Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... 13:52 - Aug 10 with 2407 viewsSitfcB

C. Ronaldo is the GOAT anyway. Messi only done it in the farmers league.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 13:57 - Aug 10 with 1914 viewsTIB

What league's below the Farmers League, because that's what he's chosen here!!! He would have achieved GOAT status for me if he'd backed up that claim he dreamed of playing under Bielsa one day and joined Leeds this season.

No beer any time soon for this guy.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:05 - Aug 10 with 1816 viewsSwansea_Blue

Another one Pompey have missed out on.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:24 - Aug 10 with 1685 viewsPrice_1991

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 13:57 - Aug 10 by TIB

What league's below the Farmers League, because that's what he's chosen here!!! He would have achieved GOAT status for me if he'd backed up that claim he dreamed of playing under Bielsa one day and joined Leeds this season.

No beer any time soon for this guy.

Ronaldo has proven he can play at the highest level in the Prem, La Liga and Serie A which for me is why he is better than Messi. Messi has only played in La Liga which is a dire league anyway but at least there was more competition that there is is Ligue 1, he's gone where the money is and how PSG aren't being investigated for FFP breaches is beyond me seeing as although they've signed Messi, Ramos and Donnarumma all on frees their wage payout must be through the roof especially as Messi has reportedly signed for 75 million euros before tax!
That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:24 - Aug 10 with 1673 viewsHerbivore

Best player of his generation (arguably of all time) decides to join one of the biggest clubs in the world. Not much to see here is there?
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 14:24]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:30 - Aug 10 with 1603 viewsPrice_1991

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:24 - Aug 10 by Herbivore

Best player of his generation (arguably of all time) decides to join one of the biggest clubs in the world. Not much to see here is there?

Is he the best player of his generation though? Just think of the likes of Ronaldo and Zlatan who are arguably just as good I would say. Also PSG are only one of the biggest clubs in the world due to their owners throwing money at them left right and centre. Ligue 1 is a crap league with no real competition
That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:31 - Aug 10 with 1591 viewsKropotkin123

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:24 - Aug 10 by Herbivore

*Second best

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:34 - Aug 10 with 1568 viewsHerbivore

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:24 - Aug 10 by Price_1991

Ronaldo has proven he can play at the highest level in the Prem, La Liga and Serie A which for me is why he is better than Messi. Messi has only played in La Liga which is a dire league anyway but at least there was more competition that there is is Ligue 1, he's gone where the money is and how PSG aren't being investigated for FFP breaches is beyond me seeing as although they've signed Messi, Ramos and Donnarumma all on frees their wage payout must be through the roof especially as Messi has reportedly signed for 75 million euros before tax!

Messi is better at football though, which is pretty crucial when determining who is the better player.

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:35 - Aug 10 with 1558 viewsHerbivore

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:30 - Aug 10 by Price_1991

Is he the best player of his generation though? Just think of the likes of Ronaldo and Zlatan who are arguably just as good I would say. Also PSG are only one of the biggest clubs in the world due to their owners throwing money at them left right and centre. Ligue 1 is a crap league with no real competition

Yes, he's the best player of his generation.

Login to get fewer ads

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:36 - Aug 10 with 1548 viewsHerbivore

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:31 - Aug 10 by Kropotkin123

*Second best

You rate Chambo higher? Not sure I agree but it's an opinion I can respect.

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:36 - Aug 10 with 1542 viewsBloomBlue

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:24 - Aug 10 by Price_1991

Although perfect move for him from a World Cup perspective. In Ligue 1 he'll only have a couple of tough games for the entire season, he'll only need to sweat during CL games all while staying match fit, by the time the WC arrives he'll still have loads of energy.
That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:38 - Aug 10 with 1529 viewsZx1988

I'd disagree. Messi has never really challenged himself, whereas Ronaldo has enjoyed massive success in, arguably, three of the four biggest leagues in the world.

A couple of seasons back when Bayern absolutely stuffed Barca in the Champions League, Messi was utterly anonymous. If it had been a Ronaldo team, you can bet your bottom dollar he'd have been leading from the front and spurring his teammates on, even at 0-4 down.

Similarly, look at what they've done with their respective national sides over the years. Ronaldo led a fairly average Portugal side to the Euro 2016 title, whereas Messi has done next to nothing with some fairly formidable Argentina sides.

