on a Pink Floyd album

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46724727

I guess thats a great gig in the sky

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:37 - Jan 3 with 4325 viewsStokieBlue

This article is bad even for the Guardian Science section:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/03/space-race-china-change-4-

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:42 - Jan 3 with 4319 viewsLord_Lucan

How apt - I'm in China at the moment but I can't access the link as the BBC is quite rightly blocked.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:45 - Jan 3 with 4309 viewsBluesquid

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:37 - Jan 3 by StokieBlue

This article is bad even for the Guardian Science section:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/03/space-race-china-change-4-

SB

"Is China in the lead?"

Well regarding The Moon i'd say so, didn't NASA Astronaut Don Pettit say that they don't have the technology anymore?

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:48 - Jan 3 with 4304 viewsWithnail

Saturn has the second largest ring in the solar system.

The largest is the BBC's paedophile ring.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2019 14:49]
So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:50 - Jan 3 with 4295 viewsjjblue84

Can’t believe it’s taken the Chinese 50 YEARS after the US...

...to fake the moon landings!!
So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:52 - Jan 3 with 4287 viewsStokieBlue

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:45 - Jan 3 by Bluesquid

"Is China in the lead?"

Well regarding The Moon i'd say so, didn't NASA Astronaut Don Pettit say that they don't have the technology anymore?

They clearly aren't in the lead, the US and Russia are quite some way ahead, the rocket the Chinese use is a modified Soviet design after all. The Chinese are certainly making very good progress but the hyperbole and anti-Western articles are quite annoying. It's excellent the Chinese are serious about space exploration though.

That's either a hugely misleading post or you don't understand what you've posted. That video is talking about landing people on the moon not a rover/lander. The US could land a rover on the moon anytime they liked, they managed to land one on Mars last month which is a far, far, far harder task. It's possible that a private US company will beat both the US and China to putting a person on the moon.

Only a few days ago the US managed a successful flyby of an object in the Kuiper belt, nobody else is anywhere near doing anything remotely like that.

SB
[Post edited 3 Jan 2019 14:55]

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:54 - Jan 3 with 4282 viewsDanTheMan

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:45 - Jan 3 by Bluesquid

"Is China in the lead?"

I think they are talking about the fact that by now all the manned landers are gone, the factories making the sort of stuff needed for manned missions. You can rebuild it but that'll take time. I'm sure if you asked a car company to build cars they were building back in the 1960s they might struggle.

Although on a related note you can go have a look at the code used to go to the Moon (although I get the feeling you don't think it happened).

https://github.com/chrislgarry/Apollo-11

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:56 - Jan 3 with 4276 viewsStokieBlue

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:54 - Jan 3 by DanTheMan

I think they are talking about the fact that by now all the manned landers are gone, the factories making the sort of stuff needed for manned missions. You can rebuild it but that'll take time. I'm sure if you asked a car company to build cars they were building back in the 1960s they might struggle.

Although on a related note you can go have a look at the code used to go to the Moon (although I get the feeling you don't think it happened).

That's great! Thanks!

SB

Login to get fewer ads

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:58 - Jan 3 with 4266 viewsDanTheMan

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:56 - Jan 3 by StokieBlue

That's great! Thanks!

SB

I quite like the name of this routine:
https://github.com/chrislgarry/Apollo-11/blob/master/Luminary099/BURN_BABY_BURN-

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:01 - Jan 3 with 4259 viewsWhymarkmariner

It's a pity the World didn't concentrate on feeding the starving and homeless instead of spending millions of pounds, dollars, yen or whatever on sending pieces of expensive junk into orbit and then enthusing about a lake found on some distant planet . Leaders of all Countries need to reel in their glutinous greed (that includes you,Mr. Blair) and concentrate on the real needs of "Real" people, presumably if your one of those plastic people there's a 5p charge on you.
So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:08 - Jan 3 with 4247 viewsDanTheMan

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:01 - Jan 3 by Whymarkmariner

It's a pity the World didn't concentrate on feeding the starving and homeless instead of spending millions of pounds, dollars, yen or whatever on sending pieces of expensive junk into orbit and then enthusing about a lake found on some distant planet . Leaders of all Countries need to reel in their glutinous greed (that includes you,Mr. Blair) and concentrate on the real needs of "Real" people, presumably if your one of those plastic people there's a 5p charge on you.

