Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heathrow.....the big question 07:10 - Jun 5 with 3475 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

....Will Boris lie down in front of the bulldozers or just down the side of a bus?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Heathrow.....the big question on 07:24 - Jun 5 with 2564 viewsWD19

You are 12th Man and I claim my £5.
Heathrow.....the big question on 07:46 - Jun 5 with 2550 viewsStokieBlue

"Boris" airport (although he didn't really have much to do with it) is in my opinion the better, more integrated solution and would have allowed nearly 500,000 new homes to be built in London on the existing Heathrow site.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Heathrow.....the big question on 08:02 - Jun 5 with 2525 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heathrow.....the big question on 07:24 - Jun 5 by WD19

You are 12th Man and I claim my £5.

You're going to have to help me out?
(Unless it's to do with conflicting views because I voted Brexit despite knowing they lied on the side of a bus)
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 8:04]

Heathrow.....the big question on 08:12 - Jun 5 with 2509 viewsLord_Lucan

Heathrow.....the big question on 07:46 - Jun 5 by StokieBlue

"Boris" airport (although he didn't really have much to do with it) is in my opinion the better, more integrated solution and would have allowed nearly 500,000 new homes to be built in London on the existing Heathrow site.

SB

I liked Boris airport idea but it was always doomed. Heathrow is the only option, it's where people want to fly to, it's where business wants it, the amount of companies already stationed around there is vast.

We are useless, we have been looking into this new runway for years and years and by the time it ever gets done we will require another expansion.

China is building 66 complete new airports in the next 5 years!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Heathrow.....the big question on 08:17 - Jun 5 with 2499 viewsKeno

would this one be available

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Heathrow.....the big question on 08:19 - Jun 5 with 2493 viewsStokieBlue

Heathrow.....the big question on 08:12 - Jun 5 by Lord_Lucan

I liked Boris airport idea but it was always doomed. Heathrow is the only option, it's where people want to fly to, it's where business wants it, the amount of companies already stationed around there is vast.

We are useless, we have been looking into this new runway for years and years and by the time it ever gets done we will require another expansion.

China is building 66 complete new airports in the next 5 years!

Those arguments are used whenever a new airport is built. Same was days at Hong Kong and it's perfect now.

The estuary airport gave 24 hour flights which Heathrow can't provide due to its location as well as connected overground, underground, ferry and merchant shipping and the added benefit of pollution being blown out to sea.

I honestly don't understand the people want to fly to point. People are happy flying to the easiest connection, no reason why Heathrow would be easier than any other new and well designed airport.

It would have also meant London could have housed it's population.

I understand the businesses are invested around there but sometimes change for the better is difficult but needed.

As for China, they have far more space and far less planning rules. Heathrow is in the middle of a huge city. Easy to build an airport somewhere outside with as many runways as you like, maybe somewhere like an estuary....

SB

Heathrow.....the big question on 08:32 - Jun 5 with 2462 viewsfactual_blue

Heathrow.....the big question on 08:17 - Jun 5 by Keno

would this one be available

I'm sure we all have our fingers crossed.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Heathrow.....the big question on 08:58 - Jun 5 with 2448 viewsLord_Lucan

Heathrow.....the big question on 08:19 - Jun 5 by StokieBlue

Those arguments are used whenever a new airport is built. Same was days at Hong Kong and it's perfect now.

The estuary airport gave 24 hour flights which Heathrow can't provide due to its location as well as connected overground, underground, ferry and merchant shipping and the added benefit of pollution being blown out to sea.

I honestly don't understand the people want to fly to point. People are happy flying to the easiest connection, no reason why Heathrow would be easier than any other new and well designed airport.

It would have also meant London could have housed it's population.

I understand the businesses are invested around there but sometimes change for the better is difficult but needed.

As for China, they have far more space and far less planning rules. Heathrow is in the middle of a huge city. Easy to build an airport somewhere outside with as many runways as you like, maybe somewhere like an estuary....

SB

I'm not disagreeing with you about Boris Island, I thought it was a great idea.

