Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Film recommendations please 14:53 - Jul 4 with 5128 viewsBluefish

Got 2 days of no football so need to be entertained. What good films that I can find on my kodi?

No sci fi fantasy type b0llocks please

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Film recommendations please on 14:56 - Jul 4 with 2975 viewshomer_123

12 Angry Men

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Film recommendations please on 14:59 - Jul 4 with 2963 viewsLord_Lucan

The Falcon and the Snowman

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Film recommendations please on 15:01 - Jul 4 with 2960 viewsBluefish

Ibwas thinking recentish films please 2017 onwards sort of thing

Film recommendations please on 15:03 - Jul 4 with 2954 viewsdavblue

Black Panther is good, depends if you like that stuff though.
Film recommendations please on 15:04 - Jul 4 with 2951 viewsJakeITFC

You Were Never Really Here
Film recommendations please on 15:05 - Jul 4 with 2940 viewsBrixtonBlue

Mick McCarthy: The Man Behind The Legend.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Film recommendations please on 15:13 - Jul 4 with 2917 viewsartsbossbeard

Unsane - decent stalker/is she mad? type offering
A Quiet Place - it's more scary than sci-fi
Game night - funnier than expected

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Film recommendations please on 09:26 - Jul 5 with 2813 viewsWeWereZombies

Dunkirk

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Film recommendations please on 09:28 - Jul 5 with 2808 viewsfireman_blue

Film recommendations please on 09:26 - Jul 5 by WeWereZombies

Dunkirk

+1 for this

also 'Inside Man' if you haven't seen it , saw it earlier this year, was out 2006, and now firmly in my top 5
Film recommendations please on 09:28 - Jul 5 with 2808 viewsGeoffSentence

Escape to victory

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Film recommendations please on 09:28 - Jul 5 with 2802 viewsblueislander

Dunkirk

Darkest Hour.
Film recommendations please on 09:31 - Jul 5 with 2796 viewsGeoffSentence

Film recommendations please on 15:01 - Jul 4 by Bluefish

Ibwas thinking recentish films please 2017 onwards sort of thing

Autumn Dreams
A Gift To Remember
A Country Wedding
Love On Safari
Yes I do
A Summer To Remember

All brilliant films.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Film recommendations please on 09:36 - Jul 5 with 2786 viewsbluevein

The Game - Sean Penn / Michael Douglas.
Film recommendations please on 09:52 - Jul 5 with 2753 viewsITFC_Forever

The Greatest Showman.

I think that's the only film that exists now. Other than the World Cup, it's on non-stop in our house. And then we we leave the house, the soundtrack comes on in the car.

I enjoyed the film, but after the 10,000th showing it starts to wane slightly.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Film recommendations please on 09:57 - Jul 5 with 2737 viewsflimflam

Three Billboards
Wind River
Hell Or High Water

Also watched Ladybird out of curiosity as not usually my type of film but was also excellent.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 9:58]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Film recommendations please on 10:04 - Jul 5 with 2720 viewsjaykay

Missing. Jack Lemon and Sissy Spacek. good old right wing, left wing views by different generations

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Film recommendations please on 10:07 - Jul 5 with 2704 viewsconnorscontract

Deep/Moody/Dark films:

Manchester-by-the-Sea
3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Both about parental grief and guilt. Both with superb performances by the leads. Both won Oscars galore, deservedly.

Fences

An adaptation of a play (and it shows a bit) with Denzel Washington taking the lead as a father who is incapable of bonding with his son. But made by the ensemble cast. Good and different.

The Girl on the Train

Disorienting journey into the mind of an addicted and confused woman who witnessed something but isn't sure what. My favourite female performance of the last couple of years. Kind of a thriller, but really a brilliant character piece.

Not quite so dark but with light and shade and depth

Wind River and Hell and High Water are both "manhunt" films which are really contemporary takes on classic Westerns. Read up on them. Wind River has just gone onto Netflix.

Arrival

80% Close Encounters 20% Inception. Zero schmaltz.

Possibly the best film of the past year is a Pixar animation:

Coco

It contains good stuff on death, mourning, grieving, and regret and a particularly strong 15 minutes on memory and dementia. Honestly. Absolutely brilliant. The first 20 minutes of Up and the last 15 minutes of Coco are amongst the very highest points of artistry of the last 20 years.

