Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging 16:54 - Jul 23 with 3541 viewsunstableblue

What we learnt I think is that with Edwards fit, Jackson in form, and JJ looking sharp that we have an ability to switch it up when we have been flat...

Morsy is key

Burns is not in form currently

KVY is a miles miles better option than Penney

Our centre backs are good bar one howler

I thought overall we deserved to win... and the second half assuaged some of the valid concerns about whether we have enough in the final third.

I thought Aluko brought more than Chaplin

I thought Harness grew into the game, got his touch and tries to do things

Great finish for Ladapo will have done him the world of good.

Poor first half, great second!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 16:57 - Jul 23 with 3179 viewsFrimleyBlue

Chaplin is a little bit alarming for me. He went missing for a fair chuck of last season to come alive in the final 3 games. But I don't miss him when he's not playing and as you say Aluko did more with the ball and made himself an option far more than chappers did.

Definitely a tough squad to choose a starting 11 from. Altho I think penney is definitely on his way out.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:01 - Jul 23 with 3134 viewsBluedandy

First half underwhelming, but much better second half... encouraging signs from all summer additions.

And in a matter of minutes Kyle Edwards showed what a difference he could make to the team going forward.
Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:04 - Jul 23 with 3052 viewsim_marcacus

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 16:57 - Jul 23 by FrimleyBlue

Chaplin is a little bit alarming for me. He went missing for a fair chuck of last season to come alive in the final 3 games. But I don't miss him when he's not playing and as you say Aluko did more with the ball and made himself an option far more than chappers did.

Definitely a tough squad to choose a starting 11 from. Altho I think penney is definitely on his way out.

Chaplin was fantastic against Wimbledon
Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:13 - Jul 23 with 2920 viewsdissboy2

how did Edmunson seem?
Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:20 - Jul 23 with 2825 viewsunstableblue

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:13 - Jul 23 by dissboy2

how did Edmunson seem?

Really solid, very composed, taken off precautionary, and looks fully fit to me

JJ was very very lively, but picked up an ankle knock at the end

Edwards looked very fit and was dangerous, Millwall defenders didn’t like that

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:27 - Jul 23 with 2740 viewsStrimmer

Edmundson looked like he hadn’t played for 6 months to me. Which is the case of course so not worried, but he stepped up several times and let his man inside him. A sharp fridge just wouldn’t do that

Poll: Was it a punch?

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:30 - Jul 23 with 2707 viewsdissboy2

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:20 - Jul 23 by unstableblue

thanks for the feedback, also to Strimmer
Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:33 - Jul 23 with 2676 viewsStrimmer

Hey, the headlines gotta be that we looked in exactly the same ball park as Millwall, on paper a full division ahead of us, and had the far more dynamic attack with strong bench options. Strong net positive from the day for me

Login to get fewer ads

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:35 - Jul 23 with 2627 viewsFrimleyBlue

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:33 - Jul 23 by Strimmer

Hey, the headlines gotta be that we looked in exactly the same ball park as Millwall, on paper a full division ahead of us, and had the far more dynamic attack with strong bench options. Strong net positive from the day for me

2nd half we did.

First half. It was a very different game. Still competed with them.. but we didn't offer anything outside our half.

But.. I think the game showed who needs to be in our starting lineup...

Waka waka eh eh

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:37 - Jul 23 with 2615 viewsStrimmer

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:35 - Jul 23 by FrimleyBlue

2nd half we did.

First half. It was a very different game. Still competed with them.. but we didn't offer anything outside our half.

Aye that’s my point I think. First half we didn’t threaten, but in a really even (boring) half. And second half it was all action from us, so the worst take therefore is ‘held our own against Millwall, championship playoff hopefuls.’

Tbf don’t know how strong a side Millwall put out which I guess is a factor to consider

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:38 - Jul 23 with 2616 viewsSomethingBlue

We saw the importance of having a couple of Aluko/Celina types available to drop in and bind things — Harness and Chaplin were both very erratic on that front, much as they offer other things, and we were far smoother and quicker on the ball once Aluko was on. John-Jules looks a real player too — McGoldrick-esque in style, I think he'll be valuable.

Thought it was a good, competitive game — first half we were too slow on the ball but gave nothing away bar that silly goal, and we need to work on those. Second half very good. Still need to add in a couple of key areas but I think we look strong, it's pretty promising at the moment.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2022 17:39]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:43 - Jul 23 with 2516 viewsFrimleyBlue

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:37 - Jul 23 by Strimmer

Aye that’s my point I think. First half we didn’t threaten, but in a really even (boring) half. And second half it was all action from us, so the worst take therefore is ‘held our own against Millwall, championship playoff hopefuls.’

Tbf don’t know how strong a side Millwall put out which I guess is a factor to consider

Looking at their twitter it was full strength and included their new singings too.

Waka waka eh eh

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:50 - Jul 23 with 2498 viewsStrimmer

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:35 - Jul 23 by FrimleyBlue

2nd half we did.

Also just to come back to this
“But.. I think the game showed who needs to be in our starting lineup...

Are you referring to Aluko? As I’m inclined to agree. Really made things pop

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:56 - Jul 23 with 2402 viewsFrimleyBlue

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:50 - Jul 23 by Strimmer

Also just to come back to this
“But.. I think the game showed who needs to be in our starting lineup...

Are you referring to Aluko? As I’m inclined to agree. Really made things pop

100%. He was a level above today. Quick feet. Simple things done well. Gets himself out of trouble and is such a direct player when that space opens up.

I thought KVY is that lwb option way before penny.

Waka waka eh eh

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 18:00 - Jul 23 with 2401 viewsDavoIPB

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:33 - Jul 23 by Strimmer

First half we were way off them. They had a full strength side out. We were well behind their pace. Their midfield dominated and strikers closed our defence down too easily. We were incredibly slow going forward.

