Quantcast
Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth southgate 20:10 - Sep 4 with 2567 viewsgreyhound

If we were to lose tonight do you think media would crank some pressure onto him. It feels like there is quite a bit of hostility towards him. This may be a biased opinion however as I do not believe he is the right man to take the team forward into the next World Cup and I would certainly hope he is gone by the euros as another golden generation will enter its prime.

We have a lot of players developing at the moment, but with that I don't know if Southgate knows who the best team are, or to a lesser extent how to get the most out of them.

England's failure to sweep opposition aside annoys me essentially

Gareth southgate on 20:14 - Sep 4 with 2550 viewsJ2BLUE

Probably because hysteria will sell more papers than sensible balanced analysis. Is Southgate the ideal choice? No he isn't and I was disappointed when he got the job full time but the time to judge international managers of teams like England is after a major tournament. Qualifiers are just too different and are more like preseason games for England much of the time. I'd be very surprised if we lose this and I expect us to narrowly win. To have this conversation after less than half an hour of this game is just odd. Too many are gleefully hoping he fails.

Poll: Would you vote Labour to avoid a Boris led government?

Gareth southgate on 20:22 - Sep 4 with 2513 viewsgreyhound

Gareth southgate on 20:14 - Sep 4 by J2BLUE

Probably because hysteria will sell more papers than sensible balanced analysis. Is Southgate the ideal choice? No he isn't and I was disappointed when he got the job full time but the time to judge international managers of teams like England is after a major tournament. Qualifiers are just too different and are more like preseason games for England much of the time. I'd be very surprised if we lose this and I expect us to narrowly win. To have this conversation after less than half an hour of this game is just odd. Too many are gleefully hoping he fails.

Sorry didn't mean this as a pre emptive were useless type post. I just wondered what the General balanced opinion was of the situation. Really as a follow on from the result against Malta while taking into account tonight's early goal conceded.

Something on my bucket list is to experience England winning the World Cup. Being a live for today man gives me little oatuence

1-1

Gareth southgate on 20:36 - Sep 4 with 2477 viewsGarv

Golden generation? Hahaha

Poll: How much do you trust Lambert when he says we’ll be a better team for rotating?

Gareth southgate on 20:39 - Sep 4 with 2458 viewsgreyhound

Gareth southgate on 20:36 - Sep 4 by Garv

Golden generation? Hahaha

Kane, alli, razor, ox, we have some great players either going through their fastest development phase or their prime. Eric dier as well

Gareth southgate on 20:40 - Sep 4 with 2458 viewsSteve_M

The evidence of the last 13 years suggests that is not really the manager to blame whatever justified criticisms can be made of Southgate.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Gareth southgate on 20:55 - Sep 4 with 2416 viewschristiand

Would Southgate get offered the manager's job at any of the top 6 clubs in the Premier League? I doubt it very much. I'm not sure what the answer is regarding England. We've tried the top foreign manager, promoting internally and appointing English managers; we just don't look any nearer to winning a major tournament.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Gareth southgate on 08:09 - Sep 5 with 2313 viewsRadlett_blue

Gareth southgate on 20:55 - Sep 4 by christiand

Would Southgate get offered the manager's job at any of the top 6 clubs in the Premier League? I doubt it very much. I'm not sure what the answer is regarding England. We've tried the top foreign manager, promoting internally and appointing English managers; we just don't look any nearer to winning a major tournament.

Exactly. We've tried highly paid foreign mercenaries such as Capello & Sven & the end game has been little different - England lose to the first decent side they play. That's largely because English players aren't as good technically. So let's stop wasting money on expensive head coaches.
English player development has unsurprisingly got worse since the PL (which was partly formed to "help the England team"according to the FA.

Gareth southgate on 08:12 - Sep 5 with 2309 viewsReuser_is_God

'England's failure to sweep opposition aside annoys me essentially'

People who think we should be sweeping opposition aside annoy me essentially.

We're not good enough to do that, we're not Germany, we're not Spain & we're not France.

Slovakia are probably our level right now, hence why last night was a close fought game.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Gareth southgate on 09:16 - Sep 5 with 2266 viewsgreyhound

Gareth southgate on 08:12 - Sep 5 by Reuser_is_God

'England's failure to sweep opposition aside annoys me essentially'

People who think we should be sweeping opposition aside annoy me essentially.

We're not good enough to do that, we're not Germany, we're not Spain & we're not France.

Slovakia are probably our level right now, hence why last night was a close fought game.

Should of clarified that I refer to other past performances. We may not be Germany or Spain but we look shaky against many teams for a good portion of games often when teams are considered inferior.

I'm wise enough to know Slovakia was going to be tough. The expectation would always have been to win though. Hence the original post speculating what would happen with a different result. Sorry that I am I e of your annoyances

Gareth southgate on 09:39 - Sep 5 with 2240 viewsNo9

Gareth Southgate is probably the reluctant manager simply because looking at football from wher he has been with the FA for a while he can easily see he has virtually no English (eligible) players of world class to take into a world tournnament.

We have always had a lot of promising players in the development stages but how many make it through as full internationals with world class written all over them?
Gareth southgate on 11:01 - Sep 5 with 2198 viewsJ2BLUE

Gareth southgate on 20:39 - Sep 4 by greyhound

Kane, alli, razor, ox, we have some great players either going through their fastest development phase or their prime. Eric dier as well

Who the hell is Razor?

Poll: Would you vote Labour to avoid a Boris led government?

Gareth southgate on 11:26 - Sep 5 with 2178 viewsgreyhound

Gareth southgate on 11:01 - Sep 5 by J2BLUE

Who the hell is Razor?

Rashford auto correct lol

Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2021