Fun films

Logan Lucky
Baby Driver

Heist films which are both good with stylistic quirks and fun.

2 good fun sports films:
I, Tonya
The one about Tonya Harding the ice Skater. Brilliant performance by Allison Janney as her batsh1t crazy mum.

Battle of the Sexes
The frothiest film in the list. Billie Jean King versus Bobby Riggs. Good fun.

Most underrated

Free Fire

An arms deal between Irish terrorists and slightly out of their level arms dealers goes very wrong indeed. A 21st century Revengers Tragedy.

Dunkirk and Darkest Hour are both brilliant but already mentioned and very good. If you like War films Hacksaw Ridge is also very good.

All the Money in the World is remarkable for the performance by Christopher Plummer who stepped in at the last minute and re-shot all of Kevin Spacey's scenes following accusations against him.

The Shape of Water is probably ruled out by your dislike of Sci-Fi/fantasy but is a stylistically "Noir" film beautifully shot and told. Probably only for people who like the idea of an "unconventional beauty" having underwater sex with the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Similarly Marvel have churned out many very good films in recent years, my favourite is Thor: Ragnarok.

If you like Amelie then The Young and Prodigious T S Spivet is a beautiful piece of whimsy.

If you like New Zealand bush adventures of wannabe 13 year old gangsters then The Hunt for the Wilderpeople probably has the smallest budget of all the films in the list but is an absolutely compelling character study. And has the funniest cringey funeral ever.

I've probably missed loads...

Oh yes:
Lion amazing true life "Adopted Indian student uses Google Earth to track down his birth family". Heart-wrenching.

Eddie the Eagle
Loads of fun.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 10:35]
Film recommendations please on 10:12 - Jul 5 with 2693 viewsBluefish

Film recommendations please on 09:52 - Jul 5 by ITFC_Forever

The Greatest Showman.

I think that's the only film that exists now. Other than the World Cup, it's on non-stop in our house. And then we we leave the house, the soundtrack comes on in the car.

I enjoyed the film, but after the 10,000th showing it starts to wane slightly.

I'm in the same boat. My 6 year old loves it, I saw it at the cinema and enjoyed it but it has been on 50 times since.

Also the wife's car doesn't have a CD player won't be CD lives in my car on a loop

Film recommendations please on 10:12 - Jul 5 with 2691 viewsBluefish

Dunkirk

Saw that at the cinema. Really enjoyed it

Film recommendations please on 10:13 - Jul 5 with 2690 viewsBluefish

Film recommendations please on 09:28 - Jul 5 by blueislander

Darkest Hour.

Saw that on a plane. Really good

Film recommendations please on 10:14 - Jul 5 with 2687 viewsBluefish

Film recommendations please on 09:57 - Jul 5 by flimflam

Three Billboards
Wind River
Hell Or High Water

Also watched Ladybird out of curiosity as not usually my type of film but was also excellent.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 9:58]

I loved 3 billboards. Saw that on a plane too

Film recommendations please on 10:17 - Jul 5 with 2682 viewsBluefish

Film recommendations please on 10:07 - Jul 5 by connorscontract

Deep/Moody/Dark films:

Manchester-by-the-Sea

Both about parental grief and guilt. Both with superb performances by the leads. Both won Oscars galore, deservedly.

Fences

An adaptation of a play (and it shows a bit) with Denzel Washington taking the lead as a father who is incapable of bonding with his son. But made by the ensemble cast. Good and different.

The Girl on the Train

Disorienting journey into the mind of an addicted and confused woman who witnessed something but isn't sure what. My favourite female performance of the last couple of years. Kind of a thriller, but really a brilliant character piece.

Wind River and Hell and High Water are both "manhunt" films which are really contemporary takes on classic Westerns. Read up on them. Wind River has just gone onto Netflix.

Arrival

Coco

It contains good stuff on death, mourning, grieving, and regret and a particularly strong 15 minutes on memory and dementia. Honestly. Absolutely brilliant. The first 20 minutes of Up and the last 15 minutes of Coco are amongst the very highest points of artistry of the last 20 years.

