Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Suffolk hotels/B&Bs 15:38 - Jan 21 with 4447 viewsfooters

'ey up TWTD,

Can anyone recommend some decent places to stay in Suffolk?

Taking a young lady to see our beautiful county for the first time (ITFC game included, naturally) and wondered if any of you had tips on the best places to stay.

Ideally, somewhere on the coast or near to the AONB would be great. A couple of decent places to eat/drink nearby wouldn't hurt either. Seen a few nice looking places in Aldeburgh but any other suggestions?

Not sure mother's box room in Lowestoft has the required ambience :)

And if the lady's really lucky, she'll catch crabs in Walberswick too

Thanks in advance x

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 17:21 - Jan 21 with 1820 viewsGuthrum

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 17:15 - Jan 21 by jeera

Do you know, I had to go to Red Lodge recently and was amazed at the place.

It's an actual place now with houses, roads, shops, dentists, doctors, people, life...

Very modern and shiny, if you like that sort of thing. It's like it grew overnight like a mini Milton Keynes.

I remember it as a dusty road which could be difficult to find on a bad day, with a rough old cafe full of dodgy types (and truckers) and a go-kart track a mile or two down the road.

It's the size of a small town now.

I remember it before the bypass was built. Used to cycle all round there when growing up.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 17:23 - Jan 21 with 1818 viewsjeera

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 17:21 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

I remember it before the bypass was built. Used to cycle all round there when growing up.

That was you!

I remember seeing the cyclist back then.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 17:28 - Jan 21 with 1802 viewsMedwayTractor

Try the Cherry Tree in Woodbridge. Only been there for food & beer, but has rooms in a converted barn at the back of the car park, so you won't be too much disturbed by pub noise. Not much more than a mile off the A12, easy to find.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 17:43 - Jan 21 with 1791 viewsGuthrum

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 17:15 - Jan 21 by Bluefish

Precisely, home of the world's great pub*

*official poll run by me

And possibly the world's most lethal roundabout. Especially if trying to cross the A11 rather than go along it.

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 17:52 - Jan 21 with 1777 viewsjeera

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 17:43 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

And possibly the world's most lethal roundabout. Especially if trying to cross the A11 rather than go along it.

Is that the Mildenhall to Bury one?

Assuming so, it's always been a fecking nightmare.

Also, a little way down the road, coming from the Herringswell [?] road to turn right onto the A11, you had to turn left and then cross over to the Worlington turning, drive up the road a bit, then swing around and come back on yourself. Bloody stupid and I've no idea if that still exists.

I was about to join the A11 from the Worlington side when some lady tried to kill me by slamming her car as hard as she could into the back of mine.

Double whammy really. I think she was counting on the possibility of my surviving the impact by shoving my car out into the path of speeding traffic.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 18:34]

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 18:27 - Jan 21 with 1763 viewsfactual_blue

https://www.visitsuffolk.co.uk/accommodation/bed-and-breakfast/ixworth/ixworth-h

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 18:29 - Jan 21 with 1763 viewsGuthrum

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 17:52 - Jan 21 by jeera

Is that the Mildenhall to Bury one?

Assuming so, it's always been a fecking nightmare.

Also, a little way down the road, coming from the Herringswell [?] road to turn right onto the A11, you had to turn left and then cross over to the Worlington turning, drive up the road a bit, then swing around and come back on yourself. Bloody stupid and I've no idea if that still exists.

I was about to join the A11 from the Worlington side when some lady tried to kill me by slamming her car as hard as she could into the back of mine.

Double whammy really. I think she was counting on the possibility of my surviving the impact by shoving my car out into the path of speeding traffic.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 18:34]

Many years ago, there used to be a gap straight across through the central reservation between the Worlington and Herringswell roads. But they closed it due to being exceedingly dangerous.

Edit: Actually, thinking again, it was the junction closer to the roundabout, on the road to Tuddenham.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 18:33]

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 18:48 - Jan 21 with 1747 viewsTractorWood

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 17:07 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

It's no Red Lodge.

Red Lodge is decent now. Really new and shiny. 20 minutes to Cambridge.

As Jeera says it's not been a single track road with a track stop for 10 years.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 18:55]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 18:57 - Jan 21 with 1733 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

If you are after a more refined hotel stay dear boy to impress the young lady in question, then The Swan in Southwold is rather nice with a fine selection of Adnams beers. Only a short walk to the querky pier and very close to the other splendid hostelries the town has to offer.
Alternatively, a weekend at my humble abode can be arranged for a very competative rate although our dog may wish to join you both and Mrs Pinewood can be a tad fierce on occasion.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 19:22 - Jan 21 with 1701 viewsMeadowlark

https://stationguesthouse.co.uk/ Woodbridge. Right near the station.
Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 19:23 - Jan 21 with 1700 viewsjeera

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 19:22 - Jan 21 by Meadowlark

https://stationguesthouse.co.uk/ Woodbridge. Right near the station.

