Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? 17:24 - Nov 9 with 4469 viewsPippin1970

We still pay to go see the games but it's like there is no interest in any of the competitions. Frustrating for all the fans.
Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:25 - Nov 9 with 3923 viewsSuperblue95

Don’t pay to see the game is the simple solution to that problem.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:27 - Nov 9 with 3913 viewsRocky

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:25 - Nov 9 by Superblue95

Don’t pay to see the game is the simple solution to that problem.

But that didn't answer the question.
Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:35 - Nov 9 with 3875 viewsGeoffSentence

As we no longer take cup competitions seriously, I wonder whether we should drop two of the stars from our shirt.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:35 - Nov 9 with 3874 viewsJ2BLUE

They do care but pragmatism takes over. We are fighting for promotion. The cup can wait.

It was different under MM because we were just mid table also rans who never looked in danger, although to be fair that point seems to be down to him getting far more out of a collection of misfits than he should have.

Take a step back and look at it without dwelling on the 10 years thing. This season is it that important? If Lambert gets us re-established as mid table also rans then i'd expect him to take the cups more seriously but for now we have bigger things to worry about.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:38 - Nov 9 with 3859 viewsNotMarcusEvans

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:35 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

They do care but pragmatism takes over. We are fighting for promotion. The cup can wait.

It was different under MM because we were just mid table also rans who never looked in danger, although to be fair that point seems to be down to him getting far more out of a collection of misfits than he should have.

Take a step back and look at it without dwelling on the 10 years thing. This season is it that important? If Lambert gets us re-established as mid table also rans then i'd expect him to take the cups more seriously but for now we have bigger things to worry about.

But I really want to win the historic Leasing.com trophy.
Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:39 - Nov 9 with 3851 viewsJ2BLUE

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:38 - Nov 9 by NotMarcusEvans

But I really want to win the historic Leasing.com trophy.

Well it would be a trip to Wembley. That's all it's got going for it.

Truly impaired.

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:45 - Nov 9 with 3832 viewsNotMarcusEvans

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:39 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

Well it would be a trip to Wembley. That's all it's got going for it.

Not for me. I live in Northolt.
Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:50 - Nov 9 with 3807 viewsquirkie

Pathetic our club not even trying in the competition. Getting confidence up by winning helps winning. Totally the wrong attitude we have to cups and needs to change because our current attitude hasn't worked one iota in the last 15 years has it.

Try something different like actually winning games in the cup and see if it helps in our league form.

Treating players with kid gloves is a bit big girls blouse stuff. Christ sake they should be fit young men in their 20s. Heaven forbid they get a real job to do.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Login to get fewer ads

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:51 - Nov 9 with 3806 viewsTractorWood

Because we have no hope of winning them (bar the windscreen mug thing) and our managers are judged on solely on their league performance. Now we have a pointless replay in a cup we'll never even get past the 4th round, let alone win.

I know this will be really unpopular but it's reality. It's only frustrating if you engage with it. I'd rather go to a garden centre than an Ipswich cup game. I've been there - Pompey away a few years back. A total waste of time, money and effort.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:56 - Nov 9 with 3788 viewsSwansea_Blue

I hate the disresect they've shown. It's takes far fewer matches to win the FA Cup than the league and it delivers more intersting matches if you get big draws. Fair enough if we had a top of the table match on Tuesday, but we don't.

Can anyone remember when we beat Arsenal under McParland in the Leaugue cup in 10/11? And who scored? Right, now without looking it up what were the matches either side of that and the goalscorers? Well, that's why I love the cups.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:59 - Nov 9 with 3765 viewsJ2BLUE

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:56 - Nov 9 by Swansea_Blue

I hate the disresect they've shown. It's takes far fewer matches to win the FA Cup than the league and it delivers more intersting matches if you get big draws. Fair enough if we had a top of the table match on Tuesday, but we don't.

