Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone got a static caravan.... 16:24 - Aug 2 with 3286 viewsitfcjoe

.....thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

Pitch fees etc are expensive but can use it all year round, my eldest starts school in September so need a school holiday option that doesn't cost an arm and a leg each time we want to get away!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 16:30 - Aug 2 with 2901 viewsBluefish

Off on a bit of a tangent to the question but abroad holidays in the school summer holidays don't have to be quite as ridiculous. Just book the Components yourself and shop around. I've used a travel agent once since 2001 and got abroad at least once every year, the once I did use one for was by far the worst of the lot and worst value. I absolutely love planning our holidays and finding deals and reading reviews

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 16:32 - Aug 2 with 2903 viewsMrTown

The in-laws have one, somewhere along the Essex coast.

I know they got a pitch fee deal upon purchase - 0% year 1, 50% year 2, 75% year 3, 100% year 4 - at which point they will chop in and start the process again.

I've never been sure on them, but when I went for the first time, really impressed, great piece of kit, as they call it, it's their 'bolthole', and they love it. Rip the BBQ up, couple of beers, Wifi installed, decking attached.

The biggest issue as you would expect - the bloody British weather, and if the weather is bad, it can leave you with little to do.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 16:32]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 16:52 - Aug 2 with 2817 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Expensive things and its an ongoing process, your pitch gets moved every year to keep the nice vans at the 'front' and the fees do ramp up.

I have considered it but I have turned my attention to perhaps a beach hut. Saw a couple for sale on Felixstowe beach front yesterday evening when I went for my regular Sunday night fish and chips on the front.
Anyone got a static caravan.... on 17:00 - Aug 2 with 2768 viewsblue62

My parents used to have one and bought it with some friends so the costs were shared and they either went with the friends or alternate weeks. But a good way to keep the costs down.

It's like anything else, if you use it enough then it won't cost a fortune, if you go there for a couple of weeks every summer then it's a big expense.

Thought of just renting one at least you could try different sites to save you from getting bored with the same location every time.
Anyone got a static caravan.... on 17:02 - Aug 2 with 2755 viewsEwan_Oozami

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 16:52 - Aug 2 by BlueBlueBluex2

Expensive things and its an ongoing process, your pitch gets moved every year to keep the nice vans at the 'front' and the fees do ramp up.

I have considered it but I have turned my attention to perhaps a beach hut. Saw a couple for sale on Felixstowe beach front yesterday evening when I went for my regular Sunday night fish and chips on the front.

You can get a static caravan cheaper then a Felixstowe beach hut....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 17:18 - Aug 2 with 2667 viewsfabian_illness

There are a few going cheap over at Jaywick.
Anyone got a static caravan.... on 17:25 - Aug 2 with 2638 viewsSitfcB

Message EatonBlue - he owns one at Hopton. (And hires it out)

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 17:29 - Aug 2 with 2616 viewstextbackup

Mother in law has one up Caister (haven)
Renting out pays for all pitch fees and some

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 17:46 - Aug 2 with 2487 viewsElderGrizzly

My parents bought one last year as a pandemic get-away option, that they'll sell on in 18 month or so.

£55k for a 3 bed and £3,500 a year in site fees before you even start. It isn't a cheap option
Anyone got a static caravan.... on 18:07 - Aug 2 with 2398 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 16:32 - Aug 2 by MrTown

The in-laws have one, somewhere along the Essex coast.

I know they got a pitch fee deal upon purchase - 0% year 1, 50% year 2, 75% year 3, 100% year 4 - at which point they will chop in and start the process again.

I've never been sure on them, but when I went for the first time, really impressed, great piece of kit, as they call it, it's their 'bolthole', and they love it. Rip the BBQ up, couple of beers, Wifi installed, decking attached.

The biggest issue as you would expect - the bloody British weather, and if the weather is bad, it can leave you with little to do.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 16:32]

Yep the weather is a pain, at least this one is a Haven one with lots for the kids so isn’t a total disaster if it is bad as they are happy to just go swimming and do the activities!

We’ve been a few times and they are good bits of kits for our needs - not perfect (and not cheap!)

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 18:08 - Aug 2 with 2394 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 16:52 - Aug 2 by BlueBlueBluex2

The park we go to they don’t move you, but pitch fees expensive - but in fairness there are a lot of facilities there

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 18:13 - Aug 2 with 2361 viewsCoastalblue

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 17:46 - Aug 2 by ElderGrizzly

My parents bought one last year as a pandemic get-away option, that they'll sell on in 18 month or so.

£55k for a 3 bed and £3,500 a year in site fees before you even start. It isn't a cheap option

My Mum was actually on the verge of buying one at Woodbridge when Covid hit and decided against it because she wasn't sure when she'd be able to use it. You're right though, costs are eye watering.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

[Redacted] on 18:22 - Aug 2 with 2315 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Anyone got a static caravan.... on 18:32 - Aug 2 with 2273 viewsfactual_blue

They can be a rip-off (based on a friend's experience).

The site owners (manyof whom are Haven through one route or another) will decide at some point that your existing caravan is too old. You're only able to 'sell' to them (essentially give it to them), and then buy another one from them.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 18:45 - Aug 2 with 2212 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 17:46 - Aug 2 by ElderGrizzly

Nope, it’s not a cheap option but probably only attainable way of a holiday home for us to get us through next few years without worrying about school holiday rip off and sticking to UK as travelling abroad with little ones can be a pain and they are happy enough here!