Bottom line, Messi could afford to prove himself wherever he fancies, instead he's followed the money and taken the easy option.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:45 - Aug 10 with 1466 viewsHerbivore

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:38 - Aug 10 by Zx1988

I'd disagree. Messi has never really challenged himself, whereas Ronaldo has enjoyed massive success in, arguably, three of the four biggest leagues in the world.

A couple of seasons back when Bayern absolutely stuffed Barca in the Champions League, Messi was utterly anonymous. If it had been a Ronaldo team, you can bet your bottom dollar he'd have been leading from the front and spurring his teammates on, even at 0-4 down.

Similarly, look at what they've done with their respective national sides over the years. Ronaldo led a fairly average Portugal side to the Euro 2016 title, whereas Messi has done next to nothing with some fairly formidable Argentina sides.

Bottom line, Messi could afford to prove himself wherever he fancies, instead he's followed the money and taken the easy option.

Disagree with most of that. I'm not sure joining the likes of Real Madrid and a Juventus side who had won about a hundred consecutive Serie A titles is exactly the challenge you make out. There's also a lot to be said for staying at a club for as long as Messi has and being a key player in 3 or 4 different sides, all of whom have played slightly differently, all of them requiring something slightly different from him.

I don't think Messi has ever played in a 'formidable' Argentina side either, they've been a pretty flawed, unbalanced and dysfunctional bunch for much of his international career. That said, he matches Ronaldo's tally of one continental competition at international level. Neither have shown their best at a World Cup really, with Messi coming closest to doing so in 2014. And Portugal are hardly rubbish, they beat France at that Euro final without Ronaldo even being on the pitch.

I think Messi has scored more goals hasn't he? At least on a per games basis. Plus he contributes far more assists - far more - creates more chances, has more touches, completes more dribbles, has the ability to play a few different roles successfully. He's just a better footballer.

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:52 - Aug 10 with 1405 viewsVaughan8

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:45 - Aug 10 by Herbivore

Disagree with most of that. I'm not sure joining the likes of Real Madrid and a Juventus side who had won about a hundred consecutive Serie A titles is exactly the challenge you make out. There's also a lot to be said for staying at a club for as long as Messi has and being a key player in 3 or 4 different sides, all of whom have played slightly differently, all of them requiring something slightly different from him.

I don't think Messi has ever played in a 'formidable' Argentina side either, they've been a pretty flawed, unbalanced and dysfunctional bunch for much of his international career. That said, he matches Ronaldo's tally of one continental competition at international level. Neither have shown their best at a World Cup really, with Messi coming closest to doing so in 2014. And Portugal are hardly rubbish, they beat France at that Euro final without Ronaldo even being on the pitch.

I think Messi has scored more goals hasn't he? At least on a per games basis. Plus he contributes far more assists - far more - creates more chances, has more touches, completes more dribbles, has the ability to play a few different roles successfully. He's just a better footballer.

Agree Ronaldo has played for top clubs, and yes Juve won the league 10 or so times in a row but they at least have some decent teams in the league....

OK PSG didn't win the league last year or when Monaco won it, but mainly due to their incompetence than anything else. They should be wiping the floor with most teams in the league.

I detest PSG and i'm disappointed Messi joined them.

Also can someone tell me how PSG aren't breaking FFP rules?
That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:56 - Aug 10 with 1384 viewsHerbivore

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:52 - Aug 10 by Vaughan8

Agree Ronaldo has played for top clubs, and yes Juve won the league 10 or so times in a row but they at least have some decent teams in the league....

OK PSG didn't win the league last year or when Monaco won it, but mainly due to their incompetence than anything else. They should be wiping the floor with most teams in the league.

He's been pretty open about wanting to win the Champions League again, PSG are one of a handful of sides with a realistic chance of doing so. Joining Bayern wouldn't be much more of a challenge, not sure City were in the running after spending £100m on Grealish, and Liverpool couldn't afford him either I suspect. That only really leaves PSG.

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 15:00 - Aug 10 with 1353 viewsVaughan8

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:56 - Aug 10 by Herbivore

He's been pretty open about wanting to win the Champions League again, PSG are one of a handful of sides with a realistic chance of doing so. Joining Bayern wouldn't be much more of a challenge, not sure City were in the running after spending £100m on Grealish, and Liverpool couldn't afford him either I suspect. That only really leaves PSG.

Oh I agree not many teams would be able to pay him the kind of money he would "want".