Can anyone remember when we beat Arsenal under McParland in the Leaugue cup in 10/11? And who scored? Right, now without looking it up what were the matches either side of that and the goalscorers? Well, that's why I love the cups.

Millwall away in the league or Chelsea away in the cup?

Truly impaired.

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 18:07 - Nov 9 with 3747 viewsRocky

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:51 - Nov 9 by TractorWood

Because we have no hope of winning them (bar the windscreen mug thing) and our managers are judged on solely on their league performance. Now we have a pointless replay in a cup we'll never even get past the 4th round, let alone win.

I know this will be really unpopular but it's reality. It's only frustrating if you engage with it. I'd rather go to a garden centre than an Ipswich cup game. I've been there - Pompey away a few years back. A total waste of time, money and effort.

Our opponents Lincoln City had no hope of winning the cup but reached the quarter finals in 2017. it had no adverse effect on their league form - quite the reverse. It gave them a huge platform to help their league form.

SBR also thankfully took the FA cup seriously in all his years here. What has happened in recent years is that rich Premier clubs - with scores of reserves worth millions of pounds - have allowed those squad players a run-out in the cup.
For some weird reason, smaller clubs like ours have followed suit - almost because it's fashionable to do so.
Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 18:20 - Nov 9 with 3705 viewsTractorWood

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 18:07 - Nov 9 by Rocky

Our opponents Lincoln City had no hope of winning the cup but reached the quarter finals in 2017. it had no adverse effect on their league form - quite the reverse. It gave them a huge platform to help their league form.

SBR also thankfully took the FA cup seriously in all his years here. What has happened in recent years is that rich Premier clubs - with scores of reserves worth millions of pounds - have allowed those squad players a run-out in the cup.
For some weird reason, smaller clubs like ours have followed suit - almost because it's fashionable to do so.

Lincoln are hardly the rule though, they are very much the exception. One of the only non-league teams to ever reach the quarter finals? Especially considering we've won it. The reality is that it's pointless distraction that we have some nostalgia for, having won it 40+ years ago, when it was far more respected.

Same happened with the Uefa cup in the early 2000's. Massive distraction with a strong waft of nostalgia.

Promotion is the only thing that matters. End of.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 18:24 - Nov 9 with 3688 viewsTrequartista

It's such a false economy as well. You put in a half-arsed line-up and end up with an extra game in the competition.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 18:26 - Nov 9 with 3685 viewsTrequartista

we've ended up with a replay - how is that pragmatic?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 18:32 - Nov 9 with 3666 viewsBasuco

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 17:56 - Nov 9 by Swansea_Blue

In previous seasons I would agree 100% with you, but this season we have something very big to go for, promotion, so why risk a length injury to a key player during the first season in ages that we need a full strength squad for as many games as possible? I have no problem what-so-ever with the team selection today or any other cup game for this season.
Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 18:55 - Nov 9 with 3622 viewsWicklowBlue

How many Prem Managers care about cups? It's a chance to give your squad a run out and build some game fitness.

The league is everything and the main financial windfall, unless (as has been mentioned) you are safely midtable and have nothing to lose.

Promotion back to the Championship needs to be our priority not a few cup games.
Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 22:58 - Nov 9 with 3493 viewsistanblue

First time I've been seriously critical of PL. There really is no excuse for making 10 changes given that we now don't have a league fixture for 2 weeks due to the Oxford game being postponed.

Understand the squad rotation thing and making a few changes, but changing all the outfield players inevitably leads to a disjointed performance. Plus, we now have another midweek game to contend with!

Ironically I can see the excuse of ''the players were rusty after having over 2 weeks off'' being used if we turn in a crap performance against Blackpool.
Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 08:38 - Nov 10 with 3268 viewsChocorange

Agree it is frustrating.

I understand why we are not picking our best eleven... There's always reasons like less games for our players, promotion is the aim , or non relegation by MM or developing players ...maybe..