Second half we improved. The goal came out of nowhere and we got better and better after that.

Aluko on instead of Chaplin definitely. Chaplin very slow and goes backwards. Did miss a Celina type player. Aluko the only one really creating anything in midfield.

When Millwall put on their second choice we dominated the game and should have won. We basically have a good league one side throughout the squad. Every player is roughly the same standard.
Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 18:08 - Jul 23 with 2358 viewsStrimmer

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 18:00 - Jul 23 by DavoIPB

First half we were way off them. They had a full strength side out. We were well behind their pace. Their midfield dominated and strikers closed our defence down too easily. We were incredibly slow going forward.

Second half we improved. The goal came out of nowhere and we got better and better after that.

Aluko on instead of Chaplin definitely. Chaplin very slow and goes backwards. Did miss a Celina type player. Aluko the only one really creating anything in midfield.

When Millwall put on their second choice we dominated the game and should have won. We basically have a good league one side throughout the squad. Every player is roughly the same standard.

Honestly don’t see us as that far off them first half. They had the larger share of it but don’t remember any clear chances that Walton had to deal with. Nothing first half for me. I’ll concede we got better after they started making switches, yes fair point

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 18:21 - Jul 23 with 2276 viewsjayessess

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 18:08 - Jul 23 by Strimmer

Honestly don’t see us as that far off them first half. They had the larger share of it but don’t remember any clear chances that Walton had to deal with. Nothing first half for me. I’ll concede we got better after they started making switches, yes fair point

First half was two teams cancelling each other out with a glaring error in the middle, rather than Millwall dominating. Thought we were good value for an equaliser, even before their subs.

Competitive games are always a different level, but thought on today's evidence we remain very resilient defensively (even with Penney at Left Back and Edmundson easing into it) but how good we'll be in attack remains a bit of a mystery.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 20:30 - Jul 23 with 1945 viewsElephantintheRoom

It was Milwall who weren’t trying

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 21:24 - Jul 23 with 1884 viewsitfcsuth

Both sides looked quite lethargic first half, we created the better opportunities in the second. A pre season game, can’t read too much in to it.

Have to say : TJJ - Jackson - Aluko. combination looked very quick, slick, cohesive and dangerous
Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 21:33 - Jul 23 with 1851 viewsRadlett_blue

If Burns isn't on form & is suffering from having an extended season with Wales, that will be a massive miss, given that he was Town's best player last season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 21:45 - Jul 23 with 1809 viewsArnieM

I’m fearing we won’t see last seasons form from Burns, pure and simply because he hasn’t had much of a summer break. I get the impression he’ll start the season jaded or go into being that after only 2-3 months into the season. I hope I’m wrong…..

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 22:01 - Jul 23 with 1766 viewsjayessess

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 21:45 - Jul 23 by ArnieM

I’m fearing we won’t see last seasons form from Burns, pure and simply because he hasn’t had much of a summer break. I get the impression he’ll start the season jaded or go into being that after only 2-3 months into the season. I hope I’m wrong…..

Got to manage him carefully. Both Edwards and KVY look in good nick, so hopefully we can afford not to flog Wes quite so much.

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 07:58 - Jul 24 with 1417 viewsBlueBoots

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:20 - Jul 23 by unstableblue

Was at the game yesterday, and I'm afraid I'm closer to agreeing with Strimmer. Thought Fridge looked a yard off the pace defensively, and not his confident self on the ball (kept cutting back onto his right foot to play it square or back to the keeper) - but as Strimmer pointed out, understandable after the return from a long-term injury, and sure he'll improve with games.

Can't really do a direct comparison because of the quality of opposition (although I have to say I wasn't too impressed with Millwall's front line), but we looked a lot more comfortable at Wimbledon last week with Burgess on that side of the 3...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 08:22 - Jul 24 with 1340 viewsPioneerBlue

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 17:27 - Jul 23 by Strimmer

Edmundson looked like he hadn’t played for 6 months to me. Which is the case of course so not worried, but he stepped up several times and let his man inside him. A sharp fridge just wouldn’t do that

Depending on who starts the season, there are 2 midweek cup games in Aug for any players that need additional fitness to gain sharpness Eg Edmundson. He might be ready but if not Aug offer opportunities.

Evans, Edwards, if they are not ready you can see them being able to gain fitness as in-game subs.

Edmundson on the left of the three is going to be one to watch this season. It’s not his natural game, it will be interesting to see how KMck manages 3 into 1, Edmundson, Burgess and Ndaba!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 11:05 - Jul 24 with 1195 viewsjayessess

Say what you like about friendlies, second half very encouraging on 07:58 - Jul 24 by BlueBoots

Was at the game yesterday, and I'm afraid I'm closer to agreeing with Strimmer. Thought Fridge looked a yard off the pace defensively, and not his confident self on the ball (kept cutting back onto his right foot to play it square or back to the keeper) - but as Strimmer pointed out, understandable after the return from a long-term injury, and sure he'll improve with games.

Can't really do a direct comparison because of the quality of opposition (although I have to say I wasn't too impressed with Millwall's front line), but we looked a lot more comfortable at Wimbledon last week with Burgess on that side of the 3...

Weird, I thought Edmundson was the pick of the back 3! Bailed out colleagues a few times, stepped out with it well more than once, physically imposed himself on the Millwall front line.

Think there was one moment second half where he got double teamed and Millwall got in, but that was about it.

In general, I think we should be pleased with the defensive performance, even first half. Millwall will be a cut above what we'll face every week this season and without an individual error they wouldn't have created a single clear cut chance.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024