Personally I dont think PSG will ever win the Champions league (I know they've got close) due to the fact their league is poor. They don't know how to "tough it out"

Though adding Ramos and Messi will certainly help them (shame! haha)
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 15:01]
That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 15:00 - Aug 10 with 1356 viewsTractorCam

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:38 - Aug 10 by Zx1988

I love this idea that he's not as good as Ronaldo purely because he's not played in the Prem, despite all the stats going in his favour. It's a funny notion to think that all the goals/ assists/ motm performances he's put in against United, Arsenal etc in the Champions League are redundant, and he would come unstuck against those tough defences like Brighton and Newcastle.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 15:00 - Aug 10 with 1350 viewsPrice_1991

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:45 - Aug 10 by Herbivore

La Liga and Serie A are much harder leagues than Ligue 1 just look at the oposition in each, La Liga you have Real Madrid, Athletico, Villarreal, Barca etc and in Serie A you have teams like AC milan, Inter, Juve, Napoli, Roma etc all who are far better teams than any you'll find in Ligue 1. Yes Messi had been at Barca through different transition periods and been a key player for them but he's never played in any other country or league and while he is one of the best to have ever played football I don't think he is any better than Ronaldo.

For Argentina he has played alongside some outstanding world class players just think of Mascherano, Di Maria, Aguero, Ottamendi just to name a few and he's never won an International trophy until recently.
That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 15:01 - Aug 10 with 1342 viewsOsborneOneNil

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:35 - Aug 10 by Herbivore

Yes, he's the best player of his generation.

Correct.
That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 15:02 - Aug 10 with 1325 viewsTractorCam

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:30 - Aug 10 by Price_1991

ZLATAN?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 15:05 - Aug 10 with 1292 viewsHerbivore

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 15:00 - Aug 10 by Vaughan8

Oh I agree not many teams would be able to pay him the kind of money he would "want".

Personally I dont think PSG will ever win the Champions league (I know they've got close) due to the fact their league is poor. They don't know how to "tough it out"

Though adding Ramos and Messi will certainly help them (shame! haha)
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 15:01]

It's not like Ronaldo moved to Juve or Real to play for free either, mate.

PSG certainly seem to be going all out for it this year, be interesting to see whether they can get over the line. I'm not a great fan of them as a side either to be honest but I can understand why a 34 year old Messi wanting another CL title has gone there.

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 15:09 - Aug 10 with 1240 viewsJakeITFC

I've read some shiit in my time but this might take some beating.
That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 15:11 - Aug 10 with 1229 viewsHerbivore

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 15:00 - Aug 10 by Price_1991

La Liga and Serie A are much harder leagues than Ligue 1 just look at the oposition in each, La Liga you have Real Madrid, Athletico, Villarreal, Barca etc and in Serie A you have teams like AC milan, Inter, Juve, Napoli, Roma etc all who are far better teams than any you'll find in Ligue 1. Yes Messi had been at Barca through different transition periods and been a key player for them but he's never played in any other country or league and while he is one of the best to have ever played football I don't think he is any better than Ronaldo.

For Argentina he has played alongside some outstanding world class players just think of Mascherano, Di Maria, Aguero, Ottamendi just to name a few and he's never won an International trophy until recently.

The "until recently" rather makes the "has never won an international trophy" bit rather redundant. He has played with some very good players at international level, no doubt, but he's not played in a formidable side. Same goes for Ronaldo, he's had some very good team mates too but has never played in a formidable side at international level.

For me he is better than Ronaldo on pretty much every measure. Since his early years Ronaldo has basically been an out and out goalscorer often leading the line and yet Messi outscores him. Messi creates far more goals and chances too. Messi as he ages will drop back and boss games from a deeper position I expect because he's a very gifted footballer. Ronaldo doesn't have that about him, he's an athlete and a specimen but he doesn't have close to Messi's ability.

Overrated..... on 15:14 - Aug 10 with 1207 viewsBloots

....but arguably the second best footballer of his generation.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 15:15 - Aug 10 with 1204 viewschicoazul

The only people who think Ronaldo is better than Messi are United fans, Real fans, Juve fans, and people who film themselves at the gym.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 15:15 - Aug 10 with 1196 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

That poor man who was crying on the tele the other day... on 14:52 - Aug 10 by Vaughan8

No one knows if they’re breaking FFP rules as none of their finances for this season are public yet

That’s not to say they won’t end up well outside of it (possible) or that their finances won’t end up being rather creatively accounted for (probable) but as it stands no one has a clue if they will be in breach as the year hasn’t happened yet. And they may be fine anyway given that they have a huge turnover anyway which will now go through the roof

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024