Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Behind the scenes 07:20 - Apr 11 with 1894 viewsmuccletonjoe

The club has just been bought out , following hard on the heels of a new manager 4 weeks ago.
A certain amount of upheaval must be inevitable , players are starting to leave the club ( 6 fringe players just a few days ago), a new CEO to be appointed shortly, a new Chairman.
On top of this Cook has the unenviable task of keeping the players minds focused on the games ahead.
A turbulent time , there is no doubt.
The question of whether Cook was aware ; a) that the takeover was imminent and b) who his new employers would be , is a point many fans will be mulling over today, in light of his no shows at two consecutive press briefings .
There can be no doubt , the clubs situation , regarding a takeover was known to him at some level and the possibility must surely have been included in his decision to take the job.
But as we all know, football is a ruthless profession both on and especially off the field.
Can Cook work with the new owners ?
They have said he was there preferred manager and they were consulted by Marcus Evan's before he appointed him. The question remains how much Paul Cook knew about this and the time frame he was working with.
The week ahead ,may be will hold the answers.
But if I were the new owners, I would very much want to keep the manager happy
Behind the scenes on 07:24 - Apr 11 with 1852 viewstextbackup

PC must have known this was happening, but if ME kept it from him, or kept details from him, hes yet again fcked up in the managerial appointed at the club he owned.

and some people thanked him on wednesday

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Behind the scenes on 07:27 - Apr 11 with 1828 viewsmuccletonjoe

Behind the scenes on 07:24 - Apr 11 by textbackup

PC must have known this was happening, but if ME kept it from him, or kept details from him, hes yet again fcked up in the managerial appointed at the club he owned.

Well , this is exactly what a lot of people are thinking, knowing the way Marcus Evans worked at the club.. it would surprise no one
Behind the scenes on 07:30 - Apr 11 with 1806 viewstextbackup

Behind the scenes on 07:27 - Apr 11 by muccletonjoe

Well , this is exactly what a lot of people are thinking, knowing the way Marcus Evans worked at the club.. it would surprise no one

however, my understanding is that a CEO doesn't pick the team, that is still the managers role, and however this ceo is he'll see the CV Cook has and im guessing would leave him to the footballing side. the club is in a massive mess so a ceo will be more than busy sorting out the rest of the sht

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Behind the scenes on 07:31 - Apr 11 with 1797 viewsWD19

Behind the scenes on 07:24 - Apr 11 by textbackup

An NDA is an NDA. It doesn’t mean ‘but you can disclose to some people if they seem like a nice bloke and they promise not to say anything’.
Behind the scenes on 07:37 - Apr 11 with 1768 viewsWeWereZombies

Take a step back:

The culture at the club needs to change

A significant number of player contracts are up at the end of the season (and work has already begun on reducing the squad size)

Paul Cook has probably already got most of his management team together but they have a volume of work to get through to improve matters, Leam Richardson will no doubt stay at Wigan if given the manager's job full time, Matt Gill did a sterling stint at the helm after Lambert left and his taking the post match interview could reinforce his continuing in post as a vital part of the team leading the coaching side. It is the scouting and medical side that still needs improvement before the drive to recruit in the summer to deliver a squad that is fit for purpose.

Whether we remain a Third Division side or sneak into the play offs and then sneak into the Championship will also have a defining effect on recruitment - we deserve better as supporters than has been delivered to us during the Marcus Evans era but we are also a typical bunch of football supporters in that we expect every management change, player signing, even every substitution, to provide instant results. This project is going to take time and will test everyone's patience.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Behind the scenes on 07:39 - Apr 11 with 1753 viewsmuccletonjoe

Behind the scenes on 07:31 - Apr 11 by WD19

An NDA is an NDA. It doesn’t mean ‘but you can disclose to some people if they seem like a nice bloke and they promise not to say anything’.

This is true regarding all information on the details of the sale and the financial arrangements. Not so sure if it would prohibit Cook from knowing in general terms that a takeover " could" be on the cards. Though you are right, that an NDA may well have prohibited him from knowing the interested party
Behind the scenes on 07:43 - Apr 11 with 1720 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Behind the scenes on 07:31 - Apr 11 by WD19

Depends who issued the original NDA.

If it was issued by ME, he could issue information to PC on the basis of an NDA.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Behind the scenes on 07:44 - Apr 11 with 1698 viewsWeWereZombies

Behind the scenes on 07:39 - Apr 11 by muccletonjoe

This is true regarding all information on the details of the sale and the financial arrangements. Not so sure if it would prohibit Cook from knowing in general terms that a takeover " could" be on the cards. Though you are right, that an NDA may well have prohibited him from knowing the interested party

Cook's agent will have made him aware of all the issues surrounding Ipswich Town, and no doubt discreetly sounded out Gamechanger 20 on their intentions. The terms of Cook's contract (and the fee earned by that agent) will have reflected the possible outcomes.

