Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What would have happened without the sell ons? 08:32 - Jul 9 with 2617 viewsmickeyjb

We accept that we have a 9mil deficit which came with relegation, we let players go and reduced players wages to help offset this a little. We brought in a few freebies (probably on relatively low wages) so surely we had reached an operating standard we could see the season through with. So why is this sell on money not available to use? I can only think Bart not going and the fee we would have received for him needed to be matched. Well I guess we’ve done that and more with these surely non-anticipated windfalls we are getting.

So would we have gone under without these windfalls, if not then why isn’t the money available for decent loans or nominal fees?
What would have happened without the sell ons? on 09:32 - Jul 9 with 2551 viewsGuthrum

The reduced wages and handful of released senior players are not going to have offset more than a proportion of that £9m. Added to that is the roughly £5m per annum we were losing already. The income from sell-on clauses - which is, anyway, likely to be arriving in installments, as the transfer fees are paid off - is going to see a humungous loss reduced to a moderate one ... leaving still no spare cash for transfer fees.

I doubt that attracting a player of Norwood's calibre involved low wages (certainly by L1 standards).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 09:40 - Jul 9 with 2542 viewsSouperJim

Reduces the frightening amount coming into the club to balance the books courtesy of Marcus Evans. Vaugely this was around £5m the last couple of years, before the impact of relegation. Some people equate this to lack of ambition, certainly it's less than what is needed to make us competitive.

With that said, I imagine these sell-ons must give Lambert a least a tiny bit more wriggle room than he had previously, if he makes a good case to the holder of the purse strings. Maybe a couple of loans or a shrewd January signing.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 10:17 - Jul 9 with 2484 viewsWickets

i wonder have we have noticed a little wobble once or twice from PL as i remember one interview after a home game towards the end of last season his after match interview seemed to throw doubt as to if he wanted to stay .Although within a few days he was back saying he wanted too .Now again he is saying no money available and making it clear that the task of promotion is very tough with the squad he has ,well that's my take on his latest. I now wonder did he have one or two players in mind and has been told he cannot afford them ? Maybe he has realised how tough its going to be to get the quality he needs through the door on the given budget ? He has put a brave face on losing a player to Plymouth and we are now reading links to a player Grimsby are reported as offering cash for . Suppose its no use bringing players in that are no better than the youngsters he has now added to the squad .
What would have happened without the sell ons? on 10:17 - Jul 9 with 2482 viewstextbackup

The sell on money wouldn't have even been considered in a budget for the years ahead, the sell on money has come in, and instead of ME saying "here you go my manager this x amount is to buy you a decent quality CB or LB" he's said "happy days that's £2m I haven't got to pump in"

Shot for us as fans, good for him as an owner.

But Fock it, did we expect it to be any different?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 10:23 - Jul 9 with 2467 viewsSouperJim

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 10:17 - Jul 9 by Wickets

i wonder have we have noticed a little wobble once or twice from PL as i remember one interview after a home game towards the end of last season his after match interview seemed to throw doubt as to if he wanted to stay .Although within a few days he was back saying he wanted too .Now again he is saying no money available and making it clear that the task of promotion is very tough with the squad he has ,well that's my take on his latest. I now wonder did he have one or two players in mind and has been told he cannot afford them ? Maybe he has realised how tough its going to be to get the quality he needs through the door on the given budget ? He has put a brave face on losing a player to Plymouth and we are now reading links to a player Grimsby are reported as offering cash for . Suppose its no use bringing players in that are no better than the youngsters he has now added to the squad .

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Lambert is learning what life is like as manager of Marcus Evans' ITFC. This is what Evans appears to do, gets the man he wants and then moves the goalposts to suit himself. If Lambert hadn't nailed his colours to the mast in terms of what this job means for his career (no more short term fix it jobs) I think he might have walked already. If things don't go right this season, I'm not sure he'll stick around.

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 10:41 - Jul 9 with 2410 viewsGuthrum

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 09:40 - Jul 9 by SouperJim

Reduces the frightening amount coming into the club to balance the books courtesy of Marcus Evans. Vaugely this was around £5m the last couple of years, before the impact of relegation. Some people equate this to lack of ambition, certainly it's less than what is needed to make us competitive.

With that said, I imagine these sell-ons must give Lambert a least a tiny bit more wriggle room than he had previously, if he makes a good case to the holder of the purse strings. Maybe a couple of loans or a shrewd January signing.

I still think we are likely to see a couple of frees (possibly attracted by decent wages) and maybe a loan or two (who'd say no to Chalobah again?) before the end of August.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 11:15 - Jul 9 with 2354 viewsBigManBlue

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 10:41 - Jul 9 by Guthrum

I still think we are likely to see a couple of frees (possibly attracted by decent wages) and maybe a loan or two (who'd say no to Chalobah again?) before the end of August.

