Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now 22:03 - Jul 20 with 1702 viewspointofblue

Strongly reliant on agent business just to get them up there. Not quite as bad as Watford with the owners running a plethora of clubs but up there with them. Nothing wrong or illegal with it but feels like another club working the system to the detriment of football as whole.

But, as I said, I freely admit I’m probably being irrational!

ETA - basically I believe they represent everything which is wrong with modern football now.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2020 22:10]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 22:59 - Jul 20 with 1625 viewsEwan_Oozami

They should be playing in the Portugese League..

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 23:00 - Jul 20 with 1625 viewspointofblue

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 22:59 - Jul 20 by Ewan_Oozami

No, Premier League is fine but they do appear to be a case of who you know rather than what you know.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2020 23:00]

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 00:02 - Jul 21 with 1547 viewsParisBlue

To be fair to them they have spent their money well.

That said I'm not not sure how I'd feel If similar were to happen with us and whether you lose your identity. Wolves to me is more about Bull, Hibbert, Richards than the current crew.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 01:01 - Jul 21 with 1510 viewspointofblue

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 00:02 - Jul 21 by ParisBlue

That said I'm not not sure how I'd feel If similar were to happen with us and whether you lose your identity. Wolves to me is more about Bull, Hibbert, Richards than the current crew.

At what point to you accept selling the club’s soul for a bit of success?

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 06:46 - Jul 21 with 1385 viewsKeno

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 01:01 - Jul 21 by pointofblue

better than what Town have done in selling our soul for a whole heap of failure

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 08:04 - Jul 21 with 1294 viewsWarkystache

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 01:01 - Jul 21 by pointofblue

Sadly, for clubs of our size (and I think Wolves and Watford are comparable with us, if not on the pitch) this is the way forward. The Pozzos at Watford basically cheated/were clever by using their Granada connections to get players who were capable of getting them promoted from the Championship and then make them secure in the Premier.

Wolves and Fosun have utilised the Portuguese leagues and bought in players who have genuine pedigree. It's why non-football experienced owners like Evans will never be able to compete; no idea of a plan except to blindly trust bad managers with a meagre transfer budget, no team-building concept, no commitment to change.

It's sad that we make the same mistakes year after year. It'll take us a while to get promotion even back to the Championship using this model. Who knows what state we'll be in by then?

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 08:07 - Jul 21 with 1282 viewsGlasgowBlue

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 22:59 - Jul 20 by Ewan_Oozami

Global Britain at its best. Stop being a little Englander

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 08:12 - Jul 21 with 1279 viewsSwansea_Blue

Like selling to an anonymous business man who at the time was a tax exile?

Seems rather strange to single out Wolves when pretty much every transfer involves an agent. Wolves weren’t even anywhere near the big spenders in agent fees last year https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/53170215

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 08:30 - Jul 21 with 1237 viewsbluebud

...If the Wolves/Watford model had been instigated first by ME with us and had resulted in a near top 4 or 6 Premier league...

...you, me and everyone on this thread and every Ipswich supporter would have been delighted and right behind the idea.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2020 8:34]
Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 08:42 - Jul 21 with 1203 viewsSwansea_Blue

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 08:30 - Jul 21 by bluebud

...If the Wolves/Watford model had been instigated first by ME with us and had resulted in a near top 4 or 6 Premier league...

...you, me and everyone on this thread and every Ipswich supporter would have been delighted and right behind the idea.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2020 8:34]

Of course. I don’t even mind Wolves or Watford going down their respective routes. Neither are that novel.

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 09:42 - Jul 21 with 1120 viewsJohnny_Boy

Give me money spent with a whiff of success, compared to the indignity of happily finishing bottom of the league, collecting that guaranteed consolation pay-cheque & repeating the yo-yo process 5 times over 10 years.
Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 09:48 - Jul 21 with 1099 viewsRadlett_blue

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 08:04 - Jul 21 by Warkystache

Sadly, for clubs of our size (and I think Wolves and Watford are comparable with us, if not on the pitch) this is the way forward. The Pozzos at Watford basically cheated/were clever by using their Granada connections to get players who were capable of getting them promoted from the Championship and then make them secure in the Premier.

Wolves and Fosun have utilised the Portuguese leagues and bought in players who have genuine pedigree. It's why non-football experienced owners like Evans will never be able to compete; no idea of a plan except to blindly trust bad managers with a meagre transfer budget, no team-building concept, no commitment to change.

It's sad that we make the same mistakes year after year. It'll take us a while to get promotion even back to the Championship using this model. Who knows what state we'll be in by then?