Yes, planning and Health and Safety are different in China but the time difference from a China build to a UK build are off the scale, it's not all about planning and HSE. 66 new airports in 5 years!

Take HS2, it's a stupid idea anyway but how long is it going to take to build from London to Manchester?

The Shanghai to Beijing bullet train is 1,300km, construction was started in April 2008, track laying was started in July 2010 and completed by November 2010. It was operational in June 2011.

We can't fly in to all these new Chinese airports because we are out of runway space in UK. We actually need new runways at LGW, LHR and STN - plus a complete new airport in the midlands.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:05 - Jun 5 with 2437 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heathrow.....the big question on 08:58 - Jun 5 by Lord_Lucan

Yes, planning and Health and Safety are different in China but the time difference from a China build to a UK build are off the scale, it's not all about planning and HSE. 66 new airports in 5 years!

Take HS2, it's a stupid idea anyway but how long is it going to take to build from London to Manchester?

The Shanghai to Beijing bullet train is 1,300km, construction was started in April 2008, track laying was started in July 2010 and completed by November 2010. It was operational in June 2011.

We can't fly in to all these new Chinese airports because we are out of runway space in UK. We actually need new runways at LGW, LHR and STN - plus a complete new airport in the midlands.

There is this though....
https://www.theepochtimes.com/shoddy-construction-on-chinas-high-speed-railway-e
....not to mention how many may have died constructing it.

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:10 - Jun 5 with 2431 viewsWD19

Heathrow.....the big question on 08:02 - Jun 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

You're going to have to help me out?
(Unless it's to do with conflicting views because I voted Brexit despite knowing they lied on the side of a bus)
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 8:04]

Nothing that highbrow. Just likening your cut+paste prowess.

I too liked the 'boris island' idea........but that is neither here nor there.
Heathrow.....the big question on 09:16 - Jun 5 with 2429 viewsGuthrum

SB

The problem with "Boris Island" was that it would have been a long way the wrong end of London for all the transport links (imagine coming from the north or west and having to go all the way around the M25 to get there). Even with Crossrail, it would require a load more rail infrastructure to be built. It would be too far out for the Tube.

That without the cost (financial and environmental) of building a large enough artificial island in the Thames to begin with.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:17 - Jun 5 with 2426 viewsLord_Lucan

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:05 - Jun 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

There is this though....
https://www.theepochtimes.com/shoddy-construction-on-chinas-high-speed-railway-e
....not to mention how many may have died constructing it.

Yes but if you read my post I take note that health and safety is different in China but that the difference in time doesn't equate.

We are a lazy backward thinking country.

What will happen is just before they start building they will find a Great Crested Newt in Harmondsworth and work will be suspended for 10 years.

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:18 - Jun 5 with 2424 viewsbrazil1982

Unfair to compare with China, where the government decides where to put the rail line, and goes ahead without any planning or consultation. They just bulldoze through. No construction out to tender either. Plentiful and cheap labour available. I do agree though the time scales for projects in the UK is boggling sometimes.

I have mixed views on HS2 - we should have high speed rail in the UK but I would prefer that cost to be ploughed into what we've currently got / not got.
Heathrow.....the big question on 09:18 - Jun 5 with 2422 viewsNo9

SB

& would have probablly been built in the 60's had it not been for 'Essesx'
Heathrow.....the big question on 09:20 - Jun 5 with 2423 viewsBloomBlue

SB

Limited resources in that area like water, building 500,000 homes won't work. Better off building that number of homes on farming land that we don't really need or use.

The Boris airport also never factored in the rather large problem with the SS Montgomery
Heathrow.....the big question on 09:24 - Jun 5 with 2416 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:10 - Jun 5 by WD19

Nothing that highbrow. Just likening your cut+paste prowess.

I too liked the 'boris island' idea........but that is neither here nor there.

Hope you are not accusing me of being on tw@tter! I did however borrow the pun from an Independent article.....thought it deserved a wider audience.