Fun films

Logan Lucky
Baby Driver

2 good fun sports films:
I, Tonya
The one about Tonya Harding the ice Skater. Brilliant performance by Allison Janney as her batsh1t crazy mum.

Battle of the Sexes

Most underrated

Free Fire

An arms deal between Irish terrorists and slightly out of their level arms dealers goes very wrong indeed. A 21st century Revengers Tragedy.

Dunkirk and Darkest Hour are both brilliant but already mentioned and very good. If you like War films Hacksaw Ridge is also very good.

All the Money in the World is remarkable for the performance by Christopher Plummer who stepped in at the last minute and re-shot all of Kevin Spacey's scenes following accusations against him.

The Shape of Water is probably ruled out by your dislike of Sci-Fi/fantasy but is a stylistically "Noir" film beautifully shot and told. Probably only for people who like the idea of an "unconventional beauty" having underwater sex with the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Similarly Marvel have churned out many very good films in recent years, my favourite is Thor: Ragnarok.

If you like Amelie then The Young and Prodigious T S Spivet is a beautiful piece of whimsy.

If you like New Zealand bush adventures of wannabe 13 year old gangsters then The Hunt for the Wilderpeople probably has the smallest budget of all the films in the list but is an absolutely compelling character study. And has the funniest cringey funeral ever.

Oh yes:
Lion amazing true life "Adopted Indian student uses Google Earth to track down his birth family". Heart-wrenching.

Eddie the Eagle
Loads of fun.

Seen 3 billboards, girl on a train, baby driver and lucky Logan

Loved coco seen lots of times, I am a big Disney fan (going back there In october). None of the family would watch coco with me so i watched it on my own and loved it. Convinced my 6 year old to watch it and she loved it too. We've seen it loads now and the wife is jealous

Saw itonya on the plane too. Really good

Seen Eddie the eagle and all the money too. Good reccomendations
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 11:11]

Film recommendations please on 10:28 - Jul 5 with 2661 viewsconnorscontract

Film recommendations please on 10:17 - Jul 5 by Bluefish

Seen 3 billboards, girl on a train, baby driver and lucky Logan

Loved coco seen lots of times, I am a big Disney fan (going back there In october). None of the family would watch coco with me so i watched it on my own and loved it. Convinced my 6 year old to watch it and she loved it too. We've seen it loads now and the wife is jealous

Saw itonya on the plane too. Really good

Seen Eddie the eagle and all the money too. Good reccomendations
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 11:11]

I've edited loads more in!

I missed Ladybird, which is brilliant.

And I'd also add the slightly older "Boyhood" a stunning achievement shot on a relatively small budget over 12 years.

I may have missed Moonlight which is a very poignant portrayal of a neglected young man who searches for guidance and role models as he tried to navigate coming of age and coming out.
Film recommendations please on 10:40 - Jul 5 with 2642 viewsconnorscontract

Film recommendations please on 10:28 - Jul 5 by connorscontract

I've edited loads more in!

I missed Ladybird, which is brilliant.

And I'd also add the slightly older "Boyhood" a stunning achievement shot on a relatively small budget over 12 years.

I may have missed Moonlight which is a very poignant portrayal of a neglected young man who searches for guidance and role models as he tried to navigate coming of age and coming out.

And for those of you who go to the cinema:

Ocean's 8 redefines five and a half out of ten. The Wikipedia entry for five and a half out of ten should just be a link to this film.

Jurassic World was so bad that I haven't even bothered going to see the latest one in spite of having an Odeon Limitless card and it being effectively free.

The Jumanji jungle remake thing was fun, though.

The King Kong remake wasn't all that.

The Planet of the Apes series is good, but probably falls foul of your fantasy/sci fi rule.
Film recommendations please on 10:43 - Jul 5 with 2641 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Film recommendations please on 10:07 - Jul 5 by connorscontract

Deep/Moody/Dark films:

Manchester-by-the-Sea

Fences

The Girl on the Train

Arrival

Coco

Fun films

Logan Lucky
Baby Driver

2 good fun sports films:
I, Tonya

Battle of the Sexes

Most underrated

Free Fire

Oh yes:

Eddie the Eagle
Loads of fun.

Arrival? That counts your opinion out.

My vote.... the Pusher Trilogy (Danish)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024