That's not how science works. Without doing things like this we wouldn't have things like GPS or satellites that help predict natural disasters before they happen. It's not an either / or situation.

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:11 - Jan 3 with 4245 viewsfooters

Hope they don't Meddle with any of the Animals up there after a Momentary Lapse of Reason.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:15 - Jan 3 with 4233 viewsBluesquid

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:52 - Jan 3 by StokieBlue

They clearly aren't in the lead, the US and Russia are quite some way ahead, the rocket the Chinese use is a modified Soviet design after all. The Chinese are certainly making very good progress but the hyperbole and anti-Western articles are quite annoying. It's excellent the Chinese are serious about space exploration though.

That's either a hugely misleading post or you don't understand what you've posted. That video is talking about landing people on the moon not a rover/lander. The US could land a rover on the moon anytime they liked, they managed to land one on Mars last month which is a far, far, far harder task. It's possible that a private US company will beat both the US and China to putting a person on the moon.

Only a few days ago the US managed a successful flyby of an object in the Kuiper belt, nobody else is anywhere near doing anything remotely like that.

SB

Fair dinkum, im no expert, im just going on what NASA astronaut and chemical engineer Don Pettit has said.
So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:20 - Jan 3 with 4225 viewsBluesquid

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 14:54 - Jan 3 by DanTheMan

"Although on a related note you can go have a look at the code used to go to the Moon (although I get the feeling you don't think it happened)."

I'm a little unsure, lol...

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:31 - Jan 3 with 4209 viewsDanTheMan

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:20 - Jan 3 by Bluesquid

"Although on a related note you can go have a look at the code used to go to the Moon (although I get the feeling you don't think it happened)."

Well I watched a few minutes of that. Now I could be wrong, but if the microphone is in his suit and he's holding the hammer when striking something, the sounds waves could travel through the suit and into the mic.

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:37 - Jan 3 with 4201 viewsStokieBlue

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:20 - Jan 3 by Bluesquid

I think pushing this nonsense is rather insulting to the men and woman who worked hard to accomplish such an achievement.

Let’s hope that in your lifetime nobody feels the need to belittle and devalue whatever your greatest achievement may be.

SB

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:37 - Jan 3 with 4198 viewsBluesquid

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:31 - Jan 3 by DanTheMan

Well I watched a few minutes of that. Now I could be wrong, but if the microphone is in his suit and he's holding the hammer when striking something, the sounds waves could travel through the suit and into the mic.

Please watch the whole clip, it's covered.
So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:40 - Jan 3 with 4188 viewsBluesquid

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:37 - Jan 3 by StokieBlue

I think pushing this nonsense is rather insulting to the men and woman who worked hard to accomplish such an achievement.

Let’s hope that in your lifetime nobody feels the need to belittle and devalue whatever your greatest achievement may be.

SB

Stokie? How about just discussing what's covered in the clip?

At least Dan came with a possible explanation, which i might add is covered later in the clip.
So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:45 - Jan 3 with 4176 viewsWhymarkmariner

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:08 - Jan 3 by DanTheMan

That's not how science works. Without doing things like this we wouldn't have things like GPS or satellites that help predict natural disasters before they happen. It's not an either / or situation.

It's o.k. predicting natural disasters but getting the people out of these areas where they happen doesn't happen quickly enough and usually relies on mobilising troops and rescue workers from other Country and if GPS is so great why does it keep sending lorries to a low bridge near me. Also the Chinese are more interested in dominating the World and pinching other Countries technologies than looking after their own people. Many of whom, like other nations poor will have died long before any probes information is used for new technology.
So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:46 - Jan 3 with 4175 viewsDanTheMan

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:40 - Jan 3 by Bluesquid

Stokie? How about just discussing what's covered in the clip?

At least Dan came with a possible explanation, which i might add is covered later in the clip.

