Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like Simpson is leaving then 14:47 - Apr 21 with 7039 viewstractordownsouth

At least 2 strikers must be incoming.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2022 14:47]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Looks like Simpson is leaving then on 12:22 - Apr 22 with 536 viewsLeoMuff

Looks like Simpson is leaving then on 12:03 - Apr 22 by TVRBlue

Everything in xrayspecs' post is correct.

With reference to Norwich and their academy they have, unfortunately unlike us, been playing at a higher level (Championship and Premier League) a whole lot more than us over the last 10 years or so. As a result, their academy is bound to attract better youth players in to their set up and with Championship and Premier League finances behind them they can certainly pay academy players better than we can ours. Furthermore, I believe this has resulted in a "dilution" of the quality of young players we can attract in to our academy and our academy players are, in my opinion, less likely to make it in professional football. And that's the nature of professional football. It's hard.

I think it was necessary to make the changes that happened to the squad last summer, although I gather from one or two on this forum that the way that was done could have been handled differently/better. I don't know if that's true or not, I wasn't party to any discussions with players at that time and I don't believe anyone on this forum was either. So no-one knows. For me, the only two I was a little disappointed at leaving was Downes and Dozzel. However, Downes said he didn't want to be here despite what the Club may have offered him contractually or salary wise, and I believe Dozzel had a financial release clause. It's good to see both of them playing at a higher level and, hopefully, enjoying their football. Ipswich Town FC and particularly our academy should be applauded for investing in them and nurturing them to play at that level.

With regards Simpson my understanding is the Club would like him to commit to ITFC, for which he will gain a Contract and salary in accordance with what the Club values him at. If he, or his Agent, feels he is worth a better Contract or a higher salary then they should negotiate it. If an agreement can't be reached then I'm pretty sure we will take up the one year Contract extension and will likely offer him out on loan to another club, with the other club paying a proportion of his salary. This, in turn, will put Simpson "in the shop window" for other clubs who might wish to buy him. Alternatively, he'll play at the loan club for the season and will be out of Contract in the summer of 2023 and can then do as he pleases.

On Simpson, I understand from comments made by Kieran McKenna that a pathway for his overall development and, I am sure, improvement as a professional footballer, has been discussed with him more than once and he has chosen to ignore that advice. A pathway that, with a lot of hard work from him and those at Playford Road, could lead him to a level where he can be a regular first team squad player. If he's good enough he will be selected - it's as simple as that. Currently, it would seem Kieran McKenna and all the professional staff within the Club don't feel he's quite there just yet. I wish the young lad all the best with his footballing career whatever happens in the future but I hope he doesn't live to regret it in 3 or 4 years time should he end up at lower league/non-league football or out of the game altogether.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 12:08]

I don’t think it will play out like this, we will extend his contract then sell him to the highest bidder I would have thought. Unless no one bids at all, which seems unlikely given the situation

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Looks like Simpson is leaving then on 14:34 - Apr 22 with 451 viewswkj

Looks like Simpson is leaving then on 20:02 - Apr 21 by jayessess

To be fair if the club's first team is good enough to get into and stay in the Championship then Downes is that player. But because we're stuck in L1, he'll be that player for Swansea instead.

That's kind of what I'm getting at really by implying that youth academies have iffy returns for lower league teams.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Looks like Simpson is leaving then on 15:16 - Apr 22 with 421 viewsjayessess

Looks like Simpson is leaving then on 14:34 - Apr 22 by wkj

That's kind of what I'm getting at really by implying that youth academies have iffy returns for lower league teams.

Hopefully we aren't going to be a League One club forever!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Looks like Simpson is leaving then on 15:50 - Apr 22 with 393 viewspointofblue

Looks like Simpson is leaving then on 15:16 - Apr 22 by jayessess

Hopefully we aren't going to be a League One club forever!

True. But Brentford aren’t on League One and haven’t been for some time yet show no interest in having an academy. The approach from Gamechanger (didn’t they say early on they wouldn’t be looking at Catergory 1?) and the signings of Bakinson, Harper, Edwards and, to an extent, Thompson’s loan makes me wonder if we are looking at their approach of looking at slightly older players who have fallen through other academies/being moved on.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Looks like Simpson is leaving then on 17:08 - Apr 22 with 361 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Looks like Simpson is leaving then on 08:31 - Apr 22 by ElephantintheRoom

Ahem. Once again Town loaned in a full set of other teams’ duds - that’s the real problem. To have no route through to the first team in an era of multi-substitutes is inexplicable, let alone self-harming.

We do have to loan better and run with a smaller squad. That would then give younger players the chance of some squad time and potentially pitch time.

However, it should not be forgotten that Simpson was loaned out to play at a level that seemed to suit him well. He has developed far more as a player than he would have done staying here and making the odd sub appearance when our first choice strikers were unavailable and/or off form.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024