The Pozzos at Watford have owned Udinese since 1986 & their model has been based on an extensive global scouting network, rather like a souped up forerunner of Benham's model at Brentford. They also owned Granada between 2009 & 2016. When they bought Watford, they owned 3 clubs & understandably channelled some of their best prospects there to secure the huge PL income. My local contacts also tell me they have neglected the once outstanding Academy at Watford, as they think it doesn't provide value for money & who can blame them? A far cry from the traditional football model. Will be interesting to see what happens if Watford are relegated.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 11:05 - Jul 21 with 1035 viewssundaze

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 09:42 - Jul 21 by Johnny_Boy

Give me money spent with a whiff of success, compared to the indignity of happily finishing bottom of the league, collecting that guaranteed consolation pay-cheque & repeating the yo-yo process 5 times over 10 years.

Give me their 5 promotions in 10 years as opposed to our 2 relegations in 20 years and not one promotion to shout about.
Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 11:21 - Jul 21 with 1025 viewsBloomBlue

I get your point but I always ask in these situations if Ipswich was in the same situation using the same methods as Wolves are would you be happy or unhappy?
Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 11:43 - Jul 21 with 992 viewsthatdamgood89

Wolves are one of the smartest clubs in football. Agents run the game so why not get one to run your club?
You literally have first refusal on a list of players and the Agent of course knows other Agents to get deals over the line.

It's not right but it's modern football and Wolves are simply leading the way for me.

Wolves have gone from League 1 to possible Champions League places...I'll take that.

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 11:48 - Jul 21 with 981 viewstractorboy1978

It's like they've discovered that recruiting well scouted, hungry, decent players and appointing a canny manager is a recipe for success.

Absolutely baffles me how people take some sort of moral high ground against the likes of Wolves, Brentford, Watford.
Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 11:50 - Jul 21 with 983 viewsJohnny_Boy

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 11:05 - Jul 21 by sundaze

Give me their 5 promotions in 10 years as opposed to our 2 relegations in 20 years and not one promotion to shout about.

But there’s been no building blocks to survive in the Premiership. Even with all those parachute payments, a ball park of roughly £400m in collective Premiership money gained, global branding etc etc - it’s ALL been squandered for one individual season’s hoorah @ short term success. Let’s diplomatically rescind that first relegation. They’ve STILL blown 4 other chances just to miserably finish in a safe 17th position.

Even Burnley & Bournemouth have managed that.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2020 12:37]
Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 12:13 - Jul 21 with 932 viewssolemio

Wolves to me is Billy Wright, Ron Flowers, Bert Williams etc. Oh dear, rather sad!
They won the League, the Cup and did well in early European competitions.
Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 12:48 - Jul 21 with 880 viewsPJH

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 12:13 - Jul 21 by solemio

Wolves to me is Billy Wright, Ron Flowers, Bert Williams etc. Oh dear, rather sad!
They won the League, the Cup and did well in early European competitions.

Eddie Clamp, Norman Deeley etc

My uncles were big Wolves fans.

I have it in my head that I saw them beat Chelsea 6-1 at Molineux and I just checked and it was on 30th December 1960 which seems about right as we went to my grandparents in Worcestershire for xmas/new year each year-I think Jimmy Greaves was playing for Chelsea.

I was in a 55000 crowd there for a night match 3-3 with WBA in the mid 1960's.
Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 12:55 - Jul 21 with 856 viewsjaykay

there more cullis, dougan,flowers etc to me.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 15:08 - Jul 21 with 804 viewsitfcjoe

I just don't see them having any identity any more, I'm not particularly jealous of their success as not the way I'd like to achieve it. they don't feel representative of their city or region.

I know Wolves fans, and Watford fans, and thy don't seem to mind at all and that their owners do invest and bring up the community with them etc so may be being a bit harsh - think it is because they don't have a core of English players

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 15:10 - Jul 21 with 802 viewsLibero

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 15:08 - Jul 21 by itfcjoe

I just don't see them having any identity any more, I'm not particularly jealous of their success as not the way I'd like to achieve it. they don't feel representative of their city or region.

I know Wolves fans, and Watford fans, and thy don't seem to mind at all and that their owners do invest and bring up the community with them etc so may be being a bit harsh - think it is because they don't have a core of English players

Watford have a few British lads in fairness - off the top of my head, Deeney, Huges, Mariappa, Foster, Gray, Cleverly, Chalobah.
Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 15:26 - Jul 21 with 785 viewsSwansea_Blue

Probably irrational but I can’t stand Wolves now on 15:10 - Jul 21 by Libero

Watford have a few British lads in fairness - off the top of my head, Deeney, Huges, Mariappa, Foster, Gray, Cleverly, Chalobah.

Yeah, they're not too bad. About in the middle of time given to British players:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/legionaereeinsaetze/wettbewerb/GB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024