Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rabbit stew 08:35 - Sep 30 with 8280 viewsMullet

Got my butcher to get his employee to save me some rabbit this weekend from when he goes out shooting.

Anyone else partial to whacking a bit of bunny in the pot every now and again? Can't decide whether to do a traditional English type stew or another Italian ragu. They seem to insist on olives though and I'm not a fan.

Anyone got some better suggestions?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Rabbit stew on 08:41 - Sep 30 with 6491 viewsFixed_It

If it's a Welsh one, best served on toast. Otherwise I'd give it a miss personally.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Rabbit stew on 08:41 - Sep 30 with 6491 viewsFtnfwest

Always used to do a traditional casserole. The rabbit abroad always seems to be better (wild rather than tame I think). Mind you in terms of our floppy eared friends, hare is a whole different ball game, yum..
Rabbit stew on 08:42 - Sep 30 with 6487 viewsvapour_trail

You're speaking in euphemisms

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Rabbit stew on 08:44 - Sep 30 with 6481 viewsMullet

Rabbit stew on 08:41 - Sep 30 by Ftnfwest

Always used to do a traditional casserole. The rabbit abroad always seems to be better (wild rather than tame I think). Mind you in terms of our floppy eared friends, hare is a whole different ball game, yum..

Don't think I've had hare, but the ones back home when I grew up were massive you could probably get a meal for two off those.

I might see what else he can his hands on then. Decent venison that doesn't cost the earth is the holy grail for me.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Rabbit stew on 08:45 - Sep 30 with 6474 viewsFtnfwest

Rabbit stew on 08:44 - Sep 30 by Mullet

Don't think I've had hare, but the ones back home when I grew up were massive you could probably get a meal for two off those.

I might see what else he can his hands on then. Decent venison that doesn't cost the earth is the holy grail for me.

Hare is close to venison in look/taste
Rabbit stew on 08:56 - Sep 30 with 6438 viewsfactual_blue

Prunes and red wine.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1660637/slowcooked-rabbit-stew

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Rabbit stew on 09:50 - Sep 30 with 6396 viewsGuthrum

Love a bit of rabbit. Would definitely go the stew route, personally.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Rabbit stew on 09:53 - Sep 30 with 6393 viewsGuthrum

Rabbit stew on 08:45 - Sep 30 by Ftnfwest

Hare is close to venison in look/taste

Tho I thought jugged hare was not very nice. The flavour rather too "matured" and full of little sharp bits of bone.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Rabbit stew on 09:56 - Sep 30 with 6381 viewsBarneycurley

'My butcher' lol

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Rabbit stew on 13:16 - Sep 30 with 6282 viewsSpruceMoose

Rabbit stew on 09:56 - Sep 30 by Barneycurley

'My butcher' lol

He means me. I live in the fecking woods. You want hare? No problem! Badger? Coming right up! Vole? Why I have one in my pocket. $15.99 + vat per lb

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Rabbit stew on 13:22 - Sep 30 with 6266 viewsBarneycurley

Rabbit stew on 13:16 - Sep 30 by SpruceMoose

He means me. I live in the fecking woods. You want hare? No problem! Badger? Coming right up! Vole? Why I have one in my pocket. $15.99 + vat per lb

I think the shrooms have got to ya

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Rabbit stew on 13:58 - Sep 30 with 6227 viewsLord_Lucan

Make a rabbit pie. Put some pork belly in it and cook it with the rib cage in for more flavour.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Rabbit stew on 14:18 - Sep 30 with 6192 viewsJohnny_Boy

Got a real hankering for stoat...
Rabbit stew on 14:48 - Sep 30 with 6149 viewscaught-in-limbo

Rabbit stew on 09:53 - Sep 30 by Guthrum

Tho I thought jugged hare was not very nice. The flavour rather too "matured" and full of little sharp bits of bone.

Hare's a funny one. If it's too well-hung, you start to get into borderline-nice-food-appreciation territory. Get it right and it's magnificent and better than venison in my opinion. Rabbit seems bonier, but is always good.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Rabbit stew on 14:52 - Sep 30 with 6138 viewsVic

I had a rabbit burger last weekend - gorgeous!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Rabbit stew on 18:42 - Sep 30 with 6048 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Rabbit stew on 14:52 - Sep 30 by Vic

I had a rabbit burger last weekend - gorgeous!

Rabbit stifado. That is wonderful.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Rabbit stew on 18:47 - Sep 30 with 6040 viewsSwansea_Blue

Rabbit stew on 08:42 - Sep 30 by vapour_trail

You're speaking in euphemisms

"Whacking a bunny in the pot".

He's Hugh Hefner, and I claim my Moosey bones.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Rabbit stew on 18:49 - Sep 30 with 6030 viewsTIB

Not a fan of rabbit unless it's mixed in with some other game. I find rabbit needs some strong spices/herbs/meats used alongside it.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Rabbit stew on 19:05 - Sep 30 with 6005 viewsjeera

Tandoori style? I should think that's pretty good for rabbit, though I haven't tried it myself yet.

Otherwise I'd be tempted to go with a white wine casserole thingy.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Rabbit stew on 23:34 - Sep 30 with 5935 viewsGodzilla

Talking of whacking a bit of bunny, as boys we used to go out to the fields being harvested (we knew the farmer's sons) and as the combine harvester circled towards what was left of the crop in the middle of the field the rabbits had to eventually make a run for it, but they tried to hide in the combine trail - you just had to trap them between your legs and dispatch them humanely. We obviously did not do this when people with guns were about. We then shared them around for eating.
PS I let flies out the window now.
Rabbit stew on 00:18 - Oct 1 with 5899 viewscatch74

Rabbit stew on 19:05 - Sep 30 by jeera

Tandoori style? I should think that's pretty good for rabbit, though I haven't tried it myself yet.

Otherwise I'd be tempted to go with a white wine casserole thingy.

Or try cider with the casserole, very nice.
I get some great French rabbits from my supplier(!) -confit the leg and stuff the saddle.
Tandoori rabbit - I'm going to have try that.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Rabbit stew on 03:55 - Oct 1 with 5862 viewsjeera

Rabbit stew on 00:18 - Oct 1 by catch74

Or try cider with the casserole, very nice.
I get some great French rabbits from my supplier(!) -confit the leg and stuff the saddle.
Tandoori rabbit - I'm going to have try that.

That sounds jolly good my friend.

I may need to investigate this myself further.

(Or just get the recipe from you).

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Rabbit stew on 04:24 - Oct 1 with 5849 viewsRyorry

Rabbit stew on 08:44 - Sep 30 by Mullet

The hares round here would feed 4!

As for the rabbits, is there still much myxy about in Suffolk? I find the meat a bit bland tho, needs spicing up - used to enjoy it as Hungarian Goulash with lots of tomatoes, paprika and red wine.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Rabbit stew on 08:26 - Oct 1 with 5800 viewshampstead_blue

I love rabbit.

seal it in a hot frying pan and then slow cook in a regular stock.

Nice roast spuds, black cabbage, purple brocolli, roasted carrots.....thick gravy...........nice claret...........cheese board.............port...............nap.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Rabbit stew on 09:21 - Oct 1 with 5789 viewsWeWereZombies

Yeeez, further proof you are not a real moose - do they have pockets? Unless you are a marsupial I am outing you as just another human poster on the forum...

Or, following on from the goose in the moose post, the vole in your 'pocket' marks you out as the Richard Gere of the moose world.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024