But our opponents and pretty much every other team every season never make as many changes as us... Lincoln yesterday being a case in point .. Are as close to the relegation places as we were during MM reign , and have a game Tuesday in Leasing cup and a league game next Saturday , before playing us that Wednesday... Yet they made only 1 change.
Sunderland made 2 changes but need wins to get into the top 2 , surely their aim?

Our club does seem to take it less seriously than every other.. Resulting in the long run of games without a win.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2019 8:39]
Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 08:47 - Nov 10 with 3256 viewsPippin1970

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 08:38 - Nov 10 by Chocorange

Agree it is frustrating.

I understand why we are not picking our best eleven... There's always reasons like less games for our players, promotion is the aim , or non relegation by MM or developing players ...maybe..

But our opponents and pretty much every other team every season never make as many changes as us... Lincoln yesterday being a case in point .. Are as close to the relegation places as we were during MM reign , and have a game Tuesday in Leasing cup and a league game next Saturday , before playing us that Wednesday... Yet they made only 1 change.
Sunderland made 2 changes but need wins to get into the top 2 , surely their aim?

Our club does seem to take it less seriously than every other.. Resulting in the long run of games without a win.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2019 8:39]

Totally agree. It's not rocket science, promotion hopefully and cup run works wonders bringing fans back into the ground. Play your strongest 11 whenever possible as squad is big enough. Love to be in FA Cup third round against a premiership side. Did he play weaken teams when Norwich were in League 1?
Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 09:03 - Nov 10 with 3237 viewsElephantintheRoom

You've answered your own question. It's because you pay to watch these cynical, outrageous farces. Support the FA Cup and refuse to support clubs that treat it with contempt.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 09:55 - Nov 10 with 3196 viewsmonty_radio

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 18:20 - Nov 9 by TractorWood

Lincoln are hardly the rule though, they are very much the exception. One of the only non-league teams to ever reach the quarter finals? Especially considering we've won it. The reality is that it's pointless distraction that we have some nostalgia for, having won it 40+ years ago, when it was far more respected.

Same happened with the Uefa cup in the early 2000's. Massive distraction with a strong waft of nostalgia.

Promotion is the only thing that matters. End of.

But, as various posters have pointed out, still the memories come from significant games - and we rob them of that significance. But, as you say, promotion's the thing - I just can't wait for life back in the Championship where every game I watched for nigh-on two decades was so freighted with gripping importance.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 10:01 - Nov 10 with 3180 viewsBluefish

Who would have known that the 2 managers doing the same thing would be viewed so differently by our supporters. Part of a growing list including playing youngsters, too many defensive players, picking favourites, making changes, indifferent football style etc. etc..

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 10:02 - Nov 10 with 3182 viewsAce_High1

Domestic cups are a waste of time unless you can win one, which rules out anyone from Mid-table in the Prem and below.

The funniest thing is after all this time Town fans come on here surprised about us making changes? The league is all that matters, if we could withdraw from the cups before we even play I would support that.
Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 10:24 - Nov 10 with 3134 viewshadleighboyblue

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? on 10:02 - Nov 10 by Ace_High1

Domestic cups are a waste of time unless you can win one, which rules out anyone from Mid-table in the Prem and below.

The funniest thing is after all this time Town fans come on here surprised about us making changes? The league is all that matters, if we could withdraw from the cups before we even play I would support that.

Totally disagree , the cup gives smaller clubs the chance to get a game against big clubs that they wouldn't otherwise play . Who wouldn't love to see Portman Road packed to see a top club as opposition . It's not about winning in the final , it's about winning games that the fans pay good money to watch .
Colchester have got their players and fans a day out at Old Trafford , plus the cash that goes with it .
10 changes is disrespectable and with no league game next week there's no excuse for not playing a half decent team .
Paul Lambert has done so much to engage with the fans again , but yesterday was a bad bit of PR by the club
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024