That looks nice as it goes.

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 19:27 - Jan 21 with 1700 viewsFunge

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 17:28 - Jan 21 by MedwayTractor

Try the Cherry Tree in Woodbridge. Only been there for food & beer, but has rooms in a converted barn at the back of the car park, so you won't be too much disturbed by pub noise. Not much more than a mile off the A12, easy to find.

This is an excellent shout. Woodbridge gets on my tits a bit, but the Cherry Tree is quality.

Food is very good indeed, too.
Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 19:35 - Jan 21 with 1686 viewsfooters

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 18:57 - Jan 21 by StochesStotasBlewe

If you are after a more refined hotel stay dear boy to impress the young lady in question, then The Swan in Southwold is rather nice with a fine selection of Adnams beers. Only a short walk to the querky pier and very close to the other splendid hostelries the town has to offer.
Alternatively, a weekend at my humble abode can be arranged for a very competative rate although our dog may wish to join you both and Mrs Pinewood can be a tad fierce on occasion.

Thank you, kind sir! I shall certainly consider a quick pitstop at chez pinewood... Although the vet bills for your dog may work out at a net loss for yourself...

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 19:39 - Jan 21 with 1677 viewsfooters

Once again, thanks for all of your suggestions. Looks like some lovely places to stay at in Suffolk from what I've seen so far...

We really do have a great little county

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 19:50 - Jan 21 with 1660 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 19:35 - Jan 21 by footers

Thank you, kind sir! I shall certainly consider a quick pitstop at chez pinewood... Although the vet bills for your dog may work out at a net loss for yourself...

Ah, the vet insurance premium is due to increase somewhat due to some unforseen treatment required..........which reminds me,.i must get the dog put on the policy as well.

Anyhow, good luck with finding the requisite accomodation dear chap.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 21:05 - Jan 21 with 1608 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 19:27 - Jan 21 by Funge

This is an excellent shout. Woodbridge gets on my tits a bit, but the Cherry Tree is quality.

Food is very good indeed, too.

Second poster of repute that I’ve seen say that on here, and yet every time I’ve been it’s been bang average. What am I missing?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 21:20 - Jan 21 with 1594 viewsFunge

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 21:05 - Jan 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Second poster of repute that I’ve seen say that on here, and yet every time I’ve been it’s been bang average. What am I missing?

Dunno really Healers, it's always been good in there.

They do a pub quiz on a Thursday night, too, which is about as good as any going. Some dude called Tappers runs it. Actually I am going to start a new thread about this.
Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 21:23 - Jan 21 with 1588 viewsjeera

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 21:20 - Jan 21 by Funge

Dunno really Healers, it's always been good in there.

They do a pub quiz on a Thursday night, too, which is about as good as any going. Some dude called Tappers runs it. Actually I am going to start a new thread about this.

The rooms look nice enough it has to be said:

http://www.thecherrytreepub.co.uk/

Image wouldn't load for some reason.

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 08:41 - Jan 22 with 1522 viewsitfcjoe

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 21:05 - Jan 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I've had a lot of decent food up there, but the last 2 times I went it was poor - last time was a burger that was as dry as a nun's chuff

Haven't been back since, but is a good pub and wouldn't rule it out in future - this was prob 3 years ago and twice in succession so may have had an issue

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 11:05 - Jan 22 with 1494 viewsGooders7592

Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 18:48 - Jan 21 by TractorWood

Red Lodge is decent now. Really new and shiny. 20 minutes to Cambridge.

As Jeera says it's not been a single track road with a track stop for 10 years.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 18:55]

Decent Fish & Chip shop as well...
Suffolk hotels/B&Bs on 12:26 - Jan 22 with 1473 viewsElephantintheRoom

The coast is a bit bleak at this time of year?

If you chose Orford you also have the overpriced seafood restaurant to go to.... and mixing with londoners for fish and chips in the pub towards the quay.

A left field suggestion is the Bell Hotel in Saxmundham.... the food is quite good - and it gives you access to the coast and Ipswich. Saxmunham itself is a dive though.

The poseur option is definitely Southwold.... the crown is good - as is the seafood restaurant next door.... and you can walk on water across to walberswick

Another left field suggestion is the Mill at Tuddenham... near Bury.... very good food and the less bracing options of Lavenham, Clare, Cavendish etc, etc - and the joys of Newmarket.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024