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 20:05 - Aug 2 with 2059 viewsElderGrizzly

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 18:45 - Aug 2 by itfcjoe

Nope, it’s not a cheap option but probably only attainable way of a holiday home for us to get us through next few years without worrying about school holiday rip off and sticking to UK as travelling abroad with little ones can be a pain and they are happy enough here!

Site my parents are on the owners can’t rent out (commercially anyway) so it is nice and quiet most of the time too.

I’m with you on the school holiday issue. Grizz Jr starts school next year and we were going to do another Florida holiday before she starts (pandemic permitting), but cost of a Florida trip staying at Disney hotel for 2 weeks was £6k outside holidays and £19k in holidays.

Think we’ll stick to the villa option!
Anyone got a static caravan.... on 20:08 - Aug 2 with 2055 viewschicoazul

Yes we have one.
All I would say really in addition to what others have said already is that choosing a site with no facilities bar etc makes it much cheaper and much quieter. They may not be what you’re looking for of course.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 22:33 - Aug 2 with 1814 viewsDurovigutum

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 16:30 - Aug 2 by Bluefish

Off on a bit of a tangent to the question but abroad holidays in the school summer holidays don't have to be quite as ridiculous. Just book the Components yourself and shop around. I've used a travel agent once since 2001 and got abroad at least once every year, the once I did use one for was by far the worst of the lot and worst value. I absolutely love planning our holidays and finding deals and reading reviews

I've got a week in Barcelona in October half term for two adults and two children with BA flights, a hire car and beach side accommodation for five nights and two in a city centre hotel for under £1k. You can do it.
Anyone got a static caravan.... on 22:48 - Aug 2 with 1782 viewssuffolkpoker

Hi joe,

We have got a tourer caravan, and got a seasonal pitch (for 10 months).
One off charge no silly pitch monthly fees.

This is our second site, this one costs £1400 for 10 months. I reckon we only use it for about 6 or 7 weeks a year. Which is still a bargain imo for unlimited use

Hope that helps

Thank

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 23:29 - Aug 2 with 1702 viewsComeonyoubluues

I have a static caravan near great yarmouth for sale if your interested.
Anyone got a static caravan.... on 08:22 - Aug 3 with 1512 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 18:32 - Aug 2 by factual_blue

The site owners (manyof whom are Haven through one route or another) will decide at some point that your existing caravan is too old. You're only able to 'sell' to them (essentially give it to them), and then buy another one from them.

That is only the case if you want to rent it out through them, it can't be more than 10 years old - if using it privately can keep there for as long as you want

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 08:25 - Aug 3 with 1507 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 20:08 - Aug 2 by chicoazul

Yes we have one.
All I would say really in addition to what others have said already is that choosing a site with no facilities bar etc makes it much cheaper and much quieter. They may not be what you’re looking for of course.

Yep, my kids are 4 and 2 so the kids clubs, swimming, entertainment etc is the main reason for doing it - they love it all so no real option but to go to the park where you spend another £4-5k a year.

Ultimately that cost is what a 2 week holiday costs us in the summer, and travelling with youngsters is a pain and hard work - presumably even more so with covid I'd guess. They've been to Cyprus a few times, and do love it, but just as happy to head up to Norfolk and do all that entails up there

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 09:10 - Aug 3 with 1375 viewshype313

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 18:32 - Aug 2 by factual_blue

My sister had that exact experience at The Moon and Sixpence in Waldringfield, bought it for £10k 2 years later was told it needed to be condemned and they had no alternative to take a hit on that investment.

Dont touch them with a bargepole, just hire one as and when you need it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 12:06 - Aug 3 with 1251 viewschicoazul

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 08:25 - Aug 3 by itfcjoe

Yep, my kids are 4 and 2 so the kids clubs, swimming, entertainment etc is the main reason for doing it - they love it all so no real option but to go to the park where you spend another £4-5k a year.

Ultimately that cost is what a 2 week holiday costs us in the summer, and travelling with youngsters is a pain and hard work - presumably even more so with covid I'd guess. They've been to Cyprus a few times, and do love it, but just as happy to head up to Norfolk and do all that entails up there

If you find a site which is a brisk walk to a beach and the village centre then that might work. It’s what we have. My kids are a bit older than yours though and they hang out wi the the other kids on the site, go down the beach etc
Just be aware if you are on a popular site with entertainment pool bar and so forth you can expect to rub shoulders with many of the less enlightened members of our society and have your sleep disturbed your kids bullied and probably your fees increase regularly. I am of course incredibly misanthropic and none of this may happen.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 13:42 - Aug 3 with 1165 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone got a static caravan.... on 12:06 - Aug 3 by chicoazul

If you find a site which is a brisk walk to a beach and the village centre then that might work. It’s what we have. My kids are a bit older than yours though and they hang out wi the the other kids on the site, go down the beach etc
Just be aware if you are on a popular site with entertainment pool bar and so forth you can expect to rub shoulders with many of the less enlightened members of our society and have your sleep disturbed your kids bullied and probably your fees increase regularly. I am of course incredibly misanthropic and none of this may happen.

Yep, I know that is a big problem down in the ones in Clacton as have friends with them there, and another friend owned a site - constant issues with the London overspill all summer.

The one we are looking at is one we have been a few times without any issues - I think it may price it out to an extent and has a lot of owners as opposed to rentals which helps. Certain parks have that split very different and you can tell

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024