Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Omicron Variant 18:22 - Nov 26 with 7766 viewsgordon

Definitely doesn't sound anything like an apocalyptic disaster movie, so maybe things will be fine.
The Omicron Variant on 17:40 - Nov 27 with 1207 viewswkj

The Omicron Variant on 17:38 - Nov 27 by footers

I heard if you take a picture in front a testing centre then you're golden vis a vis this covid malarkey, not sure about a lamb bhuna though.

It's going to marinate itself out of existance

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The Omicron Variant on 17:47 - Nov 27 with 1175 viewsclive_baker

The Omicron Variant on 19:00 - Nov 26 by gordon

Basically yes, there've been quite a lot that got names but then didn't really repay the faith shown in them, so to speak, and sank like stone.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/variants/variant-info.html#anchor_1632

At least the good news is the number of variants is capped at 24.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Omicron Variant on 17:49 - Nov 27 with 1165 viewsgordon

The Omicron Variant on 17:47 - Nov 27 by clive_baker

At least the good news is the number of variants is capped at 24.

Lucky we're not naming them after the Cambodian alphabet.
The Omicron Variant on 17:57 - Nov 27 with 1116 viewswkj

I wonder what the change in attitude will be for the resistor of masks and vaccines if this new strain runs riot. Who am I kidding, absolutely effing nothing. People just enjoy the trolling so much that people dying is entertainment for their bats*it crazy twisted brains.

Crybaby

The Omicron Variant on 18:20 - Nov 27 with 1054 viewsStokieBlue

The Omicron Variant on 17:35 - Nov 27 by ElderGrizzly

He’s going to let Javid set out details

Face coverings will become compulsory in shops and on public transport in the UK from “next week”, a statement from 10 Downing Street said.

Should literally be from 7pm. No idea why it has to be next week.

SB
[Post edited 27 Nov 2021 18:22]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Omicron Variant on 18:21 - Nov 27 with 1049 viewsThe_Major

It's clear that the stumbling Kendal Mint Cake tribute act that we have for a Prime Minister (Thank you Twitter for that one) wanted to do the minimum he thought he could get away with.

No doubt the cretins saying they won't wear a mask will be the first to scream if Xmas goes up the spout.

And if it becomes law, they'll still probably break it, and then blame Jodie Whitaker.
The Omicron Variant on 18:27 - Nov 27 with 1030 viewsbluelagos

Qn. Heard on c4news now that they are basically ready to go with an updated vaccine in a matter of weeks. Will it need to be retested with a whole new set of trials? And if not, why not ?

(Laymans terms would be handy here, whilst appreciating it is probably quite complex)

2nd qn. Am due my booster this week. Any benefit in holding for a few weeks to ensure new vaccine with Omincron bit added?

Cheers.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The Omicron Variant on 18:28 - Nov 27 with 1018 viewswkj

The Omicron Variant on 18:27 - Nov 27 by bluelagos

Qn. Heard on c4news now that they are basically ready to go with an updated vaccine in a matter of weeks. Will it need to be retested with a whole new set of trials? And if not, why not ?

(Laymans terms would be handy here, whilst appreciating it is probably quite complex)

2nd qn. Am due my booster this week. Any benefit in holding for a few weeks to ensure new vaccine with Omincron bit added?

Cheers.

I would assume the 100 days figure they dished out (3months) would include trials and testing.

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

The Omicron Variant on 18:31 - Nov 27 with 998 viewsbluelagos

The Omicron Variant on 18:28 - Nov 27 by wkj

I would assume the 100 days figure they dished out (3months) would include trials and testing.

Is that how long they'll take? Defo better getting booster jab as planned then I guess.

The Omicron Variant on 18:32 - Nov 27 with 993 viewsStokieBlue

The Omicron Variant on 18:27 - Nov 27 by bluelagos

Cheers.

They said at least 100 days for the vaccines to be tweaked for Omicron.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/26/biontech-says-it-could-tweak-cov

They should know in 2 weeks if the current vaccines (or the updated vaccine candidates they were working on for Alpha/Delta) work on Omicron.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Omicron Variant on 18:36 - Nov 27 with 971 viewsbluelagos

The Omicron Variant on 18:32 - Nov 27 by StokieBlue

They said at least 100 days for the vaccines to be tweaked for Omicron.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/26/biontech-says-it-could-tweak-cov

They should know in 2 weeks if the current vaccines (or the updated vaccine candidates they were working on for Alpha/Delta) work on Omicron.

SB

Thx

The Omicron Variant on 22:27 - Nov 27 with 851 viewsElderGrizzly

The Omicron Variant on 18:20 - Nov 27 by StokieBlue

Face coverings will become compulsory in shops and on public transport in the UK from “next week”, a statement from 10 Downing Street said.

Should literally be from 7pm. No idea why it has to be next week.

SB
[Post edited 27 Nov 2021 18:22]

Israel have just banned all non-citizens from entering for 2 weeks.

Switzerland just added Britain to the 10 day quarantine list due to confirmed cases of the variant here

It’s all going one way and it’s not good
The Omicron Variant on 23:20 - Nov 27 with 793 viewsThe_Major

The Omicron Variant on 22:27 - Nov 27 by ElderGrizzly

Israel have just banned all non-citizens from entering for 2 weeks.

Switzerland just added Britain to the 10 day quarantine list due to confirmed cases of the variant here

It’s all going one way and it’s not good

Was sat here all evening reading, pottering about, typing things up on the laptop about etc, and I've had Sky News on in the background. (Only because I couldn't be bothered to turn it over) Johnson said earlier that Javid would go into the mask thing "later". Didn't hear a thing announced on the TV - but to be fair, he did "announce" it on Twitter about 7:50pm.