Login to get fewer ads

Behind the scenes on 07:47 - Apr 11 with 1675 viewsmuccletonjoe

Behind the scenes on 07:43 - Apr 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

If it was issued by ME, he could issue information to PC on the basis of an NDA.

But not if it was Gamechanger. Its guesswork. But I think it is safe to say that Paul Cooks information about the whole thing was "limited" at the very best.
Behind the scenes on 08:02 - Apr 11 with 1580 viewsgordon

"it's understood that Evans had told the new Blues boss that he was looking at bringing in further investment rather than selling the club outright."

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/cook-relieved-after-talks-with-new-cha

The EADT wouldn't be saying this if it wasn't accurate. It's absurd to think that PC would be reading speculation on twitter or TWTD when Evans has directly told him what's happening.
Behind the scenes on 08:07 - Apr 11 with 1545 viewsgordon

Behind the scenes on 07:47 - Apr 11 by muccletonjoe

But not if it was Gamechanger. Its guesswork. But I think it is safe to say that Paul Cooks information about the whole thing was "limited" at the very best.

But if gamechanger are about to bring in Mark Ashton to handle x y and z, then I can't see how gamechanger gain from Paul Cook not being made aware of this?

Surely it would have been in their interest to have ME be as open as possible with PC to prevent the situation unfolding now?

The only person who gained from not having PC fully informed was ME, because it meant he had a manager in place in case the takeover fell through & the chance to see if PC won his first 5 games and ME could cancel the takeover and have a glory day at Wembley etc.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 8:08]
Behind the scenes on 08:08 - Apr 11 with 1529 viewsWD19

Behind the scenes on 07:43 - Apr 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

Yes, and if it had been issued by me he could have asked me, but it wasn’t.

None of us know how it worked.
Behind the scenes on 08:12 - Apr 11 with 1494 viewsgordon

Behind the scenes on 08:08 - Apr 11 by WD19

Yes, and if it had been issued by me he could have asked me, but it wasn’t.

None of us know how it worked.

Surely the reason Cook wasn't fully informed will be because then he would have said 'no f**king way.'
Behind the scenes on 08:14 - Apr 11 with 1465 viewsWD19

Behind the scenes on 08:12 - Apr 11 by gordon

Surely the reason Cook wasn't fully informed will be because then he would have said 'no f**king way.'

That’s certainly your opinion. As an opinion goes it’s very definitely one that you subscribe to.
Behind the scenes on 08:18 - Apr 11 with 1396 viewsgordon

Behind the scenes on 08:14 - Apr 11 by WD19

That’s certainly your opinion. As an opinion goes it’s very definitely one that you subscribe to.

The other possibility is that Gamechanger told ME not to discuss it with PC - thus ensuring that their era started off with a big mess to sort out?
Behind the scenes on 08:23 - Apr 11 with 1350 viewsChurchman

I agree with all of this but would say that the priority is getting the structure of the club right. Then get the people in to fit that structure if they are not already at the club. It’s exactly the same as what Cook wants to do with the team.

If Cook is not happy with that, then you look for somebody that is. I like Cook and actually if it was my decision as new owner and he was who I wanted the first thing I’d do is pay him more and extend his contract. As the key figure in the club, he’d be guaranteed to be paid the highest.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 8:25]
Behind the scenes on 08:31 - Apr 11 with 1280 viewsWD19

Behind the scenes on 08:23 - Apr 11 by Churchman

I agree with all of this but would say that the priority is getting the structure of the club right. Then get the people in to fit that structure if they are not already at the club. It’s exactly the same as what Cook wants to do with the team.

If Cook is not happy with that, then you look for somebody that is. I like Cook and actually if it was my decision as new owner and he was who I wanted the first thing I’d do is pay him more and extend his contract. As the key figure in the club, he’d be guaranteed to be paid the highest.

That’s a very decent shout actually. The one slightly weird thing about the whole Cook signing was the (relatively) short contract (by ME standards).

So if this was not at Cooks instigation it screams that ME was not planning for the long term (which Cook and his advisors will have seen).

But what it is, is the perfect tee-up for new owners to come in and give a proper vote of confidence.
Behind the scenes on 08:37 - Apr 11 with 1231 viewsGuthrum

Absolutely. Effective structure is a major thing which has been lacking in the club. Putting that right is more important than almost anything else.

Altho I personally hope Cook wants to be part of that and will continue to be.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Behind the scenes on 09:08 - Apr 11 with 1093 viewsWeWereZombies

Πολλὰ μεταξὺ πέλει κύλικος καὶ χείλεος ἄκρου (many a slip 'twixt cup and lip), with all the new arrangements and working relationships that need extensive development I would suggest that an extension to his contract is almost the last thing to offer Cook. Substantial transfer funds, new backroom staff and contracts for existing and new players will eat up money and tie down options enough. Cook needs to prove that he can make the team work on the pitch and that he can provide a good fit for the club before he gets the rewards in my opinion.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024