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:25 - Jun 5 with 2415 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:17 - Jun 5 by Lord_Lucan

Yes but if you read my post I take note that health and safety is different in China but that the difference in time doesn't equate.

We are a lazy backward thinking country.

What will happen is just before they start building they will find a Great Crested Newt in Harmondsworth and work will be suspended for 10 years.

Only if I put it in there fast enough!

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:34 - Jun 5 with 2403 viewsStokieBlue

Whilst I agree the Chinese construction drive has been mightily impressive it's pretty hard to compare it directly to a densely populated country like the UK.

China can throw more workers at a job on lower wages and without much regard for health and safety. It's nice getting a high speed rail built quickly but not when people are actually dying in the construction:

http://shanghaiist.com/2009/08/20/four_workers_die_on_beijing-shangha/

HS2 is rubbish though, totally agree.

SB

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:35 - Jun 5 with 2402 viewsCoachRob

May trying to shore up her base; lots of clueless investment bankers want this airport to fly to emerging markets in Asia.
Heathrow.....the big question on 09:39 - Jun 5 with 2396 viewsStokieBlue

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:16 - Jun 5 by Guthrum

The problem with "Boris Island" was that it would have been a long way the wrong end of London for all the transport links (imagine coming from the north or west and having to go all the way around the M25 to get there). Even with Crossrail, it would require a load more rail infrastructure to be built. It would be too far out for the Tube.

That without the cost (financial and environmental) of building a large enough artificial island in the Thames to begin with.

I do agree to a point, however:

The NW should be doing point-to-point journeys from Manchester to basically anywhere it needs to go. Modern twin engine planes are more than capable of doing this.

It would require more rail infrastructure but that was all included in the plans. The government is happy to spend 80bn on HS2 infrastructure - would be better off cancelling that and using it better for things such as this.

Is the environmental impact any worse than building another huge runway in central London? That's not going to do much good for the air pollution levels of the many people living in and around the airport.

It's not perfect but it's doable much like Hong Kong did. The third runway at Heathrow is a mess of an idea in my opinion.

SB

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:41 - Jun 5 with 2393 viewsStokieBlue

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:35 - Jun 5 by CoachRob

May trying to shore up her base; lots of clueless investment bankers want this airport to fly to emerging markets in Asia.

You actually basing that on anything or just going for the banker bashing trope?

SB

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:48 - Jun 5 with 2378 viewsLord_Lucan

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:34 - Jun 5 by StokieBlue

Whilst I agree the Chinese construction drive has been mightily impressive it's pretty hard to compare it directly to a densely populated country like the UK.

China can throw more workers at a job on lower wages and without much regard for health and safety. It's nice getting a high speed rail built quickly but not when people are actually dying in the construction:

http://shanghaiist.com/2009/08/20/four_workers_die_on_beijing-shangha/

HS2 is rubbish though, totally agree.

SB

I appreciate your comments but I wasn't using China as a like for like comparison as I went on to mention. Having said that, even if they adhered to our rules they would still knock up a few new airports in the time it takes for us to build a runway.

UK though is nothing short of pathetic when it comes to this sort of thing.

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:50 - Jun 5 with 2376 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:41 - Jun 5 by StokieBlue

You actually basing that on anything or just going for the banker bashing trope?

SB

And what would be wrong with that...... ?

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:52 - Jun 5 with 2373 viewsStokieBlue

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:48 - Jun 5 by Lord_Lucan

I appreciate your comments but I wasn't using China as a like for like comparison as I went on to mention. Having said that, even if they adhered to our rules they would still knock up a few new airports in the time it takes for us to build a runway.

UK though is nothing short of pathetic when it comes to this sort of thing.

I agree, although I think the same can be extended to most of "old world" Europe. The drive just isn't there to move things forward in the same way as newly strong economies.

SB

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:53 - Jun 5 with 2372 viewsStokieBlue

Heathrow.....the big question on 09:50 - Jun 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

And what would be wrong with that...... ?

Shouldn't you be relaxing under a tree in your clients garden reading the paper and charging them for the privilege whilst they are at work?

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024