And with regards to masks, that's it. No explanation of how it will be enforced, no explanation of how you will be sanctioned if you don't.

I'm sure shop staff can't wait for tomorrow. I also fully expect in the next 48 hours to see a picture of the football mascot costume filled with straw that masquerades as a Prime Minister maskless when he shouldn't be. It's absolutely incompetent to the point of criminal.
The Omicron Variant on 00:14 - Nov 28 with 743 viewsRyorry

The Omicron Variant on 18:21 - Nov 27 by The_Major

It's clear that the stumbling Kendal Mint Cake tribute act that we have for a Prime Minister (Thank you Twitter for that one) wanted to do the minimum he thought he could get away with.

No doubt the cretins saying they won't wear a mask will be the first to scream if Xmas goes up the spout.

And if it becomes law, they'll still probably break it, and then blame Jodie Whitaker.

That's an insult to Kendal Mint Cake

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Omicron Variant on 08:13 - Nov 28 with 632 viewschicoazul

Oh boy I really hope they do another lockdown because those things are really great and proven to work, just look at the continent for instance.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Omicron Variant on 08:22 - Nov 28 with 625 viewsHerbivore

The Omicron Variant on 08:13 - Nov 28 by chicoazul

Oh boy I really hope they do another lockdown because those things are really great and proven to work, just look at the continent for instance.

Nobody thinks lockdowns are great and the evidence shows that they do work in saving lives and slowing the spread of the virus. I doubt we'll see another full lockdown here because politically it'd be a disaster for the government.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Omicron Variant on 08:24 - Nov 28 with 622 viewschicoazul

The Omicron Variant on 08:22 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

Nobody thinks lockdowns are great and the evidence shows that they do work in saving lives and slowing the spread of the virus. I doubt we'll see another full lockdown here because politically it'd be a disaster for the government.

I agree with the second part but if lockdowns work so well why are Austria and Germany on the 4th wave or whatever it is?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

The Omicron Variant on 08:31 - Nov 28 with 602 viewsHerbivore

The Omicron Variant on 08:24 - Nov 28 by chicoazul

I agree with the second part but if lockdowns work so well why are Austria and Germany on the 4th wave or whatever it is?

You do realise that cases started rising there when they weren't in lockdown? And that until quite recently our infection numbers have been way higher than both over a very long period of time? There is a ton of evidence out there on this now, Chico, you shouldn't still be coming out with stuff like this. The evidence on the effectiveness of lockdowns as a measure to curb infections and to save lives is easy to find.

The Omicron Variant on 08:35 - Nov 28 with 595 viewschicoazul

The Omicron Variant on 08:31 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

You do realise that cases started rising there when they weren't in lockdown? And that until quite recently our infection numbers have been way higher than both over a very long period of time? There is a ton of evidence out there on this now, Chico, you shouldn't still be coming out with stuff like this. The evidence on the effectiveness of lockdowns as a measure to curb infections and to save lives is easy to find.

I think your first sentence means that all lockdowns do is push infections back to when they’re lifted. And we of course have not been in lockdown the way they have. Australia have extremely punitive lockdowns and still have cases. I don’t think lockdowns closing businesses and other harsh measures are any answer at all. Paying people properly to stay at home when they’re sick is a better idea.

The Omicron Variant on 08:55 - Nov 28 with 579 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

The Omicron Variant on 08:35 - Nov 28 by chicoazul

I think your first sentence means that all lockdowns do is push infections back to when they’re lifted. And we of course have not been in lockdown the way they have. Australia have extremely punitive lockdowns and still have cases. I don’t think lockdowns closing businesses and other harsh measures are any answer at all. Paying people properly to stay at home when they’re sick is a better idea.

They thought the great unwashed would game that system. What’s the estimated business loan fraud, £5bn?

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

The Omicron Variant on 08:56 - Nov 28 with 577 viewstonybied

It's a much better idea to keep restrictions to a minimum, let the virus rip through the population, place so much strain on health services that they totally collapse and we have people dying of the illness in corridors, ambulances and at home. This clearly should be the plan as lockdowns just don't work 🤦‍♂️
The Omicron Variant on 08:57 - Nov 28 with 576 viewsHerbivore

Maybe you should do some reading on this, mate.

The Omicron Variant on 09:00 - Nov 28 with 566 viewschicoazul

The Omicron Variant on 08:56 - Nov 28 by tonybied

It's a much better idea to keep restrictions to a minimum, let the virus rip through the population, place so much strain on health services that they totally collapse and we have people dying of the illness in corridors, ambulances and at home. This clearly should be the plan as lockdowns just don't work 🤦‍♂️

….is not what I said. I said “pay people properly to stay at home when sick”.

The Omicron Variant on 09:01 - Nov 28 with 563 viewschicoazul

The Omicron Variant on 08:55 - Nov 28 by WestStanderLaLaLa

They thought the great unwashed would game that system. What’s the estimated business loan fraud, £5bn?

A minority will game it yes.

The Omicron Variant on 09:04 - Nov 28 with 554 viewschicoazul

The Omicron Variant on 08:57 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

Maybe you should do some reading on this, mate.

Austria vax rate is 64%. European average is 57%. Ours is 68%. Cases hospitalisations and deaths still happen, lockdowns just push them back. Lockdowns are pointless.
To be clear for the hard of thinking at the back (not you Herbs); everyone should get the vaccine and wear a mask.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024