OK watched a bit more now and they've claimed the ISS (which you can literally see) is a hoax.

Also a reason you could potentially hear the hammer blows vs. the power tool is because hammering something is difficult, especially on the Moon. So if they exhale loudly enough the microphone enables and captures the hammer blow.

I'm out though, this is some buckwild stuff.

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:55 - Jan 3 with 4158 viewsBluesquid

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:46 - Jan 3 by DanTheMan

OK watched a bit more now and they've claimed the ISS (which you can literally see) is a hoax.

Also a reason you could potentially hear the hammer blows vs. the power tool is because hammering something is difficult, especially on the Moon. So if they exhale loudly enough the microphone enables and captures the hammer blow.

I'm out though, this is some buckwild stuff.

"Also a reason you could potentially hear the hammer blows vs. the power tool is because hammering something is difficult, especially on the Moon. So if they exhale loudly enough the microphone enables and captures the hammer blow."

Of course your now out, i think anyone would be after posting that!

"...exhale loudly enough the microphone enables and captures the hammer blow."

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 16:06 - Jan 3 with 4136 viewsDanTheMan

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 15:55 - Jan 3 by Bluesquid

"Also a reason you could potentially hear the hammer blows vs. the power tool is because hammering something is difficult, especially on the Moon. So if they exhale loudly enough the microphone enables and captures the hammer blow."

Of course your now out, i think anyone would be after posting that!

"...exhale loudly enough the microphone enables and captures the hammer blow."

You ever spoken to someone in a call centre where when they are talking you can hear all the background noise but when they are silent you hear nothing? The ambient noise isn't enough to trigger the threshold on the mic but their voice is and the background noise is then picked up.

So yes, if they were doing something already difficult where you are exherting yourself like hammering something on the Moon, they could easily make enough noise whilst doing so to trigger the microphone and then you'd get the sound.

You're right though, that's much more out there than an elaborate scheme involving potentially thousands of people to fake a moon landing. Crazy!

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 16:13 - Jan 3 with 4126 viewsStokieBlue

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 16:06 - Jan 3 by DanTheMan

You ever spoken to someone in a call centre where when they are talking you can hear all the background noise but when they are silent you hear nothing? The ambient noise isn't enough to trigger the threshold on the mic but their voice is and the background noise is then picked up.

So yes, if they were doing something already difficult where you are exherting yourself like hammering something on the Moon, they could easily make enough noise whilst doing so to trigger the microphone and then you'd get the sound.

You're right though, that's much more out there than an elaborate scheme involving potentially thousands of people to fake a moon landing. Crazy!

Don't forget the Russians, the arch-enemy.

They would have needed to be in on it as well.

SB

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 16:15 - Jan 3 with 4124 viewsBluesquid

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 16:06 - Jan 3 by DanTheMan

"and then you'd get the sound."

But that's just it DanTheMan, there is no sound on the surface of the moon or in space.

Go to 5 minutes and 53 seconds in that clip and read.

In fact, watch the whole clip again.
So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 17:55 - Jan 3 with 4077 viewsDanTheMan

So it seems the Chinese has landed a rocket on 16:15 - Jan 3 by Bluesquid

"and then you'd get the sound."

But that's just it DanTheMan, there is no sound on the surface of the moon or in space.

Go to 5 minutes and 53 seconds in that clip and read.

In fact, watch the whole clip again.

No, the sound cannot travel through the atmosphere as there is no matter for the waves to transfer through. There is sound through matter though like a hammer connected to a glove.

And I've watched it again and they still don't explain why it's not possible. They just said it isn't possible and use an interview to try and prove that it isn't. It's interesting they leave off the next line in the conversation:

[Bean - "I don't remember. I was so concentrated...The problem with hammering is that...Well, I'm a good carpenter, but you can't come straight down (with your arm in the suit). That's why they made the hammer bigger and everybody used the side. You can't do a nice smooth swing. You get it going (straight down) and then the cable cuts in and moves it over. So you try to adjust your swing and then you miss. Lot of missing."]

It is also possible that just because his human ears could not pick it up, does not mean that the mic could not. That's fairly common.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024