Chalobah would be a steamroller for us this year. Sadly can't see him going lower than the Champ though.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 11:15 - Jul 9 with 2354 viewsSouperJim

I hope you're right, could well be the difference between getting out of this division at the first attempt or not. And if nothing else it'll shut the tiresome whingers up for a couple of days.

Login to get fewer ads

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 11:18 - Jul 9 with 2338 viewsJakeITFC

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 11:15 - Jul 9 by BigManBlue

Chalobah would be a steamroller for us this year. Sadly can't see him going lower than the Champ though.

West Brom is the link.
What would have happened without the sell ons? on 15:22 - Jul 9 with 2221 viewsbritbiker

Imagine what we could have done budget wise with the sell on money if we hadn't gone down.
What would have happened without the sell ons? on 15:40 - Jul 9 with 2187 viewsITFC_Forever

We've got loads of midfielders, so that would probably rule Trev out, but certainly someone of his calibre to play CB or up-front would be a very useful loan.

What's CCV doing these days?

Edit: Not that I'm suggesting CCV either - but a loan who can make the same impact as him / Trev.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 15:41]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 16:13 - Jul 9 with 2135 viewschristiand

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 10:23 - Jul 9 by SouperJim

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Lambert is learning what life is like as manager of Marcus Evans' ITFC. This is what Evans appears to do, gets the man he wants and then moves the goalposts to suit himself. If Lambert hadn't nailed his colours to the mast in terms of what this job means for his career (no more short term fix it jobs) I think he might have walked already. If things don't go right this season, I'm not sure he'll stick around.

PL needs Ipswich as much as the club needs PL to succeed. If he's not able to get us heading in an upward trajectory, then it doesn't look good on his managerial CV. Apart from past successes at Colchester United and Norwich City, there's not much else. If he walks quickly too, I'm sure club owners would be reluctant to appoint him in the future as he has done that far too often during recent appointments whether that is his decision or not, it just doesn't look good.

I'd love someone like PL to actually come out, pull no punches in a tell all interview how it is to manage Ipswich under the ownership of ME. I think we can all guess, but I'd love to hear it from the horse's mouth. Past managers won't talk negatively about ME and always say he's supportive, but is he really or are they just being diplomatic?
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 16:17]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 16:33 - Jul 9 with 2103 viewsWickets

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 16:13 - Jul 9 by christiand

PL needs Ipswich as much as the club needs PL to succeed. If he's not able to get us heading in an upward trajectory, then it doesn't look good on his managerial CV. Apart from past successes at Colchester United and Norwich City, there's not much else. If he walks quickly too, I'm sure club owners would be reluctant to appoint him in the future as he has done that far too often during recent appointments whether that is his decision or not, it just doesn't look good.

I'd love someone like PL to actually come out, pull no punches in a tell all interview how it is to manage Ipswich under the ownership of ME. I think we can all guess, but I'd love to hear it from the horse's mouth. Past managers won't talk negatively about ME and always say he's supportive, but is he really or are they just being diplomatic?
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 16:17]

I suppose most managers would hardly help themselves if they did talk negatively regards past owners so my take is they are indeed being diplomatic .If you read between the lines Mick's insistence that he did a great job while here ,although the target was promotion that he failed to achieve, i have always thought he wanted to add with one arm tied behind my back . Keane sort of blamed Simon Clegg for some of his problems and we all know Clegg was just ME 's yes man !
What would have happened without the sell ons? on 17:45 - Jul 9 with 2032 viewschristiand

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 16:33 - Jul 9 by Wickets

I suppose most managers would hardly help themselves if they did talk negatively regards past owners so my take is they are indeed being diplomatic .If you read between the lines Mick's insistence that he did a great job while here ,although the target was promotion that he failed to achieve, i have always thought he wanted to add with one arm tied behind my back . Keane sort of blamed Simon Clegg for some of his problems and we all know Clegg was just ME 's yes man !

You're right Wickets, but I would really enjoy one of our managers calling it how it actually is, while ME sits in his ivory tower like Mr Teflon with his feet on his desk. "That Marcus Evans fella, just lives in cloud cuckoo-land, gives you next to no money to spend while reducing the playing budget season on season, while selling your best players at a drop of a hat; still expects miracles. He might not interfere, however he's a tight old s*d that spends a penny and expects a pound in return. Don't be fooled by that calm and cuddly exterior, he might not have any plan or concept on how to run a successful football club, but he's certainly a ruthless old b*gger!"

Just for the record, my words and not PLs to avoid any confusion!!!
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 17:53]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Or if we, you know, kept them and sold them ourselves. (n/t) on 17:49 - Jul 9 with 2026 viewsScottCandage

What would have happened without the sell ons? on 20:14 - Jul 9 with 1899 viewsbraveblue

We made £5m transfer profit last summer that was not reinvested. Same with Mings money etc